Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC motor converts easily to AC generator

Originally posted by ewizard View Post
    Yes the forum has it's share of hiccups.

I have a question that is probably stupid simple but I'm really lacking in basic knowledge on motors. I would PM UFOPolitics but I think he is so busy I'd like to ask here where I know there are a lot of motor smart people. I bought an Asynchronous 3 phase motor on a good deal. I understand these can be used to generate power when run a little over their rated speed (driven mechanically by an external source). Can one rewire a 3 phase motor like this to produce single phase power? I have info on how to rewire it as a single phase motor but I don't know if that works to produce single phase power when it is turned by another motor or engine. Thanks for any help with this.
    Hey ewizard, I have looked into converting an AC induction motor (aka shade pole motor aka squirrel cage motor) to generation in my post #5389. Almost got it working after a couple different hookups and shocks to get some residual magnetism. Here is the link that I used, was trying to see how much power I could get out of a smaller asym DC motor build I made, but my AC generator selection was too big for it. I burnt up a brush set. I have a downsized AC motor I will try it again sometime soon, but concentrating on a bigger build now. Save this How to Convert An Induction motor to a generator link to a keeper file, although its been up for almost 15 yrs. Don't know if you can convert phases, its a winding coil wiring design thingy. you want single phase generation, use a single phase motor, etc.
    Last edited by sampojo; 10-24-2013, 12:02 AM.
    Up, Up and Away

Comment

• Thanks sampojo! Saved that page too.

I've followed the people making Rotoverters on and off for several years and I believe they usually use 3 phase motors and rewire to single phase but I'm not sure if it works to use one as a generator too. I haven't dug into Rotoverter stuff enough yet to really be clear on it. I'm not planning to build one of those but have some other ideas in mind for this motor. Thanks for your help and good luck with the newer build.
      There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Quote from Almine

Comment

• Harvest Time.

Hello UFO Et al, i have been very busy lately with farm work, that can't wait.

First was my extremely late, maise harvest, and then my early wheat harvest, and planting Zuccini and sweet corn blocks.

Next is this years Garlic harvest, which will be X 4 of last year, it starts in about 3 weeks, and needs prep work.

Somewhere in between this, i hope to finish winding my motor's rotor.

Just thought i would post a few pics of wheat harvest and Bullbous, my lovely quiet bull.

Hope to join you guy's soon.

Warm Regards Cornboy.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

• Might be off topic but I always like seeing your pics Cornboy. Wish I had as much energy as it takes to do farming. So you are getting 4 times the Garlic crop this year? I love Garlic - use it all the time (it's a great thing for health and one of the world's best Herbalist's favorite herbs).

I think I may have found an answer on my 3 phase motor/gen output question. It appears from what I've found elsewhere that you can either have 3 phase output, three single phase outputs or by adding diodes (and capacitors also I believe) have a DC output.
          There is no important work, there are only a series of moments to demonstrate your mastery and impeccability. Quote from Almine

Comment

• I got some other info from a person who I consider one of free energy's top motor guru's. I'm posting it here even though a bit off topic some may find it of value to throw in your motor info bin

"Not sure but have three ideas - first, a 3ph transformer in reverse? (??)

Other idea is connect up to single phase into rotovertor mode, with the run cap across L2 and L3 and take power out from the 3ph motor through
            that run cap phase, which would be single phase but not sure how well you can get the motor to generate like that as have never tried it like that as
            alternator-only,....

it being Asynchronous if lucky might mean it also has permanent magnets to it ?? If so it would be nice generator to charge battery bank - so third idea is put inverter across battery bank for your power, and charge battery bank with that motor after its rectified to DC (the output of it...)

anyways there are some stabs at it...I bet most practical will be a transformer to convert 3ph to single phase....

ciao Konehead "

Comment

• Baldor coming together

Dual comm mounted

Need to build up a new bearing mount higher up on the shaft.

