Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expressing my concerns

Originally posted by JohnStone View Post
    What do you refer to be high voltage? Monster stands about 600V - spikes of course included. Spikes are defined by last amperage to be switched off, how fast switching is and spikes add to PSU voltage. In fact high voltage depends on specific application. It needs to be defined.

If we use FETs with higher voltage they have the drawback of more RDSon = more heat at same voltage. We can use more FETs in parallel but then we need to review Monster circuit thouroughly and possibly a new miniaturized layout (less inductivity = faster).
    Else we can use those SiC (silicone carbide) semiconductors from Cree. (Some other companies come up with SiC technolog being licensed by Cree) They offer 1200V and still low RDSon and still fast because of low gate capacitance (about 50 USD for one piece). I do not know just now if we face some additional technical demands. Needs to be evaluated.
    Please regard this to be a future outlook for next steps.
    JS
    Hey JS,

My Nightmare is a bike that has the gearing Capability of 160 mph+ and the fet(s) legs fry open. What if that happens during a corner and our driver crashes because of the extreme surge of torque. The bike will spin in a circle until it uprights itself. Then it's a ghost rider bike/no driver...at top speed!! There is a high chance that someone would get seriously injured. The TT Isle of Man race has thousands of Spectators sitting inches away and unprotected along that public road course. Plus, it's broadcast live.

UFO and recently Kogs have had runaway motors! Both of them were shook up. Even though we laugh about it now, we can't have that happen at the TT Isle of Man.

JS, UFO and team,
    Dana has been working very hard trying to find rock solid solutions. We may need 120 volts+ to keep up with the big boys or at least make a notable showing at the race. At 120volts+, imagine how many RPMs that motor will spin at with no one controlling it. We dont want to be the bad apple! I think I can speak for Dana also, when I say, Safety First!

Keep it Clean and green
    Midaz
    Last edited by Midaztouch; 09-09-2013, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Midaztouch View Post
      My Nightmare is a bike that has the gearing Capability of 160 mph+ and the fet(s) legs fry open. ..z

The overall strategy for safe equipment is:
      • Imgagine what components possibly get failing
      • Imagine how they can get failing exactly
      • Use fail conditions in order to construct a safe condition
      • Include complete safety circuit in overall strategy as well .

Suggestion being inline with rules above:
      Use 200A (or more) fuse like used in car electrics. (I bet you have one!)
      Check for max voltage in order to prevent constant burning by arcing. In doubt use 2 in series or pack it in a little box filled with sand.
      Provide a kind of "dead man's handle" that can short circuit electric current AFTER that fuse. For this action you do not need a heavy duty switch as it is temporarly and in emergency case only. It does no harm if it dies with molten contact after activation!
      You could use a FET for short circuit as well. It is safe because as it melts down internally the fuse reacts and you are safe again. It does no harm.

At motor boats they use a cord that disconnects ignition in case it gets pulled.
      You might find an adapted method in order to detect the bike driver looses control. (man overboard)
      You might decide to activate emergency case additionally by radio control - but a safe one please.

Summary:
      Use a heavy duty car fuse at battery output
      • Connect your circuit for power train
      • Connect fuse blower (switch or FET) in parallel
      • Control fuse blower by emergency switch

JS
      Last edited by JohnStone; 09-09-2013, 02:50 PM.
      Experts spend hours a day in order to question their doing while others stopped thinking feeling they were professionals.

Comment

• Nice, stress relief!

Suggetion:
        Use 200A (or more) fuse like used in car electrics. (I bet you have one!)
        Check for max voltage in order to prevent constant burning by arcing. In doubt use 2 in series or pack it in a little box filled with sand.
        Provide a kind of "dead man's handle" that can short circuit electric current AFTER that fuse. For this action you do not need a heavy duty switch as it is temporarly and in emergency case only. It does no harm if it dies with molten contact after activation!
        You could use a FET for short circuit as well. It is safe because as it melts down internally the fuse reacts and you are safe again. It does no harm.

At motor boats they use a cord that disconnects ignition in case it gets pulled.
        You might find an adapted method in order to detect the bike driver looses control. (man overboard)
        You might decide to activate emergency case additionally by radio control - but a safe one please.

Summary:
        Use a heavy duty car fuse at battery output
        • Connect your circuit for power train
        • Connect FET in parallel
        • Control FET by emergency switch

The overall strategy for safe equitpment is:
        • Imgagine what components possibly get failing
        • Imagine how they can get failing exactly
        • Use fail conditions in order to construct a safe condition.

