X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm feeding the coil 12VAC, 1.4A
    The transformer feeds back 8.4VAC, 2.8A

The voltage will be (12+8.4)/2= 10.2VAC
    Amps are zero since all 1.4A are used to oscillate but there are 2.8A back from the primary.

That makes 10.2VAC and 2.8A, 28watts for 17watts input.

This is the mathematical explanation.

Comment

• Hi janost,

Have you pondered on what is the copper loss in the HV coil of the ignition coil? How many Ohms does that coil have? some hundred?
      Would like to show a very high permeability core that may have over 3 Henry inductance with less than 1 Ohm DC resistance, see here:
      2SGen, an amazing tiny Solid State Generator by JL Naudin

Seems worth considering. and you you just use a coupling coil of some 10 turns to have the primary coil too.

Gyula

Comment

• Originally posted by gyula View Post
        Hi janost,

Have you pondered on what is the copper loss in the HV coil of the ignition coil? How many Ohms does that coil have? some hundred?
        Would like to show a very high permeability core that may have over 3 Henry inductance with less than 1 Ohm DC resistance, see here:
        2SGen, an amazing tiny Solid State Generator by JL Naudin

Seems worth considering. and you you just use a coupling coil of some 10 turns to have the primary coil too.

Gyula
        The resistance and reactance of the primary is 3ohm.
        For the secondary it is 14Kohm resistance and 21.5Kohm reactance at 50Hz.

A coil resistance of 14000ohms doesnt really matter if you have 2Kv peak to peak.
        Sure, it makes a current of max 50mA peak but multiplied by 85 back to the primary it makes 4amps in the 3ohm resistance of the primary.
        Last edited by janost; 01-10-2013, 09:39 PM.

Comment

• new vid, very cool

hi people, ive switched to an air core, put L1 outside for better transmission imho, L1 made of bare copper tubing enabling adjustable tapping, back to the small electrode spark gap, and finally tuning on one side of secondaries only.
          when the secondaries are connected + - + - you just measure the combined inductance.
          but with every factor being variable, i think that measuring exact C and L could be obsolete, because if you have too large a capacitance, you can just choke up or down on the coil and lower L to compensate, etc...

41 Don Smith Device: Completely Air Cored, Primary Outside, Increased Light - YouTube

Last edited by mr.clean; 01-11-2013, 06:01 PM.
          In the beginner's mind, there are many possibilities.
          In the expert's mind there are few.
          -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• Now this is very interesting.
            If you parallel 2 ignitioncoils in resonance at their primaries only, according to LTspice the current through the first coil remains the same but the current through the second coil drops to almost zero at resonance.
            The current in each of the secondaries is still the same 33mA.

I think these complex phaseshifts puts LTspice on the edge.

What will really happen I think is that it will only draw 710mA but the coils are able to generate 5.6Amps BEMF.

This is a very complex resonance where the coils exchange the charge between them.

This will put the COP in a different ballpark

Have to try this setup this weekend.
            Last edited by janost; 03-26-2013, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• Hi Janost,
              Will you place the load in parallel with the twin ignition coils like the attached schematics show?
              Is this the config you finally chose to adapt?
              Thanks for your contribution. The circuit seems to be simple yet it is ingenious.
              aaron5120
              Attached Files

Comment

• Yes.

In series mode the whole circuit behaviour changes if the load changes.
                In parallel it stays constant.

Comment

• Adding a third coil just keeps adding to the COP.

Now LTspice shows same current drawn by L1 and zero current in L3 and L5 and now there is 3x33mA in the secondarys.

That is 8.4Amps BEMF with 236mA input.
                  Last edited by janost; 03-26-2013, 11:11 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by janost View Post
                    Adding a third coil just keeps adding to the COP.

Now LTspice shows same current drawn by L1 and zero current in L3 and L5 and now there is 3x33mA in the secondarys.

That is 8.4Amps BEMF with 236mA input.
                    cool stuff, but are you using ignition coils? i have found that they have their limits, and the secondary i believe is electrically connected to the primary, but yeah i hope it works
                    what would it be called?

hey just in case anyone missed it, i think its pretty significant...
                    41 Don Smith Device: Completely Air Cored, Primary Outside, Increased Light - YouTube
                    -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• Originally posted by mr.clean View Post
                      cool stuff, but are you using ignition coils? i have found that they have their limits, and the secondary i believe is electrically connected to the primary, but yeah i hope it works
                      what would it be called?

hey just in case anyone missed it, i think its pretty significant...
                      Since I'm allowed to give it a name:

Cappacoil, dont mind the spelling.

Cappacoil.

Comment

• My question is: Is there really more power in higher frequencies?
                        Would I get higher efficency with say 2.7KHz or even 10KHz?

Not above 3KHz with an ignitioncoil.
                        I would have to wind one myself.

If I would drive a heating radiator with 10KHz AC instead of 50/60Hz, would it generate more heat?
                        Last edited by janost; 01-12-2013, 04:28 PM.

Comment

• I tried paralleling another coil but reality is not like in LTspice.
                          It wont go above COP 2.

Perhaps I did something wrong or the COP 2 comes from my Q-factor of 2

Comment

• Guys:
                            I've connected my yoke core inverter/oscillator in parallel at the input side with a ferrite bead core.
                            They are also both connected, one inverter's secondary to the second inverters secondary. The yoke core itself also has two secondaries, one on each half of the core.So, both separate inverters are joined together at the input as well by their outputs. I use a Cfl bulb between the two secondary (not shown) to not interfere directly between one oscillator and the others output side.
                            I've seen some interesting stuff happen, and an increase in light output from both bulbs. As now the two inverters are working together, in a different way with increase output, compared to working individually while using the same 12v input source. A increase in input current/voltage will make the bulbs much brighter yet, even twice as bright, as they may come into another resonant point.

Nick_Z
                            Last edited by Nick_Z; 04-23-2013, 12:17 AM.

Comment

• Hey Nick can you give us a schematic, will help explain what your doing
                              Thanks
                              dave
                              Half of the Answer is knowing the right Question

Comment

• hi everyone, just wanted to give you all a heads up, going to have the best vid of all my work so far...

its going to get different reactions from people who have been following my experiments,
                                but undeniably i have gotten the best results so far while experimenting tonite.

i have known how to charge caps with a good ground connection, but i could never use any descent real power... until today

without the ground wire... no power, with the ground wire... more light than ive ever had
                                ...for less input than before!!!!
                                lol did i mention its even quieter too? hehe

...did i mention there are no more coils? oops...

the next vid will be deliberately controversial, it will show the best performance yet, but i expect will get purely dislikes

dont worry i will eventually show it, but it will be fun to get people thinking
                                Last edited by mr.clean; 01-13-2013, 08:54 AM.
                                -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

Working...
                                X