Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BroMikey View Post

No, have you? Tell us about it. PLZ

It's soft magnetic iron Mikey. Its' small particle size minimizes eddy current loss.

I am not a motor builder, at least not on Dave's scale. I have a solid state energy transfer project that I bought this for testing the difference between air core and iron core and to have control of the inductance without having to position a ferrite rod.

Comment

• Pendulum

Yes, OrionLightShip, satisfied smiles the world over attests to your observation.

Concerning the Soft Iron powder, I have no direct experience with it, but I have in the past used paramagnetic "dirt." I added a thin glue and filled cores of coils for Bedini energizers. It gave me something like an air core's quick action as it did not hold the magnetism after the magnet had passed. I ran my small 6 coil machine (I added 3 more coils to one of Rick Friedrich's 3PM machines with its very small coils) at over 10,000rpm. I think that if you mix the Soft Iron with a resin that it will reduce the air that welding rods have in the core. The air creates heat because it gets energized and hits against the rods as it bounces around. I think this is one of the reasons that ferrite is cooler because it has no air inside.

Alexelectric, thanks...I'll keep playing with it and keep ya'll informed. One problem with collecting data is that I am running it off of solar which is inconsistent AND it stops every night (don't know why...its a mystery ).

Take care,

Bob

Comment

• Originally posted by BobFrench View Post
        Pendulum

Concerning the Soft Iron powder, I have no direct experience with it, but I have in the past used paramagnetic "dirt." I added a thin glue and filled cores of coils for Bedini energizers. It gave me something like an air core's quick action as it did not hold the magnetism after the magnet had passed. I ran my small 6 coil machine (I added 3 more coils to one of Rick Friedrich's 3PM machines with its very small coils) at over 10,000rpm. I think that if you mix the Soft Iron with a resin that it will reduce the air that welding rods have in the core. The air creates heat because it gets energized and hits against the rods as it bounces around. I think this is one of the reasons that ferrite is cooler because it has no air inside.

Bob
        Those R60 rods are more like the steel laminates in that they contain Silicon in higher levels. The Silicon in laminates is to reduce the conductivity to reduce eddy currents, however, compare a 3/32 rod to the thickness of those laminates designed for 60 Hz. They are much thicker. If you run multiple magnets at a high RPM your frequency is way above 60 Hz, more like 300 to 500 Hz. You have a lot of eddy current loss in those rods which is where the heat really comes from. Soft Iron powder eliminates those problems. If you use a binder like microcellulose and compact it with a hydraulic press then you have something that would be the best. Soft iron also has low losses due to Remanence. It switches polarity easily as the magnet passes by. Ferrites may be better, I don't know except they are normally used at really high frequencies like in DC to DC converters run at a couple hundred thousand Hz.

My research is at high frequencies but not high enough to warrant the use of ferrites; so I'll be trying this powder. I was just hoping to find someone who used it.

Orion

Comment

• Originally posted by OrionLightShip View Post

It's soft magnetic iron Mikey. Its' small particle size minimizes eddy current loss.

I am not a motor builder, at least not on Dave's scale. I have a solid state energy transfer project that I bought this for testing the difference between air core and iron core and to have control of the inductance without having to position a ferrite rod.
          Was there a reduction in heat also as compared to iron? Or what evidence did you collect? Continue, I am listening.

Originally posted by OrionLightShip View Post

Those R60 rods are more like the steel laminates in that they contain Silicon in higher levels. The Silicon in laminates is to reduce the conductivity to reduce eddy currents, however, compare a 3/32 rod to the thickness of those laminates designed for 60 Hz. They are much thicker. If you run multiple magnets at a high RPM your frequency is way above 60 Hz, more like 300 to 500 Hz. You have a lot of eddy current loss in those rods which is where the heat really comes from. Soft Iron powder eliminates those problems. If you use a binder like microcellulose and compact it with a hydraulic press then you have something that would be the best.

Orion
          Last edited by BroMikey; 01-21-2020, 11:09 PM.

Comment

• OrionLightShip,

What I would be interested in is core that switches polarity as slow as iron, but doesn't heat up. The slower it switches, the lower the speed necessary for a coil to speed up under load as in Dave's generator.

Bob

Comment

• Originally posted by BobFrench View Post
              OrionLightShip,

What I would be interested in is core that switches polarity as slow as iron, but doesn't heat up. The slower it switches, the lower the speed necessary for a coil to speed up under load as in Dave's generator.

Bob
              I think iron is iron Bob. I said it switches easier. What I should have said is that it switches with less magnetic energy loss.
              If you don't get enough phase shift to work like Dave's coils you could always make the core longer with the coil shifted back on the core.
              Last edited by OrionLightShip; 01-22-2020, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Was there a reduction in heat also as compared to iron? Or what evidence did you collect? Continue, I am listening.

I haven't used iron powder in a motor nor have I compared it to welding rods. The information I presented is easily found online.

Orion

Comment

I haven't used iron powder in a motor nor have I compared it to welding rods. The information I presented is easily found online.

Orion
                  Okay I see, what I was hoping to hear about was any verification first hand heard in the grapevine. I hear all manner of claims online but validation is needed. Also you mentioned 500hz and I have rarely seen any oscillators run this slow.

Comment

Okay I see, what I was hoping to hear about was any verification first hand heard in the grapevine. I hear all manner of claims online but validation is needed. Also you mentioned 500hz and I have rarely seen any oscillators run this slow.
                    if you go back and read my post you will find this is concerning 500 Hz.

If you run multiple magnets at a high RPM your frequency is way above 60 Hz, more like 300 to 500 Hz.
                    While I was talking to Bob about motors with multiple magnets flying past coils, an Oscillator can go as slow as you may desire. Ever hear of a 60Hz inverter?

Orion

Comment

• Yevgeny Khomyak (Ukraine): this video shows the device and connection of the vyrdudji BTG system that I developed. In the next video, I will clearly show all the input and output parameters of this BTG (self-propelled motor).
                      Author's website: https://vyrdudji.com/
                      The next video will tell you about the parameters and features.

Comment

Ever hear of a 60Hz inverter?

Orion
                        Yeah you are right. You got any data or experience with soft iron core material? No? Yes, just asking. The reason I bring this up in this way is because it is hard to make the right number core out of a lump of dough pressed together with micro spheres and short filaments.
                        Mixing is critical to make a uniform part the same each time it is cast. This is what
                        I was hoping to hear about. You know, the process you might have? I guess not then, okay. I have not done that either. Dang and I was hoping someone did.

Another thing peeps think is iron is good enough but some of these cans you buy have a mixture of the needed other metals as well. Dave just posted a can of that stuff somewhere. It looks like iron dust but it is much much more than meets the eye.

There is a number associated with frequency for each mix when produced correctly.
                        Last edited by BroMikey; 01-22-2020, 10:00 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rakarskiy View Post

Thanks, smart people. I am waiting.

Comment

• Hello
                            one can also take iron filament.
                            Greeting
                            Lota

Comment

• Originally posted by Rakarskiy View Post

Clearly a lot of work and money went into this but without English translation.... I have no clue

Comment

• Hello
                                he has the files on his website. With a 3D printer, it's relatively easy to build it. But it's not certain how much energy comes out. It is basically a 2phase brush lees motor. But 3-6 Watt output is too little.

Greeting
                                Lota

Comment

Working...
                                X