Electronic Cigarettes|Vaping|e-cigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic Cigarettes|Vaping|e-cigs

I have recently learned a bit about electronic cigarettes.

Very interesting, no tobacco, no ashes, no smoke. A vapor that looks like smoke.

"An Electronic Cigarette, or "E-Cigarette", is an alternative to smoked tobacco products, such as cigarettes, cigars, or pipes. It is a battery-powered device that provides inhaled doses of nicotine by delivering a vaporized propylene glycol / nicotine solution. In addition to nicotine delivery, this vapor also provides a flavor and physical sensation similar to that of inhaled tobacco smoke, while no tobacco, smoke, or combustion is actually involved in its operation.

Unlike a traditional cigarette, the Electronic Cigarette does not contain tobacco. It also does not contain any carcinogens such as tar and carbon monoxide. By replacing your tobacco smoking habits with our Electronic Cigarette, you will not only benefit from a healthier life, but you will also have the freedom to smoke anywhere in the world, including bars and restaurants where smoking is prohibited."

And get this!!!

There are all different flavors!!! From standard tobacco flavors, to menthol, to Mocha, to cheesecake, chocolate, brandy, pina colada, watermelon, cotton candy, cinnamon, english toffee, and hundreds more...some with nicotine, some with zero nicotine!

An innovative alternative to smoking!

And this really cracks me up!

Cigarettes produce smoke, so it is called smoking.

E-cigs produce vapor, so it is called vaping.

Kevin

PATHS For Healing
    Energetic Science Ministries
    Meditation at the Click of a Button, Guaranteed!

ESM Forum Support Link

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
    It also does not contain any carcinogens
    such as tar and carbon monoxide.
    Oh really, what types of carcinogens does it contain...?

I'm sure that inhaling those delightfully vaporized
    synthetic, chemical 'flavors' are completely harmless...

Right...?

Comment

Originally posted by MythMath View Post

Right...?
      The main ingredient is a nicotine. Dozen or so "known" carcinogens are not present. Flavors are just as dangerous as flavored air freshener. Now, get that: Earlier this year Health Canada banned them, saying that there is no proof that they are safe alternative to smoking tobacco! Well, cigarettes have been tested and proved being harmful and releasing several known carcinogens. Despite that they can be legally purchased over the counter. Nicotine is well known and present in both products. Main reason - no idea how to tax them, since they aren't tobacco products! I've been talking to few people who managed to quit smoking and switched to e-cigarettes without any withdrawal symptoms.

Vtech
      'Get it all on record now - get the films - get the witnesses -because somewhere down the road of history some bastard will get up and say that this never happened'

General D.Eisenhower

http://www.nvtronics.org

Comment

Right...?
        As far as I have seen, they do not contain any carcinogens.

It should be pretty apparent that vaping is LESS harmful than smoking....even if vaping does have some negative aspects, it is far less than smoking.

Nicotine is a vaso-constrictor, as is caffeine.

Kevin

PATHS For Healing

ESM Forum Support Link

Comment

I just did a quick google search and found these kinds
          of concerns; granted they may not all be completely
          applicable, but at least they're something to consider:

Nicotine, in any form is addictive
          and also potentially toxic.

When nicotine is heated, vaporized
          and inhaled, what is its impact?

Electronic cigarettes are unregulated.

What is the amount of nicotine present
          in the product, and how much nicotine is
          delivered to the human body?

Electronic cigarettes do not have quality control.
          Most of them are made in China.

An analysis of 19 varieties of electronic cigarettes
          found that half contained nitrosamines (the same
          carcinogen found in real cigarettes) and that many
          contained diethylene glycol, the poisonous ingredient
          in antifreeze.

Some that claimed to have no nicotine were
          found to have low levels of the drug.
          Last edited by MythMath; 10-25-2009, 08:36 AM.

Comment

I just did a quick google search and found these kinds
            of concerns; granted they may not all be completely
            applicable, but at least they're something to consider:

Nicotine, in any form is addictive
            and also potentially toxic.

The above is true. The same as it is for sugar, caffeine, and dozens of other things most of us ingest each day.

When nicotine is heated, vaporized
            and inhaled, what is its impact?

It is a stimulant and vasoconstrictor, the same as caffeine and the same as nicotine in a cigarette.

