Steele Braden Generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update

Steele has found someone to back his scaled up build of this project. IT WORKS guys. I don't know how else to say it.
    Rotor Photo by David_Bowling | Photobucket
    Stator Photo by David_Bowling | Photobucket

He has also sent me updates on the NEW build, as far as specs go, but you need build it first.

Also, he is using an electrostatic motor to run it. It runs on ONE watt ONE. As in O....N....E.

electrostatic motor_zps32kktwvo.mp4 Video by David_Bowling | Photobucket

I have more info from Steele, but I am adding it to the end of everything I have already gotten from him. Everything is there to build this thing except time and money. It is ABSOLUTELY for REAL.

I should know. I built one. So far that's TWO people on this entire forum who have built and tested this device, and BOTH of us say it works. Everyone wants to power their house, but nobody wants to do any work.
    Last edited by Turion; 01-05-2016, 02:00 AM.
    “Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers.”
    —Bernhard Haisch, Astrophysicist

Comment

Originally posted by Turion View Post
      Steele has found someone to back his scaled up build of this project. IT WORKS guys. I don't know how else to say it.

He has also sent me updates on the NEW build, as far as specs go, but you need build it first.

Also, he is using an electrostatic motor to run it. It runs on ONE watt ONE. As in O....N....E.

I have more info from Steele, but I am adding it to the end of everything I have already gotten from him. Everything is there to build this thing except time and money. It is ABSOLUTELY for REAL.

I should know. I built one. So far that's TWO people on this entire forum who have built and tested this device, and BOTH of us say it works. Everyone wants to power their house, but nobody wants to do any work.
      Hi Turion,
      Okay wow, I missed this thread due to the thread title.

I’ve enjoyed skim reading the thread and now I’ll have to go back and go through it all a little more closely.

I’ve always wanted to build a rotary variable capacitor system like Chris Carson’s and explore what it does and produces.

Parametric Variation – varying the capacitance with respect to time. – Eric Dollard spoke about this as being one path to explore towards the goal we all seek.

I’m glad you have built yours at a reasonable scale.

Some ideas I have thought on to improve upon (Chris’s original) or to experiment with:

Large scale, multiple rotors, high grade bearings.
      Try housing in a vacuum, (Vacuum Capacitor).
      Try purging the housing with a gas. I.e. Nitrous Oxide (a higher dielectric strength than in air 1.6), or hydrogen gas to reduce the wind & friction losses, Helium, Argon or Nitrogen may have other effects.

Good work here.
      "Doesn't matter how many times you kick the coyote in the head, it's still gonna eat chickens". - EPD

Comment

Is this patent US 4,622,510
        Parametric Electric Machine
        Ferdinand Cap

Comment

Similar

Very similar, yes.

Steele has spent a lot of years working on this, and I can see several differences from this patent that are the difference between working and actually producing usable power. Since he explained how to do it step by step, I would follow his instructions rather than the patent.

Dave
          “Advances are made by answering questions. Discoveries are made by questioning answers.”

Comment

Hi Dave
            Just wondering if You got the 10 rotor gen running and how it is performing.
            Thanks.

Comment

Interesting

Yes,
              Me too. I just returned from southern California and want get accustomed to eastern time and cold temps.

I read this thread and checked for spare acrylic and bearings in the shop. I may have enough to get started on this project. I did build a smaller scale Wimshurst generator out of CD disk but not much output. After reading now I know why.

Thanks Steele and Dave great thread and hope to get this build started,
              wantomake
              Last edited by wantomake; 01-07-2016, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Info

From Steele:
                I have been very involved with an Electronics teacher overseas, that has financed a larger version of the Alternator.
                The stator plates are of 2mm thick fibreglass printed circuit board 600mm x 600mm square.
                On both sides of these stators (double sided) are 2mm thick acrylic cover plates for the HT insulation.
                The rotor discs are also of 2mm thick double sided PCB material.
                This will allow me to put together a two rotary capacitor machine.
                I have now got most of the hardware but waiting still on a few parts.
                Regarding the output.
                The original intention, as you will remember, was to use a step-down transformer from the output and use part of this to feed a small low voltage motor to self drive the system.
                What I now propose to do, is attempt to self run the Alternator from an electrostatic motor.
                This then needs no step-down transformer – just a high voltage fullwave bridge rectifier and high voltage smoothing cap to be able to feed the motor direct.
                This should cause no “bottle-neck” resistance to the Alternators output.

Steele has provided me with information on the build for that Electrostatic Motor. It is MUCH SIMPLER than the build of the generator. Probably something many of you could complete in a couple hours once you assemble the parts.

Rather than clutter up this thread and confutes crap out of people with discussions of BOTH, I will start a separate thread for Steele Braden's Electrostatic Motor.

I will also be posting some information from Steele on the Permanent Magnet Motor thread started by BroMikey.

