No announcement yet.

Nikola Tesla’s Turbine Secrets - Global Open Source Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi guys, I've been without a PC for a while. Finally back online with a PC now so can share everything that has been going on.

In January I paid a very talented CAD designer to sit with me and draw my interpretation of Tesla's Mk2 turbine.

This is a combination of the 1913 US Patent 1,061,206 Turbine patent, the 1921 British Patent 186,082 for Tesla's Mk2 Rotor and the 1921 British Patent 179,043

Here are a couple of pictures:

Also I thought I would show you a very basic Turbine and Vacuum combination:

It has two discs and one star washer for the turbine and two discs and one 3 spoke washer for the vacuum.

The turbine hasn't got the right shaped nozzle and the build is not 100% correct.

However if you build this correctly you will suck the heat out of air and run on it!

I'm happy to answer questions on any aspect of my research and development.
    Last edited by soundiceuk; 01-27-2020, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• There is much confusion over the Tesla Turbine.

I am going to clear up the confusion with my analysis of the US Patent 1,061,206 and US Patent 1,061,142

It is important to understand that there are actually two machines within the US Patent 1,061,206

One is a turbine and has a diverging nozzle.

One is a rotary engine and has a straight port.

This is why the machine that was burning wood had so much torque.

It had a straight port!

Now that you know this, you can identify that there is a lack of Tesla turbines across the world. What people have built is a Tesla rotary engine.

If you want torque on the primary axle, build a rotary engine. If you want a high speed turbine to propel a second stage machine to take the torque from 2nd stage axle, build a turbine.

Here is my evidence:

Key:

Blue = 1,061,142 Patent = Pump = Machine for propelling fluids

Pink = 1,061,142 Patent = Compressor = Machine for compressing fluids

Green = 1,061,206 Patent = Rotary Engine = Machine for turning other machines from its own shaft

Orange = 1,061,206 Patent = Turbine = Propelling machine for turning second axle geared by air or for turning second rotor on same axle

Yellow = Valvular Conduit reference

Last edited by soundiceuk; 02-04-2019, 05:37 PM.

Comment

• There is also confusion over Tesla's "pump" US Patent 1,061,142

It is also two machines.

A "pump" (runners with tear shaped holes facing in correct direction)

A "compressor" (runners with no holes)

The "pump" is the opposite of the "rotary engine" aka "motor".

The "compressor" is the opposite of the "turbine".

Tesla writes:

"The same principles, however, are capable of embodiment also in that field of mechanical engineering which is concerned in the use of fluids as motive agents, for while in certain respects the operations in the latter case are directly opposite to those met with in the propulsion of fluids, and the means employed may differ in some features, the fundamental laws applicable in the two cases are the same. In other words, the operation is reversible, for if water or air under pressure be admitted to the opening constituting the outlet of a pump or blower as described, the runner is set in rotation by reason of the peculiar properties of the fluid which, in its movement through the device, imparts its energy thereto."

So now the cat's out of the bag! Who is going to get there first!?

Comment

• Axle, washers and end plates CAD Drawings

The axle in my turbine prototype holds, 12 runners, 1 centre runner with no exhaust holes, 14 star washers, two end plates, two washers and one 17mm x 1.0 pitch x 8mm width off the shelf nyloc nut.

More to follow.

Comment

• M17 x 1.0 Thread
            28 mm Diameter
            Number of Slots - 4
            4 mm Slot Size

Use with DIN1810A Hook Spanner Wrench

Comment

• 4mm Key Steel

Comment

• This is good for visualising what is happening inside the casing.

Last edited by soundiceuk; 01-27-2020, 01:56 PM.

Comment

• The importance of the "diverging nozzle"

If you want to build a machine with plenty of torque, you need a rotor with many discs and a casing with a straight port:

US Patent 1,061,206 TURBINE

"increased number of disks and smaller distance of separation"

If you want to build a prime mover (Tesla Turbine) which it appears no one across the world has done so yet you need a diverging nozzle!

WHY?????

