No announcement yet.

Donald Smith Devices too good to be true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you very much Soundiceuk for the Don Smith collection!!!

Hope that stuff will help me with my Don Smith setup im playing with at the moment. Yesterday i changed my cap banks on primary and secondary to tune to another frequency (0,4Mhz) but since then i have the problem that in the bank on primary side (6x 0,33uF in series) always the first cap of the bank dies within some seconds, the one facing to spark gap and hv diode from supply trafo.
    Anyone perhaps has an idea how to avoid this?

Kind regards,
    mainsen

Comment

• Induction Cooker is a answer - YouTube

Comment

• Hi all:

Would just like to mention the reason as to why this thread is making so little headway.
        If "RESONANCE" is supposed to be the KEY to free radiant energy then why are we not discussing it?
        After going through 1000's of postings, I haven't found ONE discussion about it.
        In all my years of working in the electronics trade and building all my own ham gear I have never as yet
        come across such an awful inefficient resonant circuit as the one everyone here is using .
        Oh, I'm sure Don is well aware of all of this and his only reason for using it is to avoid flak from his investors.
        Don has hinted several times about winding natural frequency coils and giving an example of 24.7 mhz
        for winding a 10 turn coil. He also says " Induction Energy transfer is enhanced by squaring of the cycles
        per second by the system". This means that every time the operating frequency is doubled,the energy
        transfer goes up 4 times!
        Of course there are limits (dictated by the speed of the diodes we use) as to how high we go with F.
        Everyone should read about the experiences of Henry Moray who put on dozens of demo's to 100's of
        top-notch witnesses. His device was putting out thousands of watts which lit up not only incandescent bulbs
        but a 500 watt flat iron as well. His was a cold energy system where the resistance of his small guage wire
        had little or no effect on performance. He was using a direct connection without any diodes, so he could'nt
        run 6ocps devices. Hey! but who cares. I would love to run my high energy appliances for free like my
        electric range,hot water heater,toaster,kettle,etc.
        So let's just concentrate on extracting this free energy FIRST, before worrying about how to change it to 60cps.
        Yes, to create a maximum attraction for these little critters, we have to use short wave frequencies and properly
        designed resonant circuits. My take on this DS device is: The spark gap is what invites these high-energetic critters
        to the party. (Is that why Kapanadze places his s.g.on the outside of the green box?) and the
        asymetrical L2 coils are what welcomes them in the door to do their work. More to come.

rgds

Elcheapo

Comment

• Originally posted by Guruji View Post
          What about your Cap bank you're not using it anymore?
          Thanks
          i still have plans for them, but they can mask what is realy happening.

On Don's double helix device, the fact he had diodes between the caps and coils, meant that they were not used in tuning, and typically you would parallel a cap to your output to smooth the drop off of power due to using half wave rectification.
          (although with diodes on both L2 ends it is like a double half wave, full wave in a wierd way)

but you need to see the power from the coils before you put on any smoothing caps, and their capacity should match what they can fill up in 1 second, or less

otherwise your load will be demanding more than your coils are supplying, so best to see what your output is without caps, then establish what voltage and capacitance they should be to best suit the output.

and the big 2kv 40uf caps would need a slightly more complex method to use the power, you will explode you bulbs with one discharge unless your load is 2kv. it would need a way of pulsing to a stepdown trafo at 60hz to make best use of the high freq charging, and low freq pulsing. im just seeing faster results stepping straight down,
          ...rather than stepping up voltage...just to step down again, seems redundant

unfortunately no simple solution
          In the beginner's mind, there are many possibilities.
          In the expert's mind there are few.
          -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• Yes!

Originally posted by Elcheapo View Post
            Hi all:

Would just like to mention the reason as to why this thread is making so little headway.
            If "RESONANCE" is supposed to be the KEY to free radiant energy then why are we not discussing it!

Elcheapo
            Hello Elcheapo,

clarence here,

mike,onward!

