Self-Running Ambient Heat Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

equalizer

Hi everybody. I'm happy to see this discussion continuing.

Dave: a self-fueling air engine IS a heat pump. A commercial heat pump expands compressed freon in a valve, wasting all the pressure, to produce cold which will then suck in free heat that can be used to heat a house since it adds to the compression heat from compressing the freon. The heat exchange goes through the walls of heat exchangers.

A self-filling air tank is air-to-air so no freon is involved. The production of cold is not necessary since you put the atmosphere directly into the tank (without the normal external work of a conventional compressor) and all its heat is then added to the energy already in the tank. Also the heat exchangers are thus done away with. And instead of wasting the pressure to make a cold sink to absorb heat, you can use the pressure to run an air engine. And since the air coming in ends up being compressed by mixing with what's already in the tank, the air engine can run the whole system--as long as the COP is over 1, preferable a lot more than 1 since there will be overload or off-design situations to make up for.

Randy: keep up the good work. I think you need precision to make that Tesla reciprocating motor work. It functions because there is a cushion of air all the way around it instead of piston rings, so anything off center or out of round will cause it to fail. It's a simple machine, why don't you save your money and while you're doing that, make the rounds of the machine shops in your area till you find one that wants to help you?

For example, I once spent 6 months designing a Tesla turbine, then I tried to build it myself. Everything was out of round and had to be done over by a machinist. Funny thing was, the machine shop owner was Yugoslavian and knew Tesla as a national hero, not as we do in the US, a half-forgotten eccentric mistreated by history. So the damage was lessened by discounted rates but it still cost me $3000 to get a turbine I could test. Another town, another design, I found a machine shop owned by a guy named Larry and he personally saw to it that my designs were built well, simply, and he enjoyed helping me. If you go to the wrong machine shop you won't get what you need. I like it when the owner comes out and takes an intersest and helps me figure out if something needs to be improved.

Well I do go on now don't I. Is there a pill I can take that will force me to summarize?

The word for the low pressure into high pressure valve is EQUALIZER. I think you should forget injectors, they use brute force to get a mixing going on. No a boiler injector doesn't work with air, it works because of condensation of the steam drive jet which creates an intense suction. Air injectors (called "thermal compressors" if raising air to a higher pressure as opposed to evacuating a space) don't have the drive that steam has.

Think instead in terms of compressing air with air, inside the tank. Think about the two check valves in a tank (equalizer) and think about Bill Truitt's statement that his secret leakproof valve "worked like a heart". Now keeping it as simple as possible (instead of as ingenious as possible), make those two check valves into a PRESSURE EXCHANGER. A simple device that uses a high pressure fluid to raise the pressure of a low pressure fluid with the result a medium pressure fluid.

A double check valve with added heat between the valves is ALL you need to pump water. What's wrong with air? It is compressible, it changes shape. We need to be craftier to get it to do what has been done with steam and water for hundreds of years (see Savery's engine, back of my new book).

Now imagining those two check valves inside an air tank, make the second check valve movable. The heart is just MOVABLE check valves. If the second check valve is really a rodless piston with a check valve in it, the sky opens up and ideas flow.

I know, you don't lack ideas. But compressing air with air, and doing it inside the tanks, seems to be the way to go.

Luther

Comment

About Bob Neal's patent

Luther,

I'd like to address your last post, but I need to begin at the beginning
      where there are voids in my understanding.

Neal's patent shows a water jacket as one would expect to see since
      his air engine began as a gasoline engine converted to run on air, was it not?
      Were the water jackets used?
      Was there a radiator in use or was the water circulation around the engine
      without a radiator to even out the engine temperatures?

I am very curious if Neal's engine had to vent excess heat?
      I'm aware the tank had a pressure release valve.

I read Neal's engine had a heater, in either the patent or else where, but I do not remember where.
      Does anyone know where in the system Neal's heater was located?

Thank you
      Randy
      Remember to be kind to your mind ...
      Tesla quoting Buddha: "Ignorance is the greatest evil in the world."

Comment

@ Lutherman

Hi to met you here again!
        I have read your latest design concept (page 269 - 277). I think I have not understood everythink (how the valvets works in detail) but I think i have understood the main idea. Thats enough for me at this time. For me it sounds very clever and seems to be not very complicated.
        I can't say if it works but it sounds very promising.

The next step would be do some maths. You say that your idea could bring an overunity effect. That would be a goal for us all.
        My question is: in which relation is (in working mode) the amount of ambient air in opposite the air of the external high compressed tank. I think that this relation is the key of your concept.

Thanks for sharing your idea.
        Alana

Comment

Bob Neal's compression unit

Randy,

You ask good questions.

Bob Neal made his own engine from scratch. It didn't have a radiator so the purpose of the water jacket would be to heat the engine cylinders I assume, but he also shows a fan so maybe no real effort is being made to conserve compression heat. Since the compressor is only working against a little pressure it shouldn't need much cooling.

