• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnetic Diode

https://www.uibk.ac.at/newsroom/firs...fields.html.en

Newsroom
    Sketch of the unidirectional magnetic couplingBildlizenz
    First diode for mag*netic fields
    Innsbruck quantum physicists have constructed a diode for magnetic fields and then tested it in the laboratory. The device, developed by the research groups led by the theorist Oriol Romero-Isart and the experimental physicist Gerhard Kirchmair, could open up a number of new applications.
    Electric diodes are essential electronic components that conduct electricity in one direction but prevent conduction in the opposite one. They are found at the core of any electronic component, being one of the most essential building blocks. Until now there were no such components for magnetic fields. Physicists at the University of Innsbruck and the ÖAW Institute of Quantum Optics and Quantum Information (IQOQI) are now changing that. They designed the first diode for magnetic fields and demonstrated its functionality in the laboratory.

“Our device makes possible to transfer the magnetic field from a first magnetic element - for example a magnet or a coil - to a second one. When roles are inverted and one tries to send magnetic field from the second to the first, no magnetic field is transferred," explains first author Jordi Prat Camps, who is now a researcher at the University of Sussex in England. Technically speaking, this means that the mutual inductances between the two sources, which are routinely assumed to be symmetric, can be made extremely asymmetric. The key element to obtain this result is the use of an electrical conductor that moves with constant velocity. “When the conductor is properly placed near to the magnetic elements and is moved at the right speed, the coupling between them becomes unidirectional, and a diode for magnetic fields is realized”, says Jordi Prat Camps.

Coupled magnetic elements are found in many key technologies like electric motors, transformers, magnetic memories or MRI machines. In all of them, magnetic elements are symmetrically coupled. “The availability of a new magnetic tool like a diode might thus open a bunch of new possibilities”, Gerhard Kirchmair points to the future. For example, the efficiency of wireless charging devices could be improved, since the energy can only flow from the charging station to the device and not in the other direction.

The work was financially supported by the Austrian Ministry of Education, Science and Research and the European Union and published in the journal Physical Review Letters.
    _ _ _ _ _ _

All of the was copied from the link. I'm not sure I believe it, but willing to keep an open mind. I want to be see data, proof and theoretical derivation. I hope I don't have to wait too long.

bi

Hello bistander

Good catch!

Remember this: pm some years ago?

"" There is a microscopic hope of OU from the G-part but the real thing must be how to make the ""transformer" as a magnetic diode. No back kick from the secondary!
    Arne

....an't discuss on the thread. Magnetic diode.... Interesting. ... Since magnetic flux doesn't flow, I can't see it, but it is something to ponder. Cool idea. ""

Now you also can be a real builder

Regards Arne
    Last edited by seaad; 11-23-2018, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bistander View Post
      “... magnetic tool like a diode might thus open a bunch of new possibilities”,
      I'm not sure ... I don't have to wait too long.
      "...since the energy can only flow from the charging station to the device and not in the other direction"

Al

Comment

Good points

Hello Arne & Al,

Your points got me thinking that it is likely BS making as much sense as a gravity diode. Oh well. Maybe somebody could explain or speculate what a magnetic diode would do, say, if such a thing were placed between a PM and piece of iron.

Regards,

bi

Comment

Hello Arne & Al,

Your points got me thinking that it is likely BS making as much sense as a gravity diode. Oh well. Maybe somebody could explain or speculate what a magnetic diode would do, say, if such a thing were placed between a PM and piece of iron.

Regards,

bi
          All you need is a magnetic on/off switch, and you have varying flux.

If such a device were placed between two permanent magnets, and you either assisted or opposed the magnetic field between magnets, you would have a varying magnetic flux field. Add a harvesting assembly (coil) encapsulating the field, and you have a generator. Assuming the same relationship with circuit amplification, you should easily attain over-unity.

Comment

Hello bistander

I don't think your thought experiment example were so good because you mentioned a piece of iron as a magnetic flux 'receiver' from the PM. The iron can't send back or try to send send back magnetic flux as in the 'diode' research attempt. There, the both coils [double acting as Transm./Res.] are situated between the moving U-walls acting as a 'flux deflector' = magn.diode function as I'm interpret that experiment.
            In order to validate this magnetic diode experiment, I would perform this in a similar manner as in the research attempt first.
            I do think the driving of the U-walls take some energy also because Eddy currents will occur that slow down the walls speed. So I don't think this magn.diode thing is woking for free.
            In an apparatus the power consumption to drive that diode function maybe is negligible if the diode function then let the apparatus produce free energy.

