Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dave45 View Post
    [url]
    "It is well-known that explosive emission plasma serves as an almost infnite source of electrons."
    Interesting Dave.
    It might be worthwhile to run tests using different materials as the sparkgap electrodes to
    see if there is any measureable difference in performance.
    Last edited by level; 02-28-2013, 05:52 PM.
    level

Comment

• hi clarence.i would like your verdict on a couple of assumptions and a query.in the pic is A spot on for an optimized coil to lead connection,either way round?when a cap is required across the coil is B the right/best way to join the cap,when the coil wire is skinny? and C,do you know if there is any improvement in the resonance if you merge the cap lead diameter to that of the coil wire when it is fat? ignore the straight bits of coil wire in the pic. i'm guessing they should be minimised or eliminated in practice. appreciate all your input. cheers.
      Last edited by hotrod68r; 07-06-2013, 06:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by hotrod68r View Post
        hi clarence.i would like your verdict on a couple of assumptions and a query.in the pic is A spot on for an optimized coil to lead connection,either way round?when a cap is required across the coil is B the right/best way to join the cap,when the coil wire is skinny? and C,do you know if there is any improvement in the resonance if you merge the cap lead diameter to that of the coil wire when it is fat? ignore the straight bits of coil wire in the pic. i'm guessing they should be minimised or eliminated in practice. appreciate all your input. cheers.
        Hello hotrod68r,

Clarence,

I think that whenever you are making a connection to a coil, especially in reference to a L1 coil the connection the solder connection should very close to the end of the coil wire but not covering any of the flat end surface and use minimal solder on the side of the connector that is away from the coil end so that no solder flows over on to the flat surface of the coil end (a lot of words to say a little) and distorts the standing wave reflection back towards the input end. this should apply to attaching caps , etc.

you really need to read Richard T. Quick Patent #US 7,973,296 5th July,2011 where he explains in complete detail the operation of standing wave transmission and does it in a comprehendable way so that you can absorb it completely. you will definitely get a lot out of it and it answers many questions for all of us who are involved in Tesla and Don Smith builds. Patrick J Kelly advocated the same thing way back in Page # 226 on this forum thread!

I have that patent info saved on my comp in a html file but I cant send it in that form as a thumbnail - at least I haven't taken the time and effort to try.
        If you cant pull up the patent then maybe give me a PM and I can then send it to you by an e-mail or whatever and then you can pass it on to other members. LOL

hope this helps.
        as always, mike, onward!

Comment

• cheers clarence.i'll look it up.can you say either way on the merging,gradually matching little cap wire to fat coil wire idea?

Comment

• Originally posted by hotrod68r View Post
            cheers clarence.i'll look it up.can you say either way on the merging,gradually matching little cap wire to fat coil wire idea?
            Hello hotrod68r,

Clarence,

oops, sorry I forgot to answer that part. Yes that is the method I am using to attach my resonate cap to my L1 coil. I attach the cap to two added length leads and use a ring connector attached to those two added cap end leads, and the ring hole dia is the size to slide snuggly over the very end of the L1 coil fat end of its wire and then solder on the side away from the reflection end so as not to distort it.

hope that helps, LOL

mike, onward!

Comment

• Hi hotrod68r/clarence. I didn't come across anything in Richard Quick's patent application notes about how to connect a wire lead to the end of a coil wire. Did I miss something? Richard's patent involves driving two spiral coils from the outer end of each coil, and the inner (reflecting) ends of each coil have no connection to them. So for Richard's patent, it would make sense to worry about having the unconnected end of the spiral coils cut square to maximize a clean reflection, although I have to wonder how much of a difference the squareness of the cut of the reflecting wire end would really make at frequencies in the lower kHz range. At higher frequencies I could see that starting to matter more, as the difference in length of the wires at the tip when cut square or cut diagonally would become more of a significant portion of a wavelength at higher frequencies.

In Richard's patent notes, Richard does mention that as long as the reflecting end of the wire is cut fairly square that it should work well enough to reflect the waveform back cleanly. I wonder if the part about using different wire sizes to connect to the ends of a coil came from Patrick Kelley, and not Richard Quick? Thinking about it, I don't think this concept of having the reflecting end of the coil wire cut square would really apply if you are connecting a capacitor across both ends of a coil to form a parallel tank circuit. In the case of a tank circuit, it seems you wouldn't want the waveform to reflect back from the end of the coil, but instead it should maximally charge the corresponding capacitor plates with each positive and negative cycle. My guess is it wouldn't make much difference how you cut and connect the ends of the coil to the parallel cap leads as long as it is a good solid electrical connection. Don Smith seems to have just used regular clamping terminal strips connectors for most of his connections on his demo boards.
              Last edited by level; 03-01-2013, 02:19 PM.
              level

Comment

• Originally posted by level View Post
                Hi hotrod68r/clarence. I didn't come across anything in Richard Quick's patent application notes about how to connect a wire lead to the end of a coil wire. Did I miss something? Richard's patent involves driving two spiral coils from the outer end of each coil, and the inner (reflecting) ends of each coil have no connection to them. So for Richard's patent, it would make sense to worry about having the unconnected end of the spiral coils cut square to maximize a clean reflection, although I have to wonder how much of a difference the squareness of the cut of the reflecting wire end would really make at frequencies in the lower kHz range. At higher frequencies I could see that starting to matter more, as the difference in length of the wires at the tip when cut square or cut diagonally would become more of a significant portion of a wavelength at higher frequencies.

