Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interested to see output from bigger caps

Hi all,

been playing around with the same circuitry this past few weeks using a little bigger caps and more load (the good part by having terminals and not soldered), as I have not built the higher voltage "charge pump" yet..

a little video..
    [VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgfu9gNSvT8&feature=youtu.be[/VIDEO]

Battery has been isolated by a switch into a 4700uf capacitor to test if how long would the circuit run by itself.. as expected it run down easily.. by voltage drop and of course capacitor is not a constant voltage source, but seeing it perform infront of my eyes really is great, cycling 20000uf caps, powering 11 60ma(each) bulbs + switching circuitry.. and being able to sustain it within a few seconds with such a small cap.. it isn't much I know... but to prove the concept is really worth something...

I tried to remove the load and just compare what is the difference of time it will be able to sustain it with a load, and the time with just the switching circuitry... Its even longer by a few second with a more resistive load connected..

it might have been because there is still energy left in that 20000uf capacitor.. and that might have been powering the switching more.. but still its really doing more for less and it seems my input is only for the initial charge and the switching... those 11 bulbs at 60ma each even at half powered wouldn't last even a second on that 4700uf cap..

no Overunity here.. just doing more for less..
    I'm very interested to see output from bigger capacitors or higher voltage pulses.

Comment

An excellent presentation ricards, nicely done !

Comment

a thumb up on your video !!! nice work ricards !

https://maxcdn.icons8.com/Share/icon...mbs_up1600.png
        Last edited by med.3012; 09-30-2017, 11:51 PM. Reason: the hand is very big :D

Comment

all thanks to dragon for sharing the concept

I tried to power a transformer, but could only get 2 volts (It increases by frequency), with the current setup, not sure about the current.

I'm thinking of pulsing power with higher voltage rather... as energy in caps raise more by increasing in volts (w = 0.5*C*V^2) that would make it easier for me to source for mosfet's.. as trying to find for Mosfets that can withstand the instantaneous current of supercaps would be a real challenge. the challenge of the higher voltage of course would be the risk of electrocution, and sourcing for high capacitance high voltage caps..

Comment

Hi all, thanks for sharing everyone, I'm glad folks are interested in this as it does seem promising.
            Thanks for the great video ricards, nice work with the circuitry.

I ran a test today, using a spot light i have with a 100 watt halogen bulb inside it.
            It ran the bulb continuous at low brightness and sometimes pulses brighter.
            If aimed at my face from a distance, my head gets nice and toasty.

I placed a multimeter in-line to the bulb and it peaks at around 6.5 amps, and fluctuates down to around an amp.
            I would say it is an average of maybe 2-3 amps.
            Would need a higher voltage to keep any kind of bulbs lighted brightly, though would be fine for heater coils and resistors, etc.
            I will test the bridge rectifier, connected to my boost converter and see if it can run anything, or even stay activated that is, later today.
            peace love light

Comment

Work in progress

Hi guys, nice job builders!!
              Here is a photo of the work in progress, of my mechanical switch.
              I remove the blade of a computer fan and put 2 copper strip 180deg on the rotor...

Work in progress!
              Attached Files

Comment

Oups!

It will work much better this way!!!
                Attached Files

Comment

Nice wistiti, i wonder though, if the rpm's will be too high for those large capacitors to discharge and charge balance in any significant way.
                  That is why i used a low rpm geared microwave turntable motor.
                  Will be interested to see the results.
                  peace love light

Comment

Need low frequency.

Originally posted by SkyWatcher View Post
                    Nice wistiti, i wonder though, if the rpm's will be too high for those large capacitors to discharge and charge balance in any significant way.
                    That is why i used a low rpm geared microwave turntable motor.
                    Will be interested to see the results.
                    peace love light

You are quite right Sky; this circuit need to be drive at low frequency to let the cap charge. So I forgot the motor switching and go for a 555 timer an automotive relay.

