Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by xee2 View Post
    @ harishsingh

I do not see what this has to do with Don Smith, but this is similar >>> Carrington circuit replication - YouTube
    The important part there is capacitor before step up transformer primary. If tuned to LC series resonant frequency it would give best output with minimal input...

The push-pull mechanism is best with MOSFETs but still good with pnp/npn transistors too. Just in real circuit you need to be careful on switching times because it is easy to get caught on race condition what will burn transistors. The MOSFET
    Last edited by T-1000; 08-30-2012, 08:29 PM.

Comment

• [QUOTE=T-1000;207160]The important part there is capacitor before step up transformer primary. If tuned to LC series resonant frequency it would give best output with minimal input...

Good idea.

Thanks,

Steve
      One thing to keep in mind is, man wrote the laws regarding the conservation of energy, not nature.
      Nature writes it's own laws regardless of what man thinks or does.

Comment

• matching transformer primary resonance

Originally posted by T-1000 View Post
        The important part there is capacitor before step up transformer primary. If tuned to LC series resonant frequency it would give best output with minimal input...

The push-pull mechanism is best with MOSFETs but still good with pnp/npn transistors too. Just in real circuit you need to be careful on switching times because it is easy to get caught on race condition what will burn transistors. The MOSFET
        @T1000 and @ Harishsing

The carrington circuit is good @ the supply voltage levels indicated in the circuit. If it is going to be implemented in higher voltage circuits with matching transformer primary to working resonance frequency with a capacitor before the step up transformer, can create a tremendous voltage rise even with secondary of the transformer is open without a proper voltage limiting discharge gap @ the primary. It may fry the output push pull semiconductors faster than you expect. Consider a proper Voltage limiting Discharge Gap @ the primary.

Hope it helps

Regards

jj

Comment

• Low Voltage High Frequency Device

Originally posted by clarence View Post
          This gives me the ability to to run the driver unloaded through the frequency ranges and discover the driver coils OWN reasonant frequency easily. for example my present driver coil arrangement was supposed to give me an output of 320volts by standard transformer winding ratios- and it did just that at the lower frequency ranges-but when I hit its reasonant frequency the voltage output JUMPED to over 1000v! the reasonant frequency for that coil scenario was 42.5Khz.
          Hi Clarence,
          I enjoyed your post.I will consider experimenting with aircore.Could you describe the process by which you determined the resonant frequency of your coil? I assume you are referring to the L2 coil.If waht you said is the case, then if I modify the driver to run at 1 MHz, then I could just add capacitors to let my L2 resonate with the driver frequency.How about L1? According to Don and what you have,the frequency.Making it into a tank circuit too might lessen your power consumption on the driver end.Of course this is all Don's stuff.

Can you give us the measurement of the LC of your L2 or get its approximate resonance by calculating it?

I calculated the frequency based on your schematic.The frequency I got was different from what you mentioned.Where did I go wrong? See pic.

It is desireable to know the reasonant frequency of the driver someone uses so they can then match their Smith L1 and L2 coils to that and receive the ambient energy results they are trying to achieve. the driver will only hit its resonance by using air coil primary and secondary.
          thanks again for your considerations, mike, onward!
          Remember that you can modify your coils by adding caps to form tank circuits at specific resonant frequency.In CCFL resonant transformers, they use series resonance on the L2.Forced oscillations from L1.

I calculated the frequency of your driver based on your schematic.See attachment.The frequency is different.Are there anything that I left out?

What if 2 NPN transistors were used? Pulsed DC?

You are onto good stuff.

Keep it going.

Ged
          Last edited by Gedfire; 06-19-2013, 08:37 PM.

Comment

• Donald Smith Video 2005

Originally posted by DilJalaay View Post
            yes i downloaded the vid and it works for me.
            give me a day or two, i will covert and upload to yt.
            Hello DilJalaay,

Many many thanks in advance for your valiant effort.I sincerely appreciate your efforts to the converted version.As soon as it is ready, please let me know.

Thanks again!

Ged

Comment

• T-1000

Originally posted by T-1000 View Post

Hello T-1000,

I see that the capacitor you mentioned in the circuit is an electrolytic capacitor.I don't know but can you get a resonant circuit from this? See pic.Also, what if we used two npn instead?

Also, you are also you are one of the more experienced, Advanced Level Experimenters on this forum, could you say if the Don Smith one transistor works? See pic.

Best regards,

Ged
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Gedfire; 06-19-2013, 08:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gedfire View Post
                Where exactly is the resonance you speak of?

HS
                The circuit is interesting.It is an dc to ac inverter with rectification.

Now my idea is to MAX out the 555 timer and use FERRITE core instead.Peculian, this is also a good schematic to modify.Just turn up the oscillations on the 555 timer to near maximum or use a driver which can get higher frequencies.Then use your own HF transformer to get 250 volts BUT AT SAY 3MHz!