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustaf_de_Laval

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Laval_nozzle

Reference 1:

"de Laval nozzle
                  In 1882 he introduced his concept of an impulse steam turbine[2] and in 1887 built a small steam turbine to demonstrate that such devices could be constructed on that scale. In 1890 Laval developed a nozzle to increase the steam jet to supersonic speed, working from the kinetic energy of the steam, rather than its pressure. The nozzle, now known as a de Laval nozzle, is used in modern rocket engine nozzles. De Laval turbines can run at up to 30,000 rpm. The turbine wheel was mounted on a long flexible shaft, its two bearings spaced far apart on either side. The higher speed of the turbine demanded that he also design new approaches to reduction gearing, which are still in use today. Since the materials available at the time were not strong enough for the immense centrifugal forces, the output from the turbine was limited, and large scale electric steam generators were dominated by designs using the alternative compound steam turbine approach of Charles Parsons.[2]

Using high pressure steam in a turbine that had oil-fed bearings meant that some of the steam contaminated the lube-oil, and as a result, perfecting commercial steam-turbines required that he also develop an effective oil/water separator. After trying several methods, he concluded that a centrifugal separator was the most affordable and effective method. He developed several types, and their success established the centrifugal separator as a useful device in a variety of applications."

Reference 2:

"A de Laval nozzle (or convergent-divergent nozzle, CD nozzle or con-di nozzle) is a tube that is pinched in the middle, making a carefully balanced, asymmetric hourglass shape. It is used to accelerate a hot, pressurized gas passing through it to a higher supersonic speed in the axial (thrust) direction, by converting the heat energy of the flow into kinetic energy. Because of this, the nozzle is widely used in some types of steam turbines and rocket engine nozzles. It also sees use in supersonic jet engines."

Here is an example of how a university didn't build to the patent specification, in what appears to be a deliberate attempt to dumb down the machines capabilities.

This video proves that Tesla's machine runs on heat and not pressure.

The turbine was designed to condense air and use the kinetic energy in heat to spin the turbine ultra fast which moves a lot of air, creating a propelling machine.

I think the motor was designed to increase the radial pressure on the discs and the turbine reduce radial pressure.

US Patent 1,061,206 TURBINE

"In the motor, on the contrary, the first named pressure, being opposed to that of supply, reduces the effective head and the velocity of radial flow toward the center."

So what I am saying is the fluid backs up in spiral paths on the motor with straight port, whilst the centrifugal force coming out from the discs fights the radial pressure of the fluid, which gives torque.

With the turbine, the fluid just keeps shooting for the exhaust after completing many concentric circles unhindered at extreme velocity. The faster it spins the longer the concentric pathway because of more spiral turns. The longer the spiral path, the more boundary layer effect there is.

The turbine loves speed and makes its own vacuum.

This can be massively increased to maximum vacuum with a second stage vacuum.

This is the 179,043 British patent which is the same machine in reverse and larger spaces over top and bottom of the rotor for the extremely large amount of fluid being moved.

Here is the patent. This is the best of all of Tesla's patents I have ever read!

The first paragraph is amazing!

Here is the original:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6i3avihgr...79043.PDF?dl=0

I've ordered my shaft and washers to be made.

I'm still shopping for machine shops and 3D print companies for the casing.
                  Last edited by soundiceuk; 01-27-2020, 01:56 PM.

Comment

• This is how my thoughts are settled:

If you want to build the Tesla motor use the pump because it is its opposite.

If you want to build the Tesla turbine use the Mk1 compressor 1,061,142 or Mk2 compressor 179,043 as they are the opposite.

The first machine on each of these is one side of the vortex, the other is the opposite.

The turbine turns heat into cold using centripetal force and the compressor turns cold into hot using centrifugal force.

The motor turns heat into radial pressure (torque) using centripetal force and the pump amplifies the air flow ability because it is adding the centrifugal force to the radial pressure.

Comment

• Tesla Turbine Nozzles, Ports & Valves in laymans terms:

Converging Nozzle: Nozzle slows down fluid flow but increases forward pressure out of nozzle. The increase in fluid pressure opposes the incoming atmospheric pressure. The result is lots of back pressure.

For example when you connect a garden hose and the pipe pops off the tap.

Straight Port: The velocity of fluid is constant inside and the fluid velocity slows down on exit into the casing as it has room to expand. The fluid slowing down increases the air pressure which now opposes atmospheric pressure. The result is lots of back pressure.

Diverging Nozzle: The nozzle slows the fluid down as the exit of the nozzle has a bigger surface area than the start of the nozzle. It is an exact opposite of the converging nozzle. My CAD guy reckons 5% is a good starting point and then figure out what angle works best. My CAD guy has a masters degree in marine engineering and mechanical engineering.

The velocity of the fluid slows down at the top of the nozzle and then speeds up to maximum velocity when it meets the rotor and it tries to get to the exhaust holes as fast as it can!

Air has the ability to reach supersonic speeds and more once this chain reaction has started.

The velocity increasing out of the nozzle causes a lower pressure inside.

Think of how fast the back door slams when you open the front door!

Same chain reaction, only the rotor will be turned even more each time.

