Donald Smith Devices too good to be true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Ged.

Yes, I did some measurements of voltage and current at the input and the output, and calculated the power input and output. The meter I was using is an ordinary digital multimeter, so the AC readings are not accurate, since the frequency was about 40 KHz. Still, these readings give some indication of what was taking place. The device was powered by a 12 volt lead acid gel cell battery of 5 ampere hour capacity.

Input voltages were measured across the resonant tank circuit composed of the L1 coil and the 0.1 uF capacitor. The output voltage was measured across the load.

# of Bulbs Input Amps Output Amps
    1 1.236 0.15
    2 1.086 0.26
    3 0.980 0.35
    4 0.905 0.40

# of Bulbs Input AC Volts Output DC Volts
    1 15.98 3.23
    2 14.65 5.12
    3 15.70 4.12
    4 15.77 3.25

# of Bulbs Input Power Output Power
    1 19.75 0.485
    2 15.9 1.331
    3 15.39 1.442
    4 14.27 1.300

As shown above, the input power requirement generally becomes less as more lamps are added to the output, yet the circuit is able to run the lamps. The lamps were miniature 7.5 volt types.

I tuned the circuit just by changing a small trimmer potentiometer used with the 555 circuit. The 555 was driving an IRF510 power MOSFET. The input tank circuit was connected to the 12 volts, and the drain of the MOSFET. The tuning is done only one time by watching for maximum brightness of the lamp or lamps. Then you can connect additional lamps and even a small DC motor.

I would like to upload pictures, but when I tried to do that it said it needed a website where it can get the pictures. I need more information on how to upload pictures from my hard disk to the forum.

Thanks.

Comment

• WorkShopelf

Hi WorkShopelf,

Thank you for the information.You should be able to upload pictures to this forum via your account.When replying, scroll down to additional options.You will see manage attachments.Click on it and a dialog box will appear.

Hope that helps.

Any plans to do further experimentation?

Ged

Comment

• Thanks Ged for the information about uploading pictures. Yes, I would like to continue these experiments. The next step is obviously to use higher voltage on the input so I can run standard 60 watt lamps on the output. I have already tried a circuit whereby I was using a power inverter and a voltage multiplier, but it fried a resistor.

I have a flyback transformer that I am planning on trying with the 555 driver. It appears that the input voltage does not need to be too high, just enough to get it down to the 110 or 120 volts, or 240 volts. Maybe from 2KV to 5KV input would work with the proper turns ratio in the air-core transformer.

My 555 driver circuit is similar to the one used by Jozef Bogin, Jr.

Attached Files

Comment

• Impressive

Originally posted by Workshopelf View Post
          Thanks Ged for the information about uploading pictures. Yes, I would like to continue these experiments. The next step is obviously to use higher voltage on the input so I can run standard 60 watt lamps on the output. I have already tried a circuit whereby I was using a power inverter and a voltage multiplier, but it fried a resistor.

I have a flyback transformer that I am planning on trying with the 555 driver. It appears that the input voltage does not need to be too high, just enough to get it down to the 110 or 120 volts, or 240 volts. Maybe from 2KV to 5KV input would work with the proper turns ratio in the air-core transformer.

My 555 driver circuit is similar to the one used by Jozef Bogin, Jr.

You are welcome

Excellent setup up you have.A complete package.Thank you for sharing your work with us.

Please stay in touch.

Very best regards,
          Ged

Comment

• making a MEG into MEGA power

I'm working on a modified MEG and they generate more power the higher the hertz. Is there anyway to modify the hertz back down to 60 after generation? If I can't remodulate it can I instead crank up the oscillation to the Kilohertz range , combine the output as pulsed DC instead of AC then step-down transform it and feed it through an inverter? OR, would filtering it through a large capacitor be better?

Here is a sketch of my modified MEG the extra ring at the top allows for less power consumption as the control coil won't "vapour lock" but will still effectively switch the magnetic circuit.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Hi Ged and all. I noticed upon checking the frequency with my meter that my driver circuit was putting out about 14 Khz, rather than 40 Khz when it was not connected to the air-core transformer. Originally, it would show a reading of about 46 Khz when using only one lead for testing the frequency of the input tank circuit.

Comment

• Workshopelf

Hi Ged and all. I noticed upon checking the frequency with my meter that my driver circuit was putting out about 14 Khz, rather than 40 Khz when it was not connected to the air-core transformer. Originally, it would show a reading of about 46 Khz when using only one lead for testing the frequency of the input tank circuit.
                Thank you for the update.Very pleased with your experiments and observations.

Your driver may be essentially kicking the tank circuit to oscillate at higher frequencies.Don's schematic had a similar spin.

Did you calculate the capacitor needed for L1 and L2 tank (measuring inductances etc)circuits?

Or as you have stated, you just tuned to brightest light you could get? Or both?

Keep up the good work!

Ged

Comment

• Yes, I measured the inductance of my L1 coil, or primary, which was about 100 microHenries. The L2 coil or secondary, was about 14 microHenries. The capacitance chosen to work with L1 was 0.1 microFarads, and the capacitance for the output tank circuit was chosen to be 1 microFarad. According to the resonant frequency formula, then, the input frequency would be: 50.329 Khz. The output frequency would be 42.536 Khz, that is, the frequency of the L2 tank circuit would be about 43 Khz. This represents a mismatch between output and input resonant frequencies, but the circuit can still be tuned to work at the output frequency. There is a neat video on the Internet that shows a circuit powered by a signal generator. He has two transformer coils connected to small incandescent lamps, and capacitors. He has the two tank circuits constructed so that both work at the same or similar resonant frequency. He tunes to the resonant frequency, and the input lamp goes off, since that lamp is in series with the input tank circuit, and it is receiving minimal current. At about the same time the output lamp goes on, because it is receiving maximum current. The video is on YouTube. I think it is titled “Energy Propagation.” This video inspired me a lot. Mr. Clean also put up a similar video.