In Richard's patent notes, Richard does mention that as long as the reflecting end of the wire is cut fairly square that it should work well enough to reflect the waveform back cleanly. I wonder if the part about using different wire sizes to connect to the ends of a coil came from Patrick Kelley, and not Richard Quick? Thinking about it, I don't think this concept of having the reflecting end of the coil wire cut square would really apply if you are connecting a capacitor across both ends of a coil to form a parallel tank circuit. In the case of a tank circuit, it seems you wouldn't want the waveform to reflect back from the end of the coil, but instead it should maximally charge the corresponding capacitor plates with each positive and negative cycle. My guess is it wouldn't make much difference how you cut and connect the ends of the coil to the parallel cap leads as long as it is a good solid electrical connection. Don Smith seems to have just used regular clamping terminal strips connectors for most of his connections on his demo boards.
                Hello Level,

Clarence,

back in Patricks update version 20.8 was when I downloaded his patent info and at the same time I found his recomended methods for lead connections to coil ends in an illustrated format and I thought I had downloaded that info also but I have searched all my files and it wasn't there. you are correct in saying that the wire size info was not included inside the patent info. I have spent time again trying to locate his wire size illustration but no results yet. I definitely hate that because it was very neat and informative, I thought, since we are dealing with standing wave operation in our L1 coils for its magnetic wave disturbance of the ambient to provide the additional energy to L2. Ill keep trying until I find it again.

as always, mike onward!

Comment

• Originally posted by clarence View Post
                  Hello Level,
                  Clarence,
                  back in Patricks update version 20.8 was when I downloaded his patent info and at the same time I found his recomended methods for lead connections to coil ends in an illustrated format and I thought I had downloaded that info also but I have searched all my files and it wasn't there. you are correct in saying that the wire size info was not included inside the patent info. I have spent time again trying to locate his wire size illustration but no results yet. I definitely hate that because it was very neat and informative, I thought, since we are dealing with standing wave operation in our L1 coils for its magnetic wave disturbance of the ambient to provide the additional energy to L2. Ill keep trying until I find it again.
                  as always, mike onward!
                  Hi Clarence. Don't go to any trouble. The idea is interesting, but a person could experiment with different methods of connection to the coil lead ends to see experimentally how it impacts results.
                  Last edited by level; 03-01-2013, 05:22 PM.
                  level

Comment

• thanks for your help clarence.yeah level,it sounds like a good reflection is desirable at the ends of the coil or tank circuit to stop the rest of the circuit from having any effect on the resonance but undesirable where the cap meets the coil.presumably a smooth progression or graduation like clarence uses,where you have a small cap lead and a fat coil wire would minimise reflections and maximise resonance and flow between the two.has anyone heard from mr clean.is he still makin pancakes.
                    Last edited by hotrod68r; 03-01-2013, 05:48 PM.

Comment

• curious if anyone has reports/results from trials with steve jacksons open source mini tesla coil project.
                      Last edited by hotrod68r; 07-06-2013, 06:40 AM.

Comment

• Hi all, im so excited to see all the experimenting and productivity here.

Ive been away experimenting, just thought id share the driver im using right now, its nothing new and was posted here previously by julu i think the name was, it is also popular on freeenergyLT where many are claiming ou
                        anyway it works excellent for driving the BiTT, and im thinking of redoing the Smith with a ....center tapped... Primary
                        Imageshack - imag1362f.jpg

its an overvolted 12v 4 watt incandescent with 21v perfect sine wave across it, running on 5.2 watts presently, but i just wanted to see if it worked, switched it on and it ran beautifully, but i think i can still get it working better with chosen resistances rather than the arbitrary values suggested in this particular circuit.
                        Last edited by mr.clean; 03-02-2013, 05:06 AM.
                        In the beginner's mind, there are many possibilities.
                        In the expert's mind there are few.
                        -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• here is the circuit, values can be altered and the freq is self-set by way of the coil and cap values. 22khz here on the BiTT, and it works on my bifilar pancake if you use the center connection as center tap. with the pancake is operates at 153khz. its very cool
                          Imageshack - imag07671.jpg
                          -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• hi mr clean.your back.i don't know if you have detailed your pancake coil construction here previously.do you have any preferences when connecting leads to coils and caps to coils.cheers.

Comment

• Originally posted by mr.clean View Post
                              here is the circuit, values can be altered and the freq is self-set by way of the coil and cap values. 22khz here on the BiTT, and it works on my bifilar pancake if you use the center connection as center tap. with the pancake is operates at 153khz. its very cool
                              Imageshack - imag07671.jpg
                              Hi Mr. Clean. Here is a schematic that someone drew up which appears to have values very close to the circuit from Juju.
                              It shows all the part numbers.
                              Mazilli Flyback Driver:

level

Comment

• Originally posted by level View Post
                                Hi Mr. Clean. Here is a schematic that someone drew up which appears to have values very close to the circuit from Juju.
                                It shows all the part numbers.
                                Mazilli Flyback Driver:

nice job buddy, it really is a great circuit, and it could make any spark gap setup into solid state like the GeGen pancake thingy

btw how do you post pics so huge like that? im still an untrained forum user
                                -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

Working...
                                X