X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by grounded View Post
    i dont have a rectifier to try out.
    its on my list of things to do.
    there cheap. can get them for £1 over here, which is about 200 yen, in japanese money.
    It's funny because everything is more expensive in Japan than most people think. Also, it's hard to get electric parts and things in Japan. Japanese people usually buy new stuff. They don't repair it. The big companies bought and control EVERYTHING! For example, I can only buy AIW 220c Hatachi wire. The stuff is best quality but to wind the Imperial it will cost you $150 for a 5KG roll or $10 for 10 meters.

im new to all this, so i wasnt aware that a motor-generator always pumps out AC.i just assumed, as DC power was going in, DC would be coming out, but have learnt otherwise. im hoping thats what caused the motor to slow, because i was trying to charge a DC battery with AC.
    Welcome to the party. Well, I got you on AC output but that probably about it! Lol. I'm not sure but it seems like the A1MoGen with extra brushes should run on attract mode when collecting energy. ... Or is it the other way around.

you wont need any teaching - youve got this far with the motor, so youll have no trouble rigging one of them up. its literally the 2 AC wires into the rectifier, and 2 wires coming out become DC.
    I'm in the middle of all this but... I only needed a motor for my EV build! Lol

Diode bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

apparenty each of the 4 diodes that make up the rectifier circuit, steal a bit of power in operation, about 1 volt each roughly, so your looking at a 4v loss of output per rectified channel, which should be minor when the motors upto speed, and kicking out double or triple figures.

but like i said before, im not sure if it will work, im just guessing.
    These motor seem to have there best output from 12v. The 2 magnet motors have 1 output ... the 4 stator s have 2 outputs... The A1mogen with extra brushes, it could maybe possibly be 6 outputs. That would be great If there is 0 magnet drag. I wish I had more experience with generator.

Thanks for that link.

ive seen other people with the bedini wheels do a similar thing tho, so its not impossible, with the right circuit.

my knowledge on electronics and circuits is pretty sh1t. i wish i knew more.
    I started reading about the Bedini Motors but I got lost and gave up. Those guys are all about the generation of energy. They would be very helpful.

Keep it Clean and Green
    Midaz
    Last edited by Midaztouch; 05-18-2015, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• DC input - AC output ?

I've not heard this before and it has me wondering.

Is this confirmed by actual readings or assumed ?

I can't see how this is so, and the best I can come up with is pulsed DC output. I shall explain.

To be AC, obviously, it has to flip direction. So I'm wondering what the mechanism is for this to happen.

The asymm motors have separate coil groups where the output will be the same direction every time a group passes the generator brushes. And every time a coil group passes the generator brushes there is, presumably, a pulse of electricity. And every pulse is always in the same direction.

To be AC the pulses would need to be reversed 'alternately'.

---S---

On an unrelated thought.

I'm chopping another motor tonight to see if I can get the same amount of wire as the OEM, not in One Pair of Groups but in Two Pair of Groups.

Once I appreciated that approximately 98% of the time the brush covers two commutator segments then I figure I should design based on Two Groups acting together, not just on One Group acting mostly alone.

This wind, if I can fit all the wire in, will have 10/12 of the OEM wire in 1/3 of my motor. In other words there will be 30/12 of OEM wire in the rotor.

Happy Hunting

mark

Comment

• Originally posted by Midaztouch
        Padova

IC we have a newbie here. I was one too you know, a baby as a matter of fact. I bought one of those Imperial motors almost 2 yrs ago for my electric EV build. I followed that thread DAILY and took notes... For over 2yrs.

I paid for my motor with shipping to Japan. I'm going to use it anyway I see fit. And as you can see, I'm not doing it the way they/he does it... You should be asking yourself why is there Only 1 person working on the 5 pole... that's it, one person!?
        No other motor, just the tiny irregular useless 5pole only! And now that member is finished with it. WTF, now what!?

Over 20 members have that huge expensive 28pole 45lbs Imperial motor! Lately they are starting to show up! They want answers and growing inpatient!

If you had a huge thread and people spent REAL money, Some members are in the hole for $$$$$! Would you be busting you butt to make things right and prove your work!? ... Think about it!

I'm a small time builder who wanted to build an electric motor for my motorcycle. I just got tired of the runaround and same old info a different day. AKA he is stalling!.. I'm nobody special but I'm trying to work with what I paid for. And I'm doing what I thought was interesting and new.

