Donald Smith Devices too good to be true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ostone View Post
    And a stupid question here, how to tune the LC combination?

I had tune the combinations as this:

Please correct me.

Best regards.
    Or any other way for exactly tuning?

Comment

• Any of you guys are welcome to use my coil driver circuit with variable frequency and duty cycle.

I paid to have this designed but feel free to use it how you wish.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...uitdiagram.jpg

Comment

Actually you should be looking at Donald L. Smith 1996 Tesla Symposium Part 8 - YouTube before tuning..

Comment

• Capacitors

Originally posted by zilano
          cfl is just load to light brighter cfl we need to use 470mkfd 400 volts at base of transistor 2n3055 which is earthed. we can use 4000 mkfd 800 volt before cfl to lower voltage and get cold electricity to run cfl.

instead of cfl as load we can use it to supply don coil too. wont work without load coz load is in series with charging neon.

Hi Zilano those caps that you've told me AC or electrolyte? ;cause today I went to buy 470uf 400v and the electrostore guy told me that AC caps of this kind a very big
          Did you mean electrolyitic for that car coil circuit?
          Thanks

Comment

• Choke

Originally posted by datek View Post
            Hello Gedfire,

I was wondering the same thing, and then I found about the following
            website.

DC Tesla Coil design

It looks very similar to this circuit Zilano posted???

Datek

I have seen the stuff on that website.To be frank,I don't fully understand the circuit posted by Zilano.So I would like to ask Zilano or any other members of the forum who can clearly explain that schematic giving details such as how to get the right value choke, whether or not bifilar or caduceus was used, power in and out.Fine tuning the device etc.

Ged

Comment

• Good Stuff

mopozo and don smith and importance of earth grounding.
              vdo

snapshot

TROS -- Don Smith III "tuning" - YouTube
              Thanks for the link.

Could you please,if possible address my other queries?

Best regards,

Ged

Comment

Here are directions to tune a regular TC, L1 is very straight forward, but im pretty sure you need to have it all hooked up in order to tune L2 as shown here... all hookups coming off L2 will affect tuning, the load as well.

That's why in these instructions for a regular TC, you need to have a wire to simulate a streamer, because the inductance will change under load...
                I realize we are talking about two different things, TC/Smith, but not that different...
                This hepled me, plus it has a link to JAVATC, a very simple program to enter values and it pumps out your anwser

Oscilloscope Tuning a Tesla Coil for Resonance

And here is an Inductance calculator

Coil Inductance Calculator - 66pacific.com

And here is a resonant freq calculator

LC Resonance Frequency Calculator at WhatCircuits.com

YOU WILL SEE THAT DONS VALUES MATCH ALMOST PERFECTLY...

Looks like he used 251 khz though
                (try it yourself, inductance of say a 2uH with .2uf capacitor for primary tank... And 12.2 uH (half of L2) with .03uf (.047 on Dons) capacitor for secondary tank)
                Gives a perfect 251khz..... no prob....JUST USE THESE VALUES FOR CAPACITORS ON YOUR SIGNAL DRIVER

220nF - 3Hz to 600Hz
                47nF - 14Hz to 2.5kHz
                10nF - 71Hz to 10kHz
                1nF - 710Hz to 87kHz
                470pF - 1.5kHz to 170kHz (after this point the pulse shape is significantly rounded without good quality square wave, a basic 555 will not cut it, use another chip to controll Duty cycle in the circuit)
                100pF - 6kHz to 263kHz
                47pF - 10kHz to 870kHz

So looks like a tiny little 100pf will do the trick... 15cents or less
                Last edited by mr.clean; 12-14-2011, 04:11 PM.
                In the beginner's mind, there are many possibilities.
                In the expert's mind there are few.
                -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• Schematic

well in my case choke is 20mh. only simple coiling used. no caduceus and no bifilars. ferrite can be used aswell as aircore. its tuned by variable caps. the freuency of operation depends upon trigger generating hv of 50 hz so we get 50 hz frequency at output.

rgds
                  zzzz
                  Thanks Zilano.

Comment

• Originally posted by mr.clean View Post
                    Here are directions to tune a regular TC, L1 is very straight forward, but im pretty sure you need to have it all hooked up in order to tune L2 as shown here... all hookups coming off L2 will affect tuning, the load as well.