So it looks like the input pulse circuit just gives the tank circuit a series of jolts or kicks to keep the “flywheel” spinning.

Comment

• Oh yeah. The transformer originally had a ferrite core consisting of ferrite rings glued together. Also, the wavelength of the L1 coil was calculated. I think it is about 43 or 45 feet of wire. This wavelength corresponds with a certain frequency in the Mhz range. If we use 1/2 wavelength, then the formula is Length = 468 / Frequency in Mhz. If we use 1/4 wavelength, then the formula is Length = 234 / Frequency in Mhz. Length is in feet. Thus, 234 / 5.2 Mhz = 45 feet. So if we use a frequency of 50 Khz, but the wavelength is for 5 Mhz, it would be running at the 100th harmonic of the 5 Mhz frequency.

I took the ferrite core out of the transformer since it works fine without that. It was designed originally for a Kapanadze type machine replication, but I also used information from Don Smith’s work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hrothgar View Post
                      I'm working on a modified MEG and they generate more power the higher the hertz. Is there anyway to modify the hertz back down to 60 after generation? If I can't remodulate it can I instead crank up the oscillation to the Kilohertz range , combine the output as pulsed DC instead of AC then step-down transform it and feed it through an inverter? OR, would filtering it through a large capacitor be better?

Here is a sketch of my modified MEG the extra ring at the top allows for less power consumption as the control coil won't "vapour lock" but will still effectively switch the magnetic circuit.

Hi Hrothgar. I remember reading about the MEG a number of years ago. I also read the patent. If I remember correctly, the MEG used an iron core, so you might have trouble running it at radio frequencies. If on the other hand, you use a ferrite core, you could conceivably run it at those frequencies. Then it is just a matter of synthesizing the information you find here, then somehow finding a way to convert the output to a usuable household frequency and voltage.

Good luck.

Comment

• Resonant Energy Systems

Yes, I measured the inductance of my L1 coil, or primary, which was about 100 microHenries. The L2 coil or secondary, was about 14 microHenries. The capacitance chosen to work with L1 was 0.1 microFarads, and the capacitance for the output tank circuit was chosen to be 1 microFarad. According to the resonant frequency formula, then, the input frequency would be: 50.329 Khz. The output frequency would be 42.536 Khz, that is, the frequency of the L2 tank circuit would be about 43 Khz. This represents a mismatch between output and input resonant frequencies, but the circuit can still be tuned to work at the output frequency. There is a neat video on the Internet that shows a circuit powered by a signal generator. He has two transformer coils connected to small incandescent lamps, and capacitors. He has the two tank circuits constructed so that both work at the same or similar resonant frequency. He tunes to the resonant frequency, and the input lamp goes off, since that lamp is in series with the input tank circuit, and it is receiving minimal current. At about the same time the output lamp goes on, because it is receiving maximum current. The video is on YouTube. I think it is titled “Energy Propagation.” This video inspired me a lot. Mr. Clean also put up a similar video.

So it looks like the input pulse circuit just gives the tank circuit a series of jolts or kicks to keep the “flywheel” spinning.

Hi WorkshopElf,

Wow!

I watched the Energy Propagation Video.Thanks for that:

Energy Propagation - YouTube

May I humbly suggest trying resonant multiple secondaries? You know the idea is to prove Don's postulations that multiple tuned secondaries (when properly tuned) will not load the L1 tank at all.Then the magic is to feedback from one or two of those resonant secondaries to the power source for self sustaining action.

What do you think?

Ged

Comment

• capicitor after spark gap don't work for me

when i connect the capicitor after spark gap,no light.

after i connect the capicitor before spark gap like the follow image,it light.
                          but the spark sound is very large and very hot.

i use L2=4*L1 in length and have the same weight.

the big capicitor is 2000pf 15kv small one is 500pf just for test.

if i add the needed cap to turning it resonence, will it be different?

Comment

• i have tune it resonance but not work

i have mesure primary coil have about 2uH inducdance and sec have about 20uH
                            so i think if C1=10*C2 i can make it resonance.
                            so i connect primary a 250pf cap, and secondary a 10-100pf variable cap.
                            i tune the light to brightest using the cap,but the light is dimmer compare when i using a 2000pf in primary and 250 in secondary.

so not frequence in resonance with l1 and l2 have the magic affect?
                            should i turn to the 1/4 wave length freqence?

but if i use cap,1/4 wave length frequence seems not possible,or should i
                            use 1/4 wave length frequence divide some number?

also i notice replace the spark gap with some gas dischage tube like in the follow image,the light is brighter,so i think my poor spark gap need to redesign.

Last edited by cumpood; 08-15-2013, 04:08 AM.

Comment

• Energy Amplication

May I ask you people, How can i produce High Amperage Output by using a mere High Voltage?

Any tips will be much appreciated!

Comment

• Originally posted by stupify12 View Post
                                May I ask you people, How can i produce High Amperage Output by using a mere High Voltage?

Any tips will be much appreciated!
                                He he he good question.

It's a kind of question I like very much. Man I have a dream, the magician asnwered to me how to combine a low voltage high amps from my inverter with a high volts low amps from car ignition coil ...but it was a dream, you know ? What you are asking is solvable but is also a holy grail of electric science

It's like asking : " Any tips how to get rich ? I'm having 10$ in my pocket and want to invest into something to get 1 billion next week....."

Comment

Working...
                                X