My Asymmetric Electrodynamic Machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shylo View Post
    Hi UFO and All, I followed this thread from the beginning.(Excellent by the way).
    But I did miss a few things here and there.
    I 'm looking to wind a 16 pole , since I want a lot of torque .
    I'm sure I seen this here , but after re-reading many pages I haven't found it.
    Found the perfect motor that you can fit 2 com's without modifying the housing.
    Just not sure of the winding pattern ,or connections.
    If you have the time , it will be appreciated.
    Keep up the great work, it's well appreciated.
    artv
    G'day Shylo
    Here is one that I have wound it is a 250W MY1060 Chinese motor

It has been shown before probably 2 months ago
    I hope this is what you are looking for.
    Kindest Regards

Kogs trying to be helpful

Comment

• P16

Originally posted by shylo View Post
      Hi UFO and All, I followed this thread from the beginning.(Excellent by the way).
      But I did miss a few things here and there.
      I 'm looking to wind a 16 pole , since I want a lot of torque .
      I'm sure I seen this here , but after re-reading many pages I haven't found it.
      Found the perfect motor that you can fit 2 com's without modifying the housing.
      Just not sure of the winding pattern ,or connections.
      If you have the time , it will be appreciated.
      Keep up the great work, it's well appreciated.
      artv

Hello Shylo and thanks,

Shylo, sorry but it is NOT recommended to start on a high end pole motor configuration like a 16 poles, (guessing , cause you did not mentioned it...with Four Stators and Four Brushes) without even building a simple and inexpensive Five Pole miniature motor from Radio Shack or any other place like Gold Mine Motors site.

Once that you Build a Five Pole (P5 SERIES, NOT Single or Dual Pentagon Type) which have extensive material on my site and on this Thread...Then You will get the "Asymmetric Modular Pair Sequencing Basics"...and this experience would be required and fundamental to expand into any P# Series Winding, including a P28 Imperial.

It is very difficult and not guaranteed that you could jump right into a P16 and expect to do it perfectly well the first time...besides, you will be taking very precious time from many experienced and working members in more advanced models at this point...plus filling the thread with already displayed/existing old material.

But, then again, we are all "grown up" here right?......and You could do as you please...besides, everybody is different...you may have a lot of previous experience in winding motors from before...or maybe you are just brilliant in making "something" from scratch...only YOU know your capabilities friend...so, the Plans for the original P16 I rendered here is on :

UFOPOLITICS » SIXTEEN_POLES

Plus, there is a part on this Thread where I was guiding Member Turion on this first P16...As I believe he has also some nice videos on "How To"...exactly on this build.

Turion Video here: UFO Coil Winding for Dummies - YouTube

So... by all means...go for it and have fun and good luck

Regards

Ufopolitics
      Last edited by Ufopolitics; 01-29-2014, 03:17 AM.
      Principles for the Development of a Complete Mind: Study the science of art. Study the art of science. Develop your senses- especially learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else.― Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• Kogs Imperial P56 Update

Originally posted by iankoglin View Post
        G'day UFO and Team
        I did as UFO suggested and wound with the thicker wire not thinner bifilar.
        I have finished winding 3 Poles on My P56 Motor I wound it with AWG18 which is 1 mm diam. I wound each half pole with 15 turns which makes 30 turns for each pole I measured the Ohms on my DMM and it read 2 Ohms I then read each Pole on my motor and it read 6 Ohms each minus the DMM Ohms = 2 Ohms for each Pole.
        G'day UFO and Team
        Today I finished winding my first Imperial P56 Armature
        I used AWG#18 wire 15 turns per half pair each Pair measured 0,6/0.7 Ohms depending what time of day when hotter the ohms rises.

