Alexkor Air Core Coil Radiant Charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alexkor Air Core Coil Radiant Charger

Hi folks, this radiant charger is working so well and is cheap to make, thought i would start a thread for it.
    Has anyone tried this setup.
    Hi folks, I am trying different circuits that i see in some of patrick kellys pdfs, etc. and I am having good results with alexkor's air core coil radiant charger.
    I made the air core coil (24awg.) with twice as many turns as i should have though and will make another one with the recommended turns.
    Using a nte2300 fast switching npn with 1.5kohm base resistor and a .1uf capacitor across base resistor.
    I initially was using a nte5817 diode and results were not that great, then i took a couple of salvaged her303 diodes, placed them in series and the charging output increased dramatically, though the input doubled to 250 milliamps, not completely sure why.
    Using a 12volt, 7ah input to charge another identical battery, though i will try charging a 48 volt battery bank next, as i think it will charge well with this setup.
    The coil is one layer on cardboard tube, like the slayer exciters, so the frequency is probably high.
    Here is the circuit from kelly's chapter 6 pdf.
    http://free-energy-info.co.uk/Chapter6.pdf

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hi folks, in case anyone is interested, i looked up the specifications for the nte5817 diode i was using, compared to the her303's i am using now as far as max. reverse recovery time.
    The nte5817 diode is rated at 2.5us and the her303 is rated at 50ns.
    So that is a huge difference in speed, 50 times faster and explains why this air core coil setup is now working so well as alexkor pointed out in his improvement circuit.
    And the nte2300 i am using has a max. 400ns fall time, so that helps also.
    Your thoughts on this alexkor circuit are appreciated, has anyone built this circuit or intends to as i am very impressed by its performance.
    peace love light
    tyson

I took a scan through the Alexkor info in Kelly's book. It indeed looks well worth spending some time with and most of his circuits are quite simple. At the most his 555 timer is the most complex part and those are not hard to work with. Cheap too Have you done any run tests with the charged battery to see if it has real power versus just a higher voltage? If it is really being charged with radiant I believe it can take several times to 'condition' the battery. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Adding it to the 'must try' list.
    There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Quote from Almine

Comment

Good going

Yes I have bought the parts to try this also.
      Its great to hear you are happy
      Maybe try starting with 2 batteries nearly flat and swap them from supply to load until they are both full then you are sure of O/U.
      Happy Hunting

Comment

Hi ewizard, thanks for the reply.
        All the batteries i have, have been consistently charged with radiant energy, same with the ones I'm testing with this circuit.
        So far the charge seems solid, as far as radiant goes.
        Though, i am running charge discharge cycles to see how long the batteries will power a reasonable load compared to input, etc. testing AA's and the SLA 12 volt batteries.
        I'm more surprised that this type of coil even charges this well, though the frequency is very high, so that is part of the reason i would imagine.
        A single AA nimh 2000mah under charge using this circuit draws 140 miiliamps from my 13.8 volt power supply and the 12volt, 7ah SLA draws 250 milliamps.
        I look forward to your results.
        peace love light
        tyson

edit: Hi gsmsslsb, thanks for the reply and the kind words and information to try. I have no idea how efficient the circuit really is yet, though it does seem good.
        edit: wanted to add that i made my coil twice as many turns as alexkor did, mine is 4 ohms, 24awg wire, where as his is 2 ohms, i plan to make another coil half the size so it is identical to his.
        Last edited by SkyWatcher; 08-14-2012, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Hi Skywatcher - sounds pretty good. I'm fairly familiar with AA NiMH charging times using a Maha charger where you set the charge rate you want. I usually charge a 2000 mah battery at 1000 mah. Depending on how far discharged they were it can take from an hour or two to several hours. Just curious with the 140 mah draw about how long it takes to charge yours with the Alexkor setup.

Can you tell me your source for the MJE13009 and the NTE5817? I found the diode but a bit expensive from my usual source and the transistor didn't show up at all from them. Thanks !
          There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Quote from Almine

Comment

The charge times for a single AA nimh 2000mah are not looking very good, 6 hours at 13.8volt,140milliamp input, though I'm sure that could be tuned for better efficiency.
            Then again, these AA cells i am using, may not be fully conditioned properly to take this charge well.
            I will be making more tweaks to see if i can improve the efficiency.
            peace love light
            tyson

edit: also, while I'm testing this circuit, I'm working on a bob boyce/yohan variant with the toroid and 3 coils at 120 degrees.
            Going to try it with three separate bifilar coils using joule thief circuit for each one, signal transistors to start with, 2n4403 or the KSA928A transistors i salvaged.
            Last edited by SkyWatcher; 08-15-2012, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Hi folks, I finished a charge-discharge cycle with the 2-AA's with a known led flashlight load and it ran the full 3 hours that the flashlight normally lasts for when charging the cells from a standard charger, so it is definitely a solid charge, the next step is to make it more efficient if possible.
              What is interesting, is that normally with other radiant chargers i have built and of course the standard wall charger, the cells become warm when charge is almost complete, though with this setup, there is no heat noticeable in the AA nimh cells.
              peace love light
              tyson