All engines have become over complicated as it serves to make big business more money.

Time to reset the stage!

Valve: The Tesla valve turns the back pressure around and turns it into forward pressure.

Have fun with the valve! Files coming soon!
                      Last edited by soundiceuk; 02-08-2019, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• I've almost finished my rotor made from stainless steel 316.

I've still got to fit the rotor to the shaft and true the discs on a lathe.

Comment

• Here is an update on the 3D printed version in Brighton, UK.

I am told they are working on motorised inlet, exhaust and re circulation valves.

They should have this up and running this month.

Comment

• Wow, professional design/build. Looking forward on how it is working!

Regards Roland

Comment

• "The Problem of Increasing Human Energy" by Nikola Tesla

The Problem of Increasing Human Energy - Nikola Tesla 1900

"It is possible, and even probable, that there will be, in time, other resources of energy opened up, of which we have no knowledge now. We may even find ways of applying forces such as magnetism or gravity for driving machinery without using any other means. Such realizations, though highly improbable, are not impossible. An example will best convey an idea of what we can hope to attain and what we can never attain. Imagine a disk of some homogeneous material turned perfectly true and arranged to turn in frictionless bearings on a horizontal shaft above the ground. This disk, being under the above conditions perfectly balanced, would rest in any position. Now, it is possible that we may learn how to make such a disk rotate continuously and perform work by the force of gravity without any further effort on our part; but it is perfectly impossible for the disk to turn and to do work without any force from the outside. If it could do so, it would be what is designated scientifically as a "perpetuum mobile," a machine creating its own motive power. To make the disk rotate by the force of gravity we have only to invent a screen against this force. By such a screen we could prevent this force from acting on one half of the disk, and the rotation of the latter would follow. At least, we cannot deny such a possibility until we know exactly the nature of the force of gravity. Suppose that this force were due to a movement comparable to that of a stream of air passing from above toward the center of the earth. The effect of such a stream upon both halves of the disk would be equal, and the latter would not rotate ordinarily; but if one half should be guarded by a plate arresting the movement, then it would turn."

"But was it not possible to realize a similar condition without necessarily going to a height? Conceive, for the sake of illustration, [a cylindrical] enclosure T, as illustrated in diagram b, such that energy could not be transferred across it except through a channel or path O, and that, by some means or other, in this enclosure a medium were maintained which would have little energy, and that on the outer side of the same there would be the ordinary ambient medium with much energy. Under these assumptions the energy would flow through the path O, as indicated by the arrow, and might then be converted on its passage into some other form of energy. The question was, Could such a condition be attained? Could we produce artificially such a "sink" for the energy of the ambient medium to flow in? Suppose that an extremely low temperature could be maintained by some process in a given space; the surrounding medium would then be compelled to give off heat, which could be converted into mechanical or other form of energy, and utilized. By realizing such a plan, we should be enabled to get at any point of the globe a continuous supply of energy, day and night. More than this, reasoning in the abstract, it would seem possible to cause a quick circulation of the medium, and thus draw the energy at a very rapid rate."

"Here, then, was an idea which, if realizable, afforded a happy solution of the problem of getting energy from the medium. But was it realizable? I convinced myself that it was so in a number of ways, of which one is the following. As regards heat, we are at a high level, which may be represented by the surface of a mountain lake considerably above the sea, the level of which may mark the absolute zero of temperature existing in the interstellar space. Heat, like water, flows from high to low level, and, consequently, just as we can let the water of the lake run down to the sea, so we are able to let heat from the earth's surface travel up into the cold region above. Heat, like water, can perform work in flowing down, and if we had any doubt as to whether we could derive energy from the medium by means of a thermopile, as before described, it would be dispelled by this analogue. But can we produce cold in a given portion of the space and cause the heat to flow in continually? To create such a "sink," or "cold hole," as we might say, in the medium, would be equivalent to producing in the lake a space either empty or filled with something much lighter than water. This we could do by placing in the lake a tank, and pumping all the water out of the latter. We know, then, that the water, if allowed to flow back into the tank, would, theoretically, be able to perform exactly the same amount of work which was used in pumping it out, but not a bit more. Consequently nothing could be gained in this double operation of first raising the water and then letting it fall down. This would mean that it is impossible to create such a sink in the medium. But let us reflect a moment. Heat, though following certain general laws of mechanics, like a fluid, is not such; it is energy which may be converted into other forms of energy as it passes from a high to a low level. To make our mechanical analogy complete and true, we must, therefore, assume that the water, in its passage into the tank, is converted into something else, which may be taken out of it without using any, or by using very little, power. For example, if heat be represented in this analogue by the water of the lake, the oxygen and hydrogen composing the water may illustrate other forms of energy into which the heat is transformed in passing from hot to cold. If the process of heat transformation were absolutely perfect, no heat at all would arrive at the low level, since all of it would be converted into other forms of energy. Corresponding to this ideal case, all the water flowing into the tank would be decomposed into oxygen and hydrogen before reaching the bottom, and the result would be that water would continually flow in, and yet the tank would remain entirely empty, the gases formed escaping. We would thus produce, by expending initially a certain amount of work to create a sink for the heat or, respectively, the water to flow in, a condition enabling us to get any amount of energy without further effort. This would be an ideal way of obtaining motive power. We do not know of any such absolutely perfect process of heat-conversion, and consequently some heat will generally reach the low level, which means to say, in our mechanical analogue, that some water will arrive at the bottom of the tank, and a gradual and slow filling of the latter will take place, necessitating continuous pumping out. But evidently there will be less to pump out than flows in, or, in other words, less energy will be needed to maintain the initial condition than is developed by the fall, and this is to say that some energy will be gained from the medium. What is not converted in flowing down can just be raised up with its own energy, and what is converted is clear gain. Thus the virtue of the principle I have discovered resides wholly in the conversion of the energy on the downward flow."
                              Last edited by soundiceuk; 02-12-2019, 12:06 AM.