Looking at a trifilar 30ga coil, has a nominal diameter of .02", 21ga is .03", what I would have substituted for the orig 19ga. As trifilar the resistance will be 2.3 ohm per 100' and I am estimating 125'-150' of wire. And maybe more if the nominal diameter estimate holds up. This trifilar could mean over 4 ohms per coil. A quad filar nominal diameter is a little more than the 21ga dia, but significantly less than the original 19ga. It took a total 450' etd. wire in the orig. winding. So a quad could come in at a little over 2 ohms.

@Ufo, any recommendations?

EDIT: Made some more exact estimates on nominal tri/quad filar diameters and resistances. Quad filar using 30ga is coming in at .029" dia. while the orig. 19ga is .038". I was surprised to see that the original symmetric winding completely filled the rotor poles, and am estimating the Dual Pentagon Y winding pattern will use the same amount of wire. Dividing to per-coil numbers yields 90' increasing to 160' going by the ratio of cross-sectional area. This means that the Q-filar will have a resistance of 3 ohms, in the high end of your range you gave me before for this Baldor Asym project, Ufo!! I am liking these numbers! I will be happy with the ohms increasing or decreasing from this point if there is something unaccounted for.
              Last edited by sampojo; 10-25-2013, 04:38 AM.
              Up, Up and Away

Comment

• Originally posted by ewizard View Post
                ... Can one rewire a 3 phase motor like this to produce single phase power?.....
                Unfortunately NO. It generates three individual mono phases but regarding timing they are 120 degree shifted each. Imagine it to be like a 3 cylinder crancshaft. This property is given by geometry of motor and can not be changed by rewinding. Rotoverter guys rewind motors in order to adapt winding to load and energy flow / resonance impedance.
                As motor you can run it by replacing a phase by a cap generating a lousy timed 3rd phase. Trying to do same for gen would be highly dependent on load - hence unusable.

But there will be no problem to use 3 different and separated circuits 120/230V each. They do not need necessarly be accessed by same load amount. If you want to have 1KW you could operate a gen three phase 3x333W. If you want to have power from one single phase you should operate a 3 x 1KW gen in order to not overload that singele winding. But of course you have two spare ones left .
                Most expensive methode would be to rectify 3 phase to DC and operate a solar DC/AC converter. Modern ones operate in MPPT mode. In wide range they do not care of input voltage (some go up to 1000V) but try to extract maximum power in order to get output stable. In technical terms: They are switched DC/AC PSUs with extremely wide input voltage and being able to operate step up and step down voltage.
                Due to the fact that Chineese float the market with solar technology those converters are quite cheap and even more as 2nd hand (search at eBay).
                Current SiC technology (diodes / FETs) will give to them much more effectivity soon.

My advice: Use your motor gen as is until you have your first working setup. You can go further later on.
                JS
                Last edited by JohnStone; 10-24-2013, 07:20 AM.
                Experts spend hours a day in order to question their doing while others stopped thinking feeling they were professionals.

Comment

• Originally posted by ewizard View Post
                  Might be off topic but I always like seeing your pics Cornboy. Wish I had as much energy as it takes to do farming. So you are getting 4 times the Garlic crop this year? I love Garlic - use it all the time (it's a great thing for health and one of the world's best Herbalist's favorite herbs).

I think I may have found an answer on my 3 phase motor/gen output question. It appears from what I've found elsewhere that you can either have 3 phase output, three single phase outputs or by adding diodes (and capacitors also I believe) have a DC output.

Thanks Ewizard, i hope nobody minds me bringing my everyday work to this thread, it just feels ok to share.

