Tesla's Stout copper bars "Hairpin Circuit"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Argon

Argon is an inert gas like nitrogen, and is heavier than air. If you break open a few old lightbulbs above a funnel, should be able th fill a tube of some sort..
    Atoms move for free. It's all about resonance and phase. Make the circuit open and build a generator.

Comment

Well I think I've hit the wall.

I've tried using the spark gap from eBay and that works well I suppose, though perhaps the gap might be too wide. But that's not an issue I am facing - the HEAT is the problem.

If I run this spark gap tube for a short time it will get very hot, not to mention that I have to keep it covered as the light is very bright. Overal, the reaction appears pretty violent and that's the part I do not undestand.

The tube is rated at 20KV max (DC though, does that make a difference?) and the transformer is driving it with only 10KV AC, yet the whole process looks it's getting out of control and is more powerful than 10KV (or 20KV)?!?

Oh did I forget to mention the tubes are radioactive (5uC of Cs 137) - it ticks my Geiger counter nicely when it's brought right next to the tube, though no red lights go on so I guess it's ok as the range dissipates quickly.

I am contemplating other ways for gaps now: would a Tungsten electrode gap submerged in a Mineral oil work (for cooling and dielectric effects/quenching of sound), since I do not want to go the vacuum or Nitrogen route yet - it is costly and needs real fabrication and I'm not sure if it would resolve the issue.

Everyone's input is appreciated.
      Are the ravings of a lunatic signs of a genius?

Comment

Nice work Amigo

Did you use copper pipe for your hairpin? Or are they solid with hollow couplings at the top?

Regards
        "Once you've come to the conclusion that what what you know already is all you need to know, then you have a degree in disinterest." - John Dobson

Comment

Ideas

YouTube - Tesla Coil Vacuum Expiriments pt1

YouTube - 40kV ZVS fly-back driver

Not my videos.. But great food for thought..

Ps, above 20khz, the sound of a spark gap should be ultrasonic and thus silent..
          Atoms move for free. It's all about resonance and phase. Make the circuit open and build a generator.

Comment

Thanks ren !

I used copper pipes for plumbing from Home Depot. Actually it all turned out pretty nice as I did not have to bend backwards in fabrication process.

But as I stated above, I now have a problem with seemingly high energy going through the spark gap and/or the very loud air gap.

Comment

Inquorate,

That first video is pretty interesting, as in the idea to put things into vacuum. I always keep thinking about miniaturizing items and so a spark gap enclosure should be not much bigger than the actual spark gap, otherwise maintaining a high(er) vacuum is a problem in larger volumes containers.

As for the ultrasonic frequencies, nothing is ever silent it's just that we do not perceive it with our ears (but some animals do), while one can even hear microwaves audio when it is beamed into the head directly.

Comment

KARL,

Could you please let us know how did you measure OU effect on Hairpin?

I mean your setup for OU and to meaure OU..

Best Regards,
                NURI

Comment

That is beautiful.
                  Nothing like old things.
                  I was born in 1978 and I wish the world was like it was in late 1800's/early 1900's

David

Edit: The radiation is probably from the lettering. They used radioactive paint back then.
                  Originally posted by amigo View Post
                  Thanks Chet.

Actually, I just won two of these on eBay and I am hoping I could use them in this circuit, and elsewhere...

After that my next step would be Nitrogen quenched spark gaps, but I still need to invest into a Nitrogen tank, pressure gauges, piping, vacuum pump...sigh, maybe I find a Hydrogen spark gap tube somewhere instead.
                  Last edited by eternalightwithin; 08-07-2009, 11:55 PM.

Comment

The reason there is an OU effect in the hairpin is simple. We spend the energy to make the spark and could do work even in that circuit, But the OU effect is in the upper part of the hairpin. Above the Caps. This is not conventional energy and this energy is flowing into that part of the circuit. The energy is released in the load, that has to be a impedance load. The energy flows out of the bulb in this case...not into it, as the bulb breaks apart the non vector wave and makes electromagnet energy in the bulb. The same thing happens in a properly made tesla coil. I find the coil pumps the environment of energy. My coils have the energy flowing into the coil not out of the coil. You can reach out and touch the ark and you will see the ark is going from you to the coil not the coil to you. This ark is at least 10 inches long and it does not hurt to touch. A bulb will light in my hand with the coil running and no wires connected to the coil or ground 8 feet away. You can see the scaler field around the coil with the bulb. You can insulate the coil with very heavy plastic 1' thick and see the energy flow right through it not as an ark but as a energy stream going to the coil. Getting of track hear again...the point is that the hairpin pumps the environment for its energy, and we have to pay to open the door...there is no direct link as I see it to how much energy you get when you pay to open the door...but the harder you hit the environment the more you get back in an exponential terms. Tesla talks about been able to make the energy flows continue well after you turn off the pump and I see that also. He also states that when you get it flowing hard enough it will free flow and that is what he was trying to achieve in Colorado. We also may be able to get it to free flow in time but we are along way from that happening.