JS
        JS,

Thank you so kindly! I've been stressing for weeks about a run away motorcycle. I will Definitely add the MAN overboard cord to the Buy list! I think that all electric motorcycles should have this safety feature. Where can I order from?

Many minds working as one is very powerful!

Keep it Clean and green
        Midaz

Comment

• Hi Midaz,
          please reread my post as I added some facts.
          You can buy those pull cords at those guys dealing with motor boats or accessories. But please consider racing to be a demanding business and you might need to modify your strategy in terms of mechanic conditions.
          • You might want to have a very short pull cord with few spirals only (regard a simple handset cable from a scrap telephone and modify it).
          • You might want to fix the cord to your bike by a small cable tie or other means with approximately known break force (i.e. 10N).
          • You might want to add a wireless emergency signal in order to perform as emergency call (less safe and some kind of second level alarm only - but helpful).
          • You might add a means for testing if your emergency circuit is still functioning. I.e. disconnect fuse, put a LED with resistor across, check if LED is off before activation, operate switch, check to be on while activation, restore run condition
          Last edited by JohnStone; 09-09-2013, 02:58 PM.
          Experts spend hours a day in order to question their doing while others stopped thinking feeling they were professionals.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnStone View Post
            Hi Midaz,
            please reread my post as I added some facts.
            You can buy those pull cords at those guys dealing with motor boats or accessories. But please consider racing to be a demanding business and you might need to modify your strategy in terms of mechanic conditions.
            • You might want to have a very short pull cord with few spirals only (regard a simple handset cable from a scrap telephone and modify it).
            • You might want to fix the cord to your bike by a small cable tie or other means with approximately known break force (i.e. 10N).
            • You might want to add a wireless emergency signal in order to perform as emergency call (less safe and some kind of second level alarm only - but helpful).
            • You might add a means for testing if your emergency circuit is still functioning. I.e. disconnect fuse, put a LED with resistor across, check if LED is off before activation, operate switch, check to be on while activation, restore run condition
            Team UP,

We have until the middle of April to gauge our progress. I have to book airfare and bike(s) shipping by then. I know there will be major advancements in the next 7 mts. So, I'm not rushing but walking rather quickly!

Good night...zzzz
            Midaz

Comment

• Hey UFO, I realized you were referring to how to couple ,but, for quick exchange. On the bottom end, opposite brushes, the drum will bolt to outer disc, which will be outside the bearing. We'll have to pull a few bolts, but then the rest will slide out. But I like the trans axel shaft idea, just did not think of that. Hopefully this will be easier to build, but it will be harder to remove then your idea.
              I'm gonna try to find cheap mica for slip, but, I want big, so, probably will have to buy mica sheets, or I could use oak, just to insulate slip from shaft. Think wood can work there, I'll make them big, to keep down heat. Really big.
              For drum, i thought maybe I'd drill and screw aluminum spacers onto inner cylinder, then wind, then slide outer cylinder on, then screw to spacers. Leave outer tube a little longer to bolt to hub (star). But, I'll see how thick of al tubes I can get, you're way may be easier, faster.

Hanon1492, thanks hanon, I've only started to really think about winding coils, I think the author wound his coils 180, around centre of drum ( I nodded off last night as soon as I started to read it, and I'm at work now). But I would have thought induced currents would oppose, since both sides of induced coil, would face a South Pole, that would make sense with 2 pole stator, one north and one south. But if we wind coils, so one side is facing South Pole, but other is facing north, at 90' the current would flow correct . Wind coils big enough so they enter respective field at same time. That would have been my thought, each side should be facing opposite pole stator coil at 90. I'll need to think about that. I need to read that paper a few more times. Or wind to 90 then bend the coil, UFO style, to the next 90. I will be interested in what UFO has to say.

Comment

• Hanon, I read the paper you posted, quickly, just now. the author said the same thing i just said. and I like figure 9 . That is what I would have wound, except, possibly bend the coils at 90, and for that matter, keep bending, at each 90, till all four stators are inducing each coil, through each half cycle.

Comment

• Bike Safety...

Originally posted by Midaztouch View Post
                  JS,

Thank you so kindly! I've been stressing for weeks about a run away motorcycle. I will Definitely add the MAN overboard cord to the Buy list! I think that all electric motorcycles should have this safety feature. Where can I order from?

Many minds working as one is very powerful!

