Donald Smith Devices too good to be true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SLOW-N-EASY View Post
    Hey Drak I was referring to the first one I listed. It is a 9500 volt NST with a voltage divider and a store bought Inverter.

Everything there has been checked by the manufacture to be quality. A very simple device. The NST

puts out 285 Watts THat translates to about 23 amps @ 12v for the Inverter to run off of.

Regards
    Ah, ok. Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by drak View Post
      Ok, I was able to tune my custom nst from a range of 170khz to a little below 17khz using a cap bank array and a bunch of switches. I got tired of swapping caps on a breadboard. Yeah I know there is probably better ways to do it but it got the job done for me.

Using Don's silent spark gap configuration I went slowly from 170khz down to 17khz on my nst while my coils were set to resonate at 224khz. I got nothing.

I changed my coil set resonance down to 148khz and scanned again, nothing.
      Maybe Don did purposely change the schematics. Although he did say when the device was running the lightning arrestor just glowed.

By nothing I mean I think a fly landed on my L2 coil while I was testing and it just sat there and stared at me.

Any suggestions?
      Hi drak,

yes don smith hidden a cap before the spark gap in the circuit. just add the cap as shown in figure and that will make the difference from zero to hero.

i mean C1 cap in the figure C2 you already have with your coil and even if you remove C2 cap the circuit will work still. To oscillate any LC circuit we need to short L and C intermittantly and this thing spark performs well working like a fast relay switch.

pic attached below

Best regards

dunfasto
      Last edited by dunfasto; 08-24-2013, 10:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nutgone View Post
        I can't help but cast my mind back to school days, where we measured energy (& such things) by heating stuff, perhaps boiling water???

Surely, the ultimate test for our output will be to see how long it takes to boil a litre of water???

I have a 12v kettle, as well as a 120v & 230v kettle, at my disposal. That will surely stop all this debate over erroneous readings from various multimeters & other measurement devices.........
        That's what I've been thinking.....better than lighting bulbs...

Comment

• Originally posted by dunfasto View Post
          Hi drak,

yes don smith hidden a cap before the spark gap in the circuit. just add the cap as shown in figure and that will make the difference from zero to hero.

i mean C1 cap in the figure C2 you already have with your coil and even if you remove C2 cap the circuit will work still. To oscillate any LC circuit we need to short L and C intermittantly and this thing spark performs well working like a fast relay switch.

Best regards

dunfasto
          The device I'm referring to is this device:

Which has this schematic:

I'm confused. There is no resistor in that device, or antenna.

Comment

The device I'm referring to is this device:

Which has this schematic:

I'm confused. There is no resistor in that device, or antenna.
            Hi drak,

remove antenna. and remove resistor. and see circuit as such. this circuit will give uniform field to your primary so it can electrostatically transfer it to secondary.

pic attached below

Best regards

dunfasto

Comment

• @SLOW-N-EASY

What is this capacitor doing?

Comment

How is that C1 Calculated? To match the resonance of the coil set or to match the resonance of the nst? Or something different?

Comment

You probably have much more experience than me with this type of circuit. But I built several circuits like this to drive car coils and they worked OK (no over unity or anything like that). In your circuit, once the spark fires the coil will resonate at a frequency determined by the inductance and the capacitance (nothing to do with the NST frequency). The spark frequency will be the rate at which the coil ringing is restarted. I would suggest moving the capacitors to the other side of the spark gap. That way the charge storage capacitors which have low Q (high resistance) will not be in the resonator and you will get higher resonator voltage. To get more power out, increase spark gap and increase the amount of capacitance. I suspect you already know all of this, but maybe this will help.
                  Last edited by xee2; 06-16-2012, 03:15 AM.

Comment

How is that C1 Calculated? To match the resonance of the coil set or to match the resonance of the nst? Or something different?
                    Hi drak,

you can use C1 and L and dont use C2 cap. So the cap C1 and L will decide the resonant frequency of your primary.

please strictly follow the figure below as it gives uniform electrostatic field over whole length of primarycoil L.

all you have to do is just to shift your caps you have already joined with your primary across the spark gap that is shift to left.

better use caduceus as primary and you go bingo!

warning:-
                    do not use the original spark gap tran figure as it gives tesla coil like field which is not uniform its max at top of coil and zero at the base of coil. so dont use that.
                    here is original pic

hope u r getting sparks on secondary coil. reply if yes.

best regards

dunfasto

Comment

• @xee2 and dunfasto

You are both recommending I alter the circuit to a loud spark gap. I've already done all this. Watch my videos. I'm copying exactly the circuit of this device:

I don't see how Don could have hid a capacitor on that device unless he hid it in the nst or the PVC pipe.
                      Last edited by drak; 06-16-2012, 03:30 AM.

Comment

@xee2 and dunfasto

You are both recommending I alter the circuit to a loud spark gap. I've already done all this. Watch my videos. I'm copying exactly the circuit of this device:

I don't see how Don could have hid a capacitor on that device unless he hid it in the nst or the PVC pipe.
                        Hi drak,

ok if you want silent spark then do one thing.

insert ferrite core in your primary coil tube and use the original Don circuit as you have already in the pics uploaded by you of your setup.

best regards

dunfasto
                        Last edited by dunfasto; 06-16-2012, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Hi drak,

ok if you want silent spark then do one thing.

insert ferrite core in your primary coil tube and use the original Don circuit as you have already in the pics uploaded by you of your setup.

best regards

dunfasto
                          The way you talk sounds familiar, but I will try it tomorrow.

Thanks

Comment

match resonance of primary and secondary.

if you try to match nst frequency with primary yes you can match it but it wont give much output as it has less turns compared to secondary.

best regards

dunfasto

Comment

• ampere hour of capacitor

HIiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

very useful!

1A = 1C/1sec
                              1C = 1A x 1 sec
                              then for an hour
                              3600 C = 1A x 1 hr
                              now...
                              capacitor is charged to 5V, this means, Q=CV
                              0.235 C = 0.047F x 5V

so then, 0.235 / 3600 = 65.2 uA / hr

so ampere hour ratting will come to 65.2 uA-hr, provided the current draw is constant.

full regards

XILO

(zero voltage input)
                              Last edited by xilo; 06-16-2012, 05:26 AM.

Comment

• @SLOW-N-EASY

An input of 9500 volts into a voltage divider using an 80ohm and a 1ohm resistor yields 117.284v. What kind of inverter is that? Where can I get one that is tested by the manufacturer?

Maybe its supposed to be 800ohm? That would make the output 11.86v.
                                Last edited by drak; 06-16-2012, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X