It took me about 40 hours to wind and put in the hedges I used 1.5mm Fibre board Offcuts of blank circuit boards I just etched the copper off.
        The bare armature with bearings weighed 6.930kg and after winding was finished without the hedges weighed 8.902kg

@ UFO After I finished winding I realized I could have done the 17
        http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...6/IMG_0173.jpg

The Pics are here
        Imperial P56 Slideshow by Kogs1 | Photobucket

Now I have to negotiate getting this Armature along with the other 3 smaller armatures Varnished and Balanced
        I will keep you all Posted

Kindest Regards

Kogs gradually getting there.

Comment

• Nice!!

Originally posted by iankoglin View Post
          G'day UFO and Team
          Today I finished winding my first Imperial P56 Armature
          I used AWG#18 wire 15 turns per half pair each Pair measured 0,6/0.7 Ohms depending what time of day when hotter the ohms rises.

It took me about 40 hours to wind and put in the hedges I used 1.5mm Fibre board Offcuts of blank circuit boards I just etched the copper off.
          The bare armature with bearings weighed 6.930kg and after winding was finished without the hedges weighed 8.902kg

@ UFO After I finished winding I realized I could have done the 17
          http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...6/IMG_0173.jpg

The Pics are here
          Imperial P56 Slideshow by Kogs1 | Photobucket

Now I have to negotiate getting this Armature along with the other 3 smaller armatures Varnished and Balanced
          I will keep you all Posted

Kindest Regards

Kogs gradually getting there.

Hello Kogs!

Wow, nice Machine My Friend!

I know you measured ALL Pairs resistance (from P1 to P28) as also to verify if all showing continuity/right connection between elements...but, did you run a test with just one end of meter to one commutator element and other to ground/steel core...checking out for "leaks or short to ground from all coils?

The other test would be to check from element to next element for short between Two adjacent Pairs...

In my opinion, you should test drive motor operation before sending them to varnish/balance process...at least Imperial with like 12V then a 24V test with batteries...measure RPM's, V in/V Out plus DC Amps...mean, simple testing...film it and let Us watch video...

The reason why...is to be completely sure the timing settings and all other mechanical alignments (brushes/bearings,etc) are fine.

Plus We all will get to see that Beast Unleashed...as I know Machine Alive is getting nervous...

Thanks and warm regards

Ufopolitics
          Principles for the Development of a Complete Mind: Study the science of art. Study the art of science. Develop your senses- especially learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else.― Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• Excellent job Kogs, well done, Jeeze those imperials are a good choice by UFO, so chunky.

I can only hope and wish, that my rotor looks as good when i finish.

Warm Regards Fellow Aussie, Cornboy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ufopolitics View Post
              Hello Kogs!

Wow, nice Machine My Friend!

I know you measured ALL Pairs resistance (from P1 to P28) as also to verify if all showing continuity/right connection between elements...but, did you run a test with just one end of meter to one commutator element and other to ground/steel core...checking out for "leaks or short to ground from all coils?

The other test would be to check from element to next element for short between Two adjacent Pairs...

In my opinion, you should test drive motor operation before sending them to varnish/balance process...at least Imperial with like 12V then a 24V test with batteries...measure RPM's, V in/V Out plus DC Amps...mean, simple testing...film it and let Us watch video...

The reason why...is to be completely sure the timing settings and all other mechanical alignments (brushes/bearings,etc) are fine.

Plus We all will get to see that Beast Unleashed...as I know Machine Alive is getting nervous...

Thanks and warm regards

Ufopolitics
              G'day UFO
              Yes I did check all adjacent commutator elements also I have checked all separate commutator elements with the shaft NO Shorts

I did however measure the shaft end to end and it measured 0.4 Ohms But of course you are not interested in that
              I will put the motor together tomorrow and make a video

Kindest regards Pal

Kogs getting excited

Comment

• Originally posted by Cornboy 555 View Post
                Excellent job Kogs, well done, Jeeze those imperials are a good choice by UFO, so chunky.

I can only hope and wish, that my rotor looks as good when i finish.