Comment

• "Having recognized this truth, I began to devise means for carrying out my idea, and, after long thought, I finally conceived a combination of apparatus which should make possible the obtaining of power from the medium by a process of continuous cooling of atmospheric air. This apparatus, by continually transforming heat into mechanical work, tended to become colder and colder, and if it only were practicable to reach a very low temperature in this manner, then a sink for the heat could be produced, and energy could be derived from the medium. This seemed to be contrary to the statements of Carnot and Lord Kelvin before referred to, but I concluded from the theory of the process that such a result could be attained. This conclusion I reached, I think, in the latter part of 1883, when I was in Paris, and it was at a time when my mind was being more and more dominated by an invention which I had evolved during the preceding year, and which has since become known under the name of the "rotating magnetic field." During the few years which followed I elaborated further the plan I had imagined, and studied the working conditions, but made little headway. The commercial introduction in this country of the invention before referred to required most of my energies until 1889, when I again took up the idea of the self-acting machine. A closer investigation of the principles involved, and calculation, now showed that the result I aimed at could not be reached in a practical manner by ordinary machinery, as I had in the beginning expected. This led me, as a next step, to the study of a type of engine generally designated as "turbine," which at first seemed to offer better chances for a realization of the idea. Soon I found, however, that the turbine, too, was unsuitable. But my conclusions showed that if an engine of a peculiar kind could be brought to a high degree of perfection, the plan I had conceived was realizable, and I resolved to proceed with the development of such an engine, the primary object of which was to secure the greatest economy of transformation of heat into mechanical energy. A characteristic feature of the engine was that the work-performing piston was not connected with anything else, but was perfectly free to vibrate at an enormous rate. The mechanical difficulties encountered in the construction of this engine were greater than I had anticipated, and I made slow progress. This work was continued until early in 1892, when I went to London, where I saw Professor Dewar's admirable experiments with liquefied gases. Others had liquefied gases before, and notably Ozlewski and Pictet had performed creditable early experiments in this line, but there was such a vigor about the work of Dewar that even the old appeared new. His experiments showed, though in a way different from that I had imagined, that it was possible to reach a very low temperature by transforming heat into mechanical work, and I returned, deeply impressed with what I had seen, and more than ever convinced that my plan was practicable. The work temporarily interrupted was taken up anew, and soon I had in a fair state of perfection the engine which I have named "the mechanical oscillator." In this machine I succeeded in doing away with all packings, valves, and lubrication, and in producing so rapid a vibration of the piston that shafts of tough steel, fastened to the same and vibrated longitudinally, were torn asunder. By combining this engine with a dynamo of special design I produced a highly efficient electrical generator, invaluable in measurements and determinations of physical quantities on account of the unvarying rate of oscillation obtainable by its means. I exhibited several types of this machine, named "mechanical and electrical oscillator," before the Electrical Congress at the World's Fair in Chicago during the summer of 1893, in a lecture which, on account of other pressing work, I was unable to prepare for publication. On that occasion I exposed the principles of the mechanical oscillator, but the original purpose of this machine is explained here for the first time."
                                Last edited by soundiceuk; 02-12-2019, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X