• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume 17 issue 2 from here

T.C.B.A. - Tesla Coil Builders Association - Browse All Issues

Comment

• Originally posted by sinergicus View Post
      Now is more clear for me;please tell me how you will chose ,calculate the shunting resistors in this type of circuits(in our case 27 ohm that I omited in my circuit and respectively 220 ohm in Zilano circuit ) .I suppose the the shunting resistor value depending on base resistor that we have ( and maybe other factors (?) ) .

If we will chose,for example higher value for base resistor ( so we will have higher frequency ) i suppose the shunting resistor must change his value also (?) .
      Anyway between 27 and 220 ohms is a big difference....I suppose ,with 27 ohm the circuit will work allot different like with 220 ohm shunt resistor...

Thank you for your explanations....
      Hi,

I have to keep it short now because have got limited time.

Please study this link: Bipolar transistor biasing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and there is here a more rigorous one:
      Biasing calculations : BIPOLAR JUNCTION TRANSISTORS this also includes the single resistor bias you use and the voltage divider bias in the bottom.

And here is relief for you after the rigorous one:

Transistors

Basically, if you understand the resistive voltage divider the output of which is loaded by the base-emitter diode junction of the transistor, then you got it. The 220 Ohm as the lower resistor of the divider gives a much higher operating bias voltage and hence higher collector current for the transistor than the 27 Ohm does.

good luck, will be back in a weeks time... sorry.

Gyula

Comment

• zilano

For NST you are suggesting series spark gap in both 60Hz and 35khz situation.What about parallel spark gap ? I saw in one of your schematic that it is used for NST because it doesn't load it with large current. Can we use it and in what situation ?

One more question : in case of 60Hz NST there is no diode in schematic. Does it mean capacitor must be matched to impedance of NST at that low frequency (60Hz) ?

Comment

• winding coils and assumed correctness/folley

Albeit unexplained and yet true and correct about how electricty collects amperes at a left handed better that a right handed coil? Who knowes why. that withstanding the ability of a right handed coil to assemilate amperes is also correct on the oposite side of a block wall. I just did a video about winding coils i will show you how to do it and maybe you will try to wind one yourself. Nicola tesla used right handed coils too for amperes at some point. To get a coil wound left and right handed at the same time you must start in the middle or the outside of the form and work you way to the inverse at the same time. If you loop it in the middle you can use one continuous wire. but watch how you connect it to the form if you do it wrong you will have a hard time getting it off the form.
          I will post my video on my utube chanel to watch. just a while.

Originally posted by zilano
          Hi Broli!

its nice to see that people have gained here and much brain than i have. am happy to see this change!

yes degger is right. i deliberately pushed in that coil thing.

;-)

now my work is over here!

thankx to u all!

its time for my break!

carry on!

regards

zelina zilano zeis zane!

alien atlantis !

zelina easy young one. I am 52 I am patient with God and not so patient with others all the time but I seek comfort when I get flabergasted at goofy questions. I must admit I send goofy questions often so I try not to pipe up too much.
          please come see my video. I will post link in a bit.
          h2ocommuter
          Last edited by h2ocommuter; 09-06-2011, 03:29 AM.

Comment

• Hi h2ocommuter, Where's the goofy question ? Dons says clear as a bell, to make the secondary just tap a ready made coil in the middle, so that would mean both coils are wound the same way as if they are one coil tapped in the center. According to Don, or was Don wrong or Don he missleading ? The question of the winding direction is a valid one.

Don't be condescending towards Broli and deggers because I brought it up too in this post.
            http://www.energeticforum.com/155314-post756.html

Nobody is setting out to upset anybody and why would they. If someone is upset at a valid question there is a problem.

So which way is the secondary wound ? Is it wound as in one direction tapped in the center ? OR is it wound so there are two opposite wound coils joined in the center for the center tap? Because in actuality it is a center tapped coil in my opinion, like Don says, I think it should be like a single coil as in wound the same way but tapped in the center. But of course I can't prove it. I'm only going on what Don said.

