Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr.Clean Congrats!

Kurt,
    Do yourself a favor and take a detailed video of the setup.
    (Including how the cables run over the battery/condensor etc.)
    Then if you have the spare parts rebuild it leaving the original intact.

Bert.

ps. It is possible that the battery or cap is catching radiant just as Bedini suggested.
    Last edited by bbem; 11-09-2012, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• Please make a video with all not connected parts being away to make a clear picture of what is where.

Comment

• Also most of BiToroid transformer details are in this forum's last 5 pages.
        If someone could collect everything into single document, it would be great.

There are 3 very important things involved:
        1) E.Leedskalnin's coil as primary (layer->go back with 1 turn->layer) acting as magnetic amplifier in coil edges.
        2) The alternate path for magnetic flux so Lenz force is weakened to primary and used to boost another secondary
        3) The phase shift between coils with capacitors

Waiting for Kurt's full document now
        Last edited by T-1000; 11-09-2012, 10:58 AM.

Comment

• Hi janost,

You could use several series-connected 10, 22, 47 Ohm power resistors as a gradually steppable load and still use a potmeter either in parallel with the series resistor chain or in series with it for the 'fine tuning', this way you can prevent the wiper burning out the path on the potmeter (unless you have a wire wound power potmeter).

Yes I agree when you change/adjust the load on the secondary with the potmeter, the primary coil's inductance also changes and you can surely find the real 50 Hz parallel resonant state. Maybe the resonant state will not be stable, transformer core quality counts here, normal laminated core is less stabil than for instance a Hypersil type core.

Gyula

Originally posted by janost View Post
          If you load the unconnected winding just enough to shift the inductance right on resonance?

The circuit below should work if I can find a potentiometer that can take the 260mA on the winding.

Comment

• Originally posted by janost View Post
            I did some tests yesterday that sort of worked.

With my schematic I had 233v in to the circuit, a 28v drop over the lightbulb and 223v over the transformer.

The drop should be 233-223=10v.
            I had 28v and a small glow in the lamp.
            Power drawn was 1watt.
            I'll try to show some calculations to this:

Input current:
            1W@233V=4.2mA

Current in bulb:
            28V/1458ohm=19.2mA

Current in transformer:
            223V/9500ohm(X@50Hz)=23.4mA

That gives a Q around 5 in the circuit.

The reson for the higher currents in the circuit to what is being consumed is because the current in the transformer is in antiphase to the current in the capacitor.

But the lightbulb doesnt care about polarity, it just happely disipates the differens

Comment

• Originally posted by gyula View Post
              Hi janost,

You could use several series-connected 10, 22, 47 Ohm power resistors as a gradually steppable load and still use a potmeter either in parallel with the series resistor chain or in series with it for the 'fine tuning', this way you can prevent the wiper burning out the path on the potmeter (unless you have a wire wound power potmeter).

Yes I agree when you change/adjust the load on the secondary with the potmeter, the primary coil's inductance also changes and you can surely find the real 50 Hz parallel resonant state. Maybe the resonant state will not be stable, transformer core quality counts here, normal laminated core is less stabil than for instance a Hypersil type core.

Gyula
              Well it's only 260mA when shorted through the DWM.

I'll try and waste one pot.
              If I'm lucky the resonance point will happen before the current gets to high.

Comment

Input current:
                1W@233V=4.2mA

Current in bulb:
                28V/1458ohm=19.2mA

Current in transformer:
                223V/9500ohm(X@50Hz)=23.4mA

That gives a Q around 5 in the circuit.

The reson for the higher currents in the circuit to what is being consumed is because the current in the transformer is in antiphase to the current in the capacitor.

But the lightbulb doesnt care about polarity, it just happely disipates the differens
                Unfortunately, complex impedances are involved here and you may wish to include the primary coil's copper (DC) resistance which comes in series with the bulb. I mention this because the transformer primary current depends on the correct combination of the full series R and primary coil's L, where L is not surely near the 30 Henry value either but a reduced value due to the load on the secondary. If you happen to have a 15 H primary coil inductance only, then the current is doubled for what you calculated above.
                Not trying nit-picking, just keeping to reality...

