Donald Smith Devices too good to be true

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dragon View Post
    Taking from tesla's early patents of the magnifying transmitter and wireless energy, Don's coil is basically an inline version of this. If you split dons coil and spread them out you would have the transmitter as tesla laid out without a primary on the second secondary. Jacksons work with the small units also present the use of counter wound coils but said it would operate either way but "seemed" to operate better when they were wound opposite. I can confirm they operate well in either form and I personally wasn't able to see a difference in output on the reciever wound in either direction.

Adding a primary on the second secondary of don's coil you basically have an original magnifier ( with the exception of using a helical instead of a flat coil ). Don's original "table top" device did NOT have a reversed winding but I have my doubts that unit ever actually worked.
    Sounds about right to me. When I look at a flat spiral coil, it is unique in the
    way it, if flipped, it is changed from CW to CCW. Because a flat spiral coil has
    only width no turn height. A flat spiral coil can only really be wound one way.
    I think.

I think a normal solenoid should be wound CCW shouldn't it ? In general.

My Tesla transmitter and receiver are helical and both wound CCW and it seems to work just fine.

So I am assuming Dons original "table top" device was a CCW coil cut in the middle.

Comment

• There is one point I can make I think might help.

If the center tap is connected directly to ground at Mhz frequency I think it
      would be counter productive, I think there needs to be one of those transient
      doohickies (varistor I think) or something there to give some kind of partial isolation or something.

And if no cap is used in the secondary still the FWBR will affect the secondary
      frequency and so this is why I think it should be tuned while an equivalent load
      to that which is desired is connected to the FWBR.

Cheers

Comment

• Sorry for all the posts guys. But I agree with Zilano or whoever said it, that the
        best way to get the power from the final 8000 volt cap bank out of the system
        would be the Tesla Step down method with Spark gap.

After that it can be conventional.

Cheers

Comment

• Zilano, How do you calculate what voltage my output is. If left for a long time it will charge a cap up to about 140 volts with my current spark distance, but I can increase or lower that. If you are talking about what voltage my cap bank would be at after one spark or after a certain time period. For example, these scope shots are after the FWBR charging a 16.5mF 900v cap:

Zoomed in on one individual spark:

My voltage divider should be dividing down to 12volts I understand but from 56volts or 140volts?

Comment

• Awesome scope shots Dragon

Anyway, this is the way I think I would do it. I think I would use a bulb or
            something there for voltage control shunt. Maybe a blown one or even a fluro
            tube or some other valid device. Once the juice is out of the big caps and
            sparked through a Step down it should be fairly isolated from the main device
            resonance. Which means we could do whatever we want with it.

The load could be the supply cap of an inverter.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comment

• Originally posted by Farmhand View Post
              Awesome scope shots Dragon

Anyway, this is the way I think I would do it. I think I would use a bulb or
              something there for voltage control shunt. Maybe a blown one or even a fluro
              tube or some other valid device. Once the juice is out of the big caps and
              sparked through a Step down it should be fairly isolated from the main device
              resonance. Which means we could do whatever we want with it.

The load could be the supply cap of an inverter.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I still have my other coil on the shelf I could hook it back up. But I'm going from nst directly to step down right now so I'm getting low voltage, not enough to spark. I might try that later if I can't get this one working. Saving your picture in my archives Looks quite easy to test.

Comment

• Originally posted by Farmhand View Post
                There is one point I can make I think might help.

If the center tap is connected directly to ground at Mhz frequency I think it
                would be counter productive, I think there needs to be one of those transient
                doohickies (varistor I think) or something there to give some kind of partial isolation or something.

And if no cap is used in the secondary still the FWBR will affect the secondary
                frequency and so this is why I think it should be tuned while an equivalent load
                to that which is desired is connected to the FWBR.

Cheers
                Wouldn't it be better to interact with the ground "source" without any impedance? I'll do a video of the importance of earth grounding in the next couple of days to show how the circuit is effected. I have a ton of coils laying around so I can throw something together fairly quick to show the intensity...

You can use caps in series to reduce voltage without loosing a significant amount of energy, such as through a resistive type voltage divider.

As far as matching the load, That really wouldn't be necessary. Matching the resonance to the caps your filling should be sufficient. Matching the output of the secondary coils to the size of capacitor would be needed to assure it would be full for each discharge pulse to the output.

I like your drawing idea, the only thing I would change would be the output pulse, it should be reversed every half wave through the distribution transformer to provide a full wave to the load. A rotary spark gap would work nicely for such a task.

I'm not working on a Smith device, it's more related to the magnifier, although there are quite a few similarities.

Comment

• Originally posted by zilano
                  VOLTAGE CONTROL SHUNT IS A VARIABLE CAPACITOR

OK, I guess that does make good sense.

Comment

Wouldn't it be better to interact with the ground "source" without any impedance? I'll do a video of the importance of earth grounding in the next couple of days to show how the circuit is effected. I have a ton of coils laying around so I can throw something together fairly quick to show the intensity...

You can use caps in series to reduce voltage without loosing a significant amount of energy, such as through a resistive type voltage divider.

As far as matching the load, That really wouldn't be necessary. Matching the resonance to the caps your filling should be sufficient. Matching the output of the secondary coils to the size of capacitor would be needed to assure it would be full for each discharge pulse to the output.

I like your drawing idea, the only thing I would change would be the output pulse, it should be reversed every half wave through the distribution transformer to provide a full wave to the load. A rotary spark gap would work nicely for such a task.

I'm not working on a Smith device, it's more related to the magnifier, although there are quite a few similarities.
                    Yes I see, I will try a capacitor in series with the ground. Thanks.

