Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Garden Light Joule Thief HELP needed

Hello,

I'm trying to convert a basic garden solar light.
    The standard garden light uses 1 led and i converted it to 3 leds.
    I applied different joule thief circuits to the leds but it's just not bright enough
    The standard garden light uses just 8 ma and i want to get more light with the 3 leds with the same (or less ) amp draw.

I already used the basic joule thief circuit (amp draw 40ma )
    Basic joule thief with secondary (not bright enough)
    Backwards Joule Thief from kooler (not bright enough)

Has anyone got a good circuit for me to try???

PS.
    I'm using lidmotors solar circuit!
    Last edited by Flux4Energizer; 05-20-2011, 03:33 PM. Reason: incomplete title

Is there nobody here who can help me with a good circuit to drive 3 leds at at least 80% brightness for under 24ma ???

Comment

flux
      i didn't think you was worried about ma's so i posted xee'2 video in the other forum.. but here is you a circuit for those 3 leds..just keep the leds in parallel..
      BWJT

robbie

Comment

Originally posted by Flux4Energizer View Post
        Hello,

I'm trying to convert a basic garden solar light.
        The standard garden light uses 1 led and i converted it to 3 leds.
        I applied different joule thief circuits to the leds but it's just not bright enough
        The standard garden light uses just 8 ma and i want to get more light with the 3 leds with the same (or less ) amp draw.

I already used the basic joule thief circuit (amp draw 40ma )
        Basic joule thief with secondary (not bright enough)
        Backwards Joule Thief from kooler (not bright enough)

Has anyone got a good circuit for me to try???

PS.
        I'm using lidmotors solar circuit!
        Sorry, but those circuits on Youtube almost always are missing the details that are needed for the viewer to duplicate the circuit. Not to mention the presentations are inadequate.

Assume you use a conventional JT. You can get full brightness from a single LED by using a BC337-25 transistor and a decent toroid, such as the Fair-Rite 2673002402 with 10 to 12 turns of 24 AWG for both windings. The supply current will be about 80 mA and the LED current will be about 20 mA. You can get more current by lowering the 1k resistor, but it would be better to replace the transistor with a high current one. The SS8050, 2SC2500, or KSD5041 in that order will give you increasingly more current.

The battery current will go up, too. You can use my Supercharged Joule Thief circuit, which uses less current and has higher efficiency than a conventional JT, which is only about 50 to 60 percent. Here is one of my blogs on it.

Comment

Originally posted by kooler View Post
          flux
          i didn't think you was worried about ma's so i posted xee'2 video in the other forum.. but here is you a circuit for those 3 leds..just keep the leds in parallel..
          BWJT

robbie
          Thank you very much Kooler.
          I have a few questions about the circuit tho.
          The 100 up to 200 turns bifilar, are the wound around a toroid or a ferrite rod?
          If on a toroid, what size is the toroid?
          What kind of wire is used; i presume it's magnet wire. How thick is the used wire?
          I have 0.2mm and 0.3mm wire lying around is that oke to use?

Thank you very much for the circuit looks very promising.

Regards,

Flux

Comment

Originally posted by Watson View Post
            Sorry, but those circuits on Youtube almost always are missing the details that are needed for the viewer to duplicate the circuit. Not to mention the presentations are inadequate.

Assume you use a conventional JT. You can get full brightness from a single LED by using a BC337-25 transistor and a decent toroid, such as the Fair-Rite 2673002402 with 10 to 12 turns of 24 AWG for both windings. The supply current will be about 80 mA and the LED current will be about 20 mA. You can get more current by lowering the 1k resistor, but it would be better to replace the transistor with a high current one. The SS8050, 2SC2500, or KSD5041 in that order will give you increasingly more current.

The battery current will go up, too. You can use my Supercharged Joule Thief circuit, which uses less current and has higher efficiency than a conventional JT, which is only about 50 to 60 percent. Here is one of my blogs on it.
            @Watson,

That is some circuit.
            My question about it, i hear you talking about 80ma current draw to light 1 LED.
            Is this for your circuit? Or is this for the general circuits?
            In your circuits i see you driving just one LED, but can it drive 3 and if yes should they be placed in series or in parallel?
            Thank you very much for your reply, i will build your circuit just because it looks very nice.

Regards,

Flux

Comment

lol,..
              80 ma to light a led.. hmm

flux, you can wind 15 turns bifilar on a ferrite ring and do the same as the aircore that was in the schematic i showed.. sorry i didn't say that earlier..
              it works really good on those 1'' toroids from goldmine electronics..
              if you want to use 80 ma's or more just use a camera circuit.. to light a cfl or 200-400 leds.. like pirate and gadgetmall done couple years ago at the ou.com forum..
              hope this helps

robbie

Comment

lol,..
                80 ma to light a led.. hmm

flux, you can wind 15 turns bifilar on a ferrite ring and do the same as the aircore that was in the schematic i showed.. sorry i didn't say that earlier..
                it works really good on those 1'' toroids from goldmine electronics..
                if you want to use 80 ma's or more just use a camera circuit.. to light a cfl or 200-400 leds.. like pirate and gadgetmall done couple years ago at the ou.com forum..
                hope this helps

robbie
                15 turns bifilar you say?
                Are we talking about the same circuit?
                I inserted the circuit i thought you where talking about.

kooler+ua.jpg

There it states 100 - 200 turns!
                15 turns bifilar on a toroid isn't to bad that's finished in no time
                Can you please confirm if i have the right circuit.

