Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BroMikey
    replied
    Now this is something concrete when I thought you might be sand baggin.This explains why you could not get the right rpm and I began to wonder. Such a slow speed was blowing my mind.

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    Another update. My machinist told me today that it is NOT the magnets in the rotor that are in backwards, but three of the opposing stator magnets. SO much easier to fix!! Should be done with that by tomorrow and can start putting it all back together.

bi, to answer your question about how could he “get it running correctly with those magnets in backwards. “ my response is this. If we just look at what is going on on one side of the rotor, there are 12 magnets that interact with the six coils. Only six align at any one time. Call these the “generator magnets.” There are also 12 magnets on the rotor that align with six magnets on the stator. These are the repulsion magnets. Only six are ever aligned at once and are only aligned when generator magnets are aligned with coils. When six of the rotor magnets are aligned with the coils in attraction, six magnets on the rotor are aligned with six magnets on the stator in repulsion. Three of those were in backwards, so When Greyland was trying to tune the machine those three magnets needed to be backed all the way off and the three that had the correct polarity adjusted close to the rotor magnets to get the “best” performance. The motor was still drawing 16 amps which is more than I claimed it would draw, because I have seen it do better, but still less than without the opposition magnets in place. That’s because only HALF the opposition magnets were doing their job. The others were NOT. It will make a significant difference in motor amp draw when he gets this fixed, which will also affect RPM and therefore generator output.

Leave a comment:

• bistander
    replied
    Originally posted by Turion View Post
    bi,
    There is an update of sorts. I haven't worked on the generator AT ALL. I just don't have the time or energy after working construction all day. But my machinist has been working on it whenever possible. He discovered that three of the repulsing magnets on the rotor (which means 3 on each side) are the wrong polarity facing out, which is likely responsible for the increased amp draw as they aren't exactly doing the job the are supposed to do if they are ATTRACTING instead of REPULSING. so six magnets incorrect out of 24. He is going to try over the next couple days to get them out of the rotor, but good luck with THAT without destroying the rotor. He says he can do it, so I leave it up to him. That is the only thing preventing him from putting it all back together. Once he has it running, I will go down and do the testing. If that's not good enough for you bi, you could always build your own and test it. LOL
    Hi Turion,
    Thanks for the update. Looking back at your Jan.9,2020 report:
    ...I had a long conversation with my machinist about what he had done to adjust the opposing magnets, and it turns out he only had half of them engaged because he thought he could spin the rotor from one locking position to another by hand more easily than when ALL the magnets were in place. ...
    Maybe he was right. Sounds like a clue.

...I had a long conversation with my machinist about what he had done to adjust the opposing magnets, and it turns out he only had half of them engaged because he thought he could spin the rotor from one locking position to another by hand more easily than when ALL the magnets were in place. (He doesn't really understand how it works) In essence, he had destroyed the (complete) neutralizing effect of the magnets with his arrangement. (And they were only PARTIALLY neutralizing the magnetic drag) We had to take all the coils out of the machine and put them in one at a time. You have to mark the position and the number on the coil so that it goes back in to the spot the magnets have been adjusted for, but you can only have one coil at a time in the machine (while doing the adjustment for a specific coil). Put one in, adjust, take it back out and put the next one in the next position. When you're all done, you can put them all back in their designated spot. It is a tedious process that took us until 5:00 this morning to complete. So, we got it running correctly, and it is running off the power supply which only puts out 13 amps. It is running on a bit less than that at 12 amps. Just like I claimed it would. ...
    I wonder how you could adjust and get it "running correctly" with those magnets in backwards.
    Regards,
    bi

Leave a comment:

• BroMikey
    replied
    I am glad to see you sticking to the grind stone getting it done. Dave I admire that. Sometimes we all need a good example. I have so many things like that to do also. Jordan and I will be posting a short school video of his progress following your work, soon. We are having fun building it.Remember we wound the 51 strand C core coil in the summer.
    Last edited by BroMikey; 03-06-2020, 08:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Turion
    replied
    bi,
    There is an update of sorts. I haven't worked on the generator AT ALL. I just don't have the time or energy after working construction all day. But my machinist has been working on it whenever possible. He discovered that three of the repulsing magnets on the rotor (which means 3 on each side) are the wrong polarity facing out, which is likely responsible for the increased amp draw as they aren't exactly doing the job the are supposed to do if they are ATTRACTING instead of REPULSING. so six magnets incorrect out of 24. He is going to try over the next couple days to get them out of the rotor, but good luck with THAT without destroying the rotor. He says he can do it, so I leave it up to him. That is the only thing preventing him from putting it all back together. Once he has it running, I will go down and do the testing. If that's not good enough for you bi, you could always build your own and test it. LOL

Leave a comment:

Working...
X