No announcement yet.

Donald Smith Devices too good to be true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But actually other than the primary tank, the rest does do what its suppose to as far as i can see, this config tho would still need stepdown, BUT i really should make a 1000watt light board for testing, maybe in series, the bulbs actually might light LOL
    Don Smith Device Project Part 30 A: Capacitors Charging - YouTube

But not to confuse the double helix board with the 1996 device demo, that was the briefcase, which i believe from pics is Tesla's Pat# 433,702 "Electrical Transformer Or Induction Device"

"to secure a retardation of the secondary currents, a conductive iron layer of wire was wrapped around the primary, so that it saturates and delays the action, then when saturated at the designed level, the inductive action of the secondary then begins and produces a constant current at all loads"

Dons looked like he used a Metglass core, (like Bearden and JLN) and had the primary and secondary separated as described in Teslas patent.

Lets not forget that Don said his learning process was in replicating Teslas work, with todays quality and availability of modern components
    Last edited by mr.clean; 09-26-2012, 12:54 PM.
    In the beginner's mind, there are many possibilities.
    In the expert's mind there are few.
    -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• Originally posted by mr.clean View Post
      But actually other than the primary tank, the rest does do what its suppose to as far as i can see, this config tho would still need stepdown, BUT i really should make a 1000watt light board for testing, maybe in series, the bulbs actually might light LOL
      Don Smith Device Project Part 30 A: Capacitors Charging - YouTube
      Hello Mr Clean, enjoy all your posts. they are always definitive and to the point with all the accumulated info from experience that you have to give! what you give others can take and use to advantage at whatever level of build they are at!

Case in point, in the past I was curious concerning adding caps of whatever value - suposedly to an L1 or any type of primary as maybe an NST or such- across the coil in parallel to achieve reasonance when the coils internal self capacitance was already higher than needed and it seemed that adding parallel would really be blowing the cap value out of useable limits. However when listening to your explicit description of the cap values you added and then your showing that the actual reasonant frequency followed RIGHT ON to what you intended! seems to tell me that whatever internal self cap value the NST coil had it was actually immaterial and DID NOT influence obtaining the results you expected!!! Thats what hit me right off the bat. Ill have to try the same thing useing several different coils I have from previos builds and try to verify that for myself.

Again this shows how the value of documented EXPERIENCE is a great benefit to many others! thanks again for all of your past productive posts Sir!

mike, onward!

Comment

• Hertz puts you in the drivers seat

Originally posted by mr.clean View Post
        Yeah sorta the same, but the primary i could not get to work as shown by Don and this schematic, i could be missing something, and i hope i am, but i had to use parallel gap, and series cap to coil. and with already having HV, just step it down and use as DC

I think whats happening is the primary LC tank is vibrating until cap is full, then fires, BUT when the gap is firing, it becomes a parallel connection to the coil, and forms the resistive quality.
        Or "echoing" back thru the LC.
        More tests to follow but its going well i think

And the resonant 60 hz thing i just thought about trying..and it worked
        Don Smith Device Project Part 35: Resonant 60hz Transformer Experiment - YouTube
        And even Kapanadze and successful replicator Dally have said there is a mini Tesla coil incorporated in his design.
        (and Kapanadze did a 100kw public demo)
        Thanks Mr.clean for the latest examples of your work as it has inspired me to learn more.

Steve
        Last edited by Steve220; 09-26-2012, 03:47 AM. Reason: Thinking again
        One thing to keep in mind is, man wrote the laws regarding the conservation of energy, not nature.
        Nature writes it's own laws regardless of what man thinks or does.

Comment

• Originally posted by clarence View Post
          Hello Mr Clean, enjoy all your posts. they are always definitive and to the point with all the accumulated info from experience that you have to give! what you give others can take and use to advantage at whatever level of build they are at!

Case in point, in the past I was curious concerning adding caps of whatever value - suposedly to an L1 or any type of primary as maybe an NST or such- across the coil in parallel to achieve reasonance when the coils internal self capacitance was already higher than needed and it seemed that adding parallel would really be blowing the cap value out of useable limits. However when listening to your explicit description of the cap values you added and then your showing that the actual reasonant frequency followed RIGHT ON to what you intended! seems to tell me that whatever internal self cap value the NST coil had it was actually immaterial and DID NOT influence obtaining the results you expected!!! Thats what hit me right off the bat. Ill have to try the same thing useing several different coils I have from previos builds and try to verify that for myself.

Again this shows how the value of documented EXPERIENCE is a great benefit to many others! thanks again for all of your past productive posts Sir!

mike, onward!
          i appreciate that, i try to give people answers if i have any relevant experience
          -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• Eric Dollard

Originally posted by Steve220 View Post
            Thanks Mr.clean for the latest examples of your work as it has inspired me to learn more.

Steve
            cool! well a large step in my learning was Eric Dollard, his understanding of Tesla's work is unmatched by anyone else i've ever heard.

So "matter of fact" when he speaks. and he HAS "been there and done that"

Having overloaded the reverse breakers on the city of Belanus California in one of his Tesla experiments, his "radio devices" are now banned there.
            He liked it there due to the "intense" grounding he could get from the salt water and converging fault lines.

