No announcement yet.

Nikola Tesla’s Turbine Secrets - Global Open Source Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The blueprinted rotor is currently at the balancers. It is being balanced to the highest accuracy possible.

I have designed the rotor to be able to achieve 500,000rpm - 1,000,000rpm using Tesla's atmospheric air bearing design.

It would be wise to go to the Nikola Tesla museum and check out his design in person. I have a fair idea of how he did it.

Off the shelf air bearings of this size are only capable of 140,000rpm, which would certainly do for now.

To achieve transonic speed either using vacuum or compressed air we need to reach 52,000rpm using this 126mm rotor.

The air will become 85 times as viscous which I can only imagine will be similar to injecting a large amount of nitrous oxide into a performance engine.

Comment

• I just switched out the tear shaped hole pump discs and replaced the rotor with the solid discs for Tesla's compressor.

Three ways to get more compression.

1. More discs

2. Tighter gaps

3. Spin rotor faster

This is the quietest compressor in the world!

I've also upgraded the motor stand.

I've ordered a new motor controller that adjusts the frequency and voltage rather than just the voltage. It goes up to 300hz.

I also found one that goes up to 3000hz

I'll get that one once I have a balanced pump and compressor rotor.

I'm now designing a base to mount the pump / compressor on to give the motor stand exactly the same plane to move on.

It will feature adjustable vibration feet to be able to set the level of the machine.

When the machine has two balanced rotors I don't expect any vibration. In fact it will be fairly quiet.

Comment

• So the new motor controller wasn't powerful enough to handle the 2hp motor.

So I've ordered another one that suggests it can handle 4hp.

So I had to downgrade the motor to do another video.

The 1/3hp motor is a bit noisy as it sat on a shelf in my workshop for many years with no use.

I should get the new motor controller on Tuesday.

Here is Nikola Tesla's Thermodynamic Transformer v0.275

Last edited by soundiceuk; 01-15-2020, 12:58 PM.

Comment

• Greetings Mr. soundiceuk you are carrying out a great project, you have the resources and capacity to do it, I congratulate you

Comment

• Hi guys!

I just wanted to thank Aaron for the mention at the conference. That is really appreciated!

7:00 minutes in

Also I wanted to explain to you all what has been widely misunderstood about Tesla's mechanical machines.

There are two ways these machines can be started.

All engines have a speed they need to reach before they will fire.

Tesla's machines are no different.

In the early days Tesla patented the pump and turbine in 21 different countries.

8 of which it was his only patent.

20 countries had the pump and turbine combined.

The US was the only country he split the pump and turbine into 2 seperate patents.

He did this for a reason. It was to draw attention, confuse his competitors and also teach those who decided to become "skilled in the art".

Here is a paragraph from 1909 British Patent 24,001 - IMPROVED METHOD OF IMPARTING ENERGY TO OR DERIVING ENERGY FROM A FLUID AND APPARATUS FOR USE THEREIN

"Since the centrifugal head increases as the square of the revolutions, or even more rapidly, and with modern high grade steel great peripheral velocities are practicable, it is possible to attain that condition in a single stage machine, more readily if the runner be of large diameter. Obviously this problem is facilitated by compounding, as will be understood by those skilled in the art."

It has come to my understanding through experimentation that it is the pump that needs to fire before it will make enough vacuum to fire the turbine (diverging nozzle) or rotary engine (port).

The rim speed at the periphery needs to be transonic / supersonic to create the necessary vacuum -14psi / 28.5 inches of mercury.

This was Tesla's Mk1 starting mechanism and its secrets are buried within the patents and can only be realised through experimentation.

The vacuum pump was Tesla's Mk2 method and if built correctly could make this sort of vacuum well before reaching transonic / supersonic speeds.

What also isn't understood about the vacuum pump is it vacuum's the air and compresses it at the same time.

The Mk1 pump makes this high vacuum when the rotor rim speed goes transonic / supersonic. This causes supersonic explosions and sonic booms which cause the incoming air to be turned into fast moving cold steam aka cloud.

The viscosity jumps to 85 times the viscosity of air. In effect it could be likened to fast moving treacle.

