No announcement yet.

Motor Generators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you Turion. I've been looking at your videos and appreciate the amount of time and money you've put in.
    You find time to give detailed replies and you've been hard at it with the work on your house too.
    What I've found is the necessity to do a huge amount of research before investing in hardware in order to get the best value and performance.

Comment

• Next video
      https://youtu.be/SCdoFRVhsyw

Fixed it. Sorry.
      Last edited by Turion; 02-25-2021, 06:42 AM.
      “Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers.”
      —Bernhard Haisch, Astrophysicist

Comment

• Well, the video is no longer available, Mr Dave, but very interesting what you say about core heating and the search for solutions.

But there is also heating in the repulsive magnets, when operating the generator project, and testing with the support magnets to reduce the core-magnet drag, the magnets get hot, I have not carried out more tests, I do not know how much they could affect to the generator, it's a matter of continuing with more tests, I don't know if you Mr. Dave already foresaw it
        Last edited by alexelectric; 02-25-2021, 05:26 AM.

Comment

• I didn’t foresee the opposition magnets getting hot. I didn’t see it when running the generator only 20 minutes at a time. Thats a really BIG problem. I guess I have some experimenting to do. Been thinking of ways to use the rotor to do some air cooling. But I will leave all that up to those with experience.
          Last edited by Turion; 02-25-2021, 06:59 AM.
          “Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers.”

Comment

• Losses.
            Consequently, windage – which is the displacement of air by any rotating components in the motor – tends to be one of the larger contributors to total losses. For example, a motor that loses just 10 W to windage at 1,000 RPM will lose 80 W at 2,000 RPM, 640 W at 4,000 RPM, 5,120 W at 8,000 RPM, etc. This rapid worsening of efficiency from windage losses acts as a powerful counterbalance to the otherwise tempting prospect of squeezing more power out of a motor by operating it at a higher RPM.

Comment

• Turion, look at the windage losses, You've got axial flux with a decent diameter of your rotor which will give a respectable peripheral speed. The best results for you should be in the 1500 rpm bracket, at higher speeds you'll have watts galore down the drain.

Comment

• Originally posted by Quantum_well View Post
                Losses.
                Consequently, windage – which is the displacement of air by any rotating components in the motor – tends to be one of the larger contributors to total losses. For example, a motor that loses just 10 W to windage at 1,000 RPM will lose 80 W at 2,000 RPM, 640 W at 4,000 RPM, 5,120 W at 8,000 RPM, etc. This rapid worsening of efficiency from windage losses acts as a powerful counterbalance to the otherwise tempting prospect of squeezing more power out of a motor by operating it at a higher RPM.
                interesting note about A motor. A motor is THE motor of engineered choice. In a conventional motor these figures may apply under the perfect conditions. THESE motors have been reviewed 200 years and OUR motors have never reached the public domain for review. So far all we hear is this old design applies to the new which is totally wrong as per usual.

Your thought is for induction motors and a PMM has a different set of rules for a universal motor. These standard motors are all far different from one another and the EE Handbook has all of the presets. In fact most EE guys end up using a very few pages out of the handbook to design a specific product and this is the extent of their work for 10-20 year before changing.

Until physics is rewritten for intelligent life on earth we can not assume.

This is why the science dept can not see outside to other possible forms of construction. Unless the preset values are agreed upon by the top level governing body, the little Indians plugging in computer models all day can not proceed.

I know how to work a dictionary and a thesaurus also but who can commit them all to memory? Entire teams create handbook rules, all inside the oil industry controlled plantation.

good luck with that.
                Last edited by BroMikey; 02-25-2021, 05:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by alexelectric View Post

But there is also heating in the repulsive magnets, when operating the generator project, and testing with the support magnets to reduce the core-magnet drag, the magnets get hot, I have not carried out more tests,

yes I have been doing tests using repulsive magnets. On a small unit like mine only slightly warm for 2 low power magnets. The force pushing against will cause friction if not perfectly tuned. Many variables still exists for rotor magnet placement and spacing. If one set of magnets is to close to the other set they may conflict.

Can you post a picture?
                  Last edited by BroMikey; 02-25-2021, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• Quantum,
                    I understand what you are saying, and building something with as little loss as possible is always the goal. But I am looking at this from a system perspective rather than just a generator perspective. If I put in X watts and only get out 5X instead of 6X because I am using air cooling, I can live with that until something better comes along. I’ve even thought about holes all the way through the core that allow generated by the rotor to pass through the core and cool it. Because this machine does not have to abide by all the restrictions placed on normal machines to achieve “efficiency” you can come at problems from a different direction sometimes. It

Comment

• Originally posted by BroMikey View Post

yes I have been doing tests using repulsive magnets. On a small unit like mine only slightly warm for 2 low power magnets. The force pushing against will cause friction if not perfectly tuned. Many variables still exists for rotor magnet placement and spacing. If one set of magnets is to close to the other set they may conflict.

Can you post a picture?
                      I give more details, of how I have the configuration, six magnets of 2 inches in diameter, by three quarters of an inch, installed in the rotor, these same generating magnets I use as repellants, the magnet that is in the stator that serves to avoid drag , it has a measurement, 20 mm x 20 mm x 10 mm, it is square, as you can see there is a big difference between these magnets, so I think that is why there was some heat in the small magnet, for now it is what I have as a rotor, I have to configure a new rotor and with symmetrical magnets.

Having the proper configuration, you would no longer have that heating, it would be insignificant

Comment

• Before you totally poo poo my ideas you've got to realise that the same rules are going to apply to your generators. Excess speed will cost you.

Comment

• IMG-20210225-WA0000.jpg ​​​​​
                          Fishlegs and a couple of other lambs going for a walk with grandkids.

Comment

• Quantum,
                            I’m paying attention. The main reason I wanted a better working prototype was as a test bed for many of these things. Speed can also take me right past the “neutral zone” on my coils and you should see the motor take a five when THAT happens.

Comment

• Turion, You've got a decent amount of money but you don't waste it do you? Well, treat your motor generator the same way, best practice will pay off in the long run.
                              My main interest has been in small wind projects where axial flux is appropriate in so far as you get high efficiency at moderate speed. For me an efficiency of somewhere in the mid 70's isn't too shabby so what you're talking about is in a whole different ball park!

Comment

• I've just seen your previous message and I see your point about the magic 5. I'm just trying to describe what my own experience has shown me.

Comment

Working...
                                X