Donald Smith Devices too good to be true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mr.clean View Post
    hi all, just here workin, i am working on the stepdown setup for my stepup coils

3 watts AC input,and 20 watt halogen lit up bright

Don Smith Device Project Part 31: 3 Watts In, 20 Watt Halogen Lit Bright - YouTube
    Nice video.
    Have you done a comparison of brightness from different input sources?
    As in the 20W bulb from your setup and a 20W bulb from a transformer?
    Are they equal in brightness?

Comment

• Originally posted by xee2 View Post
      I do not think you need higher amperage transistors but you may need higher voltage. I am a fan of trouble shooting by starting at the input and working through the circuit. Have you tried putting some kind of load at the output of L4 in place of the full wave rectifier? A 40 watt incandescent bulb might be a good choice. If you do not have power there you will not have power from the output.
      I'll try that.Thanks for the help

Comment

• new stepdown tuning vid

Hi people, i just did another vid on tuning and using the stepdown setup.
        My calculator told me 51khz, but actual resonance was found at 53khz...
        ...and no other....
        So now using 15nF on 628uH L1, and strangely 10nF on L2, must be a harmonic of 251khz? but it hardly affects the system with or without L2 cap.

I explain the connections and tuning process.
        I also do a full wattage comparison, this time used 40v ac with 200mA to find full 20 watts brightness compared to the standard DC.
        The ONLY freq that lights up L2 is 53khz, so as i can choose accurately between 20 thru 70khz on the fly, all that is necessary is dial 53khz on the driver.

Don Smith Device Project Part 32: Stepdown Coil Tune and Resonance at 53Khz - YouTube
        In the beginner's mind, there are many possibilities.
        In the expert's mind there are few.
        -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• One thing I noticed in your setup:
          Your primary is over length of entire selenoid and D Smith original intention was primary between 2 secondaries: Donald L. Smith 1996 Tesla Symposium Part 4 - YouTube
          Donald L. Smith 1996 Tesla Symposium Part 4 - YouTube

Also originaly primary+ secondary followed N. Tesla coil rules - each secondary weight = weight of primary and each secondary has quarter wave resonant frequency. In addition D Smith made all coils from iron/nickel intentionally for use of magnetic field amplification and he always talked about magnetic resonance, not electrical resonance...

P.S> Here is D Smith live demonstration with this device - Donald L. Smith 1996 Tesla Symposium Part 19 - YouTube (could not find any other except this)

Hopefully this helps.
          Last edited by T-1000; 06-26-2012, 01:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by T-1000 View Post
            One thing I noticed in your setup:
            Your primary is over length of entire selenoid and D Smith original intention was primary between 2 secondaries: Donald L. Smith 1996 Tesla Symposium Part 4 - YouTube
            Donald L. Smith 1996 Tesla Symposium Part 4 - YouTube

Also originaly primary+ secondary followed N. Tesla coil rules - each secondary weight = weight of primary and each secondary has quarter wave resonant frequency. In addition D Smith made all coils from iron/nickel intentionally for use of magnetic field amplification and he always talked about magnetic resonance, not electrical resonance...

P.S> Here is D Smith live demonstration with this device - Donald L. Smith 1996 Tesla Symposium Part 19 - YouTube (could not find any other except this)

Hopefully this helps.
            Hehe, are u saying this incorrect?

Yes, im tuning a stepDOWN setup to go onto the stepUP coils previously shown tuned in other vids.

thanks for the link, but ive memorized the 19 part vids
            and actually it was the briefcase device demo there, not the double helix design

Lol what did Don "intend" exactly?
            I do recall him saying "i just wanted to see how the parts fit on the board"

Don's board illustrates a step up configuration, but having the "loose" coupling between the coils ( not tightly coupled by a solid core ) i feel that the essence of the design is still intact. Just using the design backwards, no different than the stepup.