As I don't have resistive load to try with the circuit, I step up the voltage with a transformer rectify the output and charge some batt with it... I already ear people say "battery are tricky!!!" I know it and the purpose of this test is not to show mesurement of any kind.

Anyway the 555 with relay is an easy way to go!
                    https://youtu.be/2ZU7xqrC2Ek
                    Ciao!

Comment

Hi all, Hi wistiti, looking good, how is it working so far, is it charging the battery and how is it affecting the input battery.
                      peace love light

Comment

Originally posted by SkyWatcher View Post
                        Hi all, Hi wistiti, looking good, how is it working so far, is it charging the battery and how is it affecting the input battery.
                        peace love light
                        Hi Sky and all.
                        Yes it is charging the battery but it use to much amp on the primary batt. The wire become hot between the batt and the cap. I have to think of a better way to use the load between the + of the cap...

I have not push the test further but I have max out from this circuit near 2-3hz frequency of the relay.

Comment

You might be farther ahead to run a 50 or 100 watt resistive load in series with the transformer to regulate the amperage. Since the frequency is low the transformer is actually fairly inefficient at transferring energy, also, the higher voltage output isn't matched very well for charging the lower voltage batteries. If the batteries were in series to closely match the output of the transformer secondary then watt in would be closer to watt out. For instance 12 volt at 1 amp in and 120 volt at .1 amp out - both provide 12 watts... 12 volt battery charging a 120 volt battery bank. However, you could use the output to charge a cap and pulse the output into a battery thus drastically increasing the amperage into the battery. This type of charging can be tricky if not done properly.

I've done some interesting things with transformers using this basic layout. First you have to remember, as shown in the diagram, this is a purely passive device functioning on the basic RC time constant while shifting and balancing charges. When you add a coil or transformer it becomes reactive and functions as an LCR circuit. Either way it works very well but first and foremost you need to know what you want to do with the output - design it around the desired outcome.

The 12 volt circuit is an excellent starting point - learn what it does and see it for what it is.... then visualize what it could do...

I've set a focus on heating as it's one of the highest demands on energy. Lights, TV, refrigeration etc are all simple tasks that don't require a large amount of energy. Running a water heater, drying clothes and heating a home is a huge energy consumer.

Comment

learning

Thank you Dragon for your input, it is appreciate.

I go out for dinner and buy 2 x 12v 50w halogen bulb for resistive load. I will try to paralleled them with the transformer tonight. Hope to see the current draw goes down... About the RLC part (when adding a coil in the circuit) do you thought building this part of the circuit to reach resonance..? It might not be easy with the value of the component in place and the low frequency... I will also try feeding a cap and pulsing it to charging battery. The idea of Skywatcher to rectify the output to a cap and feed a dcdc converter merit also a try... The pleasure of learning by experimenting!

I have to say I also particularly like the Carl Betz hand drawing you have share (I see it was draw by Bruce Perrault). It will be interesting to see where this simple circuit can lead us with further experiments...

Again, thank you for sharing your knowledge and help!

Comment

It doesn't necessarily need to be resonant simply set up to operate within its design parameters ( i.e. 50/60 hz ). You can design for resonance, it simply boils down to what your intending as a load.

That drawing was drawn my Carl Betz in 1954, Bruce allowed Rexresearch to post it. He did re-draw it a few times on his own and there are other modified versions by Bruce on the internet.

Edit: The 12 volt 50 watt quartz halogen bulbs came in so I just connected them up in parallel and fired it up...
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by dragon; 10-02-2017, 10:54 PM.

Comment

8-0

Hi guys!
                                Wow Dragon, really impressive!!
                                Do you drive it with only 12vdc as the source (c1)??
                                It is exactly the same bulb I have buy this noon and with my setup, for the same brightness, I can only have 2 //...

You are right about the resistive load, it reduce the amp draw.
                                In my setup it is best to have the bulb (12vdc 50w) in serie with the transformer.

See the image for more details.

Ciao!

Ps: sorry for the messy setup!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X