• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donald Smith Files Unplugged!

Originally posted by soundiceuk View Post
    Hi everyone!

The lid is off the Don Smith files!!!!

I am going to be removing the files from my Dropbox very soon because I need the hard drive space.

After a disaster with my hard drive I haven't got some of the videos, Editior and Mladen helped me with.

I also haven't got a copy of Don Smith's Library anymore.

For those of you who have the files, feel free to share as much as you want.

All the best!

Paul

Hey Soundicuek!

You have done it again.THANKS MAN!

Please, if anyone has anything to share please send me a link, pm or xibes@yahoo.co.uk

Best regards,
    Ged

Comment

• @mrClean

Is this what you are saying about putting the cap and load in series with the spark gap in parallel across both of them, or or am I still missing it?

mcts2.png
      William Reed

Comment

• hi there, no not really what you posted is interesting, i should try that!
        but here is what i meant...
        Imageshack - imagecgx.jpg
        the cap and gap can be exchanged for one another

but here is what im doing now...
        Imageshack - imagenxpa.jpg
        Last edited by mr.clean; 01-27-2013, 06:54 PM.
        In the beginner's mind, there are many possibilities.
        In the expert's mind there are few.
        -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• Originally posted by mr.clean View Post
          hi there, no not really what you posted is interesting, i should try that!
          but here is what i meant...
          Imageshack - imagecgx.jpg
          the cap and gap can be exchanged for one another

but here is what im doing now...
          You would want as few resistors as possible in your circuit.
          They just dissipate heat robbing you of power.

The thing is to charge a capacitor with as little power as possible.
          Then discharge it, without resistance, into a coil.

A sparkgap does that.
          Last edited by janost; 01-27-2013, 08:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by janost View Post
            You would want as few resistors as possible in your circuit.
            They just dissipate heat robbing you of power.

The thing is to charge a capacitor with as little power as possible.
            Then discharge it, without resistance, into a coil.

A sparkgap does that.
            Oh yes certainly, the point of the resistors in the circuit at all was to monitor current in and out.

i have found that regardless of whether HV low current, or low V high current,
            flow = flow
            and the overall power will show itself in heat dissipated in the resistors...

...and so my point is... the output R is several times the temperature of the input R

i see that as interesting and worth looking further.
            Also ive found it's far more beneficial to let your load experience the ground flow rather than trying to transfer as best you can, which due to tuning may only yield less power?
            the gain in my opinion here being the fact that all NST power is on one side of Cap (with BOTH diodes coming together)
            , and forcing the ground to charg the Neg of Cap (1=.5+.5)
            anyway yes i would take those resistors out for usage, that was just to take current readings....

...then i couldnt help notice when i burned my fingers on output R, while input R was only warm

anyway, enjoy it should eliminate all tuning other than selecting the spark-gap width and Cap size, both based on driver transformer's power.
            (right now i use a 10kv.1uf cap =5 Joules, and meter was able to follow accurately 250hz
            BUT recently i switched to 20kv.05uf, and seems gentler on the caps
            And if you use the neg of FWBR, very little power... if you use the Pos of rectifier and ground, Most power...
            ...with both Pos rectifiers, and without ground... No power
            And dont worry about the loss of power thru output R's heat... it still drives the power thru to the load, BUT yes.its EVEN brighter without the R
            Last edited by mr.clean; 01-27-2013, 09:22 PM.
            -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

Oh yes certainly, the point of the resistors in the circuit at all was to monitor current in and out.
              i have found that regardless of whether HV low current, or low V high current,
              flow = flow
              and the overall power will show itself in heat dissipated in the resistors...
              ...and so my point is... the output R is several times the temperature of the input R
              i see that as interesting and worth looking further.
              Hi mr clean. There you go again. In AC circuits, power is the product of RMS voltage times RMS current. If the RMS voltage at the input is a fair bit higher than the RMS voltage across the load, then you can have a fair bit higher current flowing through the load and still not have as high an output power as is being supplied into the system. Yes, you have high voltage spikes/pulses across the load, but they may well be very short duration, so the equivalent RMS voltage of those short duration spikes/pulses may not be all that high as you might think. The RMS voltage across your load may possibly be a fair bit less than the RMS input voltage. The bottom line is with these types of complex AC waveforms, you really can't say for sure unless you make proper measurements. Capacitive discharge sparkgap circuits like you are testing with may possibly give over unity, but as you know there is no way to know one way or the other for certain without making proper measurements.

