• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TEKTRON View Post
    No.It's not dismantled, it's broken now

Comment

• Tpu

Originally posted by zilano

THERE R TWO KINDS OF ELECTRICITY DYNAMIC THAT WE USE IN DAILY LIFE AND STATIC THAT EXIST IN ENVIRONMENT. TESLA RADIANT USED STATIC ELECTRICITY TO DYNAMIC. ITS HARD TO MAKE AN ANTENNA 300 FT LONG SO WE MAKE STATIC ELECTRICITY FIRST AND MAKE IT DYNAMIC BY PULSING AND CONVERT IT INTO KINETIC ENERGY ELECTRICITY. HIGHVOLTAGE IS SAME AS STATIC ELECTRICITY WITH ALMOST NO AMPS YET VOLTAGE ONLY. WE CHARGE CAP OR CHARGE INDUCTOR AND PULSE IT TO MAKE DYNAMIC ELECTRICITY. STATIKA IS ONE EXAMPLE OF STATIC TO DYNAMIC ELECTRICITY.

STATIC HAS TO BE STORED OR PULSED DIRECTLY

OR RATHER CHARGE TO LIGHT UP AND LIGHT UP TO CHARGE! SPARK!

RGDS
      ZELINA ZILANO ZEIS ZANE
      ;-)
      Hi Zilano do you have translation of this TPU like device?
      Thanks

Comment

• Don Smith L1-L2 awg question

In Don's setup he uses a Barker-Williamson coil for L2 which is:
        awg=12, turns=40, diameter=3", turns per inch=4. (he cut off 4 turns from the middle)

Now for L1 he uses turns=4-5, diameter=2" but what is the awg that he uses? I've read somewhere that he uses Speaker jumbo cable. Any specs on that?

In this thread i read about different setups f.e. : L1=18awg, L2=12awg which makes primary thinner than secondary, which is different from what Dons shows on the videos and on the pdf, since primary is thicker than Secondary.
        Last edited by bitlotbit; 10-19-2011, 08:18 AM.

Comment

• In that case because secondary is step up (more windings) I bet it should have smaller diameter. The best condition is when in secondary and primary there is the same amount of ATOMS, meaning the same weigth.

Comment

• So the best way to go about getting the awg of the wire is actually create L1 or L2 and match the weight of the two wires using different awg. Don't we need at the same time to maintain the rule that L1 is 1/4 length of L2?

So if L2 is 12 awg, then 40 turns, diameter=3", turn space=10mm will need 367".8 which is 31.4 feet = 0.6206 pounds of copper according to : American Wire Gauge, AWG Cable Size Description for Copper Wire Cable

1/4 length of L2 is 31.4/4=7.85 feet

---------------

We know that L1 is 5 turns with coil Dia=2" that comes to a length of 33",36850394 which is 2.7807 feet, which is different from the above of 7.85 feet calculation.
            But if we need to much the weight of L1 (0.6206 pounds) to L2 for different awg then for 7.85 feet and 0.6206 pounds we need awg=6.

==================================================

Calculations:

wire length = 2*π*(Diameter/2)*Turns+(Turns*turn_space)
            circle circumference =2πr

Any commends?

Comment

• Measuring Inductance

Zilano,

I just bought a LCR Meter and is learning to use it.It is an extech with QRD parameters.It does measurements in series and parallel.Now which do I use?

When I measure the inductance of a coil with the PARALLEL mode on I get 8.380 mH.When I measure the inductance in SERIES mode I get 0.013 mH. So which one is accurate.Those two inductances would have given me TWO different capacitor values to match the L1 to resonance.

Which do I use and why ?

As a side note, what guage wire did you use for the HV transformer you made?

I am building mine from scratch just like you did.

Best regards!

Comment

• Well,I'm not good in calculations I have got between AWG 1 and AWG 0 means a huge wire between 7 and 8 mm diameter. That's optimal case.
                In fact Tesla used flat copper strips.