Comment

I need the Parts list for Alexkor circuit

I need the Parts list for Alexkor circuit which is the same as the one you mentioned in this thread. Please send me one copy to irdex@hotmail.com

Note:
                Alexkor circuit only mentioned that a 2700 pf capacitor is needed but it doesn't specify what types of capacitor to be needed. I'm quite confused. When I search for the text "2700 pf capacitor", eBay return the following 9 results:

1. Philips Metallized Film Capacitor 2700pF 250V

2. 2700pf/500V Silver Mica Capacitor

3. 2700pF 15KV DC High Voltage Ceramic Disc Capacitor

4. CAPACITOR 2700PF 2000V

5. Panasonic Polyester Film Capacitor
                2700pF 50V 5% ECQ-B

6. Yaego MLCC Capacitor 2700pF 50V 0402 X7R C0402KRX7R9BB272

7. Philips Metallized Film Capacitor 2700pF 250V

8. 2700pf ploy capacitor

9. 2700PF 500V 5% SILVER MICA AUDIO CAPACITOR CMR06F272JODM -JAN SANG NOS

which one should I purchase for the Alexkor circuit.

-----------------------------------------------

For the 12V 8-amp-hour battery, I search for "12v 8 amp hour battery" on ebay and ebay returns 6 results as follow:

1. 12 Volt 8 Amp Hour Replaces 12v 7ah SLA Battery. SLA1075 Power Patrol Battery.

2. 2PK 12VOLT 8AMP HOUR RECHARGEABLE SEALED 12V 8AH BATTERY W 6 & 12V 110AC CHARGER

3. 12 VOLT 8AMP HOUR RECHARGEABLE SEALED BACKUP ALARM TOYS LIGHTS 12V 8AH BATTERY

4. UPG 12VOLT 8AMP HOUR RECHARGEABLE SEALED BACKUP ALARM TOYS LIGHTS 12V 8AH BATTER

5. 12VOLT 8AMP HOUR RECHARGEABLE SEALED LEAD ACID ALARM LIGHTS 12V 8AH BATTERY

6. 12VOLT 8AMP HOUR RECHARGEABLE SEALED 12V 8AH BATTERY W 110VAC WALLCHARGER

which one should I choose? (is sealed lead acid battery the best?)

----------------------------------------------------
                Four 12V 12AHr battery are needed for the Alexkor circuit, I found the batteries needed on ebay. Is the following item the one for being the 12V 12AHr battery (total 4 battery is needed) for the Alexkor Circuit?

ITEM: eBay: 12 Volt 12 Amp Hour High Quality Rechargable SLA Battery BSL1105 12v 12ah.

What types of diode I should buy on ebay for the Alexkor circuit (the first one not the advanced Alexkor circuit), can you do me a favor by searching on ebay and give the result for the diode? Also, how about the neon and 2000ohm resistor? Search for me on ebay and sent me the result. Thanks
                ----------------------------------------------------------
                Lastly, I want to asked how about earthing on Alexkor circuit? Does Alexkor circuit need earthing for electrical safety to protect me from electric shock from electric leakage of Alexkor circuit? Or the Alexkor circuit is safe enough that no earthing is needed for Alexkor circuit?

Please REPLY to answer my questions via email(irdex@hotmail.com) or in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyWatcher View Post
                  The charge times for a single AA nimh 2000mah are not looking very good, 6 hours at 13.8volt,140milliamp input, though I'm sure that could be tuned for better efficiency.
                  Then again, these AA cells i am using, may not be fully conditioned properly to take this charge well.
                  I will be making more tweaks to see if i can improve the efficiency.
                  peace love light
                  tyson

edit: also, while I'm testing this circuit, I'm working on a bob boyce/yohan variant with the toroid and 3 coils at 120 degrees.
                  Going to try it with three separate bifilar coils using joule thief circuit for each one, signal transistors to start with, 2n4403 or the KSA928A transistors i salvaged.
                  Actually that seems pretty good for just 140 ma input. I wonder if you can reduce the input voltage. Not sure what's needed for the transistor and for neon to fire. For charging AA's though if it would run at a lower voltage that would be even more impressive.

holtage, You sent me a PM but sorry I'm just getting familiar with the Alexkor so maybe Skywatcher or someone else can answer your questions better. I'm not up to speed on it to be giving any good answers.