Essentially, for a moment he produced more power than the city was using!!!

Part 1 of 6: Eric Dollard Tesla Longitudinal wave Energy SBARC Ham Radio with Chris Carson - YouTube
            Any video of Eric must be preserved

it is unfortunate that Eric has had such a turbulent life, and it brings tears to say, but last i heard he chooses to live in his truck, and his research can only be impossible at best.

so sad, i really care about him.

He IS the closest to a living Nikola Tesla, and even in modern times, as Tesla himself, was betrayed, criticized, forgotten, seemingly crazy to some, etc..
            their late images were no measure of their life.
            Last edited by mr.clean; 09-26-2012, 01:39 PM.
            -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• Eric Dollard

cool! well a large step in my learning was Eric Dollard, his understanding of Tesla's work is unmatched by anyone else i've ever heard.

So "matter of fact" when he speaks. and he HAS "been there and done that"

Having overloaded the reverse breakers on the city of Belanus California in one of his Tesla experiments, his "radio devices" are now banned there.
              He liked it there due to the "intense" grounding he could get from the salt water and converging fault lines.

Essentially, for a moment he produced more power than the city was using!!!

Part 1 of 6: Eric Dollard Tesla Longitudinal wave Energy SBARC Ham Radio with Chris Carson - YouTube
              Any video of Eric must be preserved

it is unfortunate that Eric has had such a turbulent life, and it brings tears to say, but last i heard he chooses to live in his truck, and his research can only be impossible at best.

so sad, i really care about him.

He IS the closest to a living Nikola Tesla, and even in modern times, as Tesla himself, was betrayed, criticized, forgotten, seemingly crazy to some, etc..
              their late images were no measure of their life.
              The site would not let me edit my last post, so I deleted it. Eric Dollard is one of a kind as his knowledge of Tesla’s work is far beyond anyone else that I am aware of. I do have his written material from many years ago that is still relevant today. I hope Eric is able to resolve his personal problems as you say he is a modern day Tesla for sure that speaks from experience. Eric may not need the world, but the world needs Eric more than he really knows in a future built on electricity.

Who knows what Tesla invention will be required to cope with an ever changing mix of energy related technologies? Eric Dollards interpretation of Tesla’s work I feel will prove very valuable during the next hundred years and beyond.

A mix of new and old technologies side by side one supporting the other as I don’t see a reason why a modern computer could not be used to control energy producing equipment based on older simpler technology. The best of both worlds as better is always better, whether old or new. An interesting future for sure.

Steve
              One thing to keep in mind is, man wrote the laws regarding the conservation of energy, not nature.

Comment

• Hi all,

Would be great if someone could help me out.

Attached is a screenshot of a slide Don used in the video DS 1996 Tesla Symposium Part 8.
                Does anyone have information on the third depiction?
                Looks like a parallel LRC circuit, but cannot find any info on amplification.

The second attachment is about spark gaps.
                I have looked at a lot of spark gap videos, but none seem to use the SG like
                drawn by Don, unless I have misinterpreted it and it is the same as the one
                used for Telsa coils?
                Some of his devices use a GDT and others do not seem to use any form of SG,
                or they are well hidden.

Would be great if someone could comment on the above.

Thanks
                Martin
                Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Harvester View Post
                  Hi all,

Attached is a screenshot of a slide Don used in the video DS 1996 Tesla Symposium Part 8.

used for Telsa coils?
                  or they are well hidden.

Thanks
                  Martin

I didn't found that particular document Don mentioned but it's related to solution of wave equation. This like other solutions are never mentioned but exists and was analysed by Steinmetz and others 100 years ago. Don't ask me about details , I only saw it once in old book, it's related to one parameter related to inductance and resistance , mostly to lower resistance and rise inductance. I will try to find it after finishing others demanding tasks.

Comment

• Spark gaps

Originally posted by Harvester View Post
                    Hi all,

used for Telsa coils?
                    or they are well hidden.

Thanks
                    Martin
                    Hi Martin,

I'm not an expert, but as I understand it, the three-contact spark gaps will have a smaller gap between the top two contacts than the gap between the top contacts and the ground connection contact. The idea is that the wanted sparks pass between the top two under normal working conditions, but if there is a major overload, then the excess is discharged to ground through the third contact. I believe that Farnell and others supply these three-contact Gas Discharge Tubes.

If this is correct, then you can get the same effect by having a spark gap or GDT to handle your normal sparks and a higher voltage GDT to make the earth connection for disaster conditions.

However, please understand clearly that this is just my uneducated opinion and there may be a much greater function with the three-contact GDT where the ground connection actually contributes additional energy to the spark passing between the top two contacts. We really need some very experienced person well versed in the theory to say exactly what happens and why.

Patrick

Comment

• Originally posted by Harvester View Post
                      Hi all,

used for Telsa coils?
                      or they are well hidden.

