Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you make your bi/tri/n-filar wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you make your bi/tri/n-filar wire?

I am having a heck of a time twisting three strands of 20 AWG by hand.

From the source spools I pull about a foot each and twist that portion, wind it onto another smaller spool, then repeat the process. It is going so slow and my hands and fingertips are hurting already, not to mention strain on the wrists put by constantly performing a corkscrew motion.

Is there an easier way to get this done? I do not have a backyard - I live on the top floor of the apartment building. Stretching the wire outside between two trees (if there were any in this concrete jungle) and use a cordless drill isn't really an option. Did I mention that space is pretty tight outside, in 2-300ft I'd probably bump into another building.

Thanks.
    Are the ravings of a lunatic signs of a genius?

My way is to build a device like this. three spools on a rotating disc-spun with hand drill on a rheostat, very slowly. the three wires get pulled out thru a teflon disc and to a spool. I hope the pictures are self explaining...

albert
    Attached Files

Comment

nice jig albert i need to make one it took me 2 days to wind a 5 strander by hand

i dont think im doing that again

Comment

Indeed that's a nice and simple rig, would definitely work in my (crammed apartment) environment - it seems ideal for people who do not have 100ft long backyards to stretch the wire back and forth.
        Are the ravings of a lunatic signs of a genius?

Comment

Nice....

Nice Rig Albert!

Simple, Compact and Apparently Tried And Tested....

RedMeanie
          (psst...Don't Tell Anyone, But I'm Really Not Mean!)

Comment

Albert got some beautiful coils off that rig. It really shows when you take your time in construction. Another method of twisting is just with a electric drill. I made a machine like alberts, but I couldnt get the tension right and gave up pretty quick. Instead I fixed the three spools to a wall on a roller. Next I got a piece of pvc pipe bout 20mm diameter and put a bolt through the middle. Pulled the wires out and wrapped a few turns around the center of the pipe near the bolt. Then put the bolt in the drill and spun it, twisting the wires. It helps if you pinch the wires off from the rolls so there is tension. Once you have sufficient twists stop the drill and wrap the wire evenly around the pipe, i.e. equal turns on either side of the drill chuck, so the weight is even when you start your helicopter pipe up again!

Its not perfect, and you still have to be patient, but it beats buying twistite from a dealer.
            "Once you've come to the conclusion that what what you know already is all you need to know, then you have a degree in disinterest." - John Dobson

Comment

Working...
            X