Don't open your mouth about personal things you know nothing about!... After 3yrs, still on the 5pole and making the same CAD, a different way! #SMH

Your in for a rude awakening!
        Midaz
        Dufo

Of course I made my guideline rules about Singular Coils = A1MoGen with Extra Brushes!

All with 0 Magnetic Drag!!!

1.) motoring only, you need the magic #5 or greater

2.) with generator action, you need the magic #6 or greater

*Number of armature poles divided by number of magnets... If the # is equal to or greater than the MAGIC #...
        It would be wise that you get/buy that motor.

Examples:

12poles divided by 2 magnets = 6 poles... Perfect motor for all testing

28poles divided by 4 magnets = 7 poles.... Perfect motor for all testing = Imperial

Dufo, copy that and please use it! Hope that help to get this party started over there.

Keep it Clean and Green
        Midaz
        Last edited by Midaztouch; 05-19-2015, 12:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Midaztouch
          Two pairs of groups!? What are you cooking up?
          The single comm solution requires winding a group down one half as 'north' and down the other half as 'south'. It's the major trade off with this design...simplicity of build sacrifices an all north solution. Hence One Pair of Groups.

But...when I started thinking about this stuff properly. The brush connects two comm segments for 98% of the time. For the other 2% there is only on comm on the brush. So at any one time for the single comm motor there is Two Pairs of Groups connected to the brush.

Originally posted by Midaztouch
          With the existing group & pair winds designs on the two commutators motors, can extra brushes fit?
          If I understand your question correctly it can only be answered by the physical size of the brush board. For my 12 pole motor it was relatively easy with very basic tools. The smaller the motor the more accuracy required to correctly align and fit the brush housings in and get all the wires collected and out of the way.

I don't see the wind design as being important to the question, but one thing that does require thought is how you could use extra brushes for motor input on a two stator motor. My extra brushes are for generator output only. If I used them as input they would fire the coils at incorrect angles to the stators.

In theory I could fit another pair of brushes on the board and they could probably be fired in the correct sequence to reinforce the rotation. I haven't considered it until you asked this question. In my case I don't think it would be helpful with this size of motor.

Happy Hunting

mark

Comment

• [/I]
            Originally posted by HuntingRoss View Post
            The single comm solution requires winding a group down one half as 'north' and down the other half as 'south'. It's the major trade off with this design...simplicity of build sacrifices an all north solution. Hence One Pair of Groups.
            Ok, you where just giving info that was said before for the new people.

But...when I started thinking about this stuff properly. The brush connects two comm segments for 98% of the time. For the other 2% there is only on comm on the brush. So at any one time for the single comm motor there is Two Pairs of Groups connected to the brush.
            Exatly

If I understand your question correctly it can only be answered by the physical size of the brush board. For my 12 pole motor it was relatively easy with very basic tools. The smaller the motor the more accuracy required to correctly align and fit the brush housings in and get all the wires collected and out of the way.
            Yes, we are on the same page.

I don't see the wind design as being important to the question, but one thing that does require thought is how you could use extra brushes for motor input on a two stator motor. My extra brushes are for generator output only. If I used them as input they would fire the coils at incorrect angles to the stators.
            Pair & Group coils are too long, the coils' bisectors will cross the bisectors of the magnets. Creating magnet drag. Thou in some cases low, it's still magnetic drag = Extra brushes are impossible!... Don't get me started on the magnetic density of the group coils..

Singular coils never do that. The A1MoGen always has 0 magnetic drag with Extra Brushes.

In theory I could fit another pair of brushes on the board and they could probably be fired in the correct sequence to reinforce the rotation. I haven't considered it until you asked this question. In my case I don't think it would be helpful with this size of motor.

Happy Hunting

mark
            Your motor is max-ed out, as it is, from extra brushes that you already put on it for GENERATOR ACTION. Those extra brushes you put on, could be wider thou.... Show your brush housing then I can tell/see exactly what your working with.
            You have the perfect motor size for all testing! 12pole 2magnets
            Where did you buy your motor and how much?

Keep it Clean and Green
            Midaz

Told you that snake would try anything to get off thar hook? Including showing the samething you showed... Just with movie frames... Same *hit, different day/way!
            Last edited by Midaztouch; 05-19-2015, 01:10 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Midaztouch View Post
              [/I]
              Where did you buy your motor and how much?
              Electric Motor 24 Volt 120 Watt 16T Belt Sprocket ES-01 + ES-05 ? PetrolScooter UK

It's great motor to learn on because it's not too small but it is surprisingly capable in its OEM state.

