Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• info about batteries on the sg

i just read this

car's battery is designed to provide a very large amount of current for a short period of time. This surge of current is needed to turn the engine over during starting. Once the engine starts, the alternator provides all the power that the car needs, so a car battery may go through its entire life without ever being drained more than 20 percent of its total capacity. Used in this way, a car battery can last a number of years. To achieve a large amount of current, a car battery uses thin plates in order to increase its surface area.

A deep cycle battery is designed to provide a steady amount of current over a long period of time. A deep cycle battery can provide a surge when needed, but nothing like the surge a car battery can. A deep cycle battery is also designed to be deeply discharged over and over again (something that would ruin a car battery very quickly). To accomplish this, a deep cycle battery uses thicker plates.

then i thought well the reason the auto bat dies is because the type of charging it receives after discharge so then i thought well the sg charging is a cold charge so then the standard auto batts would last way longer running under the conditions a deep cycle battery seeing as there charged from the sg

anyone got any input on this?

well i did some reading about battery charging and found out a battery is dead when it reaches 10.50 volts and was wondering if thats what lvl i should discharge them to for conditioning them

also what wondering what voltage to take the battery of the sg

Comment

You are right, it is not healthy to a battery to discharge it to 10.5V. I would suggest not getting lower than 12:00V or 11.40V.
      As for charging voltage, I usually take mu batteries off the SSH when they have reached 13.5 or 14V. Small SSG's may not get the battery to voltage that high.
      It's better to wear off by working than to rust by doing nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetijs View Post
        You are right, it is not healthy to a battery to discharge it to 10.5V. I would suggest not getting lower than 12:00V or 11.40V.
        As for charging voltage, I usually take mu batteries off the SSH when they have reached 13.5 or 14V. Small SSG's may not get the battery to voltage that high.
        why wouldn't a smaller sg charge the batteries that high? Wouldnt it just take longer? when i was conditioning my batteries (7.2 Ah) they peaked at 16.5V then gradually dropped to 15.9V/15.8V using only a single 950 turn coil.
        "Theory guides. Experiment decides."

“I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.”
        Nikola Tesla

Comment

I did not say they wouldn't get as high as 14v, I said they might not
          It's better to wear off by working than to rust by doing nothing.

Comment

hehe thanks guyz i dunno how many turns my coil has but im getting 17 x12v spikes

Comment

i was also wondering about if im charging multiple batts is it safe to have a car batt and a smaller 7.2 ah gel cell at the same time

another note has anyone ever tried regulating the current for charging cause my solar panel outputs 18 volts @ 100ma seems to give good results vs 12 volt @ 175 draw

Comment

battery drainage

With draining a battery, I agree with Jetijs that you shouldn't bring a 12v battery down below 12 because at 12 it is dead and should be up to around 14-14.5 or so for full charge.

However, to my understanding, if you have a true deep cycle marine battery or something, it is safe to bring those down to 10-10.5 volts...at least safer than a car battery as they are build more for longer current pulls.
                Sincerely,
                Aaron Murakami

Books & Videos https://emediapress.com
                Conference http://energyscienceconference.com
                RPX & MWO http://vril.io

Comment

I believe that deep cycle batteries have thicker plates which is one of the benefits of this style battery. They allow for deeper discharge without creating too much damage. So saying, any battery that is discharged to 50% of its capacity will have a shorter life span than an identical battery that is discharged to 70% full.
                  "Once you've come to the conclusion that what what you know already is all you need to know, then you have a degree in disinterest." - John Dobson

Comment

but i thought that the plates were damaged by the type of charge they receive causing the plates to corrode and be coated by sulfation when low on voltage or electrolyte and the sg drives the sulfation off the plates and no corrosion on the plates during charge do the plates get damaged from the discharge process?

Comment

from what i understand sulphation is inevitable when the battery is being discharged... the sg undoes the sulphation whereas a conventional charger does not so the sulphation builds up over time with a conventional charger...
                      "Theory guides. Experiment decides."

“I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.”
                      Nikola Tesla

Comment

My tiny SSG

I have a deep Cell battery and I have got it up to 12.60 V. ( it was declared dead at one time )

I am wondering, what should the level of my power supply be? I am currently supplying 12V at .38 Amps to this battey and it takes about 2 days to reach max charge when I run it down to 10.5 V.

From what I have read, perhaps 14 V is what I should be using ( as a car alternator) ? Just curious what other people feed there ssg with.

thanks
                        See my experiments here...
                        http://www.youtube.com/marthale7

You do not have to prove something for it to be true. However, you do have to prove something for others to believe it true.

Comment

i charge most of my batteries with 20v on the input. seems to work great for ni-mh and ni-cad packs, lead acid batteries and the like. i have tried recharging lithium button cells with 5v and DO NOT recommend it, the battery swelled up to twice its normal thickness. i think i got lucky.
                          cell phone and ipod lithiums, i usually use 5v to charge them.
                          this is with a simple SG, one coil, nothing fancy.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainScat View Post
                            i charge most of my batteries with 20v on the input. seems to work great for ni-mh and ni-cad packs, lead acid batteries and the like. i have tried recharging lithium button cells with 5v and DO NOT recommend it, the battery swelled up to twice its normal thickness. i think i got lucky.
                            cell phone and ipod lithiums, i usually use 5v to charge them.
                            this is with a simple SG, one coil, nothing fancy.
                            I agree LITHIUMS with too much power BURN! I have seen videos that make me loose sleep at night ( lithium fires are nasty ). I stay away from lithiums period for recharing seen too many videos about them overheating and creating caustic fires.

Today I switched over to a 12V 2 amp power supply for an external USB hard drive. It jumped up to 12.80 from 12.60 and is still seems to be climbing. Which is much better.

Thanks for replying!
                            See my experiments here...
                            http://www.youtube.com/marthale7

You do not have to prove something for it to be true. However, you do have to prove something for others to believe it true.

Comment

swapping the batts

I have two 12V 7A/h Sealed lead acid batteries. I have been switching between these two for some time now, but I think I may have damaged one of them. The first one I bought I was also using for a water fuel cell and I brought the voltage down to 4.8 volts, way to low, however I did not know this at the time. So I bought another one about a month or so later and have now been swapping the two out only on my SG. The new battery (B-1) has been able to maintain above 12.v but the older bat (B-2) hasn't been able to get above 11.95V My first charge on B-2 brought it up to 12V after 17Hr. but it hasn't got back to that point. I have typically been charging between 1 1/2 hr to 2 h/rs. maybe this is not enough time? At what Voltage should I stop running the sg and switch my batts? 12V? Also I charged a batt that I got out of a recycle container that was around 11.3 V when I got it, it is now at 12.3V but the amp were only around 1.5A. It is a 7 A batt also says deep cycle charging. Is this normal, I thought if the volts reached 12 the amps should be directly proportional to the V. Meaning it would be at at least 7A. Help please!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X