Comment

• Good pics

@Cornboy

Great pic of your bull! It's refreshing to see nature, especially through the eyes of a team member. It's needed every now and then

Keep it Clean and Green
                    Midaz

Comment

• Hello

First test toroidal fields.
                      First test of toroidal field theory - YouTube

Machine

Comment

• If you watch nassim video that john posted on other thread, the schartzchild proton, looks like the two pole set up. I don't know, what do you think? Torroids and black holes, toroid in attraction, small haze of magnetic field. As poles are set up, orbitals are created, more energy is output. [IMG]

machine

Comment

• Originally posted by machinealive View Post
                          Hello

First test toroidal fields.
                          First test of toroidal field theory - YouTube

Machine
                          Please watch: Nassim Haramein Free Energy & The Future Of Science - YouTube - especially starting with 13:31
                          Experts spend hours a day in order to question their doing while others stopped thinking feeling they were professionals.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnStone View Post
                            Unfortunately NO. It generates three individual mono phases but regarding timing they are 120 degree shifted each. Imagine it to be like a 3 cylinder crancshaft. This property is given by geometry of motor and can not be changed by rewinding. Rotoverter guys rewind motors in order to adapt winding to load and energy flow / resonance impedance.
                            As motor you can run it by replacing a phase by a cap generating a lousy timed 3rd phase. Trying to do same for gen would be highly dependent on load - hence unusable.

But there will be no problem to use 3 different and separated circuits 120/230V each. They do not need necessarly be accessed by same load amount. If you want to have 1KW you could operate a gen three phase 3x333W. If you want to have power from one single phase you should operate a 3 x 1KW gen in order to not overload that singele winding. But of course you have two spare ones left .
                            Most expensive methode would be to rectify 3 phase to DC and operate a solar DC/AC converter. Modern ones operate in MPPT mode. In wide range they do not care of input voltage (some go up to 1000V) but try to extract maximum power in order to get output stable. In technical terms: They are switched DC/AC PSUs with extremely wide input voltage and being able to operate step up and step down voltage.
                            Due to the fact that Chineese float the market with solar technology those converters are quite cheap and even more as 2nd hand (search at eBay).
                            Current SiC technology (diodes / FETs) will give to them much more effectivity soon.

My advice: Use your motor gen as is until you have your first working setup. You can go further later on.
                            JS
                            I didn't think most of the Rotoverters were rewound. I know they change the external wiring normally and add capacitors. I found this info also and would be interested in your thoughts on this. It's from dieselserviceandsupply.com:

"Phase Conversion in Generators:
                            (1) Reconfiguring Coil Connection
                            A three-phase generator can be converted to a single-phase one by altering the connection between its stator windings inside or outside the generator head. For instance, in the case of a 3-phase generator, you would have 6 leads. Larger generators commonly have 12 leads from six coils and all the wires come out of the generator making it easier to configure the generator in a variety of ways as follows –

• Connecting the coils in series will convert the generator to a single-phase one.
                            • By connecting opposite coils in series, you can double the output voltage.
                            • A parallel connection will double the flow of current.

The tricky part of reconfiguring a generator lies in mapping the wires emerging from the generator to the coils they are connected to. It is necessary to have the manufacturer’s documents. Else, you would need to study how your generator is currently wired and work backwards from there.

(2) Centre-Tapping Single-Phase Loads To Three-Phase Generators
                            A three-phase generator can be viewed as a combination of three single-phase units. Single-phase loads can be connected to a three-phase generator in one of the following ways –

• Connect the load between a phase conductor and the system neutral. This is usually done for low-power loads.
                            • Connect the load across two live conductors in a phase-to-phase connection. This is usually done for high-power loads such as air conditioners or heaters and provides 208 V. However, this may lead to poor performance since appliances require 240 V for operation would run at 75% of their rated capacity at 208 V."

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnStone View Post
                              Please watch: Nassim Haramein Free Energy & The Future Of Science - YouTube - especially starting with 13:31
                              Sorry to point out, the video linked is only 9 minutes long

Comment

• Ok, silence, , I would consider those results as positive. If you place the two pole drawing over the toroid in the video, the fields are set up as I expected.

By the way, you never go into the woods without a compass, you should all have a compass. And I'm not putting up drawings with my name on them so I can own the world, or inflate my own toroid. I'm putting it out there so WE can own the world, at least a fair, fighting, chance.

Even bulbous. He's a beauty Cornboy.

Me...we

Later

Comment

Working...
                                X