You can make fairly accurate voltage and current measurements even on circuits that produce high voltage and high current spikes/pulses, but the proper equipment and proper sensors/probes can be fairly expensive. It really may be somewhat easier and cheaper overall to just step the voltage down using a step down transformer arrangement, and then rectify the output to DC. Sure the step down transformer and rectifiers will introduce some losses, but if you really are getting a fair bit more power out than being put in, losing maybe a few watts in losses shouldn't matter all that much. I know you have said you don't really care about making proper power measurements, but I just thought I would mention this again in case some other people out there are experimenting with the same sorts of setups with complex AC waveforms, and running into the same sort of issues with trying to accurately determine power in and power out
              level

Comment

• Originally posted by level View Post
                Hi mr clean. There you go again. In AC circuits, power is the product of RMS voltage times RMS current. If the RMS voltage at the input is a fair bit higher than the RMS voltage across the load, then you can have a fair bit higher current flowing through the load and still not have as high an output power as is being supplied into the system. Yes, you have high voltage spikes/pulses across the load, but they may well be very short duration, so the equivalent RMS voltage of those short duration spikes/pulses may not be all that high as you might think. The RMS voltage across your load may possibly be a fair bit less than the RMS input voltage. The bottom line is with these types of complex AC waveforms, you really can't say for sure unless you make proper measurements. Capacitive discharge sparkgap circuits like you are testing with may possibly give over unity, but as you know there is no way to know one way or the other for certain without making proper measurements.

You can make fairly accurate voltage and current measurements even on circuits that produce high voltage and high current spikes/pulses, but the proper equipment and proper sensors/probes can be fairly expensive. It really may be somewhat easier and cheaper overall to just step the voltage down using a step down transformer arrangement, and then rectify the output to DC. Sure the step down transformer and rectifiers will introduce some losses, but if you really are getting a fair bit more power out than being put in, losing maybe a few watts in losses shouldn't matter all that much. I know you have said you don't really care about making proper power measurements, but I just thought I would mention this again in case some other people out there are experimenting with the same sorts of setups with complex AC waveforms, and running into the same sort of issues with trying to accurately determine power in and power out
                yep thats true, but the fact that the input resistor is theoretically using lower voltage and higher current (if the NST is putting out HV) and the output theoretically must be less due to losses (so HV at even LESS amps)

wouldnt higher current be the heater on the resistor, not HV ?
                (thats what my experience has shown me anyway) seen in the choice of wire sizes that factory products use (NST ends are 20 gauge, but the input wires had to be 14gauge? most NST's in general being 90%+ efficient, its close to the same power in and out, but wires were different based on current in and out, right?
                and as far as i can tell from having this configuration, the last time i was scoping the primary this was the wave form and the peak is the voltage max on the cap, being 10-20kv in my case
                ... BUT this is actually only showing the build-up...
                ...the pulse to the load i haven't scoped yet (until i get a HV probe or make one)
                i guess the pulse would look like a 5 joule pulse at 10-20kv at 250hz firing rate

at any rate, anyone who has been working with this stuff could easily Remove the coils from their Smith build, and try it out.
                i guess the best thing would be to use halogen bulbs as i have.

all im saying is this is the beginning of a whole new method not involving tuning coils,
                and that putting the output of NST thru half wave diodes, then connecting them to put all NST power into one and use the ground for your Neg ... provides more power than the Neg from the FWBR

this is by no means the end result
                Now i plan to try some things with bifilar coils and such to try to establish any further increase in performance, or if it is all relative to squaring what you put in? 100% from NST + 100% from ground = 200% ? (if using the ground like in my schem)

anyway, it goes without saying about measurements and trying to make claims, if i was inventing something new i prob would be more reluctant to share, except
                im just experimenting with what ive interpreted, but i feel pretty confident with this concept
                Last edited by mr.clean; 05-09-2013, 06:05 AM.
                -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

