Microwave magnet as a toroid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microwave magnet as a toroid

Question: can a microwave oven magnet that is north on one side and south the other be used as a toroid for a coil to make a jewel thief or some other device?

I wish to use one for such a device, but I do not know the answer.

Can any member assist me in this question?
    Last edited by Why-me; 09-08-2016, 07:39 PM.

Here i am

Originally posted by Why-me View Post
    Question: can a microwave oven magnet that is north on one side and south the other be used as a toroid for a coil to make a jewel thief or some other device?

hello why me, probably the best thing to do first would be to go to your computer and ask the same question typed into you search engine and you should get tons of click on info. some good some bad, but that's what I do all the time.

The internet cloud now has unlimited data out there just for the asking.
    I would definitely try it and go from there.

best of luck Sir!

respectively,

Clarence

Comment

Good source for toroid cores

Hello again Why-me,

happened to think about where I get my ferrite blank cores and such and since you are going to wind yourself ( i assume) this is a GOOD place to get whatever type and size you could want.

pull it up and click on parts listings and take a good trip through them all.

Micrometals - Iron Powder Cores

try it - won't hurt!

Respects Clarence

Comment

Thank you clarence for the link. Now for the types of wire to make a jewel thief.

Hmmm... or something.

Does a microwave magnet make a good candidate for winding a coil?
        Will it work? Has anyone ever tried from any forum and had success?

Hmmmmm.....will it make a difference if it is wound clockwise or counterclockwise?
        North facing out or south?

How about maybe two paired together but apart and pole opposite each other with a shared common wire wrapping, magnet wire, with a dual cone focus at the exact center of the distance between the two magnets?

Hmmmmm.......maybe?
        Last edited by Why-me; 09-08-2016, 07:39 PM.

Comment

I would imagine that any significant current would work to demagnetise it.

There are toroids to be found in old scrapped PSUs from computers, and if I recall correctly, some in old CRT type TVs.

Comment

hi !

try to use TV YOKE , you can find it in old TV in deflection module, they work great from KHZ to a few MHZ range without problems.

Good luck

Comment

Thin Q

Thin Q to you all. So the proposed idea means a round magnet like that could maybe be used as an electric switch, with a controlled voltage, to engage some type of circuit? A back and forth movement between two points for some kind of energy gate or contact and release mechanisms?
              Could the hole be a conduit with a tube inserted for some wires or a liquid?
              Or how about neon or fluorescent tubes?
              This exercise is for your benefit.

Comment

Working...
              X