I think that the step up layout was to ultimately achieve a high FREQ ring with the high volts, but with todays modern quality parts, we can find the high voltage and FREQ with the driver alone, then straight to the stepdown coils for use. (which is not shown on Dons how to "use it" )

This vid was just to demo how i will use the power from the stepup coils... IF i see no improvement, then i will stick with the stepdown coils only.

ive never had a clear definition of the intention, but the coils only reacting at 53khz with the function gen, with an apparent gain, with FREQ alone, tells me this is the "resonance" im looking for,
            Don Smith Device Project Part 32: Stepdown Coil Tune and Resonance at 53Khz - YouTube
            Last edited by mr.clean; 06-26-2012, 03:24 PM.
            -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• Originally posted by mr.clean View Post
              Hehe, are u saying this incorrect?
              Lol what did Don "intend" exactly?
              I do recall him saying "i just wanted to see how the parts fit on the board"

Don's board illustrates a step up configuration, but having the "loose" coupling between the coils ( not tightly coupled by a solid core ) i feel that the essence of the design is still intact. Just using the design backwards, no different than the stepup.

I think that the step up layout was to ultimately achieve a high FREQ ring with the high volts, but with todays modern quality parts, we can find the high voltage and FREQ with the driver alone, then straight to the stepdown coils for use. (which is not shown on Dons how to "use it" )

This vid was just to demo how i will use the power from the stepup coils... IF i see no improvement, then i will stick with the stepdown coils only.
              In a way to rebuild device, you probably would like to listen carefuly what D Smith was saying about where he started..
              Donald L Smith Inventors Weekend 2001 - YouTube
              All other devices are just upgrade of first concept.

Cheers!

Comment

• Kacher Tesla Coil with Copper Pipe - LB 230V 25W

Hi All

I was testing new setup with Kacher Tesla coil and L3 5Turn Output Coil. This time I used Copper pipe with slit and put it inside L2 Secondary HV coil to see if I get any gain.
                You will see in video that gain when I connect the Copper pipe with single wire to L3 Output coil is very noticeable ( 230V 25W light bulb above full brightness ).

The only problem is that the input power goes up as well and setup consumes 75Wats to light 25W light bulb

Here is the Schematic:

Here is the Layout:

Here is the Video:
                Kacher Tesla Coil with Copper Pipe - LB 230V 25W - YouTube

JoeFR

Comment

• Best Spark Gap Design

Originally posted by GSM View Post
                  Very neat KD.

Also, as I mentioned to Farmhand, can I suggest that you concentrate on the plasma within your 'spark gap' metals, where ionisation needs to generate an aligned plasma (not just a 'spark') in the gap, such that a resulting photonic avalanche can fractionally dissociate spark gap matter radiantly to energise electrons and thus cause excess charge flow via oscillating resonance.
                  Hello GSM,

Liked your response.Ever since I found out that I got power from placing a coil close to a sparkgap, and a reaction from the non voltage contact on my multimeter at distances of 2 feet,I have been interested in making the ultimate spark gap.Any ideas, plasma tube and other gas related devices seem to generate tremendous power.

What would you suggest for the ultimate spark gap?

Best regards,
                  Ged

Comment

• Originally posted by T-1000 View Post
                    In a way to rebuild device, you probably would like to listen carefuly what D Smith was saying about where he started..
                    Donald L Smith Inventors Weekend 2001 - YouTube
                    All other devices are just upgrade of first concept.

Cheers!
                    you must be referring to Don s work being tesla s original work, I am Very familiar with patent 336,961 and 336,962.... the improvement on the former.

you will notice that he IS energizing the full helix, but he used an armature with magnets, so any way you want to enegize it is fair game, what better than the resonant freq?
                    talk later, gotta go to work
                    -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• High Voltage High frequency

Originally posted by Peculian View Post
                      Hi Gedfire !
                      Well, we need to study more and experiment more
                      Because, without resonance = no power, no juice in our bucket.

Thanks for sharing the goods.