Happy Hunting

mark

Comment

• what do you mean by no magnetic drag ?

with permanent magnet motors, the steel armatures always in attraction to the mags

Comment

• after what you said earlier mark, it got me thinking...
                  how am i this stupid ?

if a single commutator motor can be re-wound half north, and half south, what is the benefit of using this double comm design ?

the only thing i can think of is the timing......

when your dealing with 100+ winds, the first 50+ winds on north, will hit at the right time, but by the time juice has thrown over to the other side and exited the next 50+ winds for south, the armature might be slightly out of time.

shunting the south magnet a couple degrees will probably rememdy this.

tesla would have already tried it this way, im sure.... his vision must have been generation.
                  what are we missing.

an energy thats invisible and shape-shifts constantly, is hard to understand.
                  Last edited by grounded; 05-19-2015, 08:31 PM.

Comment

if a single commutator motor can be re-wound half north, and half south, what is the benefit of using this double comm design ?
                    A double comm design can be wound all north, a single comm can't. That's the main difference. The coil structures attached to a comm segment are 'OFF' for twice as long on a double comm motor. There is a theoretical advantage there, I haven't tested a single comm motor to the same degree as the OEM as yet with a 4 mile road test. I think I have one now which is a contender and I hope to get my test pilot on that pretty soon. That will answer if the heat build up in a single comm is anything to consider. The OEM after that test was obviously within its parameters but it was too hot to comfortably handle.

The real advantage is I can chop an OEM, rewind it and test it in one afternoon. It took me (collectively) days to build just one double comm motor before I could do the same. I currently have 5 no. single comm motors because they are so simple to learn from.

Originally posted by grounded View Post
                    the only thing i can think of is the timing......
                    Timing a single comm is easier. There is just one brush board to move. For double comm you need to move the upper and lower together to maintain alignment for optimum 'ON' time and therefore performance.

For the motor I have linked, there is 10° - 15° either side of the OEM setting. Some of these motors must come from different factories because the first two I received had 15° , all others have been 10°. This is governed by the bolt passing between the two stators. In the first two the stator gap was wider. A solution to allow more movement would be to external clamp the motor end plates. I may consider this at some point, but at present it hasn't been necessary.

when your dealing with 100+ winds, the first 50+ winds on north, will hit at the right time, but by the time juice has thrown over to the other side and exited the next 50+ winds for south, the armature might be slightly out of time.
                    The path from the positive brush to the negative brush is equal and simultaneous, so the 'juice' has no preference to either side. No movement of the magnet is required.

tesla would have already tried it this way, im sure.... his vision must have been generation.
                    what are we missing.
                    I'm not saying single comm is the answer and I'm not saying it's not. Until it's properly tested there can be no conclusion. I also don't know if Tesla ruled it out just on the basis that his design shows two comms.

Until enough of us are playing with bigger motors that can actually do real work then it will be hard to determine if we are missing anything / nothing or everything.

Happy Hunting

mark

Comment

what do you mean by no magnetic drag ?
                      When the coil structure attached to the comm segment connects to the brush, it energises that coil structure to be North and they are attracted to the south stator.

As the comm disconnects from the brush, the North field collapses. As these collapsing north field coils pass the south stator bisector they want to counter rotate the rotor so that they align on the south stator bisector. They are unable to do this under the influence of the constant replacement of new stronger energised north coils coming in from behind them. Inertia of the rotating mass will help to overcome this too. This desire to counter rotate is magnetic drag.

Happy Hunting

mark

Comment

• Mark,

I see your in the mood to kick some serious butt! Keep up the good work!

That last post that you left Dufo's page was eloquently written.
                        Can you please post that to this thread, so people can understand it and discuss it if needed?

When you made the singular coils, did you happen to test that motor build in series?

I wish I ran my motor in series before a disassembled it hastily to rebuild it.

Keep it Clean and Green
                        Midaz

You forgot to tell the Dufo that this steel laminate's will still have some magnetic residual after they disconnected from the power supply.

Further pushing the coils magnetic field past the magnets bisector.... = more negative magnetic drag!

That's why the buffer zone is needed!
                        Last edited by Midaztouch; 05-20-2015, 06:15 AM.

Comment

• Singular Coils = A1MoGen

Here's a quick video on:

Magnet drag according to Midaz

Critical angles (bi-sector of the coils should not be in this zone!)

Buffer zones = Enough room to search for the "Sweet Spot"

And your "Don't worry be happy zones"!

