• RU Johnson (2) 0066-0067-0068-0069-0070

RU Johnson (2) 0066

ROBERT UNDERWOOD JOHNSON
    347 Madison Avenue
    New York City
    Room 1412

December 30,

Dear Tesla:

Here's a Happy New Year to you (occidental reckoning)! May all your plans and projects prosper.

We are soon to have Olivia and Robby again as part of your household, and I am very happy accordingly. He is a fine boy and she is a charmer who draws the eyes of all beholders by the gentle and dignified beauty.

Mrs Filipov had an alarming turn the other day losing consciousness three times but she is up again. We Johnson hope to last a little longer. Meanwhile be patient with them.

With all good wishes,

Yours to be sure,

R. U. J.

__________________________________________________ ______________

RU Johnson (2) 0067

8 West 40th Street,
    New York, December 31, 1919.

Robert Underwood Johnson, Esq.,
    347 Madison Avenue,
    New York City, N.Y.

My dear Johnson:

I am sorry to learn through your letter of Dec. 30th of Mrs Filipov's unsatisfactory health. If I did not know to what extent the Johnson's are abusing their digestive apparatus I would consider such signs dangerous. But I am certain that if she would observe my care in in the diet she would feel like a girl of twenty.

Thanks for the inclosures. Your fine poem is appreciated but there is nothing as usual in the clipping you have forwarded. If you ever read an announcement from me you can bank on it.

With best wishes for a prosperous New Year, I remain, as ever

Faithfully yours,

RU Johnson (2) 0068

ROBERT UNDERWOOD JOHNSON
    New York
    347 Madison Ave.,
    January 6, 1920.

Dear Tesla:

Thank you for your nice letter and your good wishes. I thought of you yesterday on Old Christmas but couldn't write you, Mrs Filipov is better.

You will be interested to know that the Serbian Minister has just informed me that I am to be made Commander of the order of St. Sliva by Prince Rejean Alexander, a distinction which I haven't done much to ---, I fear. I suppose it --- back to the 'Paraphrases”.

The year 1916 brought me several other honors:

Commander of Corona d'Italia
    Officer of Leopold II
    Director of Hall of Fame
    Author of “Collected Poems”
    Recipient of nice letters from Nikola Tesla.

Yours faithfully,

R. U. Johnson's

RU Johnson (2) 0069

8 W. 40 St., New York, Jan 6, 1920

Robert Underwood Johnson, Esq.,
    327 Lexington Avenue, -Room 1412
    City.

My dear Luka:

Your kind letter of even date is a further evidence that you still consider me worthy of your friendship.

The Serbians would have thought of you before had they not been so very busy for the past few years. You must pardon them the seeming neglect.

I am glad you are enjoying these distinctions. If I had any to bestow, I would send you a bucketful of them. My citizen papers are good enough for me.

Hoping that Mrs. Filipov is minding my prescription and will continue to improve. I am as everybody
    Yours faithfully,

RU Johnson (2) 0070

AMERICAN ACADEMY OF ARTS AND LETTERS
    Office of the
    PERMANENT SECRETARY
    347 Madison Avenue
    New York

Jan. 10th, 1920

Dear Tesla:

Yes a certificate of citizenship is a fine honor, but ought you not to value more highly your birth certificate? If there has been no occasion for that, where shall you be now?

As for me, I should rather write a good poem than have that bushel of decorations which you would bestow – especially if it were a paraphrase from another one of your translations for the Serbian.

Good luck to you!

Faithfully yours,

R. U. Johnson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeYscnFpEyA

Comment

• RU Johnson (2) RU 0071-0072-0073-0074-0075

RU Johnson (2) 0071

January 27, 1920.

CENTURY CLUB
      7 WEST FORTY-THIRD STREET

Dear Tesla:

I have been compelled today to sell (sacrifice) some Government bonds at a little over 91 in order to pay for the edition of my “Collected poems” just issued for me by the Yale University press.

So when Prosperity strikes your trail, remember

Yours faithfully,

R. U. Johnson.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

RU Johnson (2) 0072

Skipped can't read most of it.

RU Johnson (2) 0073

ROBERT UNDERWOOD JOHNSON
      347 Madison Avenue
      New York City
      Room 1412

March 17, 1920.

