Converting VW's to Electric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting VW's to Electric

I've been wanting to post this question for a while but felt somewhat intimidated thinking I might not be up to recieving the kind of full-bodied information available from this forum. ENERGY is the most prolific discussion group here. I check in periodically, am SO grateful the discussion is happening (you all are incredible!), then I slip away. I'm already enthralled climbing other steep learning curves to try and tackle this one!, er... ten, ..

So - the question.
    We have two VW's - a 65 bug and a 76 bus. Could these be easily converted to electric or would they perhaps be prime candidates for some other kind of conversion? Is it possible for the novice to do? ARe there folks (Washington/Oregon) in the business of doing this or teaching it?

Thank you!

Bobi

Originally posted by Bobi View Post
    I've been wanting to post this question for a while but felt somewhat intimidated thinking I might not be up to recieving the kind of full-bodied information available from this forum. ENERGY is the most prolific discussion group here. I check in periodically, am SO grateful the discussion is happening (you all are incredible!), then I slip away. I'm already enthralled climbing other steep learning curves to try and tackle this one!, er... ten, ..

So - the question.
    We have two VW's - a 65 bug and a 76 bus. Could these be easily converted to electric or would they perhaps be prime candidates for some other kind of conversion? Is it possible for the novice to do? ARe there folks (Washington/Oregon) in the business of doing this or teaching it?

Thank you!

Bobi
    Bobi,
    You have an awesome opportunity to do allot with those. VW's are notoriously used for these types of projects. As a matter of fact about 15yrs ago my brother in law converted a VW to electric just for fun using a old forklift he had at his salvage yard.....It wasn't very practical, but if you tried it today with a newer style "Hybrid" type forklift as a donor I believe it would be interesting. Perhaps Peter may have some input on a better type of electric motor to use, That is out of my expertise, but if you have any questions on gas vehicles Ill be glad to help out!
    RedMeanie
    (psst...Don't Tell Anyone, But I'm Really Not Mean!)

Comment

Originally posted by Bobi View Post

So - the question.

Thank you!

Bobi
      I don't know how easy it would be to make them electric. Are you just looking to save money driving your car or do you want to just learn how to make an electric car?
      I suggest 3 alternatives if you just want to save money and you have garage skills:

1. an idea by Peter Lindemann on replacing the car motor and adding a snow-mobil torque converter here is the link with details:

Free Energy Update, April 7, 2007 from the Free Energy Website - Edwin Gray, Nikola Tesla, and Dr Peter Lindemann
      PS: scroll down to heading: Want A 100 MPG Car?

2. Make a hydrolic transmission: Vincent Carman: Inertial Storage Transmission

THIS CAR TRAVELS 75 MILES ON A SINGLE GALLON OF GASOLINE!

http://www.hydraulicinnovations.com/index.htm

3. This is the most challeging. Make an air car:
      Pneumatic Options Research Library: Home Page
      PS I think making a car that runs on air or even an air-hybrid would be easier than making an electric car. You could turn the motor over with compressed air and save gas. UCLA has done a study of it and Air isn't as heavy as batteries and not dangerous either, if you have a fire:
      Air Hybrid Vehicle Study at UCLA Engineering School
      Good luck

Comment

EV Kits and components

Interesting EV site: Canadian Electric Vehicles Kits and Components

The motor page in particular: Motors

Duane
        Dude, you're curving my space-time.

Comment

Thank you!

Thanks for all the wonderful information, encouragement and advice.

There's no way I will be doing any of this myself. I have a desire to promote and use alternatives and have a few vehicles that might serve that purpose but actually getting my hands into it - just not in my inclination. My nephew, however, is WAY ready to get going on some conversions so I'm sending all this info his way. I'll be his flunky, pass wrenches, fetch bandaids.

Thank you again!

Bobi

Comment

And thank you all again you have influenced me to put an electric vehicle compilation document together for all on the panacea university site.

Thanks for more work dam you all

Just my always useless 2 cents, i know of a few French man who have converted their VW with a GEET. Details are on the panacea university in the GEET document Ps, i just had this translated from our panacea France division.

Ash
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X