Gyula

Comment

Unfortunately, complex impedances are involved here and you may wish to include the primary coil's copper (DC) resistance which comes in series with the bulb. I mention this because the transformer primary current depends on the correct combination of the full series R and primary coil's L, where L is not surely near the 30 Henry value either but a reduced value due to the load on the secondary. If you happen to have a 15 H primary coil inductance only, then the current is doubled for what you calculated above.
                  Not trying nit-picking, just keeping to reality...

Gyula
                  I know it's around 30H unloaded because it resonated close to 50Hz with a 330nF cap in the project I stole it from.

I know that there are many parameters in this that affects the inductance as I allready noticed that the resonant frequency shifted with resistance in the circuit.

Spot on resonance will be difficult with a lightbulb in the resonant circuit as it changes resistance with current.

But I too curious not to try and see what happens when I dial it in.

Comment

• I know one thing for sure,

A 15w 230v bulb will be as black as the night with a 50Kohm resistor in series on 230v (that is 4.2mA current).

In my case it glowed dark red.
                    And the current to the circuit was 4.2mA.

Comment

• OUTSTANDING

sorry my bad
                      He said ignition coil driver
                      I thought he said induction heater circuit
                      Last edited by Dave45; 11-09-2012, 07:46 PM.
                      Half of the Answer is knowing the right Question

Comment

I know one thing for sure,

A 15w 230v bulb will be as black as the night with a 50Kohm resistor in series on 230v (that is 4.2mA current).

In my case it glowed dark red.
                        And the current to the circuit was 4.2mA.
                        You could improve big way the loaded Q of the primary coil by replacing the 15W bulb with the secondary coil of another normal mains transformer, using it like a current transformer CT and attach the bulb to the primary coil of this second transformer. So to say you could have a much better matching of the bulb to the resonant primary circuit.
                        And you could use then the 330 nF only to get resonance with the first transformer, no need for the rather lossy 'tuning' by the potmeter method. or perhaps use a 10 or 22 nF capacitor in parallel with the 330 nF to be able to use the minimal secondary load possible for obtaining resonance.

Gyula

Comment

• Originally posted by T-1000 View Post
                          Also most of BiToroid transformer details are in this forum's last 5 pages.
                          If someone could collect everything into single document, it would be great.

There are 3 very important things involved:
                          1) E.Leedskalnin's coil as primary (layer->go back with 1 turn->layer) acting as magnetic amplifier in coil edges.
                          2) The alternate path for magnetic flux so Lenz force is weakened to primary and used to boost another secondary
                          3) The phase shift between coils with capacitors

Waiting for Kurt's full document now
                          yeah dont worry people, im not touching anything until i have recorded these strange connections

later today
                          In the beginner's mind, there are many possibilities.
                          In the expert's mind there are few.
                          -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

You could improve big way the loaded Q of the primary coil by replacing the 15W bulb with the secondary coil of another normal mains transformer, using it like a current transformer CT and attach the bulb to the primary coil of this second transformer. So to say you could have a much better matching of the bulb to the resonant primary circuit.
                            And you could use then the 330 nF only to get resonance with the first transformer, no need for the rather lossy 'tuning' by the potmeter method. or perhaps use a 10 or 22 nF capacitor in parallel with the 330 nF to be able to use the minimal secondary load possible for obtaining resonance.

Gyula
                            I am still waiting for more transformers and hopefully I will receive them today.

If I replace the bulb in the circuit with a second transformer, wont the inductance of that influence the resonant circuit and even more so if I load the primary on it? Perhaps not much?

And even worse, if I short the secondary of the first transformer, there will be >1Kv on the primary and over the bulb?
                            Last edited by janost; 11-09-2012, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• Perhaps the secondary could be current-controlled by a pair of transistors?

Then it would be possible to control the resonance in a feedbackloop?

Comment

• Originally posted by mr.clean View Post
                                yeah dont worry people, im not touching anything until i have recorded these strange connections

later today
                                Hi,

Just make exact replication for yourself and freeze from changing anything in original circuit.
                                Also people are waiting for your document so that can be tested and verified by independent replications then it can be passed for physicists to accept the truth..

Comment

Working...
                                X