X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkyWatcher
    replied
    Hi sean, thanks for the reply.
    From memory, think the larger turn 24awg. coil did not have the same charge rate, though not sure if it was more efficient or not.
    Still using the same air coil charger for months now, to recharge all AA's used here and the AA rechargeables are doing very well under this type of charging.
    Though would like to make a larger air coil, with something like 18 gauge and just keep wrapping turns until the same 1.5 or so ohms is reached.
    Would be interesting to see if all that added copper mass would add any benefits to charging the cells.
    peace love light

Leave a comment:

• SeanK
    replied
    Which coil yielded better results

Hi Tyson,
    In you initial posts you mentioned you made the Alexkor circuit coil with more turns than shown in his original circuit. Did your coil yield better results ?

Leave a comment:

• harctan
    replied
    Originally posted by harctan View Post
    Hello all. I've been experimenting with this type of pulse charger for the past few days and I thought I'd share my results. I used only what I had in hand at the moment. I drive the transistor using a 555 timer IC at 687Hz and 52% duty cycle. I attach the schematic and a picture of my setup. The coil is from leftover 0.45mm(AWG #25) magnet wire about 10 Ohms resistance, single-filar, air-core, sloppily wound. I use two relatively new SLA 12V 1.3Ah batteries, witch are conditioned from a bedini fan for about 10 charge-discharge cycles. Before the test one battery was charged to 14.5V and the other was driven down to 11.2V. Resting voltages were 12.79V for drive battery and 11.96V for charge battery. After 2h17min drive battery droped to 11.20V and charging voltage on the second battery was 12.69V. Resting voltages (after a few hours) were 12.10V for drive battery and 12.29V for charge battery. Amp draw from the drive battery registered at ~70mA which is obviously not accurate. During the charging the batteries and the transistor remained cool while the coil got just a little warm. Next day I swapped the batteries and repeated the experiment. Resting voltages were now 12.27V for drive battery and 12.14V for charge battery. After 47min they went to 11.20V and 12.59V charging voltage respectively. Resting voltage settled at 11.98V and 12.26V.
    I repeated the same experiment but now I increased the frequency from 680Hz to 3.5kHz which gave me better results. Starting voltages for drive and charge battery where 12.90V and 11.84V respectively. After about 10 hours they reached 11.20V and 12.82V and they settled at resting voltages of 11.82V and 12.40V. I swapped the batteries and now it took 5:30 hours for the primary battery to drop to 11.20V while the charge battery reached 12.52V. Final resting voltages were 11.79V and 12.20V. During this test the batteries, transistor and coil remained cool.

Leave a comment:

• SkyWatcher
    replied
    Hi folks, Hi guruji, only have 12volt-7ah on hand and it does charge those very well also and is NOT a fluff charge, it is solid.
    Next step might be to try a multistrand coil with transistor for each strand, though not sure if that will affect frequency and performance.
    Maybe just separate air coils with all flyback diode outputs merged into one output might work.
    Even still, this works fine as is, just takes longer to charge the bigger batteries.
    peace love light
    tyson

Leave a comment:

• Guruji
    replied
    Skywatcher did you try that charge on big 12v batteries?
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• harctan
    replied
    Hello all. I've been experimenting with this type of pulse charger for the past few days and I thought I'd share my results. I used only what I had in hand at the moment. I drive the transistor using a 555 timer IC at 687Hz and 52% duty cycle. I attach the schematic and a picture of my setup. The coil is from leftover 0.45mm(AWG #25) magnet wire about 10 Ohms resistance, single-filar, air-core, sloppily wound. I use two relatively new SLA 12V 1.3Ah batteries, witch are conditioned from a bedini fan for about 10 charge-discharge cycles. Before the test one battery was charged to 14.5V and the other was driven down to 11.2V. Resting voltages were 12.79V for drive battery and 11.96V for charge battery. After 2h17min drive battery droped to 11.20V and charging voltage on the second battery was 12.69V. Resting voltages (after a few hours) were 12.10V for drive battery and 12.29V for charge battery. Amp draw from the drive battery registered at ~70mA which is obviously not accurate. During the charging the batteries and the transistor remained cool while the coil got just a little warm. Next day I swapped the batteries and repeated the experiment. Resting voltages were now 12.27V for drive battery and 12.14V for charge battery. After 47min they went to 11.20V and 12.59V charging voltage respectively. Resting voltage settled at 11.98V and 12.26V.
    Last edited by harctan; 12-25-2012, 06:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SkyWatcher
    replied
    Hi luno, thank you very much for that web forum link, translating all the russian text to English right now, to gather more information.
    One thing for sure, almost any cell type seems to love the high frequency, high voltage, low current spikes of this air coil radiant charger.
    AA nicads and AA nimh that should have been thrown out years ago, i kept for some reason, this charger is bringing back to life dozens of AA rechargeable cells, that most other radiant pulse chargers would not rejuvenate like this one can.
    Of course it also works on pretty much any other type of cell also, even alkaline, etc.
    This air coil charger is the main charger in use here, since it rejuvenates so well.
    Will be trying to improve the output for faster charging of larger batteries and hope to gain some insights from that Russian forum, thanks again luno.
    peace love light
    tyson

Leave a comment:

• SkyWatcher
    replied
    Hi holtage, a picture is in the first post of this thread.
    Used heavier duty cardboard tube (6" length X 1-3/8" diameter) from used up plastic wrap roll.
    Used 24awg. bifilar (2 strands) magnet wire and taped the ends.
    Still use this charger almost everyday, as it charges the smaller size cells very well, as well as 7AH size and rejuvenates them at the same time.
    Have a couple different wall transformers for different voltages, depending on cell type to be charged.
    Hope that helps, any other questions, just ask.
    peace love light
    tyson

Leave a comment:

• holtage
    replied
    How is your air core coil made? (The Alexkor Air Core Coil Radiant Charger)

Hi, Skywatcher. I want to ask you a question.
    In this thread, you make a Alexkor circuit. I don't know How to wind the coil onto the air core, can you tell me how to wind the coil onto the air core, and if you can, give a photo of your air core to let me see how it looks like? Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• SkyWatcher
    replied
    Hi nick, thanks for the informative reply.
    Yes, so with those other AA's i was testing, 5 extra charge cycles at half capacity is not too bad and with no leakage.
    Will see what happens to these other two.
    I did not know that these alkalines have mercury and cadmium in them.
    Well that changes things a bit, meaning to me, that unless I have these already on hand or used, I am only buying nimh in future.
    Even though i think i read that already, thanks for reminding me that these are poison.
    peace love light
    tyson

Leave a comment:

• Nick_Z
    replied
    New alkaline AA batteries are about 1.6v and 1500mA. The rechargeable AAs (cheaper ones) are only 1.2v and 600 mA, so there is a bit of difference there.
    But, the charging voltage and current also makes a difference in how long they'll run after a charge. Using the 2000 to 2700 mA AA rechargeables would of course be best. But, for these test on charging with HV, any will work. You may find that charging regular AA batteries to full capacity will make them leak, in time. So what, just throw them away and use another, they work fine for several cycles. Even if they leak a bit, they can just be washed out, and still get some more use out of them.
    I'm still curious to see how they'll handle the HV though. I'll charge the alkaline all night and see what happens. It has some goodies in it, like Mercury and cadmium. Nice! I hope it can take it...
    I really can't tell if I'm charging it with the 4.5v, that the meter is reading, or with the higher voltage, low current the Exciter actually puts out. In any case it does seam to work good after the charge, and does not get hot, so far.
    Last edited by Nick_Z; 08-28-2012, 02:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SkyWatcher
    replied
    Hi nick, thanks for the reply.
    My past tests with charging alkalines or carbon primary cells with a standard charger or one similar, always resulted in some heat in the cell and a fairly quick loss of capacity after only a few charge cycles.
    However, this air core coil radiant setup, is now on its 6th charge-discharge cycle, showing improvements in average voltage and capacity, though as said, the capacity is lower than a fresh store bought cell, for now.
    I am going to continue these charge cycle tests on these 2 AA alkaline cells until I'm silver haired if need be, so we will all then know how reliably we can reuse these alkaline cells, maybe carbon cells will be my next tests.
    peace love light
    tyson

edit: just finished 6th charge cycle and it seems one of the AA cells has started to falter, whereas the other one has not, it is possible i over charged them, maybe 1.8 volts under charge should be the limit. I will start charge cycling a different set of identical AA alkalines and charge to only 1.8 volts and see if either of the cells start to lose capacity.
    Last edited by SkyWatcher; 08-28-2012, 01:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Nick_Z
    replied
    Tyson:
    Yesterday I put a dead AA alkaline battery to charge from my Exciter circuit to see what it would do. The dead alkaline was first placed to run on a Jtc to the point of showing hardly no light output on the led. The first time I only charged the regular AA for a hour, or so, from the HV secondary on the Exciter circuit. And afterwards discharged it on my Jtc until is was dim, but not dead. That took about two hours time, from a one hour charge.
    The second charge was about two hours charging, and the AA was charged and was providing very good light output from the Jtc. which lasted about 3 hours time.
    The output from the Exciter is only showing 4.5 volts, same as its input source (cell phone charger), yet plasma is present on the secondary output wire end, and it is giving the RF burns also. So, the volt/amp meter is not telling all, however what I'm concerned about it that the circuit may only be charging the same or similar to a normal AA charger. No better, and no worse. Probably more test are in order.
    Nick

Leave a comment:

• holtage
    replied
    Please explain the working principle of Alexkor circuit

Hi, Skywatcher!

Are the four 12 volt 12 ampere hour SLA(sealed lead-acid) batteries charge the 12 volt 8 ampere hour SLA(sealed lead-acid) battery?

OR

Is the 12 volt 8 ampere hour SLA(sealed lead-acid) battery charge the four 12 volt 12 ampere hour SLA(sealed lead-acid) batteries?

If the four 12 volt 12 ampere hour batteries are being charged, where did the energy of the 12 volt 8 ampere hour battery come from? From the radiant air core or the charge plug specifically made to charge the 12 volt 8 ampere hour battery? And Vice versa.

Leave a comment:

• SkyWatcher
    replied
    Hi folks, I was reading another website on alkalines and I did not realize, that the typical fully charged resting voltage of an alkaline cell is around 1.65-1.7 volts.
    I will now be charging to a higher voltage based on this information, I was charging to 1.8 volts, now it will be to 1.9volts, to see how the capacity improves.
    I should also mention, that the latest charge test finished and the cells reached the 1.8 volt per cell under charge load much quicker than before, though I am going to put them on charge again and bring them up higher.
    Certainly, encouraging results in my view.
    peace love light
    tyson

Leave a comment:

Working...
X