Information on Melatonin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information on Melatonin

PATHS Sleep Module encourages the body to produce the optimum amount of melatonin. Unfortunately not everyones bodies will do so. In these instances, a Melatonin supplement can be beneficial. A good Melatonin supplement will have only melatonin in it, and possibly calcium or magnesium.

Melatonin is secreted by the pineal gland, a pea-size structure at the center of the brain, as our eyes register the fall of darkness." At night melatonin is produced to help our bodies regulate our sleep-wake cycles. The amount of melatonin produced by our body seems to lessen as we get older. Scientists believe this may be why young people have less problem sleeping than older people.

Are there any side-effects?

According to one report, "10 percent of the users said the hormone did nothing for them, and another 10 percent complained of side effects such as nightmares, headaches, morning groginess, mild depression, and low sex drive. In past studies, researchers have given people up to 600 to 3,000 times the usual doses - without causing any toxicity."

Should certain people avoid it?

Yes. "Those include women who are pregnant or nursing (since no one knows how excessive exposure to the hormone might affect a fetus or infant); people with severe allergies or autoimmune diseases (melatonin could exacerbate such conditions by stimulating the immune system); people with immune-system cancers such as lymphoma or leukemia (for the same reason), and healthy children (who already produce it in abundance). Women trying to conceive should also think twice about taking the hormone, since high doses can act as a contraceptive." As with any substance introduced into your body, if you have a medical condition you should always consult your physician first before taking melatonin.

Is melatonin safe?

Melatonin is one of the least toxic substances known. People have taken as much as 6 grams (600 to 3000 times the normal dosage) of the substance in carefully monitored studies with no sign of toxicity. Only four complaints regarding melatonin have been report to the FDA (USA's Food and Drug Administration). The only consistent side effect of high doses has been drowsiness and a slower reaction time. In the most extensive clinical trial to date a high dose of 75 milligrams of melatonin per day was given to 1400 women in the Netherlands for up to four years with no ill effects. The FDA reports that in the more than two years melatonin has been available for sale over-the-counter in the United States, no alarming side effects have been reported.

Happiness & Health,

PATHS, S.A. Staff

PATHS

Bumpity Bump!
    Happiness & Health,

PATHS, S.A. Staff

PATHS

Comment

Since discovering melatonin last year while I was becoming PATHS certified, it is my supplement of choice when I need extra help in falling asleep.

I purchased a bottle of 3mg tablets over a year ago and will take one or two tablets if sleep is alluding me. I probably only take them once every four to five weeks. However, it is nice to know I have something available that gets the job done, yet does not cause that "drugged" feeling the next morning. I also do not get "cotton mouth" with melatonin.

I have also felt comfortable in recommending it to someone who stays clear of traditional sleeping aids due to their addictive tendancies.
      Namaste,
      Pamela
      Discover the Single Greatest Health Science Breakthrough of the Century

Comment

Anyone know why you can't buy Melatonin over the counter in the UK??
        I don't have trouble sleeping now, but did before I started with Paths, and tried to get Melatonin - but was told it was presciption only in the UK.

Love and Light and Magic xxx
        Reprogram Your Subconscious to Achieve Conscious Goals. Now you can try PATHS for Free!
        Please pop in to my new: Law of Attraction Tools Blog - It would be Wonderful to see you there!
        Free Trial - Bob Proctor Coaching Program

Comment

Hmmm...I didn't know that Odille. Are other supplements precription there?

If in the future you will like some, I will be happy to mail them to you.
          Namaste,
          Pamela
          Discover the Single Greatest Health Science Breakthrough of the Century

Comment

>> anyone know why you can't buy Melatonin over the counter in the UK??

The latest story to emerge in Saturday's "Finanical Times" is that the
            Medicines Control Agency has issued a fiat to all retailers that they
            must cease selling Melatonin within 14 days.

The agency admits that it has no evidence that Melatonin is unsafe, but
            has simply declared it to be a medicine and that it requires the usual
            run of expensive and time consuming tests before it can be offered to
            the public for consumption. Most suppliers are expected to comply
            as they can't risk entanglement with such dangerous people as the MCA.
            No suppliers will submit the hormone to be tested as the high cost
            cannot be recovered from sales as it is unpatentable.

The FT said that the MCA were concerned at suggestions that Melatonin
            may be extending maximum lifespan. Consumption has increased
            substantially following the publication of books and magazine articles.
            I suggest it is possible that the UK government are concered as to the
            pension and elderly care implications if maximum lifespan is extended
            without any comparable extension of good health.
            Best to search for facts that back the comments quoted above.

In the past I managed to disrupt my sleep cycle with plenty of physical training. Melatonin helped me balance that again.
            I still ocassionally use it, especially when I'm up late to supply what my body cant that night. (light counters the production of melatonin)

See this article covering a recent study done on Melatonin and one possible negative effect.

02.07.2005 - Popular supplement melatonin found to have broader effects in brain than once thought

cheers
            “If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
            I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.” ~ Nicola Tesla

Comment

other melatonin connection

Melatonin is anti-cancerous and anti-aging.

Women with disrupted sleep cycles or sleeping with lights on have a tendency to have higher incidents of breast cancer. With lights on or disrupted sleep, there isn't as much melatonin produced.
              Sincerely,
              Aaron Murakami

Books & Videos https://emediapress.com
              Conference http://energyscienceconference.com
              RPX & MWO http://vril.io

Comment

Melatonin is a real life-saver. I first tried it several years ago and it did not help so I stopped taking it. About a year ago I tried it again and it works wonderfully! I believe it did not work the first time I tried it because I was not using PATHS. The combination of PATHS and melatonin is key!

Now I use it quite a bit in 3mg form (1 or 2 pills depending on if I am hyper or not) and I am sleeping like a baby!
                The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen.
                -Eden Phillpotts

www.pathsforpeace.com

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...faces?siteId=3

Comment

The combination of PATHS Sleep Modules and Melatonin has helped transform many lives!
                  Happiness & Health,

PATHS, S.A. Staff

PATHS

Comment

Bumping!
                    Happiness & Health,

PATHS, S.A. Staff

PATHS

Comment

Working...
                    X