Originally posted by samedsoft View Post
                    KARL,

Could you please let us know how did you measure OU effect on Hairpin?

I mean your setup for OU and to meaure OU..

Best Regards,
                    NURI
                    Last edited by Karl_Palsness; 08-08-2009, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Hello Karl,

I sent you a message a few weeks ago via Youtube regarding the title of the book which details the construction process of the "special" tesla coil you showed at the AEPC conference along with the hairpin circuit. Did you manage to find the title of the book? I don't mean to pushy but there are probably other people besides myself interested in replicating this coil as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl_Palsness View Post
                        The same thing happens in a properly made tesla coil. I find the coil pumps the environment of energy. My coils have the energy flowing into the coil not out of the coil. You can reach out and touch the ark and you will see the ark is going from you to the coil not the coil to you.
                        Dear KARL,

Thanks for your great explanations on your findings.

Could you please explain the coil arrangement you mention above, do you mean hairpin circuit coupled to Tesla coil system?

Could you post a video which apparently shows OU nature on coil setup...

Tesla has weird loading on one-wire longitudinal electric vibration system as in: http://www.tesla.hu/tesla/articles/18930200/fig16.gif

Did you load coil similar to this?

Do you mean more Voltage potential by hitting harder?

Can you drive a motor or resistive heater with this current or whatever flow? Or is it only happening with lamps?

Do you think there is a way to convert this flow to real active power?

Also could you share your documents in this topic?

Love & Brothership,
                        Nuri Temurlenk TR

Comment

The transformer

Thanks ren for this link;

dualicpage

Probably also going to use an isolation transformer and have a cap in parallel on the 240v (in au) side; to absorb any spikes and hopefully protect the house wiring from the ignition coils.

My 'dimmer' I got from hardware store (thanks for the pointer ren) and it also has surge protection and heat responsive self resetting fuses..

any other protective measures I've missed?

Kinda poetic using an ignition coil for the hairpin circuit.

Love and light

Comment

@ Amigo, I was wondering if you had a chance to test a load out on your build yet?

I had an interesting discussion with a close friend the other day regarding the significance of the size of the thing. We were unsure as to the suitability of hollow copper pipe as our short. Of course, we could fill the pipe with lead or steel or such, but exactly what for? Is the significance of the "stout copper bars" mass related or is it more to do with a super low resistance/inductance?

Any thoughts Karl on why the bars are so tall, and whether or not they are solid to have the greatest mass possible?

Im nearly ready to fire it up, I am going to try an alternative option to power it, but Id like to hear back from Amigo, as my build is similar to his at the moment, it would be good to be able to compare between his notes and mine, since we both have hollow copper pipe ATM but our power sources will be different.

Regards
                            Last edited by ren; 12-03-2009, 10:42 PM.
                            "Once you've come to the conclusion that what what you know already is all you need to know, then you have a degree in disinterest." - John Dobson

Comment

I'm wondering if it's possible to scale down this circuit to let's say 2-3kV range
                              That would attract a lot of EE to replicate it and confirm all effects. I would love to breadboard it or at least use more commonly available parts.
                              Just an idea, but a circuit of size of DrStiffler SEC would be wonderful if possible

Comment

Tesla's original lecture

Originally posted by phi1.62 View Post
                                Hello Karl,

I sent you a message a few weeks ago via Youtube regarding the title of the book which details the construction process of the "special" tesla coil you showed at the AEPC conference along with the hairpin circuit. Did you manage to find the title of the book? I don't mean to pushy but there are probably other people besides myself interested in replicating this coil as well.
                                Hello,
                                I think Karl must have read part of the Tesla lecture "On Light And Other High Frequency Phenomena". I have an amazing xeroxed copy of the original published lecture that was given to me by the Tesla Memorial Society. (I am grateful for this, because it was a very fragile task to perform safely to the 1893 book without damaging it). The original published book was the personal copy of Nikola Trbojevich, Tesla's Nephew and inventor of the hypoid gear. I think everyone will enjoy such a fascinating lecture:

The Turn Of The Century Electrotherapy Museum - Tesla Archive - On Light And Other High Frequency Phenomenon (c/o William Terbo, The Tesla Memorial Society: This book was originally the property of Tesla's Nephew, Nikola Trbojevich)

If you see some sentences underlined, or pencil markings on the pages, they were made by Tesla's nephew!

This lecture was also published in the wonderful work of Thomas Commerford Martin - The Inventions, Researches, and Writings Of Nikola Tesla (1894). This book was a master volume of original Tesla lectures, and can be found for free on Google Books.

Jeff Behary

Comment

Working...
                                X