X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zilano
    hI Folks!

important do read and follow!

Nikola Tesla (1856-1943) among its many incredible inventions / insights, also made this curious machine capable of generating high-voltage discharge. For many a teslacoil is a transformer, but it is an inappropriate term: the Tesla coil is not based on the principle of operation of the common transformer!
    There are various types of teslacoil:
    -SSTC (Solid State Tesla Coil): teslacoil of this type is called "solid state" as it is controlled by an electrical circuit with no moving parts and no spark gap. The resonant frequency is generated directly by an electronic circuit.
    -VTTC (Vacuum Tube Teslacoil): For fans of the genre, these works with vacuum tubes. To get really interesting discharges, you need to find huge military-type valves such as GU81M in some market places or specialized electronics distributors. The peculiarity of VTTCs is the high frequency of operation, generating harmless sparks via the skin effect, and you can tap them with your fingers!
    -SGTC (Spark Gap Tesla Coil): This is the most famous and classic teslacoil, which we will explain below. Bases its operation on the appropriate size of a few components.
    The aim in any case is to generate a resonant frequency on the primary winding that resonate on the secondary circuit, which must receive energy as a real antenna, but turning it to high voltages by reducing the amperage accordingly: in fact it is not free energy, since the energy output does not exceed the energy supplied.

How it works?

DON SMITH COIL IS TESLA COIL WITH A COMBO OF SINGLE PRIMARY AND 2 SECONDARIES BACK TO BACK. RESONATING AT 1/4

An SGTC teslacoil is based on two circuits oscillating at the same frequency:

Primary oscillating circuit Secondary oscillating circuit
    A generator produces a frequency of 50Hz at high voltage, typically between 4 and 12kv describing a wave that repeats itself over time 50 times per second:

When the half-wave is rising up, the primary capacitor is charged and the spark gap, which acts as an automatic switch, is opened to allow charging of the capacitor. The circuit must be designed so that the spark gap closes when the half-wave reaches its peak and the primary capacitor is at maximum charge!

When the spark gap closes, the high voltage generator is electrically separated from the circuit formed by the capacitor and the primary winding. In this condition, the capacitor start oscillating with the primary, and acts as a transmitter at a frequency that is the resonance frequency of the LC circuit:

The oscillation of the LC circuit is repeated until the charge is dissipated.

When the capacitor charge is completely dissipated during the oscillation, the spark gap no longer has enough energy to stay active, then it opens again, and begins a new cycle of charging the primary capacitor, thus repeating the above steps. This circuit without the secondary, it's just a powerful radio frequency transmitter.

The secondary circuit is a circuit that oscillates at the same frequency of the primary, but the value of the secondary inductance is much larger but still have the same frequency because C2 is a smaller capacitor compared to the primary C1 (the torus). This is the difference that introduce the big voltage amplification!

For optimum configuration of the secondary, you should adjust it to 1 / 4 of its natural frequency of oscillation, this allows for the highest point of the coil, a maximum voltage (this says the legend, and the experiments confirms...) To obtain this frequency is used just to add on top of the secondary coil a toroid or a sphere of the correct capacitance. If you imagine the wave of charge that develops on the side of the coil, you drop the peak point at the summit, the last loop: So here we have the maximum voltage at the minimum current, with discharges less dangerous and more longer! If the circuit is not sized correctly and the voltage peak point was lower, along the winding, this can lead to surface discharges over the coil with the consequent failure of the insulation and winding damage...

Imagine being on the swing, you swing your legs back and forth: the swing is initially barely fluctuates, but insisted the oscillation will increase even more. In this example, your legs are the primary winding and the secondary coil are the swing. If you continue swinging the legs (the primary using the capacitor charge) that will increase more and more and the oscillation of the swing will follow exactly the motion of your legs, but still further increases, is getting higher and higher. This is the voltage increase! The primary continues transmitting its energy to the secondary that is already oscillating, adding the two waves with each new oscillation, just like a swing. This is why it is important that the two circuits can oscillate at the same frequency!

The main components of a Teslacoil:

Determine the primary capacitor:

Consider a high-voltage generator which provides 6 kV and 100 mA at 50 Hz.