Interesting

wow, Big Caps ? Be careful with those beats buddy.
                      Earth Ground is a Must for gain in power.All succesfull inventions started with grounding to achieve what they achieved.

I personally dunno, but does your DMM have a frequency counter ?
                      Also be careful not to screw up you DMM !

@Mr.Clean
                      Thanks for sharing the goods with us all
                      Hope you go ahead with more success !

cheers and Regards.
                      Hello Peculian,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

My DMM does have a frequency counter.

But is really designed to measure voltages at 50-60hz.So I was thinking I build a probe from a diode bridge and cap to give DC.I could measure the steady DC voltage instead.

I am trying to rid myself of coils as much as possible (or rather reduce their usage to a minimum).So I am aiming for Capacitive transformer designs.

All works very well in LT Spice but only experimenting can confirm.

Capacitive Transformers look very promising to me.

Thanks man!

Ged

Comment

• Originally posted by joefr View Post
                        Hi All

I was testing new setup with Kacher Tesla coil and L3 5Turn Output Coil. This time I used Copper pipe with slit and put it inside L2 Secondary HV coil to see if I get any gain.
                        You will see in video that gain when I connect the Copper pipe with single wire to L3 Output coil is very noticeable ( 230V 25W light bulb above full brightness ).

The only problem is that the input power goes up as well and setup consumes 75Wats to light 25W light bulb

Here is the Schematic:

Here is the Layout:

Here is the Video:
                        Kacher Tesla Coil with Copper Pipe - LB 230V 25W - YouTube

JoeFR
                        Hi joefr,

nice approach and very good video.
                        use caduceus as primary then load wont affect input.

thanks and regards

dunfasto
                        Last edited by dunfasto; 06-26-2012, 05:45 PM.

Comment

• Toroid Tranny

Originally posted by dunfasto View Post
                          Hi Gedfire,

you did not use the toroid transformer thats why the bulb didnt light. use toroid transformer after the plauson caps.

thanks and regards

dunfasto
                          Thank you very much for the suggestion.I will try it.I wonder if the capacitive transformer would work with this?

Ged

Comment

• Originally posted by Gedfire View Post
                            Thank you very much for the suggestion.I will try it.I wonder if the capacitive transformer would work with this?

Ged
                            Hi gedfire,

yes it will work but capacitors are bad as they discharge whole energy in split second and if we dont catch this split second energy in a coil then we loose it fast and cannot be judiciously used. thats why caps are always sparked to a coil.

thanks and regards

dunfasto

Comment

• Kacher TC with StepDown Transformer - Load Does Not Affect Input

Hi All again

This is my new setup with Kacher Tesla Coil and StepDown 300VA 230V - 12V Toroid transformer. The load in this setup does not affect the input. OK, it affect it a little as the input goes down a little when I connect 12V 60W Car bulb to StepDown transformer output.

Here is the Schematic:

Here is the Layout:

Here is the Video:
                              Kacher TC with StepDown Transformer - Load Does Not Affect Input - YouTube

JoeFR

Comment

• Xenon!

Hi,
                                xenon bulb for car headlights seem to work really good!

I have also tested big mercury bulb from street lightening with good effect! The mercury bulb I advice to cover with towel or something, think I hurted my eyes temporary looking at it??

We call it "welding flash" in my country

Kind rgds D

Originally posted by Gedfire View Post
                                Hello GSM,

Liked your response.Ever since I found out that I got power from placing a coil close to a sparkgap, and a reaction from the non voltage contact on my multimeter at distances of 2 feet,I have been interested in making the ultimate spark gap.Any ideas, plasma tube and other gas related devices seem to generate tremendous power.

What would you suggest for the ultimate spark gap?

Best regards,
                                Ged
                                "Being myself a remarkably stupid fellow, I have had to unteach myself the difficulties, and now beg to present to my fellow fools the parts that are not hard. Master these thoroughly, and the rest will follow. What one fool can do, another can."

Silvanus P. Thompson, F.R.S.

Comment

Working...
                                X