difference between ac and dc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• difference between ac and dc

so the other guy made dc. tesla made ac.

can someone, compare for me the difference speaking in terms of these. how tesla invented it. and the difference using the same principle to dc.

and the thing im talking about is i watched a movie, it was about tesla, and he was walking down the road, then noticed, teh sun or something and he thought up ac. and dc. was different. but could someone give me their interpretation, to make it easier understandable.

and if you dont know what movie or thing im refrenceing. i can try to clear it up more.

im trying to learn cause its the only thing we learned from tesla. i want to understand it. if someone has learned other stuff, actual tesla inventions, itd be great if you would list them here, too. to learn how tesla was inventing.

and my gist, say tesla was the inventor of dc. .. thats what im getting at, what would he of said, and as compoared to ac. whats the difference? it doesnt matter, one is more advanced than the other, ac>dc but, what advancedments where made is what im trying to get at.

the movie that expalined teslas ac, showed how it related to nature.

ill find that video if anyone..

ok found it. i dont understand dc. and id like someones own interpretation of this. dc and ac as compared in this terms.
    heres the video. NIKOLA TESLA 1980 Movie - YouTube starting around 22:03

Better than AC is Pulsed DC,

quote from RADIANT ELECTRICITY

"He completely abandoned research and development of alternating current systems after this event intimating that a new technology was about to unfold."

he abandoned AC research after discover radiant electricity, produced by pulsed DC.

best

Alvaro

Comment

and the funny thing is ...radiant electricity is electrostatic electricity which we tend to avoid and which is known for centuries

Comment

Originally posted by boguslaw View Post
        and the funny thing is ...radiant electricity is electrostatic electricity which we tend to avoid and which is known for centuries
        Yes indeed!

Haven't anyone noticed that those plastic exterior chairs get charged by the sun? You sit there and the arm's hair move like when you approach the arm to an old tv after you turn it off.

Best

Alvaro

Comment

what tesla saw in the vision that the sun gave him was the AC power system
          the big thing is that transformers work with AC
          so you can drop the current on your transmission lines over long distances,
          with the older technology you can not change voltage for current if using DC
          so there was no way of transmitting your power very far from the generating station

Comment

ldrancer, you completely missed the point, your question contains your misunderstanding and therefore the answers you get do not answer your question.

clear or not?

Tesla was thinking about ways to construct a motor without having to resort to a commutator. Then he saw the Sun moving around the Earth, and he realised that if he could make the magnetic field rotate around the stator he would have the solution. But the Sun does not really move around the Earth, it only appears to do so. Likewise a magnetic field does not really have to rotate, you can modulate a horizontal and vertical component in such a way that the field appears to rotate. And with this thought the problem was solved.

Besides this, AC is much easier to transform to a different voltage and it travels much further on a distribution line without serious voltage drop.
            Because of these two reasons it is far superior to DC in a distribution network. Resistive losses (I²R) increase proportional to the square of the current, by raising the voltage you need less current for the same power transfer. So a higher voltage reduces the losses.

If you are interested in Tesla's work, why don't you read it?
            articles
            patents
            If you want to learn from him, copy his experiments.

There is LOTS to learn. Don't bother with this Bedini guy, the Corum bros, Meyl or Dollard. Their interpretations will only lead you astray. Stick with Tesla and you will learn.

Ernst.

Comment

Ernst
              Why do you put John Bedini in one line with Meyl. Meyl is for you a Fraud anyway. So you call John Bedini a Fraud ?
              What is your business then here actually. If you dont like him, why dont you just F*ck off from this Forum here.

Here are a lot Things in here from him. He also showed one and two things what Peoples did not know before.
              He also worked the Tesla switch out. And he speaks a clear and straight Language when it is about to explain things. There is no Point for you to try to insult him or Dollard.

Your explanation is worth Sh*t, you describe, as you usual do, what Ac do but not what it is.
              Also like your arrogant statement
              ldrancer, you completely missed the point, your question contains your misunderstanding and therefore the answers you get do not answer your question.
              This is your interpretation from his Question.
              For me its clearly understandable, what he ask for.
              But for sure not some gibberish like why you transform AC.
              Theorizer are like High Voltage. A lot hot Air with no Power behind but they are the dead of applied Work and Ideas.

Comment

Hi Joit,
                Why don't you calm down, there is really no reason to overreact.
                I mention Bedini, the Corum bros, Meyl and Dollard, because they all have their interpretation of Tesla's work. And in fact so have I.
                But I do not say "forget about Tesla and study my work", as I once read from Eric Dollard.
                Bedini writes a lot about Tesla, but it is for the larger part his interpretation and some things I read on his site are definitely not true.
                So what I am saying is: "Read Tesla's own words and form your own opinion".
                I do not call Bedini a fraud, I do not know if he is, and I do not care. But I am sure Bedini is not Tesla. Is that insulting him? Or is that insulting to Dollard?
                If it is, they are really sad cases!

And what nonsense is that, if I do not like Bedini (or should I say worship?) then I should not be in this place? Come on now!