Surely it can't be both ! It must be one or the other, but maybe I wrong Maybe it can be both.

Originally posted by h2ocommuter View Post
            Albeit unexplained and yet true and correct about how electricty collects amperes at a left handed better that a right handed coil? Who knowes why. that withstanding the ability of a right handed coil to assemilate amperes is also correct on the oposite side of a block wall. I just did a video about winding coils as you quiried and upset the masters cart. i will show you how to do it and maybe you will try to wind one yourself. or buy one...
            relax Broli, deggers, relax... Nicola tesla used right handed coils too for amperes at some point so just do it. To get a coil wound left and right handed at the same time you must start in the middle of the form and work you way outwards at the same time as you go. If you loop it in the middle you can use one continuous wire. but watch how you connect it to the form if you do it wrong you will have a hard time getting it off the form.
            I will post my video on my utube chanel to watch. just a while.

zelina easy young one. I am 52 I am patient with God and not so patient with others all the time but I seek comfort when I get flabergasted at goofy questions. I must admit I send goofy questions often so I try not to pipe up too much.
            please come see my video. I will post link in a bit.
            h2ocommuter
            Cheers
            Last edited by Farmhand; 09-06-2011, 02:13 AM.

Comment

• Tesla Patent 336,691

Hey Guys!! It's all good!

Check Tesla patent 336,691. It shows the three different ways to connect the coil depending on what you are trying to do. They are all center tapped.

Don's tabletop device shows the coil wound in one direction only. With this setup you get a good balance of volts and amps.

The other two are connected more prominently for amperage. Don explains this in his 1996 lecture on Youtube.

Donald L. Smith 1996 Tesla Symposium Part 7 - YouTube

Teslauniverse has some high quality cleaned-up patents from Tesla. Check it out.

Take care
              Duane
              Last edited by deggers; 09-06-2011, 03:24 AM.
              Dude, you're curving my space-time.

Comment

• screech as I hold my own horses.

Originally posted by Farmhand View Post
                Hi h2ocommuter, Where's the goofy question ? Surely it can't be both ! It must be one or the other, but maybe I wrong Maybe it can be both.

Cheers
                Hi farmhand I was out of line saying it was goofy. I apologise.
                I totally agree. this is a truely reasonable question and not a bad one to ask. I decided when i found out about how Don stated it I would take a look at some coils and see what was up.
                I will retract my statement.
                I looked closly at dons, it is all righhanded coil. I have seen them built with both. I like the idea of the left handed like nicola teslas model that don had in the documents but who really knows.
                When i figured out the dynamics and how to wind them I felll in love with the combination CCW CW pair. my choise.

Ok Hear is a coil I just wound and I am a little unsure about how to get resonance with it.
                I think if I am driving it with a resonant coil this should resonate with it as long as it is a 1/4 length of it. Although I did not measure it I could measure the coils and estimate from there.

Here is a digital copy of the nomograph and one of Zelina's pictures as well. The nomograph originally 192 KB but gets rendered to 14 kb oh well if you need a good high res I will send it to you email.
                This is my neon transformer I will use to power this bifiler coil.

Her is the link to my coil video. Winding Bifiler Tesla coils.avi - YouTube
                I hope you like it. yea well it has a heart:-)
                Last edited by h2ocommuter; 06-30-2014, 06:27 AM.

Comment

• No probs, I don't actually know what to think about the direction myself. I can only theorise and I can only do that with the little knowledge I have.

I'll check out the video and stuff, but I'm not qualified to say either way, I might get confused and it may well work both ways anyway or better with CW-CCW, I just thought it was a good question is all. And probably one a lot of people are hestating to clear up about which way and why.

Please nobody take offense, it's only one small point of consideration.

Cheers

Comment

• Don't ya think it would of been easyer to wind one side first, then wind the other side instead of two at once???

Comment

• Perfect practice makes perfect.