Comment

• Originally posted by Elcheapo View Post
              Hi all:

If "RESONANCE" is supposed to be the KEY to free radiant energy then why are we not discussing it?
              After going through 1000's of postings, I haven't found ONE discussion about it.
              In all my years of working in the electronics trade and building all my own ham gear I have never as yet
              come across such an awful inefficient resonant circuit as the one everyone here is using .
              Oh, I'm sure Don is well aware of all of this and his only reason for using it is to avoid flak from his investors.
              Don has hinted several times about winding natural frequency coils and giving an example of 24.7 mhz
              for winding a 10 turn coil. He also says " Induction Energy transfer is enhanced by squaring of the cycles
              per second by the system". This means that every time the operating frequency is doubled,the energy
              transfer goes up 4 times!
              Of course there are limits (dictated by the speed of the diodes we use) as to how high we go with F.
              Everyone should read about the experiences of Henry Moray who put on dozens of demo's to 100's of
              top-notch witnesses. His device was putting out thousands of watts which lit up not only incandescent bulbs
              but a 500 watt flat iron as well. His was a cold energy system where the resistance of his small guage wire
              had little or no effect on performance. He was using a direct connection without any diodes, so he could'nt
              run 6ocps devices. Hey! but who cares. I would love to run my high energy appliances for free like my
              electric range,hot water heater,toaster,kettle,etc.
              So let's just concentrate on extracting this free energy FIRST, before worrying about how to change it to 60cps.
              Yes, to create a maximum attraction for these little critters, we have to use short wave frequencies and properly
              designed resonant circuits. My take on this DS device is: The spark gap is what invites these high-energetic critters
              to the party. (Is that why Kapanadze places his s.g.on the outside of the green box?) and the
              asymetrical L2 coils are what welcomes them in the door to do their work. More to come.

rgds

Elcheapo
              I think you are selectively not seeing things...

38 Don Smith Device Project: Magnetic Quenching of Spark- Gap and Some Fine Tuning - YouTube (resonance )

Don Smith Device Project Part 35: Resonant 60hz Transformer Experiment - YouTube (resonance )

Don Smith Device Project Part 34A: StepUp / StepDown All In One and Resonance Acheived - YouTube
              (tuning)
              Don Smith Device Project Part 31: 3 Watts In, 20 Watt Halogen Lit Bright - YouTube
              (resonance)
              Don Smith Device Project Part 32: Stepdown Coil Tune and Resonance at 53Khz - YouTube
              (hehe ...obvious enough?)... resonance

your words again:...
              "After going through 1000's of postings, I haven't found ONE discussion about it."
              ** ... 1000's of postings eh?...
              -i therefore must call bullsht

"In all my years of working in the electronics trade and building all my own ham gear I have never as yet come across such an awful inefficient resonant circuit as the one everyone here is using ."

** ... Ouch,that kinda hurt,
              -btw...how many years is that? and where are your videos exhibiting performance possibly above 100%

just try being a little more observant and considerate if trying to be helpful,
              but obviously your agenda was just to give a disinformative lesson and general discouragement
              -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• Hi all
                People seem to think that as long as a circuit is resonant then that's all that matters. Not so.
                We have to consider the quality or "Q" of the circuit.
                This is highly important for the proper working of the DS device.
                Resonance is used to acquire the build-up potential of an ac signal in the most efficient manner possible at ONE frequency.

This post is my attempt to compare efficiencies of circuits using 35khz and 20000khz (20mhz) frequencies.
                In the following computations I will be using:
                R for resistance:L for inductance:C for capacitance: X for reactance: XL for inductive reactance
                XC for capacitive reactance: Z for impedance: E for voltage: I for current
                Q is defined as X/R: So the less R in our coils, the higher the Q: The higher the Q, the bigger the boost for E

Let's start with a series resonant circuit.
                A quote from the Radio Amateur's Handbook says:"When a voltage of the resonant frequency is inserted in series in a resonant
                circuit, the voltage that appears across either the inductor or capacitor is considerably higher than the applied voltage"
                Also:" The ratio of the reactive voltage to the applied voltage is equal to the ratio of reactance to resistance.This ratio is also
                the Q of the circuit.Therefore, the voltage across either the inductor or capacitor is equal to QE where E is the voltage inserted
                in series"
                For a parallel resonant circuit, we are looking at the impedance which is: Z=QX
                So the higher is Z, the greater the build-up of E
                Now let's apply this theory to our L1 coil , first using 35khz and then using 20mhz.
                For a coil 2 in. in diameter and 2 in. long my ARRL calculator says inductance is about 13 uh: close enough.