Thanks
                      Martin
                      Great shot of the oscillating page, still i wish i could see it clearer.

the first one showing the sparkgap is what i used in my first experiments, i didnt think it was good to have such a close short circuit, so i put a ground in the middle.
                      It seemed to spark across the gap easier with the ground, but, it seems more for safety. i dont have any grounding right now, except on the output of my future metglass stepdown trafo, and maybe the centertap grounded, as a true bipolar Tesla coil.

i may possibly use 2 separate grounds 10m apart, if i can actually get over a volt reading between them

from experience...
                      the next pic is resonant (ring) 1.ring-down, 2.sustained amplitude, 3.and ring-up.

i believe it depends on which coil you are scoping, in most cases, the ringDown is seen on the secondary coil, and the "Trumpet" ring-Up is seen on primary.
                      And in the case of Dons double helix board, and many "perfectly tuned" Tesla coils, there is a reflection of strong waves occuring particularly at resonance between the 2
                      Giving you a giant Whale-like pattern. it is debatable if there is more power than the input, but you would not get such strong amplitudes without the resonant relationship.

Here is an interesting scope shot of realtime tuning on the fly, observe the pattern
                      DRASTIC Tuning on the fly - YouTube
                      and here is how he did that
                      tapper.MPG - YouTube

1. can be acheived by building an LC tank circuit for both primary and secondary, and slowly firing pulses, or firing sparkgap at a low freq.

2. is what you would see if tuning your coil, it will respond with most amplitude at its resonant freq, but this freq must not be interupted, or you would see it ringing Down.

3. can be acheived by scoping your primary while the LC charges up to its capacity and cannot hold anymore, but it must be allowed to discharge just before the full point.
                      Otherwise it would look like #2
                      it seems to have a "launching" effect of the building current, as i get best lite when i can see that on my scope
                      -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• Spark gaps

Great shot of the oscillating page, still i wish i could see it clearer.

the first one showing the sparkgap is what i used in my first experiments, i didnt think it was good to have such a close short circuit, so i put a ground in the middle.
                        It seemed to spark across the gap easier with the ground, but, it seems more for safety. i dont have any grounding right now, except on the output of my future metglass stepdown trafo, and maybe the centertap grounded, as a true bipolar Tesla coil.

i may possibly use 2 separate grounds 10m apart, if i can actually get over a volt reading between them

from experience...
                        the next pic is resonant (ring) 1.ring-down, 2.sustained amplitude, 3.and ring-up.

i believe it depends on which coil you are scoping, in most cases, the ringDown is seen on the secondary coil, and the "Trumpet" ring-Up is seen on primary.
                        And in the case of Dons double helix board, and many "perfectly tuned" Tesla coils, there is a reflection of strong waves occuring particularly at resonance between the 2
                        Giving you a giant Whale-like pattern. it is debatable if there is more power than the input, but you would not get such strong amplitudes without the resonant relationship.

Here is an interesting scope shot of realtime tuning on the fly, observe the pattern
                        DRASTIC Tuning on the fly - YouTube
                        and here is how he did that
                        tapper.MPG - YouTube

1. can be acheived by building an LC tank circuit for both primary and secondary, and slowly firing pulses, or firing sparkgap at a low freq.

2. is what you would see if tuning your coil, it will respond with most amplitude at its resonant freq, but this freq must not be interupted, or you would see it ringing Down.

3. can be acheived by scoping your primary while the LC charges up to its capacity and cannot hold anymore, but it must be allowed to discharge just before the full point.
                        Otherwise it would look like #2
                        it seems to have a "launching" effect of the building current, as i get best lite when i can see that on my scope
                        So good to hear of your progress on your latest bipolar Tesla coil experiments. It does make some sense to me and the relationship between the coils and other things sounds about right. This and another place is where I do most of my learning, so it is greatly appreciated. With what I learn here I hope to someday be able to make a similar device. Until then, I will continue to gain knowledge through the work of others.

Thanks, mr.clean

Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve220 View Post
                          So good to hear of your progress on your latest bipolar Tesla coil experiments. It does make some sense to me and the relationship between the coils and other things sounds about right. This and another place is where I do most of my learning, so it is greatly appreciated. With what I learn here I hope to someday be able to make a similar device. Until then, I will continue to gain knowledge through the work of others.

Thanks, mr.clean

Steve
                          well not really new, i mean how Don's is kind of a bi-polar setup
                          -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• Originally posted by mr.clean View Post
                            well not really new, i mean how Don's is kind of a bi-polar setup

Comment

• arching trumpet wave form

and what is unique is how using a parallel gap, and then series cap to coil (is what im using anyway)

Typically you can get this type of wave at lower freq...
                              ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

When you get a really good setting on everything, you can really articulate the bell shape of the Ring-up...
                              ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

it seems that most drivers can be made to work, but you will find best results with a quality high freq driver, running on DC, and using a good flyback transformer in it.

Having the high freq really makes a difference on the input side.
                              -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• Self charging

Today I was experimenting again on Don/Bruce setup and it seems that it is charging the source battery
                                I've did two stepdown tranformers to lower voltage from two MOcaps in series.
                                I will do a vid on this.
                                Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X