Here is a paragraph from 1909 British Patent 24,001 - IMPROVED METHOD OF IMPARTING ENERGY TO OR DERIVING ENERGY FROM A FLUID AND APPARATUS FOR USE THEREIN

"In the preceding it has been assumed that the pressure of supply is constant or continuous, but it will be understood that the operation will be, essentially, the same if the pressure be fluctuating or intermittent, as that due to explosions occurring in more or less rapid succession."

All these years people have been chasing the Tesla turbine trying to find a secret that Tesla left.

The Tesla turbine needs almost frictionless bearings to see something magical.

However the REAL SECRET is in the pump!

Build a Tesla pump with tear shaped hole discs.

The discs chop the air and make it travel at 90 degrees.

"The only artificial restraint I propose to place on the fluid is restraint in a direction at right angles or substantially at right angles to its direction of motion."

The tear shaped discs chop the air and then using the principles of adhesion and viscosity throw the air out of the volute.

The centrifugal pump is an old invention but it was Tesla that changed the impeller for a series of flat discs with tear shaped holes and ran it a transonic / supersonic speeds to realise it had magic properties.

Build a balanced pump rotor of any size and get the rim speed to transonic / supersonic speeds and you will discover Tesla's single stage self runner!

This is the machine that can run the turbine as either a turbine (diverging nozzle) or port (rotary engine).

The diverging nozzle allows the air to loose its speed to the rotor via adhesion and viscosity and finally impact on the star washers.

The port allows the air to decompress against the rotors centrifugal force producing torque.

All this time people have been chasing the turbine. There are literally 100's of Tesla turbine videos on youtube.

There are less than a dozen Tesla pumps on youtube.

There are some extremely talented motor builders on the Energetic Forum.

Building a motor capable of making a rotor go transonic / supersonic should be an easy task.

I have just rebuilt a 2hp 240v 2800rpm single phase motor. I removed the centrifugal switch and all related components. I am going to be running it using a VFD at 150hz to try and achieve 8400rpm.

My rotor is 31", 800mm so supersonic (Mach 1.0) = 8200rpm and transonic 5750rpm (Mach 0.7)

A 1" rotor would need 280,000rpm (Mach 1.0)

A 5" rotor would need 52,000rpm (Mach 1.0)

I've spent tens of thousands of pounds to figure this out for us all!

Please get building guys!

Don't worry about crazy tolerances and special materials, they are not necessary.

The rotor being balanced and the bearing alignment being good are far more important.

"Besides these, such a prime mover possesses many other advantages, both constructive and operative. It is simple, light and compact, subject to but little wear, cheap and exceptionally easy to manufacture as small clearances and accurate milling work are not essential to good performance. In operation it is reliable, there being no valves, sliding contacts or troublesome vanes. It is almost free of windage, largely dependent of nozzle efficiency and suitable for high as well as for low fluid velocities and speeds of revolution."

All you have to do is copy the shapes directly from the pump patent and make a 5 or 6 layer sheet design and bolt that together with the pump rotor as center as possible.

Even spinning the rotor by hand will make vacuum.

Then get a flexible coupling and fast motor and spin it to transonic / supersonic speed.

The sonic booms are in a partial vacuum so will be very muffled.

Enjoy!
            Last edited by soundiceuk; 01-15-2020, 12:59 PM.

Comment

• in space, no one can hear you scream

Originally posted by soundiceuk View Post
              The sonic booms are in a partial vacuum so will be very muffled.
              Loving this thread. I have an interest in this tech and have built a 180mm pump to just see how it works.

So I wanted to throw this into the mix...The speed of sound is a function of the density of the medium through which it passes. In this case, as the density decreases towards a vacuum the speed of sound must tend to zero. We all remember the quote "in space, no one can hear you scream".

Good work, soundiceuk

Comment

• Hi HuntingRoss,

Glad to hear from another builder!

You need 36,400rpm for supersonic and 25,500rpm for transonic.

If you fit a vacuum gauge to the volute you can keep an eye on the effect when the viscosity jumps 85 times that of air because the vacuum will also do the same.