Regards Arne

Comment

A couple better articles w diagrams.

Looks like these are copyright sensitive so I'm not pasting them in here. This first one shows an apparatus which looks reproducible by the likes of a home experimenter.

https://physics.aps.org/synopsis-for...ett.121.213903

Then there is this article which they want $ for or maybe will send it to a library upon request.

https://journals.aps.org/prl/abstrac...ett.121.213903

Regards,

bi

{edit}

Another one.

First diode for magnetic fields
              23-Nov-2018

full-screen
              Luis Veloso
              When the left coil is energized, the magnetic field reaches the right coil (top). When the right coil is energized, the magnetic field does not reach the left one (bottom).

Innsbruck quantum physicists have constructed a diode for magnetic fields and then tested it in the laboratory. The device, developed by the research groups led by the theorist Oriol Romero-Isart and the experimental physicist Gerhard Kirchmair, could open up a number of new applications.

Electric diodes are essential electronic components that conduct electricity in one direction but prevent conduction in the opposite one. They are found at the core of any electronic component, being one of the most essential building blocks. Until now there were no such components for magnetic fields. Physicists at the University of Innsbruck and the ÖAW Institute of Quantum Optics and Quantum Information (IQOQI) are now changing that. They designed the first diode for magnetic fields and demonstrated its functionality in the laboratory.

“Our device makes possible to transfer the magnetic field from a first magnetic element - for example a magnet or a coil - to a second one. When roles are inverted and one tries to send magnetic field from the second to the first, no magnetic field is transferred," explains first author Jordi Prat Camps, who is now a researcher at the University of Sussex in England. Technically speaking, this means that the mutual inductances between the two sources, which are routinely assumed to be symmetric, can be made extremely asymmetric. The key element to obtain this result is the use of an electrical conductor that moves with constant velocity. “When the conductor is properly placed near to the magnetic elements and is moved at the right speed, the coupling between them becomes unidirectional, and a diode for magnetic fields is realized”, says Jordi Prat Camps.

Coupled magnetic elements are found in many key technologies like electric motors, transformers, magnetic memories or MRI machines. In all of them, magnetic elements are symmetrically coupled. “The availability of a new magnetic tool like a diode might thus open a bunch of new possibilities”, Gerhard Kirchmair points to the future. For example, the efficiency of wireless charging devices could be improved, since the energy can only flow from the charging station to the device and not in the other direction.

Original publication:

"Circumventing Magnetostatic Reciprocity: a Diode for Magnetic Fields"; J. Prat-Camps, P. Maurer, G. Kirchmair, and O. Romero-Isart; Phys. Rev. Lett.; 121, 213903

I think I see what they're doing.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by bistander; 11-25-2018, 07:09 AM. Reason: Added reference

Comment

Exciting?

Initially sounded exciting......but seems to involve rotating cylinder.
                That necessarily would involve a cost?
                John.

Comment

It seems that we have two situations here about the directions of the coils.

Arne
                  Attached Files

Comment

Where from?

Originally posted by seaad View Post
                    It seems that we have two situations here about the directions of the coils.

Arne
                    Thanks Arne,

What is your source for this graphic?

bi

{edit}
                    This reminds me somewhat of the Faraday paradox.
                    Last edited by bistander; 11-25-2018, 02:55 PM. Reason: Added note

Comment

Cost

Originally posted by Iamnuts View Post
                      Initially sounded exciting......but seems to involve rotating cylinder.
                      That necessarily would involve a cost?
                      John.
                      Ever notice? Everything has cost.

bi

Comment

Hi bistander,

A member at the other forum posted this link to the paper:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1802.00832

Gyula

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by gyula View Post
                          Hi bistander,

A member at the other forum posted this link to the paper:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1802.00832

Gyula
                          I was able to download pdf free. Thanks.

Got a link to the other forum?

bi

Comment

1) What is your source for this graphic?

2) This reminds me somewhat of the Faraday paradox.
                            1 My own snippet from your sources/ pics above. Pls correct me if I'm wrong.
                            And W. Paint.

2 Yes agree, but not exact. A moving rotating conductor and at the same time a short "coil"?, rim to the origo axel.
                            But again no flux linking. Only one coil! AND DC!

Idea: And DC! Why not AC? Lets chop, chop the DC and make AC. Now we can link the flux to another coil.

Regards Arne
                            Last edited by seaad; 11-25-2018, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Got a link to the other forum?

bi

Yes, but a real discussion is not yet formed over there:
                              https://overunity.com/18048/21-11-20...296/#msg527296

Comment

Working...
                              X