Warm Regards Fellow Aussie, Cornboy.
                G'day Cornboy
                You need to pull those wires really tight at each angle as you go especially in the slots as you go it is really hard to pull the wire in the last 2/3 pairs

Hurry up and finish yours we are all anxious

Kindest Regards to you Pal

Kogs in waiting

Comment

• Great Job

Hi Kogs,

Great Job. A model for the followers like me. Eager to see its run. I'll be ready with mine ( 1 hp 15-pole) by tomorrow. Now circuit is in pending. Batteries yet to be collected. Couldn't make it today. Winding job took away the whole day. Though the band is applied, fingers swelled How are your fingers after 40 hours of winding job

Regards and Namaste

Kumar

Comment

• Kogs
                    Congratulations on the rotor build. It looks beautiful.

For others following this, you will notice that Kogs took his time and asked many questions. Even after building a number of other motors, this is a big job. I also feel that what UFO has stated about starting with a small motor is important for most to do first. Making a mistake on an imperial is both costly and time consuming.
                    I am proud of you all.
                    Dana
                    "Today's scientist have substituted mathematics for experiments and they wander off through equation after equation and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality."
                    Nikola Tesla

Comment

• Re: Kogs Imperial P56 Update post 6160

Kogs, very professional. A work of art.

Nice view of the commutator connections...

Can you tell be if you did anything special to bind the wire in the commutator slots? Or just a tight fit and that is all you need? On my Baldor for production they stamped the slot hard to smash commutator down on the wire. I have one commutator I have dremmeled out the slots but I don't think they are as deep and square as a new pristine commutator. And now I am going to put the wire pieces back and use a connector. DOH! So I was thinking about trying to stamp the slots again with the wired connector in place with a flat-nosed punch...

I was trying to use a butane micro-torch on the wire connectors with brazing material. While it could melt the brazing rod nicely, it can't seem to melt the rod onto the wire attached to the big heat sink commutator. So I wll be moving up to my acetylene torch now, on as low a flame as poss. methinks...
                      Up, Up and Away

Comment

• Kogs!

to the UFO Imperial Club!

The Club is growing!

Keep it Clean and Green!

Midaz

Comment

• Nice motor kogs, looking good.

UFO, or anyone, I was wondering about what to put on steel plates. I was going to spay a couple coats of insulation, then a coat of varnish, Dolph products. Before I cut some rings and things. What do you use UFO?

Machine

Comment

• Originally posted by machinealive View Post
                            Nice motor kogs, looking good.

UFO, or anyone, I was wondering about what to put on steel plates. I was going to spay a couple coats of insulation, then a coat of varnish, Dolph products. Before I cut some rings and things. What do you use UFO?

Machine
                            Yeah Machine...Kogs Motor looks impressive...so get ready for the "War of Machines"...

What to put on steel plates?...steel plates for what application?

I do not like to use any spray on insulation, unless it is a hand pre-mixed ratio hardener-resin-reducer...then sprayed with my specific guns...all spray cans insulation are BS when it comes to right drying time and heat sinking capacity.plus a very robust/rigid coating ...

I like the epoxy insulation that you mix and roll on or brush on, without reducing it.

If you are gonna cut the steel...I never insulate it first...but grind it, smooth it, sand it etc...then insulate the final piece when tested that it is fine...

Regards

Ufopolotics

Comment

• Hey UFO

Have you ever insulated your laminations with a thin insulator before they were stacked and welded? I thought I may try that, unless you absolutely know, that it is a bad idea.

Machine

Comment

• Originally posted by machinealive View Post
                                Hey UFO

Have you ever insulated your laminations with a thin insulator before they were stacked and welded? I thought I may try that, unless you absolutely know, that it is a bad idea.

Machine

Have not done that Machine.
                                But if you are going to weld them...the welding will conduct through plates...

I do not see it as a bad idea...can not see advantages either, other than trying to eliminate more effectively the eddy currents right at coils core space...

Take care

Ufopolitics

Comment

Working...
                                X