• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gedfire View Post
    Interesting Stuff,

I am curious though.

Have you tried this?

What if i put 50 khz same voltage instead of 60 hz?

Ged
    You can tune it to any frequency by changing the cap.
    But an ignitioncoil wont be good at anything over 3KHz.

Yes I have tried it and because the current through the coil at resonance is very low the output also have low current.

It doesnt really do anything but light a CFL.

I'm working on a parallell resonance at the moment but awaiting some transformers so I can't show the circuit yet.

Comment

• This is what I'm working on
      Last edited by janost; 05-03-2013, 11:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mainsen View Post
        I also found stokers posts very interesting. He points out that the weight of the L1 coil has to be 4 times the weight of L2 coils. So the cross sectional area of L1 should be 16 times that of L2, not 4 times, when it is 1/4 the length of one of the L2 coils. Of course assuming they are both the very exact same material. Anyone tried this?
        Another thing he says the wire length from HV supply to L1 coil has to be 1/4 of the frequency. Here i have problems to follow him. He means 1/4 of the wavelength of the resonant frequency? And how to exactly measure this with the diodes, spark gap and caps in this line?
        Im playing since 2 months with my smith replication and so far im not having overunity i think. With around 10-12 watt input to my Flyback transformer i can make a 25 watt buld flash very very bright, but only every 1-2 seconds for perhaps 1/10 second. I have connected the bulb via a 470 volt surge arrester in parallel to my charge cap bank.
        Will keep on trying and report when i get kilowatts

kind regards,
        main
        hi buddy, regarding the coil tuning by length and weight, it is exactly comparable to sound waves and music.

not everyone plays music, and idk if you've ever tuned a guitar, but you basically choke up on a lower sounding, heavier, overall larger, and remarkably shorter than the next open string which will be tuned.

...that is to acheive a higher tone to match the tone of the next higher sounding string, and that next higher string is longer, but skinnier, and higher pitched than the previous string.

that relationship of shorter and fatter, matching the longer and skinnier string (wire/ inductor) applies here in the Tesla 1/4 wave tuning.

the strings (inductors) can vary in weight and length, but the 1/4 wave is particularly unique, that it is effective at resounding nicely with all harmonics of the fundamental frequency infinitely.
        only difference here is the khz frequencies are inaudible
        long story short, its a good thing, BUT realize the skin effect in conductors at such frequencies used here,

the inner material of the conductor is not used, so the total weight may not be correct, Eric Dollard has said it really amounts effectively to "surface area" of the wires.

and as you may know if u know about music, is the tones only repeat as you go higher or lower thru the frequencies. 25khz is the same tone as 50khz, and so on.

so it would be fairly easy to check the resonant frequency of each coil, and check to see if they are divisible into eachother.
        If the coils are 1/4 length to eachother, but still not in tune, that means that the surface area needs adjusting...meaning the gauge of the wire is either too thin or too fat.

going by Tesla's popular design, the secondary is debatably much longer than the primary, so... the primary makes up for it by being that much more wide, thereby equaling the surface area.

that being said, starting off by using the same weight for each coil is a good start, but due to the skin effect keep in mind the inner part of wire is ignored, sheet copper being the best way to avoid this variable

in may of Tesla's notes, he had best results using a 2 turn primary to get the lowest inductance possible... hmmm makes you think eh
        Last edited by mr.clean; 10-27-2012, 05:52 PM.
        In the beginner's mind, there are many possibilities.
        In the expert's mind there are few.
        -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• Originally posted by Utopia Now View Post
          Hello T1000 and Others

Thank you T1000 that feels good .

Here my still playing around with whale wave forms.
          I did it with a gas discharge tube and I had to play with the voltage input power till these forms repeated fast ..about 80000 times a second.

Here some Links for other people to keep up the good faith in Tesla Don Kapanadze technologies

Kapanadze 100 KW 2007 TMZ Turkey 3 / 4

free energy 48 KW KAPANADZE 3 phase Tesla device demo TMZ 2008.02.27

I am still having the hope it will work in the near future

I am a grateful person
          Utopia Now
          thanks for re-posting these, bottom line is, Kapanadze is for real, as was the 100kw self-runner public demo, and ...

he said himself that basically there is a Tesla coil inside...
          -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• Question on coil self capacitance!

