"How to recondition batteries at home"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "How to recondition batteries at home"

I guess that many of you like me has seen commercials or links to websites selling information on how to recondition batteries.
    It exists in many forms, e.g reconditionbattery.com or similar websites.
    As usual with these types of sites, the product costs $47 but if you try to leave the site it's first reduced to $37 and then $27 if you don't leave.

Anyway, I was curious so I purchased the document.
    You get 16 documents describing how to charge different battery technologies like Li-ion, NiCd, NiMH and even alkalines apart from lead-acids.

I open the lead-acid document, skipped all the document filling (e.g. an overlong copyright section) and jumped to the interesting part, i.e. how it's done.
    The following is a short summation of the only interesting part of the whole document:

Method 1) Apply an equalizing charge to the battery
    Easy way: Use automatic equalizing mode on a (high-quality) battery charger
    Manual way:
    Step 1) Get you battery charger that does not have equalizing mode
    Step 2) Remove all electrical connections to the battery.
    Step 3) Ensure that all plates in the cells are properly covered with electrolyte fluid.
    Step 4) Connect the battery to the charger.
    Step 5) Charge the battery until it has reached a normal full charge.
    Step 6) At this stage the charge is usually automatically terminated by the charger-
    Step 7) If your charger doesn't have an equalizing mode, you should now restart the charger once the initial full charge has been reached.
    Restarting the charger can be done by disconnecting AC power and reconnecting it. This process will extend the charge tome for the battery by 1-3 hours.
    Step 8) Gassing and bubbling of the electrolyte and other side effects will occus as a result of correct equalizing.
    Step 9) During this extended charging time, you should take specific gravity readings and the true state of the battery's charge every hour using a temperature compensating hydrometer.
    Step 10) Make sure you also replace any water that is lost in the equalizing process.
    Step 11) recorde the specific gravity from each of the six cells every hour. When the specific gravity values are no longer increasing every hour and when all of the cells are gassing equally, you need to stop equalizing.
    Step 12) Next discharge the battery to 50% and recharge it the normal way. a 12V battery os discharged to 50% when the voltage is 12.20V.
    Step 13) Test is the equalizing has worked or not, If it hasn't, move to our second method.

Method 2) Add chemicals additives to the battery
    1) Magnesium sulfate or Epsom salt.
    Make a solution of 250g Epsom salt in 473ml hot water.
    Remove 473ml of electrolyte from the battery and add the Epsom solution.
    Re-seal the battery and shake it well (!) to mix the electrolytes.
    Sometimes it may take up to 10 days to fully bring the battery back to life.

Method 3) Use other desulfating methods
    Use chargers with a desulfating method.

The procedure to recondition the other technologies is very similar in a technological sense although rewritten to correct battery conditions.

In short, my review of this document is that although it's well written and technologically proper, the method is BS and not worth a single penny.
    I have a sealed lead-acid battery that won't take any charge so it's impossible to recondition with the methods mentioned.
    Luckily it was sold by Clickbank and they have a working money-back guarantee which I'm definitely going to apply for!

might want to look into EDTA
    http://www.ibiblio.org/london/altern.../20/20pg23.txt

Comment

Working...
    X