You do not need a turbine attached and you can switch it off simply by blocking the inlets.

You will need the rotor balanced.

If it is wider than an inch a dynamic balance is recommended but a static balance is sufficient if less than an inch wide.

Then you need to work out how you are going to create a starter motor to fire up the machine and achieve the supersonic explosions.

When you vacuum garage shoots up to -14psi, 28.5 inches of mercury adding a turbine will make that do supersonic implosions and with a nozzle condense air into water.

With a port you have a torque monster engine.

According to my research on Tesla’s 1889 dynamo you will also have a potential difference between both axles if your pump is a different diameter to the pump.

If you have a port and nozzle the gate valve taps becoming the voltage and amperage controls and also the off switch!

Enjoy!

It would be good to see your build and I will try my best to advise.

Cheers,

Paul

PS. Here is the flywheel calculator I use for quickly calculating speeds.

343 meters per second for supersonic

240 meters per second for transonic

https://www.botlanta.org/converters/.../flywheel.html
                Last edited by soundiceuk; 08-23-2019, 02:05 PM.

Comment

• How heavy is your rotor?

Have you got a compressor?

I have found you can achieve the speed with no starter motor and by using compressed air.

My rotor is too heavy and loose fitting for this to work. For a rotor your size this can be achieved by putting air in at a tangent to the rotor.

When I get back to a pc I can upload a video and some pictures of this.

Comment

• Polycarb Tesla Turbine

Hello Soundiceuk

I'm working on a VTOL project and the Tesla Turbine is one of the sub-systems that I'm looking at to generate in-flight electricity. I made this a little over a year ago to test the principle, in theory it looks suitable, but I haven't fully developed it yet as I'm bringing all the technoologies forward, together. The driving force would be expanding liquid air.

The body O/D is 180mm I/D is 161mm. There are 10 tapered blades at 160mm O/D. Overall depth is 40mm (end plates are 10mm) all made of polycarb. The inlet is through the back plate in the side wall and feeds the cavity through a full width 20mm slot. Overall weight can't be more than a few Kg (I never weighed it) and top RPM was dissapointing which I put down to lack of attention to the surface finish of the blades and insufficient outlet capacity.

Improvements to the prototype would be steel tapered discs with improved port outlets.

Currently it runs from a standard air compressor with no plans to move to liquid air until the design is more optimised.

Comment

• Hi HuntingRoss,

Have you got any pictures, I feel I can greatly help with the design based on all our experiments.

I've already worked out Tesla's intended flying machine combustion and non combustion design.

Combine mine and Jermemiah's air bearing design with exhaust holes where the axle would go:

With my twin turbine design:

With the floating rotors it is easy to make them go supersonic.

I learnt all this from the 3 Tesla flying machine patents, the mk2 rotor patent and a few Tesla articles.

If you want to turn your pump into a motor running from supersonic explosions it sounds like you have the machine to do it already with a few tweaks.

You can email me the pictures and I can post them if you want. paultownley@rocketmail.com
                      Last edited by soundiceuk; 01-15-2020, 01:00 PM.

Comment

• Here is the new setup with new engine mounts, motor bracket, alternator bracket, pulleys and belts.

At this stage I have the single phase motor wired to the VFD using no capacitors and the internal capacitors doing their work.

I don't understand the manual for the VFD it is a XSY-AT2, I also have an XSY-AT1.

Apparently other VFDs have much more concise manuals rather than a 4 x A4 booklet.

I will be adding the capacitors back and switching to the 10 amp voltage motor controller. I remember it had much more torque.

I may get a bigger fan for cooling as it makes a lot of difference when testing.

Ideally I would find the right motor that doesn't get too hot.

Bare in mind the motor is literally a starter motor.

The secret is that the Tesla pump is in fact the simplest four stroke engine ever to exist.

Suck at the centre of the rotor

Compression along the spiral path.

Power at the periphery when the air phase changes into cloud amplifying the viscosity of the fluid to 85 times that of air.

Exhaust at the end of the volute

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow!

The secret is getting the rotor periphery speed to Mach 0.7

Tesla hid this secret very, very well.... he patented the machine as one in 20 countries. He thought he had it made! It was only the US patents that got split into turbine and pump.