Hello Mr Clean & ALL,

In all of my past perusals through PJK's files and a few past forum posts I have seen the term "self capacitance" mentioned and at times referrences made to the effect that self capacitance has to be dealt with in achieveing reasonance in a particular coil or combination of coils in a circuit system. exactly how to deal with this "self capacitance" has never been stated or dealt with as an entity that I am aware of. I am NOT saying that it has not been dealt with I am just saying that I am not aware that it has. I would graciously appreciate any knowledge or information pertaining to this subject, that is the purpose for this post.

Let me give you my particular case background info so that anyone will have some base facts to deal with.

In my present build my L1 primary has a measured inductace by an Agilent LCR meter of 7.9 uH. It also has a self capacitance measured by the same meter of32.5 uF.
            My driver reasonant frequency is 42.5 KHZ. In order for my L1 coil to reasonate at 42.5 KHZ it would require a parallel capacitance of 1.77 uF.
            The delima is that the self capacitane is ALREADY far greater than the capacitance needed for reasonance with the driver! ??????

Is the self capicitance actually a series cap or a parallel cap for any coil???
            The only way I know to reduce the self capacitance would be to place a like value of smaller cap before and after the coil in series. the resultant cap would come out to be a slightly lesser value than the smaller series cap value according to series cap math as I understand it. As I said I am open to knowledge and information source on the subject and my particular case in fact.

Thanks to all of you in advance for your considerations and patience. mike, onward!

Comment

• Wanderer

This is also inspiring.

Comment

• the mistake we always do-beware

The Correct Tesla Bifilar Coil
                by
                James L Kistner Jr

The Bifilar Wound Coil Confusion - HODINFO

The bifilar, or two wire, wound coil has found many uses and has become very popular lately in applications ranging from the separation of end products from biodiesel to the all popular 'Tesla Coil' (which should not really be described as such but that is not the purpose of this paper). Most of the time the experimenter winding these bifilar coils is under the impression that he/she is winding what is known as a 'Tesla Bifilar Coil' while that is not really the case. Much of the information and instructions for the winding of these coils is not what is described in Tesla's Patent #512340, "Coil for Electro-Magnets". The illustrations below will illustrate the difference between the winding that is being distributed on the internet and the winding that is specified in the Patent (you'll just have to excuse my drawings, I am not an artist).
                First, let's look at the two coils as they are assembled and then drawn out into their two wire lengths:

As you can see, the one one the left (distributed on the 'net) is very different from the one on the right, which is the one specified in Tesla's Patent. Does it really make a difference, though? Does it matter which way the bifilar is wound? Tesla thought so and made some pretty nice claims for the coil he patented. If we examine the flow of current in the wire of the coil, it will give a better picture as to why he made these claims. Below is the current flow for the popular 'internet' bifilar coil:

We see opposing current flow in adjacent wires. Compare this to the current flow in Tesla's coil:

Here we have no opposing flow. All current flow is augmented by the adjacent wires, resulting in an increased magnetic field, just as he said. This has recently been demonstrated by an expeimenter who graciously shared his test of the Tesla Coil against a serially wound coil. If it is still available for viewing it can be seen at the link to the video below. Once you see this video, you will probably never wind a bifilar the 'internet' way again.

1/27/2010
                aka Hermit53

Comparison of Tesla Bifilar and Pancake Coils - YouTube

Read more: The Bifilar Wound Coil Confusion - HODINFO The Bifilar Wound Coil Confusion - HODINFO

its not always necessary to wind bifilar tesla coil as flat pancake coil it can be wound on a tube aswell. It stores more energy when wound as tesla secondary coil. the primary coil is thick standard coil. the idea is that a small triggered energy fed in primary coil gets the bifilar tube secondary tesla coil keeps ringing endlessly for a longer period of time. thus producing extra energy that can be fed back to input.

courtesy internet

XILO
                Attached Files
                Last edited by xilo; 10-28-2012, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by clarence View Post
                  Hello Mr Clean & ALL,

In all of my past perusals through PJK's files and a few past forum posts I have seen the term "self capacitance" mentioned and at times referrences made to the effect that self capacitance has to be dealt with in achieveing reasonance in a particular coil or combination of coils in a circuit system. exactly how to deal with this "self capacitance" has never been stated or dealt with as an entity that I am aware of. I am NOT saying that it has not been dealt with I am just saying that I am not aware that it has. I would graciously appreciate any knowledge or information pertaining to this subject, that is the purpose for this post.