Regards,

Laurens

Comment

flux
                  sorry that was another error i made in the schematic ..
                  that was suppose to be a aircore.. but i made it a 200 turn soft iron core..
                  watson is right. ppl like me on you tube are retards.. haha
                  but yes the diagram you got is right.. just put a bifilar 15 turn toroid ferrite core.. wire size isn't important.. i have 26 or 24 awg phone wire on mine..
                  i get time today or tomorrow i will tear down my last solar lite i built.. 10 led solar lite i modded..
                  someone stole all my other one's
                  this time i will try my best not to make any mistakes drawing diagram..

robbie

Comment

Robbie and Flux:
                    Robbie the circuit of yours that I am trying to replicate, to connect to cement batteries, is this type, (small toroid, with secondary):
                    Your video: (@Flux also).
                    YouTube - ‪hartley oscillator update.MOV‬‏

I notice that you don't use any trim pots in that video, just the 1k resistors, and they are still running the led(s) for months.
                    There is some magic to those circuits...
                    So now I'm trying to connect cement batteries to your backward Jt circuit, like the ones that you show in the video above.
                    Any suggestions are welcome...

The pictures below are of my latest cells, which are the ones that I'm working on to improve the output or brightness of the leds, by connecting to an inverse or Hartley type circuits. Regular Jtc are more of a Joule Hog.

The first picture is of a capacitor can-cement cell, JTc- 1.2v, 50mA.
                    The next one is of three tall cement cells, 1.4v, 70 mA, each can, lighting a 15 Leds bulb. All cells use just beach sand, cement, and copper wire.
                    NickZ
                    Last edited by NickZ; 07-23-2011, 03:43 PM.

Comment

flux
                      sorry that was another error i made in the schematic ..
                      that was suppose to be a aircore.. but i made it a 200 turn soft iron core..
                      watson is right. ppl like me on you tube are retards.. haha
                      but yes the diagram you got is right.. just put a bifilar 15 turn toroid ferrite core.. wire size isn't important.. i have 26 or 24 awg phone wire on mine..
                      i get time today or tomorrow i will tear down my last solar lite i built.. 10 led solar lite i modded...
                      someone stole all my other one's
                      this time i will try my best not to make any mistakes drawing diagram..

robbie
                      @Kooler
                      Thanks for your help so far.
                      Just builded your BWJT circuit running 5 leds in series then adjusted to 3 leds.
                      Works great, don't know what went wrong the first time around.
                      I used a 13x13x7mm toroid, 11 turns on the collector 5 turns on the base and a lot on the secondary (75 up to 100). User a bc547 npn and a 471 capacitor (worked better for me then the 104 as on the circuit). Uses 8ma up to 16ma to light the leds very bright.
                      Will try your other circuit too.
                      Thanks so far, will go to sleep now it 2 am here and have to take my daughter to swimming tomorow.

Regards,

Laurens

Comment

Originally posted by NickZ View Post
                        I notice that you don't use any trim pots in that video, just the 1k resistors, and they are still running the led(s) for months.
                        There is some magic to those circuits...
                        So now I'm trying to connect cement batteries to your backward Jt The first picture is of a capacitor can-cement cell, JTc- 1.2v, 50mA.
                        The next one is of three tall cement cells, 1.4v, 70 mA, each can, lighting a 15 Leds bulb. All cells use just beach sand, cement, and copper wire.
                        NickZ
                        there is some magic to those two circuits i showed in that video..
                        very special diodes.. but both of those batteries have leaked out and i torn them down..
                        those cells you made look good..
                        i have never made a cement battery.. so i don't know which circuit would be the best.. the circuit i posted for flux earlier is probably the best running one i have built.. he is right the 471 cap does run alot better.. but i firgured that it was easier for ppl to get the 104 in stores..
                        i ave some cement in my shop i might build one ust to see..

robbie

Comment

Robbie:
                          Thanks for the reply. If your previous batteries both leaked I would just use the rechargeables ones, they don't leak, nor do the cement cells.
                          I will try to replicate your smaller coil circuit, as it probably has less resistance than the one inch toroid one. I just ordered some new pots, should have them in a day or two, and i just gots some 102 and 104 caps.
                          Can you let me know about those very special diodes???
                          Remember you mentioned that some day you'd build a big backward Jtc? Never too late... You've made some amazing circuits.

Thanks again,
                          Nick

Comment

did someone measured signal across led with oscilloscope ? is that DC , pulsed dc or rather ac oscillations ?

Comment

Originally posted by NickZ View Post
                              Robbie:

Can you let me know about those very special diodes??? Thanks again,
                              Nick
                              the diodes.. ??? haha.. its a secret.. nah
                              this old dude showed me this trick couple years ago..
                              its called cooking.. take a bread pan.. throw a bunch of glass diodes on it..
                              pitch it in the oven and try different heat setting to get the results you want.
                              what happens is the point comes lose from the contact and it become a very low voltage spark gap.. but it still just flow in one direction..
                              it takes alot of practice to get right..
                              it helps send voltage spike back to battery without pulling more from it..

bogus,
                              if your asking aout the hartley circuit.. it as ramped wave on the cap on the coil side and led has dc spikes mostly neg spikes..

robbie

Comment

Working...
                              X