The electric heater was located just before the air entered the engine cylinders. I envision it moved upstream a bit--into the tank.

But one of my correspondents wants to know why I assume the patent is incomplete. Maybe it isn't. Neal has an unusual compressor, not just a valve in a tank. Maybe dividing the normal compressor's work of two strokes per crank cycle into 14 or even 28 compression strokes per cycle is why the equalizer worked. If so, I would like to change his priorities because it should be a lot cheaper to build a valve in a tank that is kind of special, than it would be to build a 14-cylinder compressor so any old check valve in a tank will work. But maybe he was literally hammering the air into the tank. In the case of water hammer and such, which also happens in air pipes, at certain spots (?in front of a check valve?) heat should build up. If trapped by a second check valve, then maybe it would consitute a heat-powered pumping system. Like the water pump that uses only two check valves with heat applied.

Peter is the one who pointed out to me that the engine probably ran on constant pressure. I can't tell by the drawing but a good steam engine person could tell, assuming the slide valve is drawn accurately. I agree though, that an air engine running a compressor has to have a smooth steady push or else a big heavy flywheel. Neal's flywheel is very small.

I have gotten less interested in efficient air engines because of what Peter pointed out to me. Think of it this way. Using a normal compressor to make the air and then trying to get good results by using the air efficiently is like trying to save money by paying your bills late. You really have to compress the air in a new way and that's what the patent is about.

The patent office file is interesting. It was hard to get as it was "lost" but someone else finally got it and sent me a copy. Neal had originally called his patent "Engines" but they made him change the title to "Compression Unit". They rejected the patent three times for technicalities and minor corrections but mainly because the equalizer "shows no function". He took the engine to the patent office and the only clue they give of why that changed their mind is that they hadn't originally realized that there was an outside energy source. It isn't shown in the drawing and they don't say what it is, but it is mentioned in the last paragraph of the patent before the final claims. "Outside pressure source can be coupled with the tank to augment that pressure derived from the compressor cylinders," if I remember right.

Compare it with the statements made by Bill Truitt and George Heaton and it starts coming together. Both these guys used three pressure levels. Neal barely mentions it but it is there. A high pressure storage is needed anyway but the clue is that Truitt never let his high pressure storage go below 1000 psi or 1200 psi in hilly driving. That implies that the hp air is a driving force, maybe in the "secret leakproof valve that works like a heart" that is Truitt's critical component. But he also said that "the compressor is the heart of the system". He was 83 and I think he was disgruntled that he'd given it to the govt and they broke their promise and never developed it. I think he wanted to tell me his secret and might have dropped some hints that I'm only now picking up on.

Well I hope some of you are enjoying my new book. Let me know if you like or don't like the jokes, I don't know why I put jokes in a technical book except to entertain myself, now someone has to tell me to take them out.

Luther

Comment

very interesting engine

I like and am interested in liquid pistons.
            Compression is on topic.
            Reciprocating is also on topic.
            An image is worth a 1000 words, so ...

Adolf Vogt Internal Combustion Motor 781,923 Patented February 7, 1905
            Filed in Nov 4, 1901 (Scroll upwards to view images)
            Using a liquid pistons which transfer motion to a reciprocating piston and using multiple stage compression of air and fuel.

This is a very interesting engine.

I'm still looking at this patent.

Randy

Comment

Hi Scott and Peter!

I'm very excited that air motors has made a come back on the site!!

Very nice book Scott! I read your old edition, but need to read it a few more times it has a lot, and look forward to reading this one too.

The idea I have been playing with and would like some feedback. Is that Neal was not a mechanical engineer ( though a cleaver man) from what I can remember so his solution to the problem is probably simple.

I think he may have used 3 screw type compressors maybe similar one of these

MAX KRAUT - Google Patents

SUPERCHARGER - Google Patents

Liquid and air pump B - Google Patents

Neal's tank pictured two spirals where the valves are and one more spiral from the tank to the engine.look at 3rd page bottom picture
              The only thing missing to connect all three compressors is one long
              central shaft from the motor. Maybe all they did was erase the drive shaft
              from the motor going thru the tank to the valves

A different idea connected to the idea of a screw compressor, I was thinking is, what if in Tesla's turbine the spacers had holes that matched the holes of the bigger disks. One would have three "pipes"( made by pressing all the disks tightly together) Now twist the "pipes" ( the holes in the disks) One would have a screw compressor similar to the above screw compressors only in reverse, if the holes gradually got smaller. So instead of putting the pressure on the outside walls( as above) it would be putting pressure into the center of the swirling air-- like little "tornadoes." Does that make sense?
              Last edited by sykavy; 02-11-2009, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Hi guys
                I think that this video will be interesting to you:
                YouTube - HHO Compressor 001

It shows how you can use a HHO explosion to get compressed air
                Thanks,
                Jetijs
                It's better to wear off by working than to rust by doing nothing.