To Whom It May Concern:

Mr. Robert Underwood Johnson, on the eve of his departure for his official post in Rome, respectfully informs you that he has given power of attorney in all his affairs to his son-in-law, Mr. Frank H. Holden, 56 West 45th street. Correspondence concerning Mr. Johnson's various activities may be addressed to his Assistant and Secretary, Mrs. William Vanamee, 347 Madison avenue, Telephone, Vanderbilt, 5518.

Nikola Tesla, Esq.,
      8 West 40th street,
      New York, N. Y.

RU Johnson (2) 0074 (Post Card Front)

RU Johnson (2) 0075 (Post Card Back)

Rome, Dec. 10. 1920.

Dear Tesla:

We don't forget you way off there in God's Country, and here are our best greetings for the New Year. We give a dinner at one o'clock on Christmas to the Embassy staff and shall think of you , & many happy Christmas in the past with you. We hope all goes well with you. We are all well including the lovely Olivia.

Your forgotten but nonforgetting,

R.U.J.

18741 Edit. Brunnet & Co., Como.

Attached Files

Comment

• RU Johnson (2) 0076-0077-0078-0079-0080

RU Johnson (2) 0076

327 Lexington Ave
        Nov. 26. 1922.

Dear Tesla:

I am writing my memoirs which --- Brown & Co. of Boston are to publish next fall. The “Copy” is to be ready May 1 and there is much --- to be written.

I should consider myself a poltroon if, in addition to speaking of those who are not living, I should omit to speak of certain persons of importance not in that category. I can testify to certain facts con- …

__________________________________________________ _______________

RU Johnson (2) 0077

… cerning your work but I lack some dates and details for instance. I was both amused and indignant to see that Steinmetz and the new --- did not give you credit for sending a million volts through my precious body at your laboratory years and years ago!

Will you not come down and dine with us and pretend we are friends and give me a chance to talk over the past in the light of my remembrances. If so we'll arrange a day with you that will be convenient.

Mrs. Filipov sends her …

RU Johnson (2) 0078

… love and I am as always,

Faithfully yours,

R. U. F. “Luka”

RU Johnson (2) 0079

Hotel St-Regis
        New York

Dear Tesla:

I am sorry to find you in as I dislike to leave this precious volume to the danger of being mislaid. If you look through it you will see what makes it precious – not my poem “In Tesla's Laboratory”, not the paraphrases from the Serbian after Tesla's translations but the autographs of Joffre, Foch Diaz Orlando Joethals of --- Clemenceau Orlando Joethals Paderewoski, Verrizelos Chambrain & others, each at an appropriate place. Will you be a good boy and write your name either --- the laboratory (p.116) or on page 133 under your printed name. When I get --- …

RU Johnson (2) 0080

… I shall have it re-bound by Stilleman in fine style.

Will you wrap the book and address it to me and leave it at the desk so that I may call for it before long.

And will you send back with it read or unread my reminiscences of you and I'll print the errors as they stand and take the consequences.

When are you coming to dine with us and pretend that we are old friends? I am engaged for the 21, 22 and 27 but Mrs. Filipov will arrange date.

I am again a grandfather – for the 10th time --- Patricia Johnson having been born February 6 without the slightest contretemps Owen and his wife are happy and so are we. ...

Comment

• RU Johnson (2) 0081-0082-0083-0084-0085

RU Johnson (2) 0081

Yours to be sure,
          R. U. J. Filipov

Sunday
          February 18

Is it time that the French have captured in the Ruhr a lot of infringements on your patents?

__________________________________________________ ____________

RU Johnson (2) 0082

March 5, 1923.

Hotel St-Regis
          New York

Dear Tesla:

Thank you for the return of the volume and for writing in it.

One more trifling request. Have you any of the group photographs taken in your laboratory by your light in the old days – of Mark Twain and Crawford …

RU Johnson (2) 0083

… and you and me and others? And would you let me see there with a view to getting one for my memoirs which must be finished May 1 and for which I am collecting illustrative material now?

I am sorry you did not know the lovely woman to whom we said farewell this morning. Poor Owen is certainly unfortunate.

Benedictions on you from yours to be sure,

R. U. Johnson Filipov

RU Johnson (2) 0084

March 3 1924.

327 LEXINGTON AVENUE

Dear Nikola:

This is to inform you that you no longer occupy first place among our Croatian friends- Tesla. Termina. PUPIN etc. That place has been taken by Balokovich a fine artist and a lovely fellow who answers letters and isn't “Stuck up” above his old friends who are tottering toward …
          You are very difficile.