Keep it Clean and green
                  Midaz
                  Hello Midaz,

I have been working on my E Bike for last couple of weeks...It did NOT come from factory with a Solenoid...or an Emergency Cut Out Switch...The new controller I've got only guarantee controller unless you install a Relay with a Pre Charge Resistor on it...Relay is being switched on (Energizing Coil) by Ign switch positive (low amp side circuit), then relay HV,HA contacts close circuit from positive Batt to Controller (Controller Negative is direct to batt)...So, the Safety switch must go on the Positive side, between Batt + and Relay +...So even if FET's go bad closing all contacts...you will kill all power from the High End...or Positive side. Also remember that MUST Controllers, including the Monster...uses N-Channel FET's...so what they close is the -neg side.

I have already display this circuit in prev pages...as it could also apply to installation on any EV we make based on Monster Controllers and Imperial...and that's gonna be my next "Café Racer"...

I found a very good turn key switch...removable key...that they make in order to prevent theft of some small vessels...like Jet Ski, or Motorcycles...it can stand up to 150A...and I will show later on a picture where I installed it...

Regards

Ufopolitics
                  Principles for the Development of a Complete Mind: Study the science of art. Study the art of science. Develop your senses- especially learn how to see. Realize that everything connects to everything else.― Leonardo da Vinci

Comment

• Really sick SiC.

Hello Midas, Et al, as John Stone posted, SiC modules, will probably be the way forward, some of the best i have seen are at www.apei.net they also have Sic dedicated drivers.

I havn't been game to price them yet???

Think ya better have a big bank roll.

All the best Cornboy.

Comment

• SiC modules and more

Originally posted by Cornboy 555 View Post
                      Hello Midas, Et al, as John Stone posted, SiC modules, will probably be the way forward, some of the best i have seen are at Arkansas Power Electronics International, Inc. Home Page they also have Sic dedicated drivers.

All the best Cornboy.
                      Team UP

Let's present finding/suggestion to Dana as well. As far ar the race bikes go, Dana is the Crew Chief for Team UP. He is very thoughtful and easy to communicate with. The more ideas the merrier. As Crew Chief, he will help filter through suggestion and then render best possible solution(s) for the bikes. Since we have to bikes we could use two solutions.

Please check out the Race course, a lot of long fast straight aways around the island: Welcome to iomtt.com - The official Isle of Man TT website

UFO, they have a special class for CAFE RACERS! Your class is to showcase the bikes and fun. Basically, a lot of big boys networking

Keep it Clean and Green
                      Midaz
                      Last edited by Midaztouch; 09-10-2013, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cornboy 555 View Post
                        Hello Midas, Et al, as John Stone posted, SiC modules, will probably be the way forward, some of the best i have seen are at Arkansas Power Electronics International, Inc. Home Page they also have Sic dedicated drivers.

All the best Cornboy.
                        Well, that's great news.
                        I figure we do not need to develop more "monsterous" Monster drivers. We might get the current design shrinked in size along some minor improvements. Then it is ready for testing setups of all kind in public hand. DOT
                        Those SiC modules will flood the market soon along drastic price reduction (expected: 50% per year).
                        They incorporate up to 10 SiC FETs, 100A ...1000A, 600V...1200V, 35ns, 14 mOhm switching, operation temp. 225°C.

The good news is that the current technology prepares to serve free energy devices and is somewhat ahead.
                        JS
                        Last edited by JohnStone; 09-10-2013, 10:32 AM.

Comment

• Are they really free!?

Well, that's great news.

The good news is that the current technology prepares to serve free energy devices and is somewhat ahead.
                          JS
                          Are you sure they're FREE energy devices? That piece sure look and sound really Expensive

Midaz
                          Last edited by Midaztouch; 09-10-2013, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Midaztouch View Post
                            Are you sure they're FREE energy devices? That piece sure look and sound really Expensive

Midaz
                            It IS quite expensive just now but soon lots of competitors will work diligently for lower prices.
                            It is no free device but suitable to be applied to free energy devices.
                            JS

Comment

• Hanon, it looks like Bajac-wongu, in fig 9 turned the 4-pole back to a 2-pole.
                              This is what I was thinking.

Comment

• Originally posted by stupify12
                                Can you show me a schematic of how the ATX Power Supply Unit Altenately Discharge the two Electrolytic 220uf 200v in its ferrite Transformer? Just the arragement of the transistor and how it is being trigged. Thnx
                                Agree with prochiro. It will need too many posts. Please delete your posts - so will I and prochiro.
                                Sorry
                                JS

Comment

Working...
                                X