wouldnt higher current be the heater on the resistor, not HV ?
                  Yes, it is defintely higher current through the 1 ohm resistor (or whatever you are using), which also causes a larger voltage drop across the one ohm resistor, that makes it get hotter, but for power delivered to the whole load in its entirety, you have to look at the RMS current through the entire load times the RMS voltage across the entire load. So all that I am saying is that it is a possible scenario that the RMS voltage across the entire load might not be really high, although the current is definitely pretty high if it is heating up your 1 ohm resistor. For a given voltage, the lower the resistance the more current that will flow, so even though the RMS voltage may not be really high, if the total load resistance is not high you can still have a fair bit of current flowing. Depends on the total power available of course. Consider this. 0.4A x 60V = 24 Watts, but also, 12V x 2A = 24 Watts. One has a much higher current, but both amount to the same power. That is what I am getting at, and just saying that until actual numbers are known it would be hard to say for certain what is going on. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that I think your sparkgap circuit is definately not producing over unity, as it might possibly be doing so, and I think that William Alek has a webage where he claims that he has measured over unity with some multi-sparkgap arrangements, so it definately seems worth pursuing to me. Both Kapanadze and Don Smith seem to have used this same type of setup, and also Tesla with his magnifying transmitter had at least some similarities, so there does seem to be some real potential there for sure. That's why I am also experimenting with these same type of setups.
                  Last edited by level; 01-28-2013, 05:05 PM.
                  level

Comment

• hi guys and girls.first post ever.just want to know how serious are health implications for pacemaker equipped people in the vicinity of these projects.
                    i've seen some stern warnings on the net.maybe i have to stick to low power jt-sec-av plug circuits until i move to a different place.all the best to everyone here.

Comment

• Originally posted by hotrod68r View Post
                      just want to know how serious are health implications for pacemaker equipped people in the vicinity of these projects.
                      i've seen some stern warnings on the net. maybe i have to stick to low power jt-sec-av plug circuits until i move to a different place.
                      Hi hotrod68r. Tesla coil and similar type transformer setups can have very strong electric and magnetic fields around them, as well as giving off electromagnetic radiation, and sparkgaps can also give off strong electromagnetic radiation over a very broad range of frequencies, so it probably wouldn't be a good idea to use such devices around someone with a pacemaker.

level

Comment

• Originally posted by hotrod68r View Post
                        hi guys and girls.first post ever.just want to know how serious are health implications for pacemaker equipped people in the vicinity of these projects.
                        i've seen some stern warnings on the net.maybe i have to stick to low power jt-sec-av plug circuits until i move to a different place.all the best to everyone here.
                        Welcome
                        like LVL said,
                        and hmm.. maybe just go straight to SIDAC/IGBT solid state gap?
                        ...also i wonder if high power commutators would be harmful, as there is a "spark" to some degree?
                        ive got a Serious Pancake coil and motor setup to unveil soon! and maybe that could be an alternative for anyone concerned

although, by the number of times ive fibrillated myself... the chance of accidentally shocking yourself is VERY high, its possible to be safe, but as mentioned the fields and waves and fast discharging HV involved, your pacemaker would almost Definitely be experiencing HV in its circuit just from proximity i would guess!

one time after a long night of experiments, i went to wash my hands... and got a HUGE blue spark when my hands touched the water !!! no pain, but you DO get charged up from proximity (whether thats good or bad idk, but i feel great )
                        hard to say if thats from neg ions, cause there must be both kinds of ions present (i'd guess)
                        best not to risk it.

hehe or you could build it, etc.. but only turn it on from a distance remotely ?
                        Last edited by mr.clean; 01-28-2013, 05:51 PM.
                        -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• Ok, I managed to remove the switching noise.
                          Now a single cycle is 8.84mS (113Hz) with a duty of 54%.

It draws a linear rising current for 4.78mS
                          That makes the total current draw 90mA from the battery.

Also in every cycle it feeds back a 2mS pulse to the battery.
                          That pulse is 160mA average so it charges back a constant 36mA.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Ok, I managed to remove the switching noise.
                            Now a single cycle is 8.84mS (113Hz) with a duty of 54%.

It draws a linear rising current for 4.78mS
                            That makes the total current draw 90mA from the battery.

Also in every cycle it feeds back a 2mS pulse to the battery.
                            That pulse is 160mA average so it charges back a constant 36mA.
                            thats really cool to see!
                            -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

Ok, I managed to remove the switching noise.
                              Nice.
                              level

Comment

• thanks for the feedback guys.best to avoid shorting any of my neighbors out.i'll have to stick to low power toroid coils(lower radiated fields) and solid state switching jt style.so i feel like i'm out of my depth on this thread but i would encourage everyone here to keep at it,stay safe and make the world a better place.#@%$ the status quo.

Comment

Working...
                                X