We'll assume the R of L1 to be 1 ohm at 35khz and R of L1 to be 2 ohms at 20mhz.
                This makes a fairer comparison because of "skin effect" R will always be higher at a higher F.
                We'll also assume the applied voltage E is 1000volts

Therefore XL of a 13uh coil at 35000cps is 6.28*35000* .000013= 2.9 ohms: Q=2.9/1=2.9
                XL of a 13uh coil at 20,000,000cps = 6.28*20,000,000*.000013 = 1632: Q=1632/2=816
                Series Resonance:
                Using 35 khz for F: voltage across L or C is 2.9* 1000=2900 volts
                Using 20000khz for F: voltage across L or C is 816*1000=816000 volts.

Parallel Resonance:
                Using 35khz: impedance acrosscircuit is: Z=2.9*2.9=8.4 ohms
                Using 20mhz:impedance across circuit is: Z= 816*1632=1331712 ohms

I welcome anybody to correct any mistakes I may have incurred as I only have a grade 10 education.

rgds
                Elcheapo

Comment

Hi all
                  People seem to think that as long as a circuit is resonant then that's all that matters. Not so.
                  We have to consider the quality or "Q" of the circuit.
                  This is highly important for the proper working of the DS device.
                  Resonance is used to acquire the build-up potential of an ac signal in the most efficient manner possible at ONE frequency.

This post is my attempt to compare efficiencies of circuits using 35khz and 20000khz (20mhz) frequencies.
                  In the following computations I will be using:
                  R for resistance:L for inductance:C for capacitance: X for reactance: XL for inductive reactance
                  XC for capacitive reactance: Z for impedance: E for voltage: I for current
                  Q is defined as X/R: So the less R in our coils, the higher the Q: The higher the Q, the bigger the boost for E

Let's start with a series resonant circuit.
                  A quote from the Radio Amateur's Handbook says:"When a voltage of the resonant frequency is inserted in series in a resonant
                  circuit, the voltage that appears across either the inductor or capacitor is considerably higher than the applied voltage"
                  Also:" The ratio of the reactive voltage to the applied voltage is equal to the ratio of reactance to resistance.This ratio is also
                  the Q of the circuit.Therefore, the voltage across either the inductor or capacitor is equal to QE where E is the voltage inserted
                  in series"
                  For a parallel resonant circuit, we are looking at the impedance which is: Z=QX
                  So the higher is Z, the greater the build-up of E
                  Now let's apply this theory to our L1 coil , first using 35khz and then using 20mhz.
                  For a coil 2 in. in diameter and 2 in. long my ARRL calculator says inductance is about 13 uh: close enough.

We'll assume the R of L1 to be 1 ohm at 35khz and R of L1 to be 2 ohms at 20mhz.
                  This makes a fairer comparison because of "skin effect" R will always be higher at a higher F.
                  We'll also assume the applied voltage E is 1000volts

Therefore XL of a 13uh coil at 35000cps is 6.28*35000* .000013= 2.9 ohms: Q=2.9/1=2.9
                  XL of a 13uh coil at 20,000,000cps = 6.28*20,000,000*.000013 = 1632: Q=1632/2=816
                  Series Resonance:
                  Using 35 khz for F: voltage across L or C is 2.9* 1000=2900 volts
                  Using 20000khz for F: voltage across L or C is 816*1000=816000 volts.

