Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My plan

My 19.5awg arrive to day. I'm able to wind the P56 frame twice with 5kgs

Winding the Imperial is not a sprint. It's a marathon! Time to prep the Imperial P56 frame and find my tools!

Keep it Clean and Green
    Midaz
    Last edited by Midaztouch; 06-29-2016, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• The singular coil wind is very efficient for winding space.
      34 wind turns of 19.5 AWG leaves a lot of space for more turns.

40 turns seem possible with 19.5 AWG.
      (Contact brushes energizing 2 "overlapping" coils is 80 turns)

Or

36 turns of 19 AWG might work also.
      (Contact brushes energizing 2 "overlapping" coils is 72 turns)

Anyway you look at it, the magnetic field from the coils would be strong... pretty descent torque

Keep it Clean and Green
      Midaz

Gone for the weekend. Maybe wind some more by next Wednesday.
      Enjoy you weekend
      Last edited by Midaztouch; 05-20-2016, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• Hope you had a great weekend too!

I had some time today to connect the 7 coils I winded to the commutators and check for a strong connection with a multi-meter. Tapping in the 16awg splint in the the commutator grooves can be a little nerve racking at times but it's necessary for easy rewind and repairs.

The 1st all north singular coil and the 8th coil share the same 8th armature groove/(valley). They are both energized at the same time. The 1st coil produces a north field and the 8th coil uses the reverse polarity for a south field. The currents from both coils are flowing in the same direction when they meet at the 8th groove for a clear path for induction. The Imperial P56 has 4 magnet stators, 4 inputs and 28 armature poles. Using the 1st coils as a reference point, the 1st, 8th, 15th & 22nd singular coils would all be energize at the same time and would create a clear path for induction in unison/harmony with adjacent coils.

Busy week. Will try to find some time to wind

Keep it Clean and Green
        Midaz
        Last edited by Midaztouch; 05-24-2016, 10:54 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Midaztouch View Post
          Hope you had a great weekend too!

I had some time to day to connect the 7 coils I winded to the commutators and check for a strong connection with a multi-meter. Tapping in the 16awg splint in the the commutator groves can be a little nerve racking at times but it's necessary for easy rewind and repairs.

The 1st all north singular coil and the 8th coil share the same 8th armature groove/(valley). They are both energized at the same time. The 1st coil produces a north field and the 8th coil uses the reverse polarity for a south field. The currents are flowing in the same direction from both coils when they meet at the 8th groove for a clear path for induction. The imperial has 4 magnet stators, 4 inputs and 28 armature poles. Using the 1st coils as a reference point, the 1st, 8th, 15th & 22nd singular coils would all be energize at the same time and would create a clear path for induction in unison/harmony with adjacent coils.

Busy week. Will try to find some time to wind

Keep it Clean and Green
          Midaz
          Check your mail......

Comment

• Turns with 19.5 AWG

Imperial with 40 turns of 19.5awg can be done without too much worry. Just pack the coil down every 10 turns.

Hint: Keep the outsides of the first coil that are NOT in the armature poles grooves very loose!

Keep it Clean and Green
            Midaz
            Last edited by Midaztouch; 06-29-2016, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• Some of you guys have brilliant designs for different types of motors & gens. Yes, of course, I want info.

But here's the thing...

I paid for the P56 motor frame. Tesla's dual commutator design is all that I have to work with and I like the design. At this point, I'm showing magnetic harmony throughout the motor, starting from the magnetic fields that never interfere or mix with one another. Down to the steel laminate's magnetic domaines having only one polarity when energized. Dropping down the amps to the lowest possible state through the proper timing adjustment (thank you 3pole!) & wire resistance, while keeping the RPMS and Torque. Pointing out the points that induction occurs. Why I chose the wire gauge, how to wind. Etc...

Please feel free to speak up about the A1MoGen anytime.

Keep it Clean and Green
              Midaz
              Last edited by Midaztouch; 06-29-2016, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• 3hrs working on the A1MoGen

More than halfway completed. I've used 36turns per singular coil. As you can see from the pic, there is plenty of room for extra turns. This is my 6th time to wind the Imperial P56. For me, I could probably wind 42 - 44 turns of 19.5 AWG. The hardest part is the wire build up between the commutator and the edge of the armature. The way the two commutators fit on the shaft is uneven. (Hey, we're using parts not designed for two comms.)

Just for winding purposes, I would prefer to wind with 18.5 AWG or 19 AWG. Both gauges will get the job done but the thicker the wire, the easier winding for space/less turns.

With a machine wind, I believe you can reach the proper amount of turns with the right tension on the wire.

Keep it Clean and Green
                Midaz
                Attached Files

Comment

• Long day!

Wanted to finish the A1MoGen today but I'm down to the last 7 coils to wind! Sometimes you just have to walk away when your energy and concentration are running low! Your winding might get messy. You start taking off turns to tidy up the mess, THEN you forget what count you were on! Must start all over from the beginning AGAIN! Or you just forget if you were on 30 turns, Or was it 25 turns. *hit! Have to start all over again!... Doing that twice is enough to drive you nuts!

