Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bali Negotiations Update

Dear Friends,

Wow - on Saturday, in desperate last-minute negotiations, the world faced down an effort by the US, Canada and Japan to wreck the crucial Bali Climate Change Summit. Over 600,000 Avaaz members mobilized to save the Bali talks, including 320,000 in the final 72 hours! Click below to read the whole story with photos and videos:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/bali_report_back/7.php

Arriving in Bali, most countries wanted to work towards a new global treaty on climate change as well as new targets for carbon emissions by rich countries. But late last week, the US and Canada teamed up to undermine the talks -- the US blocked the whole Bali summit consensus, and when a smaller group of Kyoto treaty countries tried to move ahead without the US, they were blocked by Canada. The summit was in danger of deadlock.

The Avaaz community flew into action, signing and spreading petitions to each of the governments, supporting ad campaigns in Bali and Canada, marches around the world, and phoning and lobbying elected officials. At the summit, Avaaz members brought the storm of public criticism inside the conference walls with the only march allowed inside the venue, the largest climate petition delivery in history, daily press conferences and "fossil awards" for the worst countries in the negotiations, and constant lobbying of officials.

In the final hours of the summit, Canada backed down completely and allowed Kyoto countries to agree to strong 2020 targets on carbon emissions, and the US team, now entirely isolated and actually booed by the world's diplomats, compromised and agreed to call for "deep cuts" and "reference" the 2020 targets. This paved the way for the summit to agree to sign a new global climate change treaty by 2009.

Usually these conferences are stuffy diplomatic affairs - but this time the world was watching, and speaking, each day. Together, we brought people-powered politics to the halls of power, and put our governments on notice: in the fight to save our environment, we will not be spectators. Click below to see a report on this campaign with videos and pictures:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/bali_report_back/7.php

This is just the beginning. Every nation of the world has now agreed that they will enter into accelerated negotiations and, by 2009, sign a new treaty to confront global warming. We need this treaty to set binding global targets for carbon emissions, and a mechanism for meeting them, that keep the earth's temperature from rising more than 2 degrees celsius - the amount that scientists say would be 'catastrophic'. Such a treaty will change the world's economy forever, weaning us off oil and fossil fuels to cleaner sources of energy. Some leaders, in the pocket of the oil industry, will fight it tooth and nail all the way. And we will too. A great struggle to save our environment has begun, and this weekend, we showed together that the people of the world aren't intending to sit this one out.

With much respect and appreciation for this amazing community of people,

Ricken, Ben, Milena, Paul, Iain, Sarah, Galit, Pascal and the whole Avaaz Team.

ABOUT AVAAZ
    Avaaz.org is an independent, not-for-profit global campaigning organization that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people inform global decision-making. (Avaaz means "voice" in many languages.) Avaaz receives no money from governments or corporations, and is staffed by a global team based in London, Rio de Janeiro, New York, Paris, Washington DC, and Geneva.
    Keep your mind on the aether www.PathsToSucceed.com

great article made me tear up a bit

Comment

Yeah, I really liked these lines :

"in the fight to save our environment, we will not be spectators." and

"the people of the world aren't intending to sit this one out."

Comment

Global Warming is a MYTH - what happen to the repeating ICE AGE(s).

Petroleum is NOT Fossil Fuel. Don't become another PARROT.

The first tactic in getting what you want is to Scare the masses then TAX them to resolve the FAKE crisis.

The new BUZZ WORD is Carbon Emissions, which is HOW you TAX every LOOP HOLE .. Congrats.

Wakeup the FOX is in the HEN HOUSE.

The Energy Non-Crisis by Lindsey Williams

After numerous public speaking engagements in the western states, certain government officials and concerned individuals urged Mr. Williams to put into print what he saw and heard, stating that they felt this information was vital to national security. Mr. Williams firmly believes that whoever controls energy controls the economy. Thus, The Energy Non-Crisis.

YouTube - Lindsey Williams - The Energy Non-Crisis - Part 1 of 8

YouTube - Lindsey Williams - The Energy Non-Crisis - Part 2 of 8

YouTube - Lindsey Williams - The Energy Non-Crisis - Part 3 of 8

YouTube - Lindsey Williams - The Energy Non-Crisis - Part 4 of 8

YouTube - Lindsey Williams - The Energy Non-Crisis - Part 5 of 8

YouTube - Lindsey Williams - The Energy Non-Crisis - Part 6 of 8

YouTube - Lindsey Williams - The Energy Non-Crisis - Part 7 of 8

YouTube - Lindsey Williams - The Energy Non-Crisis - Part 8 of 8

- Schpankme

Comment

you have a point but less Emissions = better fuel efficiency = less fuel used =save money they add taxes we pay th same for fuel they make the same on tax because we buy less fuel but then we start devolping wfc then we wont buy gas and then there screwed and if global warming is real and we ignore it then we are dumb for thinking its a conspiracy the folloing link is news paper article showing how bush tried to hide global warming ( Bush slammed )but maybe its a ploy to makes us think hes hiding it so we belive in global warmin but i think in the future we wont need fos fuel and well be fine but i think its better to be safe then sorry