RU Johnson (2) 0085

… the grave, and to whom some persons will only give a passing thought when they are gone. “Johnson? Mrs Johnson? It seems to me I once heard that name somewhere”.

I hope you don't object to the way I have spoken of the great --- one Pupin in my chapter on you in my “Remember Yesterday”. Don't you think it was …

Comment

• RU Johnson (2) 0081 to 0090

RU Johnson (2) 0081

Yours to be sure,
            R. U. J. Filipov

Sunday
            February 18

Is it time that the French have captured in the Ruhr a lot of infringements on your patents?

__________________________________________________ _________________

RU Johnson (2) 0082

March 5, 1923.

Hotel St-Regis
            New York

Dear Tesla:

Thank you for the return of the volume and for writing in it.

One more trifling request. Have you any of the group photographs taken in your laboratory by your light in the old days – of Mark Twain and Crawford …

RU Johnson (2) 0083

… and you and me and others? And would you let me see there with a view to getting one for my memoirs which must be finished May 1 and for which I am collecting illustrative material now?

I am sorry you did not know the lovely woman to whom we said farewell this morning. Poor Owen is certainly unfortunate.

Benedictions on you from yours to be sure,

R. U. Johnson Filipov

RU Johnson (2) 0084

March 3 1924.

327 LEXINGTON AVENUE

Dear Nikola:

This is to inform you that you no longer occupy first place among our Croatians friends- Tesla. Termina. PUPIN etc. That place has been taken by Balokovich a fine artist and a lovely fellow who answers letters and isn't “Stuck up” above his old friends who are tottering toward …
            You are very difficile.

RU Johnson (2) 0085

… the grave, and to whom some persons will only give a passing thought when they are gone. “Johnson? Mrs Johnson? It seems to me I once heard that name somewhere”.

I hope you don't object to the way I have spoken of the great --- one Pupin in my chapter on you in my “Remember Yesterday”. Don't you think it was …

RU Johnson (2) 0086

… generous of me considering that his autobiography is a rival of my memoirs?

I have just had a portrait of myself painted at the request of my artist, who like permission to paint you. It was finished in four --- & there is so much less of you that he could probably do you in two and a half!! I think mine very good but of course …

RU Johnson (2) 0087

… you are very difficile.

Have you seen the Lincoln film at the --- theatre 46th and Broadway? If not do go some night when you are --- for cinemas.

And go hear your compatriot(?) at the National Theatre next Sunday night. I am giving him my poems for your(.our) “paraphrases”. In the future the great name of Croatia will be Balopripinovich; and not Teslavich.

Your formerly devoted friend,

Luka J. Filipov

RU Johnson (2) 0088

Mr. Nikola Tesla
            The St Regis Hotel
            City

RU Johnson (2) 0089

Johnson March 5 1923

… have you any of the –- photographs --- in your laboratory by your light in the old days of Mark Twain and Crawford and yours --- --- --- --- ---? …

RU Johnson (2) 0090

8,300 7,600
            +5810 500
            14, 110 350
            -8,730 280
            5,380 8730

Comment

• I hope this thread get some updates, excellent work!

Anyone know how i can do a search in this topic?
              I tried the search function.. but no luck so far.

I'm looking for the translation where Tesla orders a French book about wireless communication.
              I'm sure i've read it in here.. but can't find it anymore.

Any suggestions?

tnX

Comment

• G.Scherff 210 is the first mention, 238 the next, then 246 and finally 267.

I have put the verified transcripts together in one document that can easily be searched.
                That was the whole idea behind this project.
                Unfortunately I haven't had much time lately and the verification takes quite a lot of time too.
                It is great to see the project gets support from a number of people, especially Michelinho who has so far done by far the most transcripts.

I hope to have some time again to catch up with Michel but if someone else wants to do some collecting, formatting and verfification work.... by all means!!

Ernst.

Comment

• Almost 2 years have passed and finally I have managed to create a first publication out of these transcripts.
                  It concerns only a small subset: the letters to and from J.P. Morgan sr.
                  These together with a few related letters, articles and some context have now been put together in a small booklet that can be bought on Amazon.

I believe it provides a unique insight into what happened at that time and how it was experienced by those directly involved.

Please have a look and know that with your purchase you are supporting my project to revive Tesla's dream!
                  (Also, if you buy this book, please leave an honest and hopefully positive review on amazon)

Once I have sold a few books I plan to order some for myself as promotion material and one for Michelinho and Jeff Pearson if you'd PM me a delivery address!

Ernst.

Comment

Working...
                  X