Comment

Hi everybody,

you must see Luthermans new design:
                  Equalizer in Air Tank Works Like a Heart!!!

Alana

Comment

Luther, You're a Genius!

Originally posted by Alana View Post
                    Hi everybody,

you must see Luthermans new design:
                    Equalizer in Air Tank Works Like a Heart!!!

Alana
                    Alana,

Thanks for posting this to the thread.

Luther,

WOW, you've done it. You have solved the most important puzzle in the harnessing of Solar Energy in history! I know how long you have been working on this and thinking about this. It looks like all the hard work was worth it, after all.

Congratulations!

I can't tell you how happy I am about your success.

The energy crisis is over now. I guess I can retire.

Peter
                    Peter Lindemann, D.Sc.

Open System Thermodynamics Perpetual Motion Reality Electric Motor Secrets
                    Battery Secrets Magnet Secrets Tesla's Radiant Energy Real Rain Making
                    Bedini SG: The Complete Handbook Series Magnetic Energy Secrets

Comment

@ Peter Lindemann,

WOW, it seems that the energy crisis is finished very soon for you.

Alana

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lindemann View Post
                        Alana,

Thanks for posting this to the thread.

Luther,

WOW, you've done it. You have solved the most important puzzle in the harnessing of Solar Energy in history! I know how long you have been working on this and thinking about this. It looks like all the hard work was worth it, after all.

Congratulations!

I can't tell you how happy I am about your success.

The energy crisis is over now. I guess I can retire.

Peter
                        This last line confused me:"The energy crisis is over now. I guess I can retire. "
                        Sorry Peter but I not sure I understand. Are you being sarcastic about his design?

Comment

Not Sarcastic about the Design

Originally posted by sykavy View Post
                          This last line confused me:"The energy crisis is over now. I guess I can retire. "
                          Sorry Peter but I not sure I understand. Are you being sarcastic about his design?
                          sykavy,

Lutherman (Scott) and I spent many hours on the phone, about 3 years ago, discussing the solution to Neal's systems. So he and I have a history of doing some "deep thought" sessions on this. During that period, we didn't come up with anything. After reading his last posting on this, I feel very positive that he has "cracked" the basic understanding of the system, even though the specific design may still need refinement.

Having worked in the field of advanced alternative energy research for 36 years, I am tired of it, and would love to retire in Polynesia and sip coconut milk from fresh coconuts and lie on the beach. Unfortunately, that retirement plan is still a little beyond my pay-grade, hence the ( ).

Does this help clear things up for you?

Peter
                          Peter Lindemann, D.Sc.

Open System Thermodynamics Perpetual Motion Reality Electric Motor Secrets
                          Battery Secrets Magnet Secrets Tesla's Radiant Energy Real Rain Making
                          Bedini SG: The Complete Handbook Series Magnetic Energy Secrets

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Lindemann View Post
                            sykavy,

Lutherman (Scott) and I spent many hours on the phone, about 3 years ago, discussing the solution to Neal's systems. So he and I have a history of doing some "deep thought" sessions on this. During that period, we didn't come up with anything. After reading his last posting on this, I feel very positive that he has "cracked" the basic understanding of the system, even though the specific design may still need refinement.

Having worked in the field of advanced alternative energy research for 36 years, I am tired of it, and would love to retire in Polynesia and sip coconut milk from fresh coconuts and lie on the beach. Unfortunately, that retirement plan is still a little beyond my pay-grade, hence the ( ).

Does this help clear things up for you?

Peter
                            Ok sorry.
                            Yeah he is some thinker. I'm reading his new book too. I feel that compressed air has a future. I hope I live to see it.

I wish I had the talent and time to devote to experiments. You and Scott with your knowlege and experience are light years a head of me. I need to study more and build something. It is just now in my life it just isn't possible. But at least I spread the word about his technology and your Lindemann motor. I have met a few people scientist and engineers who have been interested. The more people are aware of this stuff the better for everyone thank you and Scott for your generosity and sharing your knowledge with us! It is inspirational.

Comment

An Air Engine, not Ambient Heat Engine

Extreme brute force air engine, "mach-one force airflow"
                              Directory:Magnetic Air Car, Inc. - PESWiki.

Of interest also is the silicon salt battery having 30% more mass power than a lead acid storage battery.
                              I found little information about this battery unrelated to the Air Car above.
                              Celtic Trade Group, Ltd. - A Vast Wealth of Experience in Green Building Construction and Consulting
                              Jiangmen Yu Yang Special Battery Co., Ltd. Sales - Tonke B2B

Comment

E.G. Oparin. Physics fundamentals of no-fuel energy. Limitation of the law of
                                energy degradation. “Editorial URSS”, M. 2003. – 136 p.

Yu.I. Volodko. A streamline motion of compressed air to the atmosphere and
                                a no-fuel mono-thermal engine. M., “Obschestvennaya polsa”, 1998. – 64 p.

Comment

Working...
                                X