[VIDEO]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J9bFHg2vYJg[/VIDEO]

Keep it Clean and Green
                          Midaz

Mark,

Tell Gary the argument is over Sampojo's 10pole singular coil motor. He's trying to help Dufo with damage control.
                          This is a mutiny, NOT a hijacking! The captain has been relieved of duty, due to incompetence.
                          Last edited by Midaztouch; 05-20-2015, 06:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by HuntingRoss View Post
                            A double comm design can be wound all north, a single comm can't. That's the main difference.
                            i dont see why a single comm motor cant be wound all north.

positive brush in >
                            50 winds clockwise >
                            loop wire over 180 degrees >
                            50 winds anti-clockwise >
                            negative brush out.

its not technically ' all north ' because of the 180 switch, but the layout is the same as it would be.
                            there must be a time dealy for the second half of the coil tho.
                            i guess the only way to find out is to try it.

Originally posted by HuntingRoss View Post
                            Timing a single comm is easier. There is just one brush board to move.

The path from the positive brush to the negative brush is equal and simultaneous, so the 'juice' has no preference to either side. No movement of the magnet is required.
                            doesnt electric flow into positive, and out through negative tho ?
                            there must be some sort of time delay from start to finish. that is where the dual comm design wins i think.

maybe im under-estimating the speed of electricity.
                            how fast is electricity ?
                            if a motors spinning at 15 thousand rpm, can it get to the end of a 100 wind coil, before the armature is a degree or 2 out of place ?

it deffo wins on generation, but i think thats mainly due to having a 2nd brush pack, so it has more points of contact.

i wonder how a single comm motor, mounted with the extra 2 brushes, would compete. maybe things would be even then ?

Comment

• @ grounded

For all practical purposes there is no delay in the flow of electricity from one end of the coil to the other end. The wire is not like a pipe where you put water into one end and have to wait for it to get to the other end. It is more like a pipe that is already full of water. So as soon as you put water in one end it pushes water out of the other end. Or you can think of it this way. If you push on one end of an iron bar how long does it take for the other end to move? The copper wire is already full of electrons so as soon as you apply a voltage to the wire the electrons start moving. There is no real delay except in an inductor which is something we don't need to go into right now. Even with an inductor as soon as current starts to flow it flows all at once with electrons going into one end of the wire and at the same time other electrons coming out the other end.

Your idea of winding a coil on the armature with one end being clockwise and the other end being counter clockwise will give a north pole on both sides when the proper polarity of voltage is applied. However, you failed to consider what happens when the armature rotates 180 degrees. Now the brushes will be supplying a voltage of the opposite polarity and so you would have south poles on both sides of the armature and the motor would try to reverse.

I hope Midaz doesn't mind me chiming in on his thread. Just trying to clear up some confusion.

Respectfully,
                              Carroll
                              Just because someone disagrees with you does NOT make them your enemy. We can disagree without attacking someone.

Comment

i dont see why a single comm motor cant be wound all north.
                                I've thought long and hard about this and even considered using diodes to make an all north possible. Apparently diodes don't make it work either.

I wind my coils clockwise 'on the face' meaning as you look at the rotor held in your hand. I start at P1 and wind CW to P7 and carry on CW back to P1.

If you imagine the brushes at 9 and 3 o'clock with 9 being positive with P1 on the 9 o'clock position. The 12 o'clock coils are north and the 6 o'clock coils are south. This arrangement ensures contiuous rotation.

IF you were to wind the to achieve all north, it would go like this.

Wind CW from P1 to P7. From P7 wind CCW to P1.

With P1 at 9 o'clock the 12 o'c coils are north and the 6 o'c coils are north. The motor stalls with one north repulsion on the north magnet and one north attraction on the south magnet.

Swapping out the south magnet and replacing with a north magnet doesn't greatly help. P1 at 9 o'c gives repulsion and P7 at 3 o'c gives repulsion. All good for the first 180°. P7 is now on the 9 o'c energise south attracting to the north magnet and the P1 on 3 o'c energise north and repel. The motor stalls.

I've only built these scenarios in my mind, so feel free to try them, but I don't see a different outcome.

there must be a time dealy for the second half of the coil tho.
                                Sorry, no time delay, and no difference between single or double comm on this point. Electricity flows between the positive and negative brush in the same way regardless of brush location, single or double comm.

maybe im under-estimating the speed of electricity.
                                how fast is electricity ?
                                Speed of light. Think of a hose full of water. Turn on the tap and water immediately comes out the other end. The answer is in longitudinal waves if I remember correctly.

i wonder how a single comm motor, mounted with the extra 2 brushes, would compete ?
                                Do you mean as motor or generator ?

Happy Hunting

mark

Comment

Working...
                                X