301 Stainless Plates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 301 Stainless Plates?

I read that 316/316L is the preferred stainless. 304 is also widely used but may create more gunk and need replacement sooner.

I have large quantities of 301 stainless available to me in all kinds of thicknesses. Anyone have experience with 301 SS in KOH solution electrolyzers? 301 is often used in aviation as a substitute for 316 SS.

Originally posted by TuxAir View Post
    I read that 316/316L is the preferred stainless. 304 is also widely used but may create more gunk and need replacement sooner.

I have large quantities of 301 stainless available to me in all kinds of thicknesses. Anyone have experience with 301 SS in KOH solution electrolyzers? 301 is often used in aviation as a substitute for 316 SS.
    Sure 301 should work (I use 304 not 301 oops, but they are real close to the same material).... I use it all the time. That is the type of shim stock I use for cutting out disc's for the Archie Blue's....After it's conditioned, no gunk, and it holds up to the KOH Very Well.

Last edited by Redmeanie; 05-14-2008, 05:45 PM.
    RedMeanie
    (psst...Don't Tell Anyone, But I'm Really Not Mean!)

Comment

Here goes some info on 301....Not really that informative, but it gives you some numbers!
      http://www.aksteel.com/pdf/markets_p...Data_Sheet.pdf

It says that it is a variant of 302, 304 so its not perfect for this, but it's free!

So use it and let us know how it holds up!
      RedMeanie

Comment

I just built my first HHO fuel cell converter.
        I am in the metal industry and I built mine with 316 ST/ST. (3mm-1/8 thick.)

The problem with mine is, I made it too big I think. Maybe someone can advise me.
        I made my plates about 145mm top width by about 110 high and 115 bottom width. I made a bank of 26 plates and connected by 1/8 welding rod for the anode and cathode connections. Spaced 3mm with nylon packers.

I connected the unit to my van battery directly with 17amp wire for the pos and neg.
        I know I had not made enough room for the fluid as it very quickly bubbled up the gas pipe. I read here earlier I needed to allow 2-21/2 inches and I had a half inch.

Is my unit too big for use in my diesel powered van?
        I assume I need to make a smaller version.

Also, how do I calculate the load on the battery.
        I reckon I was drawing at least 60 amps.

I think I can solve the current overheat problem on the cell by using a bar wider than the 1/8th rod.

I am in the process of making up the Power Products version using a square wave unit and torroid coil. I have an electronics friend building the necessary electrical parts for me.
        But I decided to play with this simpler version for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Chevronb19 View Post
          I just built my first HHO fuel cell converter.
          I am in the metal industry and I built mine with 316 ST/ST. (3mm-1/8 thick.)

The problem with mine is, I made it too big I think. Maybe someone can advise me.
          I made my plates about 145mm top width by about 110 high and 115 bottom width. I made a bank of 26 plates and connected by 1/8 welding rod for the anode and cathode connections. Spaced 3mm with nylon packers.

I connected the unit to my van battery directly with 17amp wire for the pos and neg.
          I know I had not made enough room for the fluid as it very quickly bubbled up the gas pipe. I read here earlier I needed to allow 2-21/2 inches and I had a half inch.

Is my unit too big for use in my diesel powered van?
          I assume I need to make a smaller version.

Also, how do I calculate the load on the battery.
          I reckon I was drawing at least 60 amps.

I think I can solve the current overheat problem on the cell by using a bar wider than the 1/8th rod.

I am in the process of making up the Power Products version using a square wave unit and torroid coil. I have an electronics friend building the necessary electrical parts for me.
          But I decided to play with this simpler version for now.
          A General Rule is to target .25 Amp per square inch of plate area.

Also The Electrolyte Catalyst Mixture is what determines Current Draw.

Use KOH as your Catalyst for your Electrolyte.

Pre Heat your Distilled water to about 130F. Put this in the cell and add the KOH "A Little at a Time" it does not take much.

The Amperage will rise, stop when you hit your desired target Amperage. Should be 20 Max.

RedMeanie

Comment

Here's pics of the HHO cell I made....

Comment

Originally posted by Redmeanie View Post
              A General Rule is to target .25 Amp per square inch of plate area.

Also The Electrolyte Catalyst Mixture is what determines Current Draw.

Use KOH as your Catalyst for your Electrolyte.

Pre Heat your Distilled water to about 130F. Put this in the cell and add the KOH "A Little at a Time" it does not take much.

The Amperage will rise, stop when you hit your desired target Amperage. Should be 20 Max.

Ah, I used bicarb soda.(Two teaspoonsful)
              KOH is? Got it-sodium Hydroxide.(Dear old Google!)
              Info I have found is that POTASSIUM Hydroxide is better for conductivity?
              I did pre heat but only a little.
              Do you think the unit is too big?
              I would actually prefer it smaller and rebuilding another is no problem.
              Your advice on amperage draw is very welcome thanks.

I don't want to discharge all the energy from my battery.
              Last edited by Chevronb19; 07-15-2008, 03:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chevronb19 View Post
                Ah, I used bicarb soda.(Two teaspoonsful)
                KOH is? Got it-Potassium Hydroxide.(Dear old Google!)
                Info I have found is that POTASSIUM Hydroxide is better for conductivity?
                I did pre heat but only a little.
                Do you think the unit is too big?
                I would actually prefer it smaller and rebuilding another is no problem.
                Your advice on amperage draw is very welcome thanks.

I don't want to discharge all the energy from my battery.
                Yes the unit can be downsized, just use the formula and get a ball park figure. Its not exact but you should target somewhere in that range.Also when figuring plate area calculate both + and - and divide by two.

Your current draw is adjusted using your electrolyte solution, not the size of the cell.

Keep your target in the 20 Amp range and there should be no noticable changes to your electrical system.

RedMeanie

Comment

Hi Chevron;

Good looking cell. Red M. has already given you some good info. I would add that 1/16" plates are plenty thick, that would save a little space if you build another one. Also, if those are regular mild steel welding rods you should replace them with s.s.(all-thread maybe). Another way you could down-size and use your current cell is divide it into 2 cells and connect them together.
                  Have fun experimenting!

Al.
                  Antiquer

Comment

Working...
                  X