Let me give you my particular case background info so that anyone will have some base facts to deal with.

In my present build my L1 primary has a measured inductace by an Agilent LCR meter of 7.9 uH. It also has a self capacitance measured by the same meter of32.5 uF.
                  My driver reasonant frequency is 42.5 KHZ. In order for my L1 coil to reasonate at 42.5 KHZ it would require a parallel capacitance of 1.77 uF.
                  The delima is that the self capacitane is ALREADY far greater than the capacitance needed for reasonance with the driver! ??????

The only way I know to reduce the self capacitance would be to place a like value of smaller cap before and after the coil in series. the resultant cap would come out to be a slightly lesser value than the smaller series cap value according to series cap math as I understand it. As I said I am open to knowledge and information source on the subject and my particular case in fact.

Thanks to all of you in advance for your considerations and patience. mike, onward!
                  Hi man, the best advice i can give is to set up ur system on the function generator and find resonance with the small LED as in my vid 27 (i believe it was)

I also have measured odd readings on my meter, but if you can find resonant points in the range you predicted, you can use that found frequency and known inductance to figure out what capacitance you truly have.

And normally you can trust on-line calculators if you entered the exact diameter and spacing and coil length, it will tell u your self-capacitance. But when you add ferrite, the calculators get messed as ferrite can raise hundreds of uH (built in external power in a way)
                  And btw, most heavy gauge air coils, unless tiny magnet wire, are just a few pF of capacitance, hardly even an issue. And if you have an adjustable air cap in the range u need, it will be very easy to deal with
                  -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• Originally posted by xilo View Post
                    The Correct Tesla Bifilar Coil
                    by
                    James L Kistner Jr

The Bifilar Wound Coil Confusion - HODINFO

The bifilar, or two wire, wound coil has found many uses and has become very popular lately in applications ranging from the separation of end products from biodiesel to the all popular 'Tesla Coil' (which should not really be described as such but that is not the purpose of this paper). Most of the time the experimenter winding these bifilar coils is under the impression that he/she is winding what is known as a 'Tesla Bifilar Coil' while that is not really the case. Much of the information and instructions for the winding of these coils is not what is described in Tesla's Patent #512340, "Coil for Electro-Magnets". The illustrations below will illustrate the difference between the winding that is being distributed on the internet and the winding that is specified in the Patent (you'll just have to excuse my drawings, I am not an artist).
                    First, let's look at the two coils as they are assembled and then drawn out into their two wire lengths:

As you can see, the one one the left (distributed on the 'net) is very different from the one on the right, which is the one specified in Tesla's Patent. Does it really make a difference, though? Does it matter which way the bifilar is wound? Tesla thought so and made some pretty nice claims for the coil he patented. If we examine the flow of current in the wire of the coil, it will give a better picture as to why he made these claims. Below is the current flow for the popular 'internet' bifilar coil:

We see opposing current flow in adjacent wires. Compare this to the current flow in Tesla's coil:

Here we have no opposing flow. All current flow is augmented by the adjacent wires, resulting in an increased magnetic field, just as he said. This has recently been demonstrated by an expeimenter who graciously shared his test of the Tesla Coil against a serially wound coil. If it is still available for viewing it can be seen at the link to the video below. Once you see this video, you will probably never wind a bifilar the 'internet' way again.

1/27/2010
                    aka Hermit53

Comparison of Tesla Bifilar and Pancake Coils - YouTube

Read more: The Bifilar Wound Coil Confusion - HODINFO The Bifilar Wound Coil Confusion - HODINFO

its not always necessary to wind bifilar tesla coil as flat pancake coil it can be wound on a tube aswell. It stores more energy when wound as tesla secondary coil. the primary coil is thick standard coil. the idea is that a small triggered energy fed in primary coil gets the bifilar tube secondary tesla coil keeps ringing endlessly for a longer period of time. thus producing extra energy that can be fed back to input.

courtesy internet

XILO
                    oh man im pumped for some pancake experiments, especially seeing them on kapanadze's output coils in the 48kw demo, idk if bifiliar, but i think im gonna try out some things on the side
                    -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

Hi Mike,

Your self capacitance measurement gave you a false value of 32.5 uF for the 7.9 uH coil, it is impossible even for a multilayered coil of similar L value.
                      Here is a link to estimate your single layer coil's self capacitance:
                      Helical Coil Calculator

There is also the two capacitor measurement method, see here:
                      Inductor Capacitance and Inductance Estimation

Finally the most thorough treatment is probably here:
                      Self-resonance and self-capacitance of solenoids. David W Knight.
                      and there are some practical measurement data on coils done by Medhurst, I refer just to see some self capacitance values here:
                      Solenoid inductance & impedance calculation

It is considered as a capacitance in parallel with the coil. Practical values include from a few pF (1-2 pF) to over 10 pF or higher of course depending on the coil length, winding pitch, coil former or bobbin etc.