Comment

Hi ewizard, thanks for the reply, I'll try lower voltage for charging the AA's.
                    Hi holtage, i just used whatever parts i had on hand and also whatever worked ok in the circuit i have built.
                    I used a metal film capacitor, 50volt-.1uf, from R.S.
                    My diodes were salvaged from something, don't remember what now, though they are 200v-fast switching, 3A/125A peak, 50ns recovery time.
                    I would not use slower diodes in this setup, as they will not give you very good charging.
                    I have 12volt-7ah SLA's.
                    Got my neon from R.S. awhile back.
                    This particular alexkor circuit does not use earth grounding as far as i am aware, though i did notice another circuit design he has that does, in the pdf.
                    peace love light
                    tyson

Comment

Hi folks, just wanted to let you folks know, that i made a mistake when i said my air core coil is 4 ohms, each strand of the bifilar is actually 1.5 ohms, so that is what the input battery sees as ohms.
                      What I have found with this air coil, is that it really is nice at desulfating the battery and probably could be more efficient with better base resistor and cap tuning.
                      I am going to try a different coil for a few tests, it has the brooks coil geometry, plastic roll from the R.S. magnet wire 3 packs.
                      Again 24 awg. bifilar, though this one has 3.7 ohms per strand, so more wire and more compact and i believe from past tests with this coil, it self oscillates without any capacitor across base, though we will see tomorrow.
                      peace love light
                      tyson

Comment

Answer me........

Do the 12Volts 12 Amp hour battery you used are also SLA(Sealed Lead Acid) battery ?

What does "R.S." mean?

3. What resistor you used for the 2K ohm resistor of the alexkor circuit?

4. You said you use metal film capacitor 50 volt. But the Alexkor circuit document say that a capacitor of 2700 pf is needed. Why you use a capacitor of 50 volt instead?

5. Can you do me a favor by by giving the ebay webpage result address of each components of the parts list of the Alexkor circuit you used before/you supposed to the most suitable/ideal materials for the parts list?

Comment

Hi holtage, I just used what parts and salvaged parts I had on hand.
                          R.S. is radio shack.
                          I used the R.S. .1uf-50 volt capacitor because it caused my coil to oscillate nicely, your coil and setup may vary due to differences.
                          I used a 1.5kohm base resistor, because that is the closest single value i had on hand.
                          I have been making more tests with this single layer air coil, it seems to be charging non-rechargeable alkaline AA cells very well.
                          I powered an led flashlight i used in other tests for almost 4 hours charged by this air coil setup.
                          Interestingly, the AA cells never became warm under load, as they normally do in this flashlight, of course the load caused a more severe voltage drop, since the alkalines cannot handle such a high load for longer periods like nimh AA cells can, which have a more flat discharge curve.
                          I am using a wallwart to power this setup now, it shows input, 4.5 volts under load at 74 milliamps, by measuring voltage drop across 1 ohm resistor.
                          I checked radiant flyback output also with 1 ohm voltage drop method and it showed 64 milliamps at 64 millivolts drop.
                          Of course, high voltage spikes enter battery to charge it radiantly and all cells and batteries stay stone cold.
                          peace love light
                          tyson

edit: i should state that the led flashlight load i used on these alkalines, normally draws around 420 milliamps with the 2 AA cells in series and as that load causes the voltage to drop on the alkalines, the current tapers off to around 190 milliamps at around the 4 hour discharge time period.
                          Though I am probably discharging these AA alkalines to low, since they were at just above 1 volt each after the discharge test.
                          Last edited by SkyWatcher; 08-19-2012, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Hi folks, here is the led flashlight I am using as a discharge load for the 2-AA alkaline cells, it has 12 leds.
                            And to the right, is the rayovac type alkaline AA cells i am successfully recharging with this circuit setup.
                            I think these cells really prefer this high frequency pulsing, as they stay cold as ice and so far, seem to be taking the charge really well, without any signs or symptoms, that they will leak anytime soon, which is normally a problem with all other chargers I've built and tested.
                            Your thoughts are welcome, has anyone else successfully charged alkalines or other non-rechargeable cells, thanks.

peace love light
                            tyson

Comment

Originally posted by SkyWatcher View Post

And to the right, is the rayovac type alkaline AA cells i am successfully recharging with this circuit setup.
                              That seems like a useful circuit. Do you have several AA cells in series for charging? If so how many? If you have a scope it would be good to document the pulse voltage you are using to charge the AA cells. You basically have a Joule thief circuit, so I suspect that maybe many Joule thiefs could be used to do the same thing. You can check to see how fully charged the AA battery is by putting a resistor of a few ohms across the battery and measuring the time it takes the voltage to drop to 0.8 volts. This is the standard low voltage used when calculating the mah printed on the battery.
                              Approximate mah = (hours) x (1000) / (ohms)
                              Last edited by xee2; 08-20-2012, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X