The truth can be understood more clearly by reading the British Patent 24,001

https://teslauniverse.com/nikola-tes...-apparatus-use

Tesla's investor "Astor" was on board the Titanic!

The secret almost got buried that's for sure!

Now it is up to us to keep it alive!

"In the pump, the radial or static pressure, due to centrifugal force, is added to the tangential or dynamic, thus increasing the effective head and assisting in the expulsion of the fluid. In the motor, on the contrary, the first named pressure, being opposed to that of supply, reduces the effective head and the velocity of radial flow towards the center."

"A self-regulating machine is thus obtained bearing a striking resemblance to a direct current electric motor in this respect that, with great differences of impressed pressure in a wide open channel the flow of the fluid through the same is prevented by virtue of rotation. Since the centrifugal head increases as the square of the revolutions, or even more rapidly, and with modern high grade steel great peripheral velocities are practicable, it is possible to attain that condition in a single stage machine, more readily if the runner be of large diameter. Obviously this problem is facilitated by compounding, as will be understood by those skilled in the art."

With Tesla's engine the exhaust is cold as it doesn't work using friction ir uses viscosity.

This was Tesla's first "MOTOR" that got cold, not hot!

Add the turbine with port you get backwards and forwards rotation of axle that can be run at all different speeds....

Add the turbine with diverging nozzle you have mechanical alchemy, air to water!

Sounds nuts I know!! hahaha

If anyone can give me any sound advice on the VFD or motor that would be appreciated.

Likewise if anyone can donate to speed up the R&D again that would be very much appreciated.

My paypal address is soundiceuk@yahoo.co.uk

Here is the latest video......

Hopefully the next modifications will allow the magic Mach 0.7 at the periphery.

I estimate this to be 5740RPM

Last edited by soundiceuk; 01-15-2020, 01:00 PM.

Comment

• I refitted the capacitors to the single phase 2hp, 2 pole motor.

I used the 10 amp motor speed controller from v0.25 instead of the VFD.

My realisation that VFDs are best used on 3 phase motors.

I have a few issues:

1. Motor is probably not powerful enough

2. Motor is getting too hot

3. Pulley ratio is most probably too high for current motor

4. Motor controller is more suited to fan motors

Possible solutions:

1. Get a bigger HP motor

2. Get an additional cooling fan

3. Change pulley size of driver to 2.2:1 to still achieve 6000rpm

4. Use the VFD with a 3 phase motor

Here is the video. Sorry it is a little boring:

Last edited by soundiceuk; 01-15-2020, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• After giving up on the 2hp single phase motor I bought a 4hp, 2 pole, 3 phase motor and borrowed an 8" fan and found a duct and silencer lying around.

I'm now getting a new bracket fabricated for this motor. The shaft size is going up from 19mm to 28mm. I've already bought a 28mm taper lock bush ready for the 200mm pulley.

If this motor hasn't got enough power then I might have to change to a 2.2:1 ratio 132 driver and 60mm driven rather than the 3.3:1 200mm driver and 60mm driven.

Ideally I would be using one of these but my local motor dealer they wanted twice the price of a forced vent motor.

Last edited by soundiceuk; 01-15-2020, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• Here is the latest version v0.285

We have reached a new top speed 2870rpm but it is still shy of the transonic or supersonic rotor speeds needed for the phase change to occur.

I have upgraded the motor to a 4hp 3 phase 2 pole motor and added an 8" cooling fan and ducting.

The conclusion is the rotor is too heavy for the motor and bearings and I will be building an aluminium rotor this week and getting it balanced for v0.29

The aluminium rotor should weight approx 2.5 times less than the 27kg rotor. I estimate it to be around 11-12kg.

Stay tuned!

Last edited by soundiceuk; 01-15-2020, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• Here is a link to a number of genuine articles regarding this technology for anyone that is interested. Two genuine newspaper articles and also Tesla's most famous document released in Century Magazine in 1900 "The Problem of Increasing Human Energy".

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2ilywozg6...szgxTBKJa?dl=0

Comment

Working...
                                X