I thought with my drawing it would be the simplest way to see the effect, but I agree producing a good sine wave at the desired frequency to the load does
                    seem to be the goal.

Looking forward to the video.

Cheers

Comment

• Here is a quick video of the importance of earth ground...

windfilter's Channel - YouTube

Don't mind the mess, I grabbed parts and pieces and tossed the circuit together just to show the differences in how the circuit is excited by the earth. It took longer to up load it than it did to build and film the thing... The circuit will drive up to a 25 watt bulb. The coil is a 50 turn secondary on an 8.5" form with a 2 turn primary driven by a Tip31 with a modified kacher circuit.

Comment

• Originally posted by zilano
                        POTTED MEANS SEALED WITH PLASTIC RESIN SO HIGH VOLTAGES DONT LEAK. POTTING IS DONE IN ALL BALLASTS AND NST'S.

Yes, Potted means a device is sealed in plastic resin. However, the term "High Potted" probably means that the device has passed a high-potential voltage test. You will commonly see this as "HI POT OK", or similar, on electronic devices.

regards
                        Dude, you're curving my space-time.

Comment

Here is a quick video of the importance of earth ground...

windfilter's Channel - YouTube

Don't mind the mess, I grabbed parts and pieces and tossed the circuit together just to show the differences in how the circuit is excited by the earth. It took longer to up load it than it did to build and film the thing... The circuit will drive up to a 25 watt bulb. The coil is a 50 turn secondary on an 8.5" form with a 2 turn primary driven by a Tip31 with a modified kacher circuit.
                          Yes I see, Are you using one coil or two ? Because what I see when I connect
                          mt center tap (connecting wire) to Earth is the scope shows the transmitter
                          waveform gets a much bigger sine wave, but the receiver coil stops working
                          so good. This tells me that my setup is then functioning as a regular Tesla coil
                          would, but it will not transmit through the ground like that.

Which might be just whats wanted for the Don Smith setup, but unless the
                          center tap is resonating the Earth the distant coil gets very little excitement.
                          It seems to me the Transmitter coil itself does become more energetic. And
                          for me when the sine wave gets bigger more power is used also. Spark gap
                          may well not have the problem of the increased power consumption.

I will say one more thing and that is a Tesla coil intended for making big
                          streamers is definitely supposed to be connected by the bottom of the
                          secondary coil to a good RF ground. So you're probably right.

Cheers

Comment

• I'm just using the single coil in that demonstration ( pri/secondary). What I've noticed with that arrangement - when there is no earth ground the environmental energy is larger, that is, there is more energy around the circuit as you would expect from a transmitter and it will light LED's and FL tubes around it at a good distance ( lots of "leakage" ). When the earth ground is connected this energy goes away and you have to stay fairly close to it to light the same LED's and FL's but the entire circuit is filled with current. As long as there is a potential difference between the bulbs circuit connection and capacitive connection the current will flow through it. In this case the battery terminals, copper plate or heat sink as the hot side and my body being the capacitive drain. I've done this with a single wire to a plug outlet where the return wire was to an aluminum block as well. Any potential difference.

One thing that stuck in my head was watching a video from Peter Lindemann where he presented a quote.... "Tesla always referenced his energy systems to at least two points and left the section that accumulated the energy in an open circuit so the natural medium could provide the potential difference between those points."

Personally, I'm not interested in transmitting energy over long distances and I believe the entire magnifier can be consolidated into a nice little package - which is why don's device is interesting as there are a few similarities.

The typical classic Tesla coil isn't what Tesla was after although it made for some nice shows, he was trying to contain it within the system. The classic tesla coil is capacitance hungry, the top loads are designed small so the voltage will seek a path outside the system - this is wasting most or all the energy by bleeding it back into the environment.

I would prefer to see a poorly lit FL tube next to the circuit with a very energetic containment where you can tap various potentials.

Comment

• lighting filament bulbs

Guys, guys, pleeeeeeeeease help - I see some of you are knowledgeable about Kasher stuff - Windfilter are you there?

I'm trying for a gazillion years to replicate RE - lighting filament bulbs with cold electricity- but to no avail.
                              I see that Windfilter was able to do just that - I mean he's holding a lightbulb in his hand without getting burns and stuff...
                              The question is HOW? - details, schematics etc.

thanks

Comment

yes cognito my transformer is center tapped at the 12V side...

i will try option 1, and also option 2 like farmhand is suggesting...

i have other idea in mind using option 2 to step down and generate full wave.

the output of my transformer haves 2 windings, 1 for 220V other for 110V(dont know if it is a tap or 2 independent windings).. i will try to use it in reverse, to step down to 12V..

is there anyway to generate fullwave with my 2 windings (220-110) without the use of transistors? maybe with FWBR before putting the energy on the step down transformer... just ideas...

thank you so much cognito

edit: i missed one post of zilano i think he answered my question, but i apreciate any feedback.. peace

Originally posted by cognito View Post
                                Best thing to do is option 1, because option 2 is only useful for lights, lamps and Zilano said spark gap is difficult to maintain on 60Hz.

Option 1: Use inverter circuit. Keep in mind you need center tapped transformer to generate full wave AC at the output.

Best regards

thank you zilano, you are very kind

Originally posted by zilano
                                POTTED MEANS SEALED WITH PLASTIC RESIN SO HIGH VOLTAGES DONT LEAK. POTTING IS DONE IN ALL BALLASTS AND NST'S.

Last edited by TanTric; 10-04-2011, 05:13 PM.
                                Light, I Am!

You are Not a Body that has a Spirit, You are a Spirit that Has a Body! There is no Path to Peace, Peace is the Path!

Comment

Working...
                                X