Then you can go ahead and rectify.Maybe an earth ground would work too.

If I had the skills, I would modify my 400 watt inverter, but it just looks like its booby trapped.

Making my own inverter and modifying it to pulse 12 volts in to 250 volts out at 3 Mhz which is then rectified and grounded should be promising.

Now to that helicopter sound i am hearing outside....

Ged[/QUOTE]

Hi Ged,
                I'm gravitating towards a bifilar to see if I can get the delayed Lenz effect and transformer action. We could use a transformer with center tap to help us thru the initial tests.

Regards,
                HS

Comment

• [QUOTE=clarence;207081]
                  Originally posted by harishsingh View Post
                  Hi Peculian,
                  I've had this on my mind but had to forage the links from my second pc. Sorry for the delay.

This is a clever resonant charging device can be used for self-charging a battery or for pulse charging a bank of capacitors like Don Smith.

Hello Harishsingh, I enjoyed the post with its schematic very much.
                  after studying the schematic it occurred to me it could be used as an effective low voltage-high frequency driver circuit to power the L1 coil on my Don Smith build (the driver I am using now has low voltage on one lead side of the output-drives me nuts). I prefer to use my own built driver instead of other types.
                  I modified the circuit you gave as outlined in the thumbnail below. I would appreciate your thoughts on it and any and all comments will be greatly respected and appreciated. One additional note I would like to make is that my twelve volt primary and stepup higher voltage secondary for the driver coils does not use any type of iron or ferrite core at all. This gives me the ability to to run the driver unloaded through the frequency ranges and discover the driver coils OWN reasonant frequency easily. for example my present driver coil arrangement was supposed to give me an output of 320volts by standard transformer winding ratios- and it did just that at the lower frequency ranges-but when I hit its reasonant frequency the voltage output JUMPED to over 1000v! the reasonant frequency for that coil scenario was 42.5Khz. It is desireable to know the reasonant frequency of the driver someone uses so they can then match their Smith L1 and L2 coils to that and receive the ambient energy results they are trying to achieve. the driver will only hit its reasonance by using air coil primary and secondary.
                  thanks again for your considerations, mike, onward!
                  Hi Clarence,
                  If the idea is to only compute the resonant frequency of the coils, why don't you use a MOSFET ? They usually come with higher voltage ratings.

DC/DC Step-up Converter using 555 timer | 12V to 40V - YouTube

You might also want to have a diode across the primary to protect the driver from inductive spikes. Elsewhere I mentioned this as BEMF suppression. That was incorrect. That diode across the coil will only prevent inductive spikes. This is the number one cause of MOSFET burnout. And always use GND.

More Watts Out Than In? P1 - YouTube

Transient-voltage-suppression diode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Using ferrites and flyback cores with gaps, we could get resonance at a higher frequency which is a good thing. But it's not so easy to implement. I guess that's a tradeoff we have to overcome.

Regards,
                  HS

Comment

• Thanks

Originally posted by harishsingh View Post
                    The circuit is interesting.It is an dc to ac inverter with rectification.

Now my idea is to MAX out the 555 timer and use FERRITE core instead.Peculian, this is also a good schematic to modify.Just turn up the oscillations on the 555 timer to near maximum or use a driver which can get higher frequencies.Then use your own HF transformer to get 250 volts BUT AT SAY 3MHz!

Then you can go ahead and rectify.Maybe an earth ground would work too.

If I had the skills, I would modify my 400 watt inverter, but it just looks like its booby trapped.

Making my own inverter and modifying it to pulse 12 volts in to 250 volts out at 3 Mhz which is then rectified and grounded should be promising.

Now to that helicopter sound i am hearing outside....

Ged
                    Hi Ged,
                    I'm gravitating towards a bifilar to see if I can get the delayed Lenz effect and transformer action. We could use a transformer with center tap to help us thru the initial tests.

Regards,
                    HS[/QUOTE]

Hi HS,

Good stuff.Keep us informed By the way , what kind of Bifilar? CW then CCW ala Zilano/Don Device?

Ged
                    Last edited by Gedfire; 08-31-2012, 04:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by myenergetic View Post
                      @T1000 and @ Harishsing

The carrington circuit is good @ the supply voltage levels indicated in the circuit. If it is going to be implemented in higher voltage circuits with matching transformer primary to working resonance frequency with a capacitor before the step up transformer, can create a tremendous voltage rise even with secondary of the transformer is open without a proper voltage limiting discharge gap @ the primary. It may fry the output push pull semiconductors faster than you expect. Consider a proper Voltage limiting Discharge Gap @ the primary.

Hope it helps

Regards

jj
                      Thanks for the heads up Myenergetic. I was looking to put a safety gap on the secondary.