Parallel Resonance:
                  Using 35khz: impedance acrosscircuit is: Z=2.9*2.9=8.4 ohms
                  Using 20mhz:impedance across circuit is: Z= 816*1632=1331712 ohms

I welcome anybody to correct any mistakes I may have incurred as I only have a grade 10 education.

rgds
                  Elcheapo
                  alright... make a video.
                  and you opened by basically saying resonance may not be enough... "that" is the reason for these experiments

and all my work ive done with very little time and money, so no excuses...
                  Last edited by mr.clean; 10-22-2012, 01:21 AM.
                  -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• Originally posted by mr.clean View Post
                    alright... make a video.

and all my work ive done with very little time and money, so no excuses...
                    Hi Mr. Clean:
                    Sorry if I offended you. I know that you have a lot of good postings on this thread and you've been putting in much effort. I always read your posts hoping to learn something new.
                    I am only here to try and put more light on the subject.
                    No I don't do videos and haven't even reached the point where I have anything to show - maybe some day. I'm really only trying to help people with the theory.

Comment

Hi Mr. Clean:
                      Sorry if I offended you. I know that you have a lot of good postings on this thread and you've been putting in much effort. I always read your posts hoping to learn something new.
                      I am only here to try and put more light on the subject.
                      No I don't do videos and haven't even reached the point where I have anything to show - maybe some day. I'm really only trying to help people with the theory.
                      i did take it kinda personally, but if you are genuine in trying to help others, then you cannot be wrong
                      -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• mr.Clean;

Ya you're right. When people put so much time,money & effort into a project they don't want to be told that they are wrong. I should have been much more considerate.

Comment

mr.Clean;

Ya you're right. When people put so much time,money & effort into a project they don't want to be told that they are wrong. I should have been much more considerate.
                          emotion aside, the experiments do show promise.

perhaps you can answer this, if you can measure 12v across a running 12v light bulb, then is the bulb running at full power?

38 Don Smith Device Project: Magnetic Quenching of Spark- Gap and Some Fine Tuning - YouTube
                          Last edited by mr.clean; 10-22-2012, 02:28 AM.
                          -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• Originally posted by mr.clean View Post
                            emotion aside, the experiments do show promise.

perhaps you can answer this, if you can measure 12v across a running 12v light bulb, then is the bulb running at full power?

38 Don Smith Device Project: Magnetic Quenching of Spark- Gap and Some Fine Tuning - YouTube
                            You didn't say if you were using ac or dc. But the filament in a bulb has a certain amount of inductance. Not much mind you but if the frequency is too high then the ac current would diminish as well as brightness.Voltage would stay the same. At 35khz there shouldn't be any reduction in brightness.
                            The accurate way to tell is to measure the bulb current.

Comment

You didn't say if you were using ac or dc. But the filament in a bulb has a certain amount of inductance. Not much mind you but if the frequency is too high then the ac current would diminish as well as brightness.Voltage would stay the same. At 35khz there shouldn't be any reduction in brightness.
                              The accurate way to tell is to measure the bulb current.
                              ok, if you arent certain then i'd rather not guess.
                              It was kind of a trick question,

in my experience regardless of if it were 1 million volts, and high Mhz, if the current was deficient, the bulb would not light, and the voltage would read below the bulbs nominal voltage.

any power you have will show itself when you put the bulb on it.

im using AC from the wall outlet, regulated by a variac, and monitoring its output to NST with analog AC ampmeter to avoid digital devices near the spark-gap.

but i am rectifying the output of the L2 coils before running it to the load.

The digital meters can often be in doubt, but either the bulb lights, or it doesnt. thats the bottom line. Then the question is... was the result larger than the input?
                              I also did a full wattage DC comparison on video to compare
                              Last edited by mr.clean; 10-22-2012, 04:16 AM.
                              -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• Theory of coils and inductors

In Don's setup the main set of inductors has three coils in a two over on configuration with (supposedly) a 1:4 ratio of resonant frequencies. Whether this is measured independently or in mutual configuration, I am not clear. @elcheapo, if you have a set of formulas that help me model this configuration, I would like to put them in a spreadsheet to experiment with them in theory. Can you help?

Thanks.
                                There is a reason why science has been successful and technology is widespread. Don't be afraid to do the math and apply the laws of physics.

Comment

Working...
                                X