Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-ray unit tank circuit pictorial part1

X-ray unit tank circuit

This, silver box is a “tank” circuit, which forms part of the generator-tank power supply from an old X-ray instrument. This tank has an unknown fault, its thirty plus years old and is to be decommissioned, salvaged (glom) and recycled. The generator-tank in its day could produce a maximum of 100kV DC at 30mA or 3 kilowatts! This is what drove the X-ray tube.

So this is just for fun, let’s open it up and have a little peek inside. Any glom to be found?

This thing is heavy!

Cracked it! No wonder its heavy, the transformer is mounted under the lid.

Yummy transformer oil.
    "Doesn't matter how many times you kick the coyote in the head, it's still gonna eat chickens". - EPD

The underside. Big transformer. Go on, study those windings? I think I see one fault, the tube broken off from transformer winding the inductor. Everything is brittle, looks like it got slightly warm at one point.

25M resistors can be seen, with a HV filament transformer in the foreground

That’s a large capacitor! It’s a Jensen capacitor, 0.005uF rated for 100kV DC!

Overall underside view.

More later
    Sputins
    Last edited by Sputins; 10-16-2014, 06:02 AM.
    "Doesn't matter how many times you kick the coyote in the head, it's still gonna eat chickens". - EPD

Comment

Schematic - part2

Block diagram of tank [simple]

Schematic: [well kind of]

Well that just about brings us to the end of this little adventure for now. .
      This tank circuit will be broken down further for its parts and repurposed.

There is another identical tank circuit with generator, complete unit which was recently working but now decommissioned. It’s even too heavy for a boat anchor!

This thread can now sink down the list.
      I hope you found it of mild interest at least.
      Sputins.

Comment

Only fascinating!

Would those capacitors have been a 'standard' (albeit very expensive) part, or would they have been custom-made for these x-ray machines?

Comment

Originally posted by sprocket View Post
          Only fascinating!

Would those capacitors have been a 'standard' (albeit very expensive) part, or would they have been custom-made for these x-ray machines?

Jensen Capacitors
          Mixed Dielectric
          0.005uF at 100kVDC

I can’t find much data on these type of caps as yet likely they’re made especially for these X-ray units. ?
          It’s been in under oil for thirty years, so I feel like it’s a fish out of water.
          I’m sure a new one of similar type and capacity would be fairly expensive. Likely hard to find.

Comment

Working...
          X