Regards,
                      HS

Comment

Hi Ged,

Regards,
                        HS
                        Hi HS,

Good stuff.Keep us informed By the way , what kind of Bifilar? CW then CCW ala Zilano/Don Device?

Ged[/QUOTE]

I'm going to try CW then CCW. Thanks Ged.

Regards,
                        HS

Comment

Hi Clarence,
                          I enjoyed your post.I will consider experimenting with aircore.Could you describe the process by which you determined the resonant frequency of your coil? I assume you are referring to the L2 coil.If waht you said is the case, then if I modify the driver to run at 1 MHz, then I could just add capacitors to let my L2 resonate with the driver frequency.How about L1? According to Don and what you have,the frequency.Making it into a tank circuit too might lessen your power consumption on the driver end.Of course this is all Don's stuff.

Can you give us the measurement of the LC of your L2 or get its approximate resonance by calculating it?

I calculated the frequency based on your schematic.The frequency I got was different from what you mentioned.Where did I go wrong? See pic.

Remember that you can modify your coils by adding caps to form tank circuits at specific resonant frequency.In CCFL resonant transformers, they use series resonance on the L2.Forced oscillations from L1.

I calculated the frequency of your driver based on your schematic.See attachment.The frequency is different.Are there anything that I left out?

You are onto good stuff.

Keep it going.

Ged
                          Good point.

Thanks,
                          Steve
                          Last edited by Steve220; 08-31-2012, 12:10 PM. Reason: Spelling error
                          One thing to keep in mind is, man wrote the laws regarding the conservation of energy, not nature.
                          Nature writes it's own laws regardless of what man thinks or does.

Comment

Hello DilJalaay,

Many many thanks in advance for your valiant effort.I sincerely appreciate your efforts to the converted version.As soon as it is ready, please let me know.

Thanks again!

Ged
                            Hi Ged,
                            Here is the first part, sonner will upload more.

Don Smith Inventors Weekend 2005 (DVD1) Part 01

Don Smith Inventors Weekend 2005 (DVD1) Part 01 - YouTube

Regards,
                            D.J

Comment

• driver info & pics & schematic

Originally posted by Gedfire View Post
                              Hi Clarence,

You are onto good stuff.

Keep it going.

Ged
                              hello Gedfire,

the previous thumbnail I posted was in respose to an earlier post by HS. I submitted a possible modified version to be possibly used by me to replace the driver I am useing now. I have NOT built that modified schematic yet!

the reasonant frequency I was speaking of was the actual reasonant frequency of my PRESENT driver. you need to know the ACTUAL reasonant frequency of whatever driver you are going to use. all 3 of the main blocks of a system need to reasonate together at the same frequency. my present driver I built has included in its internal circuit the necessary variable pots to go from about 12khz to 100khz. this has given me the ease to determine my divers OWN reasonant frequency by simply dialing the variable pots through their range and hitting its reasonant frequency! my driver coils are built on a 1 1/2 inc acrylic tube with inner length for turns of 5". the coil turns are 50/1377. according to conventional transformer rules then my driver output should be figured as--- 12v/50 turns =.24 v X 1377 =330.48 v output. here is how came to know the reasonant frequency of the driver - without a load an the output leads I started dialing at the lower frequency ranges and the output voltage was as conventionaly expected, however as I dialer higher and higher the output voltage rocketed to over 1000v instantly at a certain point!!! that point for the characteristics of this build turned out to be 42.5 khz! thats how I determined the drivers ACTUAL reasonant frequency!!! The mammouth additional voltage was not from CEMF or BEMF as conventions would attempt to say, this was an air core build! - no iron , no ferrite AT ALL! the additional voltage came from the ambient background just like we all are trying to achieve with our larger kvar smith coils known as L1 and L2!

I have attached the build schematic of my present driver in a thumbnail (also includeing the block schematic of my complete system) and also pics of the internals on my driver and it variable freq knobs on the outside. please note the placement of the additional components in the block system schematic, they are not there by accident!

enough for now Ged, in another long post I will tell you about matching the reasonance of the smith L1 and L2 coils. (hint- at first the input into L1through the driver circuit was drawing almost 60 ma and the GDT was running hot as hell because of the current-- now thrugh knowledge and its application the GDT runs COOL and the circuit current is just 8+ ma!meaning Im at the threshold of reasonant frequency match to the driver at 42.5khz-bye) mike, onward!
                              Last edited by clarence; 04-29-2013, 02:43 PM.

Comment

• Clarence LV HF Device

hello Gedfire,

enough for now Ged, in another long post I will tell you about matching the reasonance of the smith L1 and L2 coils.
                                Hey Clarence,

Thank you very much for sharing! You seem very close and what a set up.This should serve as a good example of experimenting without breaking the bank

I look forward to that very long and usually informative posts.This post of yours will definately be placed in my top 5 schematics to try.

All the best!

AND

Ged

Comment

Working...
                                X