Clear All

• TinMan's magnets doing the impossible [useful work]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhLlI8gclZQ

thx for looking

Chet K
    If you want to Change the world
    BE that change !!

Hi Chet

yes Tinman is an incredible good maker. Thank's to him for sharing.

And this one is a winner because it is understandable and almost surely greatly improvable.

For sure i will replicate ASAP.

Laurent

Comment

Hi grum

Fantastic work bravo

just 2 questions

first
      It seems that when the plate enters in attraction with the outer fixed magnet, the acceleration is very low.
      Is it perhaps because your plate is too massive to be accelerated by your small magnet and does not get the necessary momentum ?

second
      In Brad configuration , when the plate leave the Dead center, the 2 magnets are organized to be in repulsion before the axle of the crank passes its dead center . And i think this moment is the most important timing point on this machine.
      And on your design (video 5) it seems on the contrary , that the crank axle passes the dead center before the repulsion of the 2 magnets?

Just my 2 cents by observing the videos, i don't know if it is important but just a consideration.

Good luck to you

Laurent

Comment

i don't know if it is important but just a consideration.
        Hi Woopy, very important IMHO
        artv

Comment

Hi Chet Grum and Shylo

some time ago Stefan Hartman (Hartiberlin at OU) has made an english traduction of a video of Lueling permanent magnet motor from 1960.

It seems that the video is very relevant concerning Brad's design.

Lueling uses 2 quarter of a drum (plate ) and Brad uses 1/2 drum

https://youtu.be/Lks8N-_dQLs

What do you think ?

Laurent

Comment

Originally posted by woopy View Post
            Hi grum

Fantastic work bravo

just 2 questions

first
            It seems that when the plate enters in attraction with the outer fixed magnet, the acceleration is very low.
            Is it perhaps because your plate is too massive to be accelerated by your small magnet and does not get the necessary momentum ?

second
            In Brad configuration , when the plate leave the Dead center, the 2 magnets are organized to be in repulsion before the axle of the crank passes its dead center . And i think this moment is the most important timing point on this machine.
            And on your design (video 5) it seems on the contrary , that the crank axle passes the dead center before the repulsion of the 2 magnets?

Just my 2 cents by observing the videos, i don't know if it is important but just a consideration.

Good luck to you

Laurent
            Dear Laurent.

Many thanks for your compliments and observations .

Brad did mention via PM that I had deviated a little from his concept, hence the use of the word " tangential " !

It is a work in progress, domesticity has had to come first. I agree that there's probably more mass to the rotor than is necessary, so for starters I'm going to remove the unused portion of the G.O.E.S. above the centreline.

The next job will be to create a linear action of the moving magnet against the con rod. Brad used a very long swing arm that reduced the ellipse to a minimum. I was looking for a neater approach with all the " gubbins " under the bonnet, so to speak. This approach, however, created a greater arc of the moving magnet.
            I have now thought of a way to get the con rod moving in a linear manner borrowed from the early steam engines, a half trunk guide but using a ball race to reduce friction.

Spare time is rather scarce ATM, I will try to improve the device as and when.

Kind regards, Grum.

Comment

Thank you

Laurent
              Thanks for sharing Stefan's translation of the Lueling.

it certainly needs more eyes on it.

started a Topic here also

Stefan translates the Lueling magnet motor Video

respectfully
              Chet K
              If you want to Change the world
              BE that change !!

Comment

Hi Woopy,
                Did you notice the spring loaded piece of steel at 5.08 and again at the end.
                That is how I've been trying to neutralize the sticky spot.
                Thanks for this video ,I believe it is authentic and reaffirms that I'm on the right track.
                artv

Comment

Hi Shylo

yes i have notice the spring which IMHO should probably help the steel shielding to move around the magnet the more freely as possible, so almost no energy is taken from the shaft to activate the shielding.
                  I am trying now some systems to get this free movement, but it is not so easy at all.
                  Any ideas ?
                  I am also trying to study Brad's device. I wonder if Brad design would spin with the electric prime mover disconnected ? (I mean self running as Grum is trying to do).
                  And if not , is the prime mover acting as a helper for the shield to pass the sticky point ? And in this case , what mixture organizes the decrease of current ?
                  Good luck to all

Laurent

Comment

The spring has to match the strength of the magnet I think?
                    Isn't it just about changing the sticky spot?
                    The spring will add drag but , If the throw -out of the magnet is stronger..
                    Still trying.
                    artv

Comment

FRIGGING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X