Comment

Here's an idea for those of you who would like to build this generator but do not have a lot of equipment. For the stators you will have to get plastic at Lowes or someplace like that. They have some already cut into squares. You only need a drill to drill holes in the four corners and insert rods. To make the petals use the aluminum tape they have with the peel off backing for repairing duct work. Once the petals are on the stators, they need to be covered with a thin layer of plastic. I haven't tried this, but if you are careful, you might try Saran Wrap or cling wrap, gluing it around the edges. To get large CHEAP rotors, go to your local thrift shop and pick up a stack of old 33 1/3 records. They already have a nice center hole "drilled" in them which you can easily drill out to the proper size. I have used these for rotors before, but it was my little secret. I have also used several 45's stacked on top each other and glued together with a bearing I the center hole. Just keep them away from a heat source or even too much sunlight or they can warp. So basically the only "tool" you need is a hand drill to build this project.
                  Last edited by Turion; 01-08-2016, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Bwahahahaha I had dismissed records thinking it would be hard to find ones that are still flat. However, I just got 20 rotors for less than 5 bucks!!! 2 seven record box sets and 1 six record box set, all flat as can be. Thanks for putting that idea back in my head Turion. Local Goodwill store.

Comment

• Dave,

As one of the YES men of this thread, I too am curious how your 10 rotor version worked.

The original intention, as you will remember, was to use a step-down transformer from the output and use part of this to feed a small low voltage motor to self drive the system.
                      What I now propose to do, is attempt to self run the Alternator from an electrostatic motor.
                      Did you or steele attempt a step-down conversion? If so, what were the results?

Thanks again,
                      ken

Comment

• 10 rotor version

Ken, I haven't finished my 10 rotor version. Life continues to get in the way. I did build a two rotor version and could see that the output was EXACTLY as Steele said it would be. My son, who is an electrical engineer, stole it from me because he figured I had batteries hidden in it somewhere. He has it at his place in Arizona. I NEVER attempted to step down that build. I used it to charge two different caps, switching between one cap and the other, and then dumped the alternate cap to a battery, suchlike you do with the Bedini setup. But it worked just like he said it would.

This prompted me to begin building the ten rotor version. I halted progress for a couple reasons. First, I was going to run it with a razor scooter pulse motor and Steel let me know that it would be a gigantic mistake. So little power is needed to run this that a MUCH smaller motor is what should be used. When you are building this with a motor in the center to isolate the positive from the negative side as I am, you have to build from the motor OUT. I settled on Laserhacker's 3d printable electrostatic motor as the motor I want to use for a NUMBER of reasons, but didn't have the resources to build it. I do now, as soon as I get the 3d printer I purchased up and running. This is basically the same KIND of motor I showed on the "Steele Braden's Electrostatic Motor" thread. I have every part down to the nuts and bolts to assemble the thing. I just need the little motor to put it all together.

This build is a LOT of work. Cutting this petals out of that aluminum tape and applying them to the rotors and stators took at least a year of my life (or FELT like it anyway.) It is one of the most tedious things I have ever been involved in. If you're going to try it, make sure you have at least a couple seasons of your favorite tv show on the DVR that you can try to watch while you are doing it. Only if you associate the show with that job, you will come to HATE the show!! I should tell you I had to cut them all out twice because of mistakes made, and once they are on there, they are pretty much ruined when you pull them off.

Dave

Steele Braden Alternator - YouTube
                        Last edited by Turion; 01-11-2016, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• Hi Dave, thanks for the update.

Yeah, thats what I thought. I think it is a little premature or at least not a true representation of the device just relying on my poor build for performance data.
                          After going as far as I could with no money for expanding this gen, There were numerous things that I could have done to improve this device, but the results did not justify the expense nor the gargantuan space requirement. I needed that 8 foot bench space so I tore it all apart.

From Steele:
                          We are, with this small machine, only dealing with very small wattages.
                          For the output, the build was not worth the expense. Time, materials, and space, there are much more energy dense systems that I have worked with. That was one of the reasons I was hoping to see some numbers from your build so that I could see, if by building properly and correctly, ( according to Steele) if the output came up markedly, then I would know that my numbers were due just to shoddy workmanship. I could then beg / borrow / um... some other way of getting more materials and build it right.

So, I seem to have misunderstood the main push for this device. It appears that this device was never inteded to "power your house" as you put it, but just to show off self-looping? That seems the only reason why Steele would nix your choice of motors. I say - Try your razor motor! So what if its overkill, at least it turns the thing and you can then get some data off of it (unless you are building a museum piece). How can that be a "gigantic mistake"? The only gigantic mistake is to not complete the build.
                          What happened to step-down transformer conversion? Why the decision to throw that under the bus? If that is not used, then that leaves only mechanical shaft power out (which nessitates the use of a very efficient motor) but still gives you next to nothing on the output.

Anyway, I am not trying to make enemies of anyone, nor trying to sabotage the thread or deter anyone's build, motivation, or knowledge. I know you have projects comming out of your ears as it is. Thanks again for all you have and still do.
                          ken

Comment

• kenssurplus,
                            I always intended to use the step down transformer conversion, or SOME kind of conversion to get it down to 12 volts. I think I will have the printer put together in a couple more days if my luck holds, and then it won't take any time to print out that electrostatic motor and assemble it. This thing will get done, and I'll have some data to show.

Dave

Comment

• Can't send pm. I get:
                              Can not send message. User Turion has exceeded their private message quota.

Most of the links are dead.
                              Would you please send a link to schematic of that 1watt electrostatic motor?

I think i asked this last year, but with this new forum format can't find any thing any where.
                              So if you would be so kind and send it again if you got it?
                              I need schematic for electrostatic motor
                              for something else i am working on.

Thank you
                              Robur

Comment

• I believe if you scroll right at the link Turion has of his photos you will see the schematic in one of them. You need ad blockers off and adobe flash working on this site:
                                https://s34.photobucket.com/user/Dav...tml?sort=3&o=1
                                There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Quote from Almine

Comment

Working...
                                X