Z impedance of the generator:

Z = V / I = 6000(v) / 0.1(A) = 60Kohm

C1 capacitance to obtain a similar impedance :

C1 = 1 / (2 * Pi * f * Z) = 1 / (2 * Pi * 50(hz) * 60000(ohm)) = 53.87nF

Toroid - top load capacitance: (CALCULATION OF SEC CAPACITOR C2)

As L2 inductance of the secondary coil and Fq the frequency at quarter-wave of the coil:

C2 = 1 / (4*P2*Fq2*L2)

Primary winding inductance:
    As Fq the frequency at a quarter-wave, and C1 as the primary capacitor:
    L1 = 1 / (4P2*Fq2*C1)

REGARDS

ZILANO ZEIS ZANE

IN SENSE N SANE!
    Thank you, that is what i need.
    I belive i need a strong driver for flyback transformer not 2n3055 , like is in my attach filles.
    Last edited by nico; 08-31-2011, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Hi Nico!

u can still use ur flyback if u r using ferrite core. if u want aircore then go for NST. FIRST TRY WITH FERRITE CORE AND UR FLYBACK WITH ORDINARY HOME COPPER WIRE PVC COATED.

RGDS

ZZZ
      for ferrite core , the spark gap is in series with the primary and capacitor in paralel, the calculation will be the same?

Comment

• If using an NST do we have to remove the ground break thing (what's it called ?) that is a safety feature, and is this easy ?

I am looking at this NST :

Ever light Neon Power Supply 5kv 25ma

Thanks,

QV.

Comment

• Thanks Zilano.

For all you people spending a lot of time indoors with HF spark gaps, please read this :

"Exposure to an arc-producing device can pose health hazards. In a closed space such as a classroom or home, the continuous arc formation of an open-air Jacob's Ladder will ionize oxygen and nitrogen, which then re-form into reactive molecules such as ozone and nitric oxide. These free radicals can be damaging to the mucous membranes of people near the spark gap. Plants are also susceptible to ozone poisoning.

These hazards are not present when the arc is formed outdoors since the heated ionized gases will rise up into the air and dissipate into the atmosphere. Spark gaps which only intermittently produce short spark bursts are also minimally hazardous because the volume of ions generated is very small.

Arcs can also produce a broad spectrum of wavelengths spanning the visible light and the invisible ultraviolet and infrared spectrum. Very intense arcs generated by means such as arc welding can produce significant amounts of ultraviolet which is damaging to the retina of the observer. These arcs should only be observed through special dark filters which reduce the arc intensity and shield the observer's eyes from the ultraviolet rays."

Spark gap - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

QV.

Comment

• Just found this info about NST's :

"The power supply is a step up transformer used to charge the primary capacitor. You should choose a transformer that puts out at least 5kV, otherwise you may have problems with the spark gap not firing.

Neon sign transformers (NSTs) are the preferred power supplies. Recently manufactured NSTs include a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) also known as a GFI (ground fault interrupter) circuit that will "trip" or automatically shut off a NST when it detects an unusual current in the output of the NST. Unfortunately Tesla coils produce current spikes that frequently cause the GFCI circuit to shut off the NST, making NSTs with GFCI unreliable in a Tesla coil. NSTs with a GFCI circuit will usually have a GFCI reset button somewhere on the case or possibly under the top cover. It may be possible to rewire and bypass the GFCI circuit in the NST, although it may be a very difficult process depending on the complexity and location of the GFCI wiring. Newer, small NSTs are actually solid state power supplies that are unsuitable for Tesla coils. I strongly recommend using an older NST to power your Tesla coil. A good NST should be very heavy and only contain a primary winding, secondary winding and metal core. The output frequency should be the same as the input frequency (50 or 60 Hz)."

Tesla Coil Design, Construction and Operation Guide

QV.

Comment

• More about tuning tesla coils

Originally posted by zilano
              Hi folks!

for those who want to find out whether the coil is in resonance or not. either primary or secondary. here is cheap little circuit. it will light up to show coils is ringing or not!

pic attached

rgds

zzz
              Hi guys;I found this circuit used for tuning primary and secondary;I Don't know if works I did,t tried ...
              RMCybernetics - DIY Homemade Tesla Coil Tuner

Comment

• Ozone is only dangerous in large amounts. I have been using ozone for years to freshen the air in my house and to filter water. Nitric oxide on the other hand is a different story.