That's why in these instructions for a regular TC, you need to have a wire to simulate a streamer, because the inductance will change under load...
                    I realize we are talking about two different things, TC/Smith, but not that different...
                    This hepled me, plus it has a link to JAVATC, a very simple program to enter values and it pumps out your anwser

Oscilloscope Tuning a Tesla Coil for Resonance

And here is an Inductance calculator

Coil Inductance Calculator - 66pacific.com

And here is a resonant freq calculator

LC Resonance Frequency Calculator at WhatCircuits.com

YOU WILL SEE THAT DONS VALUES MATCH ALMOST PERFECTLY...

Looks like he used 251 khz though
                    (try it yourself, inductance of say a 2uH with .2uf capacitor for primary tank... And 12.2 uH (half of L2) with .03uf (.047 on Dons) capacitor for secondary tank)
                    Gives a perfect 251khz..... no prob....JUST USE THESE VALUES FOR CAPACITORS ON YOUR SIGNAL DRIVER

220nF - 3Hz to 600Hz
                    47nF - 14Hz to 2.5kHz
                    10nF - 71Hz to 10kHz
                    1nF - 710Hz to 87kHz
                    470pF - 1.5kHz to 170kHz (after this point the pulse shape is significantly rounded without good quality square wave, a basic 555 will not cut it, use another chip to controll Duty cycle in the circuit)
                    100pF - 6kHz to 263kHz
                    47pF - 10kHz to 870kHz

So looks like a tiny little 100pf will do the trick... 15cents or less
                    mr.clean, thx for the info.
                    Maybe variable caps is a good idea. But variable caps are low capacitance. As don's device,he used .2uf and .047uf, variable caps could not help. Maybe variable caps are good for fine tuning.
                    Last edited by ostone; 12-14-2011, 07:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by zilano
                      well 470uf is electrolytic and 4000uf is ac type. but if u use ac type then u dont have to worry abt polarity. the 470uf is attached to base of transistor so polarity is to be looked after.

rgds
                      zzzz
                      4000uf 800v is not that easy to find even on Ebay and it's a bit expensive
                      is it possible to use lesser uf instead this capacitor? maybe I would try to put caps in parallel to reach highest uf?.
                      Thanks

Comment

mr.clean, thx for the info.
                        Maybe variable caps is a good idea. But variable caps are low capacitance. As don's device,he used .2uf and .047uf, variable caps could not help. Maybe variable caps are good for fine tuning.
                        Oh for sure, just is that they're kinda big and heavy. I have one but im limited to its range.

Seems like you always need it to adjust a bit more and then... ah ran out of adjustment Lol
                        Plus with the last setup, the plates would arc across, WAY overvolted...
                        ...I guess the typical variable caps arent meant to handle 50,000 (or so) volts LOL (guessing 50k, because it can arc past one cm from L2

Good idea though, nothing tunes as smooth an air capacitor, then just measure your cap, and bingo, the capacitance you need is read by your meter
                        Last edited by mr.clean; 12-14-2011, 09:46 PM.
                        In the beginner's mind, there are many possibilities.
                        In the expert's mind there are few.
                        -Shunryu Suzuki

Comment

• Don Smith Video

Originally posted by T-1000 View Post
                          Actually you should be looking at Donald L. Smith 1996 Tesla Symposium Part 8 - YouTube before tuning..
                          @All/Zilano
                          Does anyone know the name of the text or book where Don shows the overunity circuit and waveform in his overhead slide? The video is too fuzzy to see it clearly unless someone has a clear copy.

Comment

• Originally posted by nightwind View Post
                            @All/Zilano
                            Does anyone know the name of the text or book where Don shows the overunity circuit and waveform in his overhead slide? The video is too fuzzy to see it clearly unless someone has a clear copy.
                            The book is linked in the other Don Smith thread. I'll see if I can find it for you.

It does make me wonder why he did not put a scope across his device and show that wave form for real. I actually think that waveform will only be seen with no load.

Cheers

Comment

• Talked about in this post.

http://www.energeticforum.com/99055-post421.html

And actual book for sale link in this post.
                              http://www.energeticforum.com/99063-post422.html

Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by Farmhand View Post
                                Talked about in this post.

http://www.energeticforum.com/99055-post421.html

And actual book for sale link in this post.
                                http://www.energeticforum.com/99063-post422.html

Cheers
                                Thanks Farmhand, the book looks like it is written in French. I have a hard time understanding English at times

Comment

Working...
                                X