My "arrogant statement" as you call it, comes from the fact that the referred movie fragment is about a rotating magnetic field and the invention of the induction motor, while the question is "what is AC" and how does it refer to the movement of the Sun.
                The answer then is, it does not, but the rotating magnetic field does. And then ldrancer add things like "it is the only thing we learned from Tesla" and "or did someone learn more?" You see, there is confusion all over this question.

The question, in my humble (but arrogant ) opinion is "what is the difference between AC and DC".
                The response "Better than AC is Pulsed DC" followed by a reference to a load of unproven crap/and a distorted view on history, is not an answer.
                Neither is "radiant electricity is electrostatic electricity" or "plastic exterior chairs get charged by the sun".
                And neither does your answer contribute anything at all.

I like to think that my answer does...

Ernst.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernst View Post
                  Hi Joit,
                  Why don't you calm down, there is really no reason to overreact.
                  I mention Bedini, the Corum bros, Meyl and Dollard, because they all have their interpretation of Tesla's work. And in fact so have I.
                  But I do not say "forget about Tesla and study my work", as I once read from Eric Dollard.
                  Bedini writes a lot about Tesla, but it is for the larger part his interpretation and some things I read on his site are definitely not true.
                  So what I am saying is: "Read Tesla's own words and form your own opinion".
                  I do not call Bedini a fraud, I do not know if he is, and I do not care. But I am sure Bedini is not Tesla. Is that insulting him? Or is that insulting to Dollard?
                  If it is, they are really sad cases!

And what nonsense is that, if I do not like Bedini (or should I say worship?) then I should not be in this place? Come on now!

My "arrogant statement" as you call it, comes from the fact that the referred movie fragment is about a rotating magnetic field and the invention of the induction motor, while the question is "what is AC" and how does it refer to the movement of the Sun.
                  The answer then is, it does not, but the rotating magnetic field does. And then ldrancer add things like "it is the only thing we learned from Tesla" and "or did someone learn more?" You see, there is confusion all over this question.

The question, in my humble (but arrogant ) opinion is "what is the difference between AC and DC".
                  The response "Better than AC is Pulsed DC" followed by a reference to a load of unproven crap/and a distorted view on history, is not an answer.
                  Neither is "radiant electricity is electrostatic electricity" or "plastic exterior chairs get charged by the sun".
                  And neither does your answer contribute anything at all.

I like to think that my answer does...

Ernst.
                  Yes, maybe my post did not answer the question, but what you didn't noticed is that my intention was not to explain the difference between AC and DC, my intention was to point out something more important than AC and DC.

And I would recommend new people to read John Bedini's work, and try to replicate it, because it will teach Tesla's method of conversion.

best,

Alvaro

Comment

My best main answer to You...

Originally posted by ldrancer View Post
                    so the other guy made dc. tesla made ac.

can someone, compare for me the difference speaking in terms of these. how tesla invented it. and the difference using the same principle to dc.

and the thing im talking about is i watched a movie, it was about tesla, and he was walking down the road, then noticed, teh sun or something and he thought up ac. and dc. was different. but could someone give me their interpretation, to make it easier understandable.

and if you dont know what movie or thing im refrenceing. i can try to clear it up more.

im trying to learn cause its the only thing we learned from tesla. i want to understand it. if someone has learned other stuff, actual tesla inventions, itd be great if you would list them here, too. to learn how tesla was inventing.

and my gist, say tesla was the inventor of dc. .. thats what im getting at, what would he of said, and as compoared to ac. whats the difference? it doesnt matter, one is more advanced than the other, ac>dc but, what advancedments where made is what im trying to get at.

the movie that expalined teslas ac, showed how it related to nature.

ill find that video if anyone..

ok found it. i dont understand dc. and id like someones own interpretation of this. dc and ac as compared in this terms.
                    heres the video. NIKOLA TESLA 1980 Movie - YouTube starting around 22:03
                    Hello Idrancer,

The best way to know the difference...is to go -in detail, and starting by the the basic fundamentals- to the Machines that Generate this Two Types of Currents.

1-A Basic AC Generator is based on a continuous loop winding (on Induced Fields), delivering a full Sine-wave that fluctuates between Negative-Positive.

2-A Basic DC Generator only sweeps* the Positive side of the Wave, delivering ONLY a "Ripple" but continuous Positive Wave...A Negative side exists, however it is cancelled or avoided by not having a continuous reading/sweep, but Interrupted on the Negative end.

*understand "sweep" by the Induction Action between Exciter/Inductor and Induced Coils.

Now You have some wrong statements on your post above, please allow me to correct them:

Tesla did not "invent" AC...AC Generators were developed before Tesla Time...example: The Sebastian Ziani de Ferranti Generator ...(English/Italian) built the First AC Plant in England...

Ferranti bet on AC early on, and was one of the few experts in this system in the UK. In 1887, the London Electric Supply Corporation (LESCo) hired Ferranti for the design of their power station at Deptford. He designed the building, the generating plant and the distribution system. On its completion in 1891, it was the first truly modern power station, supplying high-voltage AC power that was then "stepped down" for consumer use on each street. This basic system remains in use today around the world. One of the remaining supports of the generating hall of Deptford Power Station forms the frame of the sign at the Museum of Science and Industry in Manchester UK, home of the Ferranti Archives.