Comment

• Originally posted by bitlotbit View Post
                  So the best way to go about getting the awg of the wire is actually create L1 or L2 and match the weight of the two wires using different awg. Don't we need at the same time to maintain the rule that L1 is 1/4 length of L2?

So if L2 is 12 awg, then 40 turns, diameter=3", turn space=10mm will need 367".8 which is 31.4 feet = 0.6206 pounds of copper according to : American Wire Gauge, AWG Cable Size Description for Copper Wire Cable

1/4 length of L2 is 31.4/4=7.85 feet

---------------

We know that L1 is 5 turns with coil Dia=2" that comes to a length of 33",36850394 which is 2.7807 feet, which is different from the above of 7.85 feet calculation.
                  But if we need to much the weight of L1 (0.6206 pounds) to L2 for different awg then for 7.85 feet and 0.6206 pounds we need awg=6.

Calculations:

wire length = 2*π*(Diameter/2)*Turns+(Turns*turn_space)
                  circle circumference =2πr

Any commends?
                  Hi,

I have no precise formula (not yet ) to calculate coil configurations.
                  Induction receiving coils on MHz frequency should have large surface (skin effect).

What setup are you going for?
                  Type A:[CW,CCW] or
                  Type B:[6A reverse Tesla coil] ?

Your calculated value example Type A:
                  Say HV L1 input 2000V. 5 turns; L2 40 turns (each or total {CW,CCW}?)

2000V / 5 = 400V/turn transfer to L2. (40 * 400) = 16KV AC Vpp !!!
                  So 8KV DC after diode bridge and double frequency on capacitor bank.

Type A:
                  L1 1/4 length of L2.
                  So L2 is split {CW and CCW}. 2*1/2 lengths, total full wave.

Type B:
                  L1 1/4 length of L2.
                  L2 is full wave. (this coil maintains resonance on FULL WAVE ???)
                  6A is 1/4, 1/2, 1 length ??? (resonance maintained coil) Reverse Tesla Coil

Frequency depends on capacitor bank storage, to keep it full ???

246/freq in mhz= length of primary(1/4 wavelength) in feet

then this length will oscillate at the frequency in mhz

secondary= 4x length of primary

we choose frequency ourselves and higher the better.
                  Best regards
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by cognito; 10-19-2011, 03:09 PM.

Comment

• LCR Meter

Can anyone explain how to use a simple LCR meter? I bought one and the instructions are not adequate. Don't want to burn it up!

Comment

• Hello everyone!

Please see more detailed circuit attached.

Few hints:
                      1) flyback must be in resonance with not fully saturatеd core.
                      2) The AV plug must work from "hot" wire after flyback transformer before connecting "cold" wire to secondary TT coil.
                      3) The HV sparks after secondaryt TT coil do not burn and do not hurt when coil is not connected.
                      4) The ferrite inside of TT magnifies effect and you must use tune variable capacitor before TT for it.

Have fun and good luck replicating it!
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Gedfire View Post
                        Zilano,

I just bought a LCR Meter and is learning to use it.It is an extech with QRD parameters.It does measurements in series and parallel.Now which do I use?

When I measure the inductance of a coil with the PARALLEL mode on I get 8.380 mH.When I measure the inductance in SERIES mode I get 0.013 mH. So which one is accurate.Those two inductances would have given me TWO different capacitor values to match the L1 to resonance.

Which do I use and why ?

As a side note, what guage wire did you use for the HV transformer you made?

I am building mine from scratch just like you did.

Best regards!
                        If you are measuring a small air core coil it's not the the 8.3 mH reading it'll be the other one 0.013 mH.

Nowatts, just make sure you only measure unconnected coils no caps or anything connected.

Just connect one end of the coil to each probe and select the range.

Always short you're capacitors before measuring capacitance. Very important.

I connected a cap to mine after charging the cap with an ignition coil without
                        thinking, I heard a pop but the meter still seems to work, for now. If it fails it
                        can go in the bucket with all the other fried meters.