EDIT You use Agilent LCR meter, is there no any hint in its user manual for measuring coils self capacitance I wonder.

Hope this helps.
                      Gyula
                      Last edited by gyula; 10-28-2012, 11:41 PM. Reason: Addition

Comment

• RIGHT ON !! wow what a difference!

[QUOTE=gyula;212869]Hi Mike,

Your self capacitance measurement gave you a false value of 32.5 uF for the 7.9 uH coil, it is impossible even for a multilayered coil of similar L value.

There is also the two capacitor measurement method, see here:
                        Inductor Capacitance and Inductance Estimation

Hello Gyula,

clarence here,

I went through the recommended sources you provided and indeed they are all on track with with each other!!! WOW they make a supposed to be good LCR meter look like a piece of crap! that is definitely a lesson learned!

I will use all of these sources you gave from now on - they are all easy to use if attention is paid to the information you feed to them.

MANY thanks to you for your considerations and efforts Sir!!!!!

mike, onward!

Comment

• Good Advice & Info!!!!

[QUOTE=mr.clean;212837]

Hello Mr Clean,

clarence here,

your advice and information was SPOT ON! sir I also reviewed your video and it offered good info!

I do appreciate your advise and info and will definitely use it! I would also like to thank you for your consideration and your time and efforts Sir, such as You and Gyula who also offered and gave help is what makes this forum valuable and helpful!!! MANY thanks again Sir!!!

mike, onward!

Comment

WOW they make a supposed to be good LCR meter look like a piece of crap! that is definitely a lesson learned!
                            Hi Mike,

I believe your Agilent LCR meter is probably ok but perhaps you have supposed it is enough to switch the range switch from the L range to the C range on the meter and I have found this has been done by others too on some other forums . And the problem is that the C meter part of the inner circuit in your Agilent meter expects a real capacitor (which has a DC resistance in the several MegaOhm or higher range) and a coil has nearly a short-circuit-like DC resistance with respect to that "expectation" hence the meter shows false values for the "self capacitance". I think you could try to connect a known value capacitor in series with the coil and connect this series LC combination to the C meter and read the resultant (smaller) capacitance value on the meter, then you could calculate the coil's self capacitance from the resultant smaller cap value and the known series cap.

Here is an addition to the 2 capacitor method I forgot to mention that preferably one of the two frequencies should be selected to be twice as high as the other frequency, see this here: FORMULAS & CALCULATORS

Greetings,
                            Gyula

Comment

• REACTIVE CURRENT TRANSFORMER - Rudolf Klavdievich Katargin et al

Patent US20120086413 - REACTIVE CURRENT TRANSFORMER - Google Patents

similar to ....
                              Kapanadze 100 KW 2007 TMZ Turkey 3 / 4 .......... ?
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Information received and will be used!

Originally posted by gyula View Post
                                Hi Mike,

I believe your Agilent LCR meter is probably ok but perhaps you have supposed it is enough to switch the range switch from the L range to the C range on the meter and I have found this has been done by others too on some other forums . And the problem is that the C meter part of the inner circuit in your Agilent meter expects a real capacitor (which has a DC resistance in the several MegaOhm or higher range) and a coil has nearly a short-circuit-like DC resistance with respect to that "expectation" hence the meter shows false values for the "self capacitance". I think you could try to connect a known value capacitor in series with the coil and connect this series LC combination to the C meter and read the resultant (smaller) capacitance value on the meter, then you could calculate the coil's self capacitance from the resultant smaller cap value and the known series cap.

Here is an addition to the 2 capacitor method I forgot to mention that preferably one of the two frequencies should be selected to be twice as high as the other frequency, see this here: FORMULAS & CALCULATORS

Greetings,
                                Gyula
                                Hello Gyula,

clarence here- many thanks again for your added information! it is appreciated and will be used!

mike,onward!

Comment

Working...
                                X