Originally posted by the bob View Post
                      Don't ya think it would of been easyer to wind one side first, then wind the other side instead of two at once???
                      the bob,,
                      Just talking about winding air core coils I find it easier to wind them on a form mechanically.
                      I don't think so, well mechanically speaking anyways. if you can tie up the ends without them getting loose I think you are better winding them at the same time.

My winding tools are home made and need some improvement but from the small amount of testing I have done it is allways much cleaner if you can associate the spacing (allignment of the turnes tightly aginst each other) while winding mechanically you are going to get done in a much faster and efficient way. it usually takes three hands to make this kind of operation work so methodically go through it, make some tools and jigs or get help with the extra effort it takes to do it mechanically.

if you wind by hand especially with thick wire about 4 Gage is what I am using in the video you are going to be hurting when you are finished and the coils will be wavy
                      I allways like the mechanical aproach.

Comment

• I have tried to pay attention

Zelina,
                        I do not get the step up portion mathmatically.
                        I count 12 volts and 4 turnes and 8 turnes on the primary side oif the Ferrite core and 4 of this is the flyback so I don't think that counts for step up for the step up portion. then it goes to 4K turnes. now I can see the voltage being ran up like this; 12 / 8 = 1.5 volts per turn, then X 4K = 6KV
                        But lookin close we see 6-12 V in so we can assume you are adjusting the input to get the desired output. 4KV? am I close?

When I realized the documentation was being lost to over crowding and computer crashes I decide to copy the total pages in complete and have them in cronological order by page and referance, every day and whenever I could take the time.
                        It seems to me you had made a drawing of the flyback step up you are using. I would really like to have it if it is anywhere you know of.
                        I have two ferrite toroids I would like to see if I could build the NST, HV HF with flyback that would resonate with the coils I built.

I know that is a lot but I will take it one step at a time.

Now with the home made NST we are using the Transistor to Drive resonace at what we want and it is easily programable this way. so the resonant position is in the step down side of the equasion thus the majic happens. is that right completely?

I want to fire this thing up.
                        I will be patient..... and cautious!!!!!

h2ocommuter

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by h2ocommuter View Post
                          Zelina,
                          I want to fire this thing up.
                          I will be patient..... and cautious!!!!!

h2ocommuter

Thanks
                          #300 (permalink) 08-16-2011, 03:16 PM
                          zilano
                          Senior Member Join Date: May 2011

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by drak
                          Ok, If I have 38khz coming out of the flyback, and I have the induction in henry's of my primary. Then what again is the calculation for the cap farads I need?

use online calc
                          LC Resonance Calculator
                          LC Resonance Calculator

or tell me ur L u told me f only
                          zzz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Last edited by zilano : 08-16-2011 at 03:21 PM.

This was an old post I could'nt get to refer back with the quote so I did it maunally.
                          Anyway If I remember correctly Zelina. you stated somewhere that the capacitance of the coil and the cpacitance of the capacitor need to equal the total cpacitance of the resonant LCtank is that correct?

1.3 uF of my L2 Bifiler Left and right handed wound
                          and averaged about 5.1uH for each side of the Inductor. 5.7 on one side and 5.0 on the other. together they read 10.3
                          so my Resonant frequency needs to be 61,800 KC Now how do I get my ferrite core to do that?
                          accordiing to my replication journal these numbers should be correct.
                          will you concur?
                          If that is not practical then I realize i must do it with the spark gap and capacitors.
                          Thanks you
                          All I need is someone to bounce this information off of
                          I appreciate you so much
                          Have a wonderful day.
                          I want to LOL when I get somthing to resonate

Big blessing to you.
                          h2ocommuter

Comment

• Also wouldn't it be a waste of material to use solid wires, at such high frequency you're dealing with the skin effect and surface area of the conductor will be more important than volume.

Comment

• Flyback Instructable...

How to make a fryback!

Comment

• Anyone had any success yet?

Comment

Working...
                                X