Cheers

Comment

• Has anyone been able to get a spark gap to fire in this configuration:

I've tried matching the resonance with my NST by using the resonance calculator to pick the cap value. Also tried the nomograph thing, and still could not get it to fire. I'm assuming this is the correct way for a parallel spark gap. Or maybe I'm calculating it wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by drak View Post
                            Has anyone been able to get a spark gap to fire in this configuration:

I've tried matching the resonance with my NST by using the resonance calculator to pick the cap value. Also tried the nomograph thing, and still could not get it to fire. I'm assuming this is the correct way for a parallel spark gap. Or maybe I'm calculating it wrong.
                            I'm not certain Drak but I think with a parallel spark gap there is no diode.

I think the cap is in series and the spark gap in parallel like in the drawing on this page. EDIT: scroll down below the table of figure's.
                            Tesla Coil Design Guide

Oh and on a side note it seems these sparks from this experimental Tesla coil setup don't hurt or tingle, at least not until I use more than 500 Ma on the input.
                            Cold Sparks.wmv - YouTube

Cheers

Comment

• Originally posted by Farmhand View Post
                              I'm not certain Drak but I think with a parallel spark gap there is no diode.

I think the cap is in series and the spark gap in parallel like in the drawing on this page. EDIT: scroll down below the table of figure's.
                              Tesla Coil Design Guide

Oh and on a side note it seems these sparks from this experimental Tesla coil setup don't hurt or tingle, at least not until I use more than 500 Ma on the input.
                              Cold Sparks.wmv - YouTube

Cheers
                              Very interesting video, nice. What frequency was it running at? What voltage do you think those sparks were?

Yeah, I get pretty good results with the cap in that position, was just trying to go by that smith pdf where it says:
                              However, with Don's arrangement, it can be a little difficult to see why the capacitor is not short-circuited by the
                              very low resistance of the few turns of thick wire forming the L1 coil. Well, it would do that if we were operating
                              with DC, but we are most definitely not doing that as the output from the neon-tube driver circuit is pulsing 35,000
                              times per second. This causes the DC resistance of the L1 coil to be of almost no consequence and instead, the
                              coil's "impedance" or "reactance" (effectively, it's AC resistance) is what counts. Actually, the capacitor and the L1
                              coil being connected across each other have a combined "reactance" or resistance to pulsing current at this
                              frequency. This is where the nomograph diagram comes into play, and there is a much easier to understand
                              version of it a few pages later on in this document. So, because of the high pulsing frequency, the L1 coil does
                              not short-circuit the capacitor and if the pulsing frequency matches the resonant frequency of the L1 coil (or a
                              harmonic of that frequency), then the L1 coil will actually have a very high resistance to current flow through it.
                              This is how a crystal set radio receiver tunes in a particular radio station, broadcasting on it's own frequency.

Well, maybe its because my nst is not putting out a pure sinewave..

Comment

• Originally posted by drak View Post
                                Very interesting video, nice. What frequency was it running at? What voltage do you think those sparks were?

Yeah, I get pretty good results with the cap in that position, was just trying to go by that smith pdf where it says:

Well, maybe its because my nst is not putting out a pure sinewave..
                                Where did that drawing come from Drak ? Are you sure it is drawn by Don ?
                                It looks like it was modified by someone else.

I haven't even tried a parallel gap yet I keep distracting myself having fun.

The frequency I'm pulsing the ignition coil at is 1.4 Khz and 2.8 Khz when I
                                flick the switch, the input is barely 200 Ma at the lower frequency input. The
                                coils themselves are much higher frequency but the accumulated charge
                                breaks down the gap when the spark fires, there are two accumulation points,
                                one in the primary caps and one in the toroid terminal. If I increase power to
                                the ignition coil by increasing PW the spark gap frequency increases in tones.

I estimated the voltage of the sparks to be about 20 Kv in that video, but
                                they can get a fair bit bigger if I use just one coil ground connected, I was
                                discharging HV caps charged from the second Tesla transformer's output coil
                                through a neon while I was doing that also.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X