Comment

emissions

It doesn't matter what the cause of climate changes are...there is no justification for spewing toxic fumes into the air...it goes far beyond just carbon dioxide, which is only 1 part of emissions.
            Sincerely,
            Aaron Murakami

Books & Videos https://emediapress.com
            Conference http://energyscienceconference.com
            RPX & MWO http://vril.io

Comment

Originally posted by gabriolaman View Post
              if global warming is real and we ignore it then we are dumb for thinking its a conspiracy . . . i think its better to be safe then sorry
              Here is a recent e-mail I received that explains what you are saying very well. I think it should be re-titled though. It's not particularly terrifying to me, just good logic:

Here is a link to a video created by an Oregon teacher in regard to
              the dilemma of global warming, the video is drawing a lot of attention at
              YouTube and is worth a watch

YouTube - Most Terrifying Video You'll Ever See

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                It doesn't matter what the cause of climate changes are...there is no justification for spewing toxic fumes into the air

THEN we ALL need to go Cold Turkey TODAY and STOP the Pollutants. Or do you think Sneaking-up on the problem makes it all better.

- Schpankme

Comment

climate change

My house is being prepped to draw little to none from the grid.

Anyway, there are common sense reasons why not everyone is going to quit cold turkey.

I also did NOT say that these emissions are causing climate change either...just that pointing to carbon dioxide as the problem with emissions is the least of our concerns...I would rather have carbon dioxide than particulate matter, NOX, etc...

This is the truth to climate change:
                  http://www.energeticforum.com/agricu...html#post12790
                  Sincerely,
                  Aaron Murakami

Comment

My house is being prepped to draw little to none from the grid.

Anyway, there are common sense reasons why not everyone is going to quit cold turkey.

@Aaron,

How many Homes, off Grid, would it take to SHUT Down ONE average size Power Plant ? Answer: Every Home, including all Corporations!

- Schpankme

Comment

ya but every house that is off grid makes the generator use less fuel maybe not much less but per year that house is off grid it adds up

Comment

Originally posted by gabriolaman View Post
                        ya but every house that is off grid makes the generator use less fuel maybe not much less but per year that house is off grid it adds up
                        So with that philosophy, you can be a little bit pregnant.

The sad part for me is repeating these very similar words in 1978, 1998, 2008(?).

What have we experienced in 30 years. What will we experience in the next 30 years.

Note: The WORLD oil producers dispose by FLARE (to burn in open fire) more Natural Gas per year, then could be consumed in 10 years.
                        Natural Gas --> Methanol --> Hydrogen

As usual the fight for the environment is for the wrong objective; when in fact it's the policy and practice of Big OIL Companies that must be mandated Globally for the collection and distribution of Natural Gas.

- Schpankme
                        Last edited by Schpankme; 12-21-2007, 02:04 AM.

Comment

one person at a time

" How many Homes, off Grid, would it take to SHUT Down ONE average size Power Plant ? Answer: Every Home, including all Corporations!

- Schpankme"

All real change starts at a grassroots level and starts at the individual level, which I am doing.

What is your solution and how have you implemented it?
                          Last edited by Aaron; 12-21-2007, 08:34 AM.
                          Sincerely,
                          Aaron Murakami

Comment

What is your solution and how have you implemented it?
                            Aaron,

Lets remember the original Post - "treaty to confront global warming." As stated by me, Global Warming is a blatant lie; there is NO Global Warming; Therefore no action need be taken <period> So those CHANTING Global warming and the PARROTS who repeat it must have OTHER motives or agendas.

So for ME, this thread is about recruiting the Masses and Educating their Ass's. Wouldn't you agree?

However Aaron, if you've taken steps to Live off Grid - congrats - Are you doing it to SAVE the environment? Seems foolish for me to do the same. My current home is 4800 sq ft, it costs me <$200 per month (avg) to heat, cool and light. Would you like to create a new thread to discuss charging batteries, solar panels, OU devices and Living Off Grid ?

Could you please disclose what your monthly COSTS will be to live-off-grid >

- Schpankme

“People’s attentions are drawn by two things, the elegant and the unsightly. Take it from me, your new Off Grid Home is getting plenty of attention!”

Comment

Originally posted by Schpankme View Post
                              As usual the fight for the environment is for the wrong objective; when in fact it's the policy and practice of Big OIL Companies that must be mandated Globally for the collection and distribution of Natural Gas.

- Schpankme
                              I agree that the big business need to be involved. The bill that just got signed in the US is a great push in that direction.

I'm not into bashing people for their energy use, life is to be enjoyed.

I just think we will enjoy it more if we can be as much in harmony with our planet as possible.

Lots of people have nothing but good intentions in this area. We can't really speak for the motives of others. I'm not doubting some may be for the cause for the wrong reasons, but at least they're for the cause

XO Jessica

Comment

Working...
                              X