Im happy with the progress so far. As you know, the timing of the 7 armature pole wind starts slightly at TDC on the first pole in rotation.
                  Starting gives you 3 poles on repulse mode
                  Before it disconnects, 3 poles on attract mode.
                  I think this will give me good torque at low and high speeds.
                  At low speed the repulse mode is slightly dominate
                  At high speed the attract mode will be dominant.
                  The A1MoGen should be relaxed at times with this timing set up.

Here's the break down when two energized coils are are in contact with a brush.
                  Start...
                  1st pole is slightly before TDC 36 turns of 19.5 AWG.

2nd pole has 72 turns
                  3rd pole has 72 turns
                  4th pole has 72 turns
                  5th pole has 72 turns
                  6th pole has 72 turns
                  7th pole has 72 turns

End... 8th pole (1st pole of new coil, repeat winding protocol count) slightly before TDC, has 36 turns. The magenetic N & S fields mix for a half of a comm segment ... Just a split second.
                  (I thought that was the only "Gray Area" but I'm fine with it.)

I'm really looking forward to finding out the rpms at 12volts. I'll guess, around 1200 RPMs. The Max RPMs that I would need is 3400 rpms for my EV motorcycle.

Keep it Clean and Green
                  Midaz

Singular Coil winds are very efficient for winding space. Maybe you can achieve around 1.0 Ohms with 18.5 AWG.
                  Last edited by Midaztouch; 06-02-2016, 01:10 AM.

Comment

• Hi Midaz,

Keep up the good work. I learned a long time ago that all bullies are really cowards at heart. They are like a little dog yapping and yapping trying to pretend they are a big dog. The final proof is the results and we both know how that ended. NO RESULTS! Except for a lot of frustrated people that wasted a lot of money on motors.

I am looking forward to your testing of your design. At least you are honest and say what you are hoping for but don't make claims for something unproven.

Take care,
                    Carroll
                    Just because someone disagrees with you does NOT make them your enemy. We can disagree without attacking someone.

Comment

• Lead acid 12v @36amps

19.5 AGW @ 36 turns

Max rpms = 670

Continuous Run time = 3hr ... Ending test RPMs = 625

Don't have proper test equipment. But, I can show a quick vid of my applying my body weight, as hard as I can, trying to stall the motor.

24v = 1400rpms

Comment

• Originally posted by Midaztouch View Post
                        Lead acid 12v @36amps

19.5 AGW @ 36 turns

Max rpms = 670

Continuous Run time = 3hr ... Ending test RPMs = 625
                        Congrats on completion of the machine and first test. Was that test conducted with no load on the shaft? How big was the battery and was just the one used? How many of the brushes did you use for this test? How was the current measured? Was the voltage measured or just assumed 12?

Thanks,

bi

Comment

• Originally posted by bistander View Post
                          Congrats on completion of the machine and first test. Was that test conducted with no load on the shaft? How big was the battery and was just the one used? How many of the brushes did you use for this test? How was the current measured? Was the voltage measured or just assumed 12?

Thanks,

bi
                          It was just a simple test using all 4 inputs/all brushes.

The problem with using the 18awg was high Amps @ No Load...21amps! Of course the rpms were high but the high amps was the price to pay!

I ran the motor No Load for 3hrs because I want to make sure the amps were well below 21 AMPs. Since the one 12v battery was 36ah, I have a ball park figure for the amps @ No Load. Also, I checked the Rpms every 30 mins. The motor must be drawing less than 10 amps per hour @ No Load.

The "timing" of the motor's singular coil is about 50/50 between the N&S magnets.

As for the torque... I stood directly on top of the motor's housing case while maintaining balance on a wall. I presses as hard as I could on the shaft with the heal of my shoe. (I'm 210lbs/95kgs and still play sports regularly)... I can't stall the motor.
                          Last edited by Midaztouch; 06-17-2016, 02:42 PM.

Comment

• Was searching for "Operating Temperature" for electric motors on NEMA and OEM sites.

We have seen vids checking the Imperial with a thermal gun. OEMs can't and don't use thermal guns for a rating. They must use "thermal imaging machines" as described by NEMA. They must check for "Hot Spots".

If you were cooking a turkey, would you check the temp of the turkey pot or the turkey's skin!? No, you would check the deep inside temp of the turkey.

The same thinking goes into checking electric motors that have a metal housing/case. The temp of the case and the wires that are not deep inside are being cool by the wind and outside temp mean very little. What is vital, is the temp of the wire bundles that are in the armature grooves/valleys near the core of the rotor.

What determines the rating of the motor is the temperature of the wire coating(UEW, PEW, AIW), magnet stator temperature rating, and temperature of "Hot Spots" under operating conditions. Some motors run hotter than others but the Hot Spots can not exceed 130°c.

Last edited by Midaztouch; 07-10-2016, 12:01 PM.

Comment

• I'm 210lbs also using my full upper body strength on the tiny shaft to help to try stalling the A1MoGen.

50% south & 50% north for the timing of the singular coils
                              Singular Coil is 7 armature poles
                              18.5 AWG @ 36 turns
                              12v 36 amps lead battery
                              Using all brushes/4 inputs

[VIDEO]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XFGLIktcr20[/VIDEO]

Just showing you what I'm seeing.
                              Last edited by Midaztouch; 06-22-2016, 08:10 AM.

Comment

• Adjusting the timing to run on repulse mode this week.
                                Need a RPM reference point.
                                Last edited by Midaztouch; 06-29-2016, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X