X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Switcher"

YouTube

What is this device?
    The Switcher is a self contained “Charger” and “Switching” device to fully manage the charging and loading (up to 15A) of two lead acid battery banks. The battery banks can consist of voltages from 12 – 48 VDC.
    What is the input?
    The switcher can be plugged into the grid with a voltage range from 90 – 264 Vac. This device can also be supplied by a special solar panel.
    What is this device used for?
    The applications of this Switcher are endless. Some common usages are to drive an inverter while being able to always supply a fresh battery source.
    How much does it cost?
    $399.00 (shipping extra).
    How do I order one?
    We are in the process of constructing a web site that will carry this product and many more. In the interim, please send me a PM if you are interested.

The Components (Fig. 1):

1. On / Off Switch
    2. Terminal connection
    3. Status Lights
    4. AC Input (90 – 264 Vac)
    5. Battery Bank 1 Connection (Blue) 12 – 48V
    6. Battery Bank 2 Connection (Blue) 12 – 48V
    7. Solar Connection (when used with special Solar Panel)
    8. Load Connection (Grey)

Thanks for looking

Bit's
    Attached Files

[QUOTE=Bit's-n-Bytes;238329]YouTube

Another Vid to show different usage.

"The Switcher" (Part 2) - YouTube

Thanks

Bit's

Comment

@BnB
      I'm not sure I understand, are you saying your selling a dual channel regulated buck converter rated at 15 amps for $399.00?. I guess it might be comparable to two regulated power supplies but there is still an issue concerning a UL CSA rating.

Don't get me wrong I think it's great that your doing this but at $399 I would expect a little more. I have built similar devices using a microcontroler for around $50 in parts.

Here is what I did and what I would like to see, An Arduino micocontroller based charger. I2C LCD displays current(hall effect current sensor), voltage, power in watts and energy in kw/Hrs. It should be noted there are six PWM outputs to drive an opto-isolated mosfet driver and six anolog inputs which could be multiplexed to monitor current/voltage, etc... . Just saying as a cheap bastard I would like to see a little more at $399.00.

AC

Comment

pricing

that is very reasonable pricing AC........ add your time to ANY project considering development costs and sourcing of components, prototyping etc, that is very reasonable.

in a true (not chinese) manufacturing environment its 5x component price so 5x50 is 300 plus 100 to stuff the board plus 50 to test and package. Jeff is selling at a discount.

price out your desired results component wise including production circuit boards and volume component purchases you wont break even for a year or so even if you sell 50 of them.

Tom C
        http://www.teslagenx.com

Comment

Hi Bits, Glad to see you have brought this to the point of a sale-able package. I have a couple questions. You say the load current maximum is 15 amps but at what voltage? Looking at the manual briefly I see reference to 101 to 200 watts. Is that the maximum battery charging power? At 48 volts it would be only roughly 2 or 4 amps?
          There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Quote from Almine

Comment

Originally posted by ewizard View Post
            Hi Bits, Glad to see you have brought this to the point of a sale-able package. I have a couple questions. You say the load current maximum is 15 amps but at what voltage? Looking at the manual briefly I see reference to 101 to 200 watts. Is that the maximum battery charging power? At 48 volts it would be only roughly 2 or 4 amps?
            Hey ewizard, thanks. The relay I use for switching is rated for 15A @ 30VDC (Res) and The reference to the input wattage is what the UL-CE listed power supply uses. Now to discuss what the battery actually see's, is very complex. In a "nano second", and on a moderately charged battery, it can see a > 50amp, 70V hit. The average hit (multiple hits per second) are usually around 9 - 12 amps at around 65Vdc. Please understand that I track the battery's capability to take a charge (which changes during the charge process) and adjust the algorithm in the microprocessor through feedback technologies. This allows the batteries to charge faster and hold the charge longer than conventional chargers.

Hope this helps,
            Thanks for your inquiry.

Jeff
            Last edited by Bit's-n-Bytes; 08-26-2013, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Jeff, could the Switcher charge a 48V bank of deep cycle batteries such as an electric golf cart? If so how long would it take, less than 24 hours to do so? If it could work you could pair the switcher with solar panels on top of the cart. I'm sure you have looked into doing this, so will it work?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruphus View Post
                Jeff, could the Switcher charge a 48V bank of deep cycle batteries such as an electric golf cart? If so how long would it take, less than 24 hours to do so? If it could work you could pair the switcher with solar panels on top of the cart. I'm sure you have looked into doing this, so will it work?
                Hi Ruphus, indeed it can. I have included a chart to show the charge rate in this scenairio. I have tested this charging (3 different cycles) in the setup you mentioned (minus the switching) which is displayed in the attached chart.

Thanks

Jeff
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X