Electronic cigarettes are unregulated.

You state this as if that is a bad thing. Without getting into it too much, it is my belief that over regulation is a huge part of the challenges facing our world today. Many believe personal responsibility and freedom are better than big brother controlling our lives

The above is true in the US and many other countries. Unfortunately big business and big government are doing their best to try and regulate it.

What is the amount of nicotine present
            in the product, and how much nicotine is
            delivered to the human body?

Here is a link to a study addressing the above question:
            http://www.healthnz.co.nz/RuyanCartr...t30-Oct-08.pdf

No one, including myself, is suggesting use of the e-cig for non-cigarette smokers...it IS suggested as a safer alternative to smoking and/or a smoking cessation device.

Electronic cigarettes do not have quality control.
            Most of them are made in China.

The first statement above is FALSE. I hesitate to even address it for it's innate ignorance...no...not going to address it, other than to say take a look around your home, at all the items and where they are made.

Second statement is true. See above.

An analysis of 19 varieties of electronic cigarettes
            found that half contained nitrosamines (the same
            carcinogen found in real cigarettes) and that many
            contained diethylene glycol, the poisonous ingredient
            in antifreeze.

An analysis by who? Where is this analysis? Are you aware that the human body produces trace amounts of nitrosamines? Are you aware that nitrosamines are found in many foods?

Tobacco contains very high levels of nitrosamines, SOME (not all) e-cig vapor contains trace amounts...1200 times LESS than a regular cigarette.

The statement regarding diethylene glycol is a FALSE but a persistent myth.

Here are some facts about glycols-

ETHYLENE glycol is antifreeze. This is the stuff you buy at Walmart and mix with water to protect your engine. It's usually dyed some fluorescent color and is very toxic. If you spill some while working on your vehicle, immediately clean it up as it has sweet taste and might attract animals.

PROPYLENE glycol is used in eliquid (and just about everything else) It is GRAS (generally recognized as safe) by the FDA and can be found in a multitude of products, foods, and cosmetics.

DIETYLENE glycol is the chemical that the FDA is concerned about. Ironically, it is used in COOLING systems as it's "antifreeze" properties are very poor, only lowering the freezing temp by a few degrees. It is toxic in humans. This chemical is the one that caused the FDA to be created (look up "Elixir sulfanilamide incident")

For more info on the safety of PG and amounts of nitrosamines
            Propylene glycol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.healthnz.co.nz/RuyanCartr...t30-Oct-08.pdf

Some that claimed to have no nicotine were
            found to have low levels of the drug.

I am sure this is true. Just as thousands of food items claim to be salt free or sugar free, but when tested trace amounts (low levels) are found.

A few other comments:

The spin of referring to nicotine as a drug is just that, spin to incite fear.

It is a drug, no doubt, just as caffeine and aspirin are drugs. But these people that refer to nicotine as a drug, do they refer to caffeine as a drug?

Or is there an agenda to keep people smoking cigarettes instead of the less harmful alternative of e-cigs?

Kevin

PATHS For Healing

ESM Forum Support Link

Comment

I bet its still unhealthy if you try to light it.

Im convinced that the "personal fire" is one of the reasons people smoke. Oldest psychedelic was staring into a fire. All sorts of patterns and ideas emerge when one stares into a real fire... something that Flicker Flame can not do for you. If you are satisfied with similarities and analogues then Ecig might work, same way flicker flame might work. Personally, more then a third of the enjoyment of smoking comes with the manipulation of a flame and possession of an ember. The warm glow you feel on your face and hands when you pull. No cold E cig can come close. Besides... pure nicotine is fatal. One drop on your palm can go through your skin and poison you in minutes.

I'm not saying that smoking factory cigs is better, rolling your own is much better. alot of chemicals are done away with if you choose quality rolling tobacco. Some are still there... but if you have to poison yourself, do it naturally. There are worse things being sprayed in the air right now then is in a cigarette.

I saw those Ecigs at the mall... I laughed. smoking indoors.

I forget what they are called but there is another brand of cigs like that but no battery. Some carbon something rod in the middle of the cig that you ignite and it bakes the tobacco like a hookah instead of burning it. Only the tip ashes, and you breathe in a vapor. Those were neat. Those had personal fire.

Comment

Working...
              X