"Booster" Components Explained

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Booster" Components Explained

Due to many people asking, here is a little over view of the Key Electronics Components of a "Booster" Cell.

Pulse Width Modifier (PWM) This electronic device is basically a DC motor controller. It takes a Direct Current (DC) Voltage and Pulse's it at a steady preset rate. The Frequency and Pulse Width is adjusted by the Variable (Adjustable) Resistor and the Capacitors used in the Circuit.

* This is used in a "Booster" to control current from "Running Away" which is common in a "Brute Force" Direct Current cell. This is caused by your Electrolyte heating and therefore allowing more current to flow through your cell. Another benefit I have found to to PWM is that durring the very short off pulses the hold of the gases attatched to the plates is momentarily released giving a moment for them to slip away. This in turn can increase overall output. Also some feel that being able to "Tune" their HHO cell to a resonant Frequency increases output.

EFIE or Simply "Fuel Mixture Control" This is probably the MOST Important component in a "Booster" Application. Without it, your ECU will see to much O2 in the exhaust because of the cleaner and more complete burn due to the HHO and Dump Fuel into the engine in an attempt to Richen the Burn. This device takes the Original O2 Signal and adds Very Small additional voltage to the incoming signal and piggy backing it to the ECU. This makes the ECU think it is Running rich so it leans the mixture accordingly. It also will allow you to keep the original signal level without Leaning out the Mixture. This could be used as a setting for "Performance". You will basically be running stock fossil fuel levels with a Boost of performance from the HHO. Think about a Hilly or Mountainous area or pulling a trailer. You can preset with a Rotary style switch a few settings like this, City, Highway, Performance (Lean, Leaner, Not Lean stock) that way you dont risk engine damage by running too lean a mix in a situation when you actually need more fossil fuels.

*This is a Requirement for ANY Fuel Injected Vehicle! One device is needed for each PRE_CAT O2 sensor. V-Style engines usually have (2) and MOST 4cyl have (1)

I will be adding more as people request, or going into more detail if required.

RedMeanie
    (psst...Don't Tell Anyone, But I'm Really Not Mean!)

Not All EFIE's are the Same...

This is a discussion that has come up a few times, so I will go over this really quickly....

Aren't All EFIE's the Same? NO, they all do the same thing, but they don't do it the same, and some are more efficient than others. It is important to look at the components used in the Circuit. The ones running the 555 timer or a coil are NOT very good at all. These take the O2 sensor signal, intercepts it, then sends out 1 set voltage. This is not a good thing for one simple reason, Engine Load. As engine load changes so do its A/F Ratio requirements.
    The best type use a Bar Graph Display Driver LM3914. This is the same IC that runs the LED's on your stereo volume level indicators. How this IC operates is it takes an incoming signal and modifies it slightly to a set level for the whole range. So if you set it for a .1 increase it will take that incoming voltage and add just .1 to the signal and resend it out. As you can see it is perfect for a Fluctuating O2 sensor signal.

So when looking into what Effie to buy look closely. If there is more than one IC it probably is running dual 555's look for (1) 18 pin IC that is the ones that use the 3914.

RedMeanie

Comment

Hi Lee

Please do man, its perfect for your write up i am doing for all. We can also take the circuits we got form you and put them on a Dyno and professional computer analyzer, this will happen in June, this will make your disclosures verified tested and AWESOME

Comment

Thanks

Lee,

I for one didn't know what the PWM was. Thanks for the explanation. You are such a valuable resource to the forum!

Comment

Originally posted by Focus747 View Post
          Lee,

I for one didn't know what the PWM was. Thanks for the explanation. You are such a valuable resource to the forum!
          No Problem, Thats what we are Here For!

RedMeanie

Comment

Indeed, I even just PM'd you asking what a PWM was, haha. Did you get my inquiry about the chips? I assume I missed the window, yeah? Unless mayhap you have an extra from the batch you ordered yesterday

Comment

Lee rest assured that the write up i am doling for all with this infoz on the panacea university site will enable many others to do this, your fingers will enable others to cut emissions, this is a great public service i know when the non profit organization gets any where with grants that ill remember your contributions. Well done man, together with this infoz and right presentation we will be making a difference, i am glad we are not MIBS

The write up is looking pretty good so far, wil show you for a final judgment when you get time later,s thanks to this forums Altruistic efforts, Also we are going to test Lee's circuits on a dyno and CPU analyzer on a ford falcon for all and put it in the write up for all.

Ash
              Last edited by ashtweth; 05-15-2008, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Great info and clear descriptions.

Some early to mid '90s fuel injected cars, such as the mitsubishi verada 3.0L V6 and the Mazda 626 2.0L 4 Cyl, do not require and EFIE to be installed. Infact a drop in fuel mileage occurred with an EFIE unit in use. So I think one should always trial the HHO booster without an EFIE first to check if it is needed. Or just switch it off to do a comparison.

Cheers,

Steve.
                You can view my vids here

http://www.youtube.com/SJohnM81

Comment

Working...
                X