Comment

• Electrostatic Induction

I do not believe that any Don Smith Thread would be complete without an educational video. You know, the kind you fell asleep to in Science Class.

electrostatic induction - YouTube

Duane
                  Dude, you're curving my space-time.

Comment

• LOL deggers

Comment

• natural resonance

Originally posted by zilano
                      go through my posts and download handbook of electronic tables and go to page 38

zzz

Hi dllabarre, Hi Zilano too

I am pleased that we reached the same conclusion as in my previous post 6

Zilano work with natural frequency of wire. This is where we're all wrong with
                      NST 35khz frequency. already built my coil l1 in this way and I easily found the resonance. I am now building L2 coil .
                      my rule of thumb is that I try to understand before you do anything.
                      will keep you posted
                      Last edited by spark2; 09-01-2011, 01:33 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by drak View Post
                        Thanks

Any time there is a spark, its next to impossible to measure on a scope which is why it looked clean, there was no spark. Like another forum member said, It really messes with electronics when the spark happens. My LED lighting will dim and flicker in in that room when the spark is going. I have fried the controlling part of a power supply so I had to buy another. Not to mention my computer will reset sometimes. I have measured the distance of about 300 feet away from the coils with a scanner before the clicking went away. God knows what its doing to my brain, lol. I would do what zilano suggests and turn off electronic equipment when sparking.
                        Strange that your electronic equip is having problems around your spark gap. The Russians on their Youtube videos show their scopes working and other electronics working ok and taking measurements like yours without problems. Strange indeed.

CHeers Mike

Comment

Hi Mike!

this is not water. its linseed oil. it helps to supress streamers or blue voltage streaks! at high voltage!

regards

zzz
                          Thanks Zilano.

The Russian experimenters are getting over 2.5kw output! What do you think they need to do to get 5kw or 10kw?

Cheers Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by boguslaw View Post
                            That was somewhere in this thread afaik : Donald L. Smith

Sorry, it was a couple of weeks ago.

My theory is very simple (Well , that simplified version). If we accept that resonance is the key to efficient usage of the same energy MANY TIMES then of course in HV and high frequency parallel RCL circuit it could reach mega watts. The only problem is we have to SPIKE energy into it in precise moments to not disturb it. Thats why duration of spike has to be strictly related to frequency of RCL circuit.1/4 wavelength assuming we are spiking in magnetic field (we can do it otherwise in electric field also) is to ADD energy precisely to magnetic field of coil of this HV HF RCL . Meanwhile frequency of spikes has to be also correlated to the harmonic of that RCL and also match rersonant frequency (or higher harmonic) of primary RCL circuit - that's simply to minimize primary source load or to maximize voltage on primary winding (depending on capacitor and spark gap configuration).
                            Forced resonance is what we use today everywhere - matching resonant frequency , it means that RCL circuit is 1/2 of time working "with power source", while next 1/2 working "against power source" by Lenz law.
                            Strike a bell hanging freely on small rope, then strike again when holding tight in hand - and you will know the difference.
                            The same problem with have with load attached to the RCL circuit - it has to be via spark or other such device which let the excess energy ONLY be used for powering load while RCL is still oscillating.

But please remember that the best way to find theory is to experiment, got results (like zilano did) and then find theory. I wish I could have her skills ! Once I sit over my workbench I could only make an ugly not working crap which makes me horribly mad and sad...
                            Thanks for your theory. Yeah I found that post over at 001Labs from back on 3/21/11.

Yes, I agree, more experiments are needed. The Russian Don Smith experimenters are getting over 2.5kw and they are shooting for 5kw min.

Cheers Mike

Comment

• Has anyone here ever removed the GFI from a modern NST like this one :

Ever light Neon Power Supply 5kv 25ma

Comment

Hi Dllabarre!

that is wrong calculation
                                frequency will remain same. if u r using 1 feet of wire then frequency is 246 mhz its same for primary and secondary 4 feet also. and if u r using 10 feet of wire then freuency will be 24.6mhz same for primary 10 feet and secondary 20 feet of wire.

zzz
                                Hi Zilano

I do not understand
                                You speak of the natural frequency of the cable which is like a 123mhz dllabarre as the calculated or that of the nst ???
                                Last edited by spark2; 09-01-2011, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X