Tesla Invented the Poly Phase Generators...which were more robust in Output than any previous builds...then built the Electrical Plant in a Joint Venture with Westinghouse in the Niagara Falls (after winning "The War of Currents" to Edison and Morgan (GE)...and after Edison burnt some LIVE Animals in public , including an Elephant, trying to demonstrate AC was lethal, what an as*hole!))...and illuminated -for the first time in U.S-, the World Chicago Fair of 1896...Ferranti completed his Plant in 1891

Hope this post helped you.

Regards

Ufopolitics
                    Last edited by Ufopolitics; 11-26-2014, 02:10 PM.
                    Principles for the Development of a Complete Mind: Study the science of art. Study the art of science. Develop your senses- especially learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else.― Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

Hi ldrancer'

I have asked myself a few questions on this subject,

1) Are all true forms of energy radiant such as light and heat?

2) Is the form of electricity we know a symptom of the interaction or conversion of radiant energies?

3) Is magnetism a symptom or transformation of such energy or is it energy in itself?

Etc. etc.

I came to the conclusion that it is possible that the currents we find in conductors may be a symptom of another form of energy.

One of the main uses of AC is in its varying currents causing a varying magnetic field which allow for inducing a new and separate current via a transformer. I found that it is possible to use the current that was passed through a primary of a transformer to power other coils. At the same time I can also power the second coil with the current from the secondary of the transformer thus almost doubling the current in the second coil causing a more intense magnetic field. This can also be done with pulsed DC.

Of course this second current is caused by the varying magnetic field and so cant be the first current, so where is it coming from? is it a manifestation of radiant being pulled from the environment by the magnetic field?

I cant answer all these questions but the effects are real.

The chair effect i have never experienced, i will have to try that.

Comment

i think ac dc are currents. ive noticed static electricty in chairs. usually the kind that sun fade real easy. and have to be on like wood, i think there usually near a pool. and thats when it is they will fill you with static electricity. ive seen them around here. i cant remember.

just understanding any, i m guessing part of electricity, and how it travels. how ac and dc work in nature will show me what and how electricity works. whats the difference is the big question.

heck i barely know what electricity is. its like when you burn wood right in a fire, then get something hot then make steam engine pump a piston that is connected to a wheel right? boy im engineering the best motors. thats my simplest idea of what a motor is and power or electricty.. power, electricity.

edit this: i think dc and ac are like, dc is just a more caveman like approach, like a 1 gear motor compare to ac which is like a 2 speed.

Comment

i think ac dc are currents.
                          Correct

just understanding any, i m guessing part of electricity, and how it travels. how ac and dc work in nature will show me what and how electricity works. whats the difference is the big question.
                          AC and DC refer to currents, think of DC like water flowing down a river. Ac is more like the rise and fall of the waves in the sea, in fact that is probably where some of the terminology comes from.

heck i barely know what electricity is.
                          Correct, in fact if you said you know what electricity is, I would doubt you. Im not sure that anyone really knows what it is. I think the likes of Tesla and Dollard have the most understanding of it.

All we can say is that it is a phenomenon.

We have static, which im not sure that it is static because we can detect it and that requires something dynamic. Static implies voltage without current.

We have current which implies dynamic, and it is accepted that this is the movement of electrons but requires voltage to make it happen. Current also results in magnetism.

We have magnetism which can, when moving, produce voltage and current in a conductor.

We have radiant which implies dynamic voltage but no current as we normally define it. Radiant being one of the most interesting aspects to me, and is probably closer to what the source of the phenomenon is.

These are parts of what we term electromagnetism. I believe that some force is behind it all and that may be radiant energy.

Heat and light are both pure forms of energy in their radiant forms in my opinion.

The term Electricity usually leaves out the magnetism and radiant aspects but they are still there. So AC and DC refers to the current action of applied voltages.

Electricians work with currents resulting from applied voltages and this is how we exploit the phenomenon.

I have played around with radiant, experimenting and producing currents and voltage from it. Im currently playing around with currents and magnetism and getting them to do work, but in both cases, voltage, current, magnetism and radiant are present. They do seem inseparable.

I cant answer the question "What is Electricity?" Im not sure anyone can. I accept most of standard electrical theory because it works, but it is incomplete and cannot explain everything about this phenomenon.

Hope this helps and doesn’t confuse you too much

Comment

Originally posted by mbrownn View Post
                            I cant answer the question "What is Electricity?" Im not sure anyone can. I accept most of standard electrical theory because it works, but it is incomplete and cannot explain everything about this phenomenon.
                            Totally agree, what is electricity? we only know what we can see, the effects that electricity produces.

Is interesting how the matter is maybe also electricity? I mean.. the atoms are electrical charges interacting with each other? in the end, the difference between an hydrogen atom and a gold atom is just how the "energy" is ordered.

Comment

Originally posted by alvarohn View Post
                              the difference between an hydrogen atom and a gold atom is just how the "energy" is ordered.
                              Its a good question, Is matter a frequency field of energy?

Again I dont know, I have been reading a little about that, but for now I will stay on the fence

Comment

Working...
                              X