No announcement yet.

Donald Smith Devices too good to be true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The total voltage across both batteries in series has climbed from 5.26v to 5.41v

Comment

• hi janost. one benefit with this setup is both coils contribute to the return/charge.when i tried the mosfet jt unlooped and charging a 2nd bat, the output was a bit higher from both coils in series than feedback coil only, as would be expected i guess. nice work. it's looped and unlooped at the same time.
      Last edited by hotrod68r; 03-25-2013, 11:02 PM.

Comment

• Guys, anyone is very good here on calculating transformers and calculating strength of Lenz force/EM field?

Here is task for advanced physicist. We need to create set of formulas which can calculate on following:
        1) on selenoid center we have coils generating 220V 1A for easy calculation;
        2) on sides of this coil we need 2 additional coils with wider diameter wire and opposite winding to negate Lenz force:
        ====///-\\\\\\\\\\\\-///====
        3) These coils should be connected in series with generator coil and winded opposite than generator coil.

The task: what wire diameter and how many turns should be used to create opposite magnetic field nullifying theorically Lenz force as we would use them like inductive load just on same core? The few things must be followed: those coils should have minimal inductance so current and voltage losses would be minimal but because magnetic field is dominated by current only it is possible to find best result. The optimal wire diameter and turns ratios should be found for engineer to use.
        If someone could get right formulas and calculations the Lenz-less generator/secondary coil would be created...
        Last edited by T-1000; 03-25-2013, 09:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-1000 View Post
          Guys, anyone is very good here on calculating transformers and calculating strength of Lenz force/EM field?

Here is task for advanced physicist. We need to create set of formulas which can calculate on following:
          2) on sides of this coil we need 2 additional coils with wider diameter wire and opposite winding to negate Lenz force:
          3) These coils should be connected in series with generator coil and winded opposite than generator coil.

The task: what wire diameter and how many turns should be used to create opposite magnetic field nullifying theorically Lenz force as we would use them like inductive load just on same core? The few things must be followed: those coils should have minimal inductance so current and voltage losses would be minimal but because magnetic field is dominated by current only it is possible to find best result. The optimal wire diameter and turns ratios should be found for engineer to use.
          If someone could get right formulas and calculations the Lenz-less generator/secondary coil would be created...
          Faraday’s Law of Induction: Lenz’s Law

Wire Length From Coil Frequency Calculator

Wesley

Comment

• Janost, would not the critical parameters for this charging circuit be the twin coils? What if both coils are not the same inductance and/or dimensions?
            What if we add one cap across each of the coils, will that enhance the effect?
            Will the Rd(on) and internal capacity of the FET affect the performance of the circuit?
            Anyway, this is a very ingenious idea. I should try it out next week. Nice work, Janost.

aaron5120

Comment

• Originally posted by aaron5120 View Post
              Janost, would not the critical parameters for this charging circuit be the twin coils? What if both coils are not the same inductance and/or dimensions?
              What if we add one cap across each of the coils, will that enhance the effect?
              Will the Rd(on) and internal capacity of the FET affect the performance of the circuit?
              Anyway, this is a very ingenious idea. I should try it out next week. Nice work, Janost.

aaron5120
              A cap across each of the coils makes it resonant.
              But it also extends the switching time for the mosfet.

Resistors are a big no no in circuits like this.
              You dont want to dissipate energy as heat but put it to useful work.

A low Rds(on) keeps the power dissapated low.
              The IRFP-460 have a Rds(on) of only 0.27ohm

Yes, I think the Gate capacitance affects the coil.

I also tried with a cap instead of the right battery.
              That also works but it is sensitive to what size of cap choosen.
              Last edited by janost; 03-26-2013, 07:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by aaron5120 View Post
                Janost, would not the critical parameters for this charging circuit be the twin coils? What if both coils are not the same inductance and/or dimensions?
                Its not twin or 2 coils.
                It is a single coil 40turns with a centertap.

Comment

• This might also work with just a single battery.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• I think the 2 battery version is the best option.
                    It does both balancing and charging.

I have to leave it running over night to see what happens.

Comment

Guys, anyone is very good here on calculating transformers and calculating strength of Lenz force/EM field?

Hi T-1000. I am not advanced at physics, but here are a few thoughts.
                      To try to keep things simpler, I will use the example of an air core coil where the length of the coil is much greater than the diameter of the coil. For this case we have this formula:
                      B = (Uo x N x I)/l
                      Where:
                      B = magnetic flux density within the coil core
                      Uo = magnetic constant
                      N = number of turns
                      I = current
                      l = length of coil

Since Uo is a constant, we can ignore it.
                      So the magnetic flux density produced by an air core coil where the length is much greater than the diameter is directly proportional to the number of turns in the coil and the current through the coil, and inversely proportional to the length of the coil.

I believe the magnetic flux produced by a coil relates directly to the counter EMF produced by a coil, in that the counter EMF (back EMF) produced is proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic flux lines that cut through the coil windings as the coil's magnetic field is building up. Once the magnetic field has built up to its maximum value, I believe there should be no more counter EMF produced in the coil at that point, as the counter EMF is only produced when the magnetic field is building (changing) and the flux lines are in motion and cutting through the coil windings.

Since you will be driving the primary and two extra coils with the same current and wound on the same coil form axis, I think that if you make the total B of the two extra coils equal to the B of the primary coil (just need to consider the variables of N and l since the current is the same), the counter magnetic field produced by the two counter wound extra coils should act to cancel the magnetic field of the primary. However, if using air core coils, if your two extra coils are not wound directly over the primary but are over to each side of the primary winding, the total magnetic field B produced by each extra coil added together would have to be somewhat greater than the B of the main primary winding to get full cancelling, unless your extra coils are wound on something like a toroid or ferrite rods where most of the counter magnetic flux produced by the extra coils passes through the primary coil even when the extra coils are wound to either side of the main primary coil. Keep in mind that each extra coil also generates a counter EMF within each coil. So, although you create a counter magnetic field with the extra coils, each extra coil is also producing its own counter EMF within each coil which acts to impede the primary current that is flowing through all the coils. So, it would seem that you can't win for losing.

Personally I think it might well be easier to just build some experimental setups where you can try different number of windings and positioning for the extra coils and measure the overall results. I have done some experiments with similar sorts of setups, and although I have seen some interesting results, I have not measured over unity. The problem is as I mentioned above that any extra windings you add, whether counter wound or not, produce their own counter EMF. So when you add an extra winding to try to counter the back EMF of another coil, you end up creating a new back EMF to deal with.

Question for you. Why do you think that your arrangement with the two extra coils on either side of the primary winding would be different than just using a caduceus winding or counter connected bifilar winding for the primary coil?
                      Last edited by level; 03-26-2013, 07:04 PM.
                      level

Comment

• Feedback Module

Hello Guys,

I am enjoying the discourse the experiments the thoughts suggestions etc.

I need a little help in creating a feedback mechanism to make my device self powering.I have looked at Kapandanze, SR193,Romakov, etc for ideas.Even Zilano's schematics as well.Never saw one in Don's videos but he has explained how it can be done.

I am thinking about taking the power from the inverter module @ 60hz, rectifying it and pulsing the output back to a resovoir capacitor calculated to give the required amps and voltage to run the driver module of my setup.

Am I on the right track, any other good ways in which i could do this?

Thanks

Ged

Comment

• A Lenzless Coil

T-1000, Stivep:
                          From what I understand, this would be an example of a Lenzless coil. (See the attached picture).

You can make this by winding a bifilar coil with both windings wound in the same direction, and then connect the ends of each coil on one end together, and feed the coil from the other two ends. You end up with a Lenzless coil, but that means you now have no inductance as well. In other words, if you really create a Lenzless coil, you no longer have an inductor. You just have a conductor. Basically, the Lenz effect is what makes an inductor be an inductor. Cancel the Lenz effect and you no longer have an inductor.

I believe that this resulting zero inductance means that you generate no magnetic field, since the magnetic fields from each half of the bifilar coil are exactly cancelling. Actually I think that it is not that you are not generating a magnetic field, but the two counter magnetic fields produced by each coil in the bifilar winding are exactly cancelling, so the net result is just like there is no magnetic field being generated. So that is maybe something to think about. Even though you have two magnetic fields that are exactly cancelling, can you still somehow make use of one or both of those magnetic fields separately?

Maybe that is what you are trying to achieve by putting your extra coils off to each side, so that the main primary coil can still be accessed separately from the extra coils? So, if you can create an overall cancelling magnetic field that is distorted in shape somehow, although the overall magnetic field is completely cancelling, there may be locations where the magnetic field is not completely cancelling, or not cancelling at all.
                          Sort of like this, where the yellow is the cancelling part of the magnetic field:

Maybe that is not really useful though. Just something to think about.

Regarding the Lenzless bifilar coil design shown in the attached picture, I connected a bifilar wound coil up in this way and measured a small inductance of about 18uH (although it was a big bifilar coil with many windings), so in practice in the real world with a less than perfectly wound coil, you will still likely have a little inductance left. I think this type of bifilar winding is used in low inductance wire-wound resistors, since if wound really well, you will end up with very little inductance, and are left with just the resistance of the wire used to wind the resistor.
                          Last edited by level; 04-05-2016, 11:09 PM.
                          level

Comment

• Originally posted by Gedfire View Post
                            Am I on the right track, any other good ways in which i could do this?
                            Hi Ged. If, for example, your generator module is powered by 12VDC, and the output of your device is an AC inverter, you would just need to tap the output of the inverter into a step down transformer to step down to 12V or so, and put that into a bridge rectifier and filter cap and then into a 12VDC regulator to get exactly 12VDC to try to run the generator module with.
                            level

Comment

• Hi,

Seems it is always better with drawing so I made quick sketch for better understanding with what I am trying to say. Hopefully it will be more clear picture what calculations are needed for.
                              My first foughts on that setup - the primary would not be affeted and secondary would generate volts/amps from available magnetic field in iddle running primary. So no OU on that stage. But as soon as you swap it to magnets and spin them from electrical motor the result will change drastically to OU device because there will be no drag introduced when loading motor-generator coils...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

Seems it is always better with drawing so I made quick sketch for better understanding with what I am trying to say. Hopefully it will be more clear picture what calculations are needed for.
                                My first foughts on that setup - the primary would not be affeted and secondary would generate volts/amps from available magnetic field in iddle running primary. So no OU on that stage. But as soon as you swap it to magnets and spin them from electrical motor the result will change drastically to OU device because there will be no drag introduced when loading motor-generator coils...
                                Ok, I see you were talking about doing this on the secondary rather than on the primary, but I think the result will be the same. In one case you are generating the counter EMF due to driving the primary with a current, and in the case of the secondary windings, you are generating a counter magnetic flux to the magnetic flux generated by the primary winding. I believe it is the same end result however. See my previous two posts, posted today.
                                Last edited by level; 03